Chapter 53

12 Overprotective Seniors

1 year later

“Jerelyn! 你要小心一点!” (Jerelyn! You need to be more careful)

“Yes, Mummy!” You shouted back at your mum. That’s right, your biological mother. You are already back in Singapore for almost a year. You are packing your things to prepare to move to a new apartment that your parents had bought.

While you were packing, you saw some photos that were taken about a year back during your prom night. On that particular prom night of yours, you did not ask anyone out to be your partner. Because you always wanted Kai to be your partner, and there is no one else suits to be your prom partner.

The photos were taken so clearly. Even though you did not have any partners, you enjoyed yourself a lot as you know you will be coming back to Singapore and you spent the time with all your classmates especially your best friend, Nana and your ex-dorm-mate, Eunhye.

You smiled to yourself unknowingly because of all these memories you had. Just as you were about to continue packing, another slip of photo fell out of the stack of photos that you are packing.

“Oh.” You smiled again at the photo that you missed. It was a group photo with EXO members including Kai. The photo was taken before you and Kai were together. You remembered the times you lived in Xiumin’s house. How well his parents treated you. Of course, you also remembered living in Kai’s house. When you thought of him again, you sighed and quickly place away the photo to continue packing.

“Mummy, this is the last box of my things to be delivered to the new house.” You pushed the heavy box into the living room so that the house-movers can help you to carry into the truck.

“Alright.” Your mum replied. The things in your house are slowly being cleared away, leaving an empty house. Like how you felt before leaving Korea. Before leaving Korea, you were hoping that someone will ask you to stay. Even though Nana was there, and was asking you to stay, you would still want to leave. You wanted someone who is really important to you, to ask you to stay. And that goes without saying, you were thinking of Kai. Hoping that he would appear at the airport to stop you from leaving. But he wasn’t there.

Leaving Korea is like leaving all your fond memories you had there. You felt so empty while waiting for your plane. Just like now, your house is emptied. You are leaving all your childhood memories you had in this house, to a better place. It may or may not be a better place. But you know, you can create new memories at the new environment.

***

Unloading the boxes into the new house is another problem. It is already evening. Your parents, younger brother and you were too tired to unpack. You decided to place all the boxes with your belongings into your room and will only unpack it tomorrow. You sat on your new bed, looking at the new room that belongs to you. You used to share a room with your younger brother. Then, you took out your phone and scrolled through your contacts. Unknowingly, you stopped at Kai’s contact. You started wondering if he is still with Kate. Well, maybe it’s because you saw the photos that you took back in Korea, that’s why you missed the times there so much.

You wanted to stop thinking about it, and therefore, you decided to get out of the house to walk around the new neighbourhood.

You were slowly walking to the park nearby, with your head looking up at the sky. *Such a clear night sky.* you smiled to the sky.

Because you were so concentrated on looking up at the sky, you accidentally bumped into someone.

“I’m sorry.” You immediately apologised.

“It’s okay.” The person answered. However, this voice that answered you sound very familiar to you. It is a voice that you had not been hearing. You traced up from the person’s body to the face. Your eyes widened to see him…