09.

Paradise

 

Ninth Paradise : Woohyun

 

 

“I could get used to this,” Woohyun smirked seductively from above me.

 

I pushed him off, landing a quick but useless blow to his solid abs and got up. Woohyun had landed on top of me when we made it to the other side and he wasted no time in trying to seduce me. It didn’t help that we landed on the bed in the guest bedroom that day.

 

“God forbid I ever lay with you,” I mocked him playfully.

 

He clutched at his heart dramatically, pretending to weep and moan about how unfair I was being when he had eyes only for me. I threw a pillow his way to shut him up. He pounced onto me and hugged me from behind. Silent giggles erupted in the quiet room as I fought to escape his iron grip. When the door to the room swung open, we froze in our little play to stare at the intruder. I could only gape when I saw his piercing eyes peeking out from under his messy fringe, a look of pure shock on his face.

 

“Hyeri?”

 

I didn’t blame him. What man wouldn’t be shocked catching their ex-wife in such an awkward situation like being wrapped in another man’s arms?

 

 

 

 

 

 “This is Byunghun, my ex-husband.”

 

This was possibly the most awkward moment in my life.

 

Woohyun was sitting next to me while Byunghun was seated in the couch opposite from ours. A boyish face framed by a messy mane of orange curls, he had a slim stature that was just nice, neither too lanky nor too beefed up. He looked exactly like how I remembered him, only the colours of his curls had changed, it had been brown when he first caught my eye in that corridor so many years ago. He still had that disarming smile that had made me fall in love in the first place.

 

I thought we would have lasted forever. Funny how that played out.

 

“Are you Hyeri’s new man?” He shot at Woohyun with a disapproving look.

 

“That’s none of your business,” I answered quickly before I gave Woohyun a chance to run that uncontrollable mouth of his.

 

“I think I have a right to know whom my ex-wife is sleeping around with,” he countered.

 

I blushed scarlet at his words and kept my lips pressed together to stop myself from snapping at him. What’s the point of arguing with him now? I loved him once, loved him so much I would have given my life up for him. It might be selfish of me but I wanted to leave him with a good memory.

 

“Byunghun sshi was it?” Woohyun spoke before I did and I could only watch in horror, praying for a miracle that he doesn’t do something stupid. But knowing Woohyun, it was highly unlikely.

 

Byunghun nodded stiffly, still eyeing the younger male disapprovingly.

 

“Nice to meet you. My name’s Woohyun. To answer your earlier question, no, I am not sleeping with Hyeri nor am I her new man,” he stated casually.

 

I cheered mentally, planning to reward Woohyun with some ice cream later.

 

“But I’m in love with her.”

 

“What?” Both Byunghun and I exclaimed at the same time. Those ideas of ice cream getting pushed out of the picture immediately, replaced with one of me strangling the young man next to me.

 

“I’m going to bring Mija to school,” I bolted up and made my escape. What had just transpired in the living room was out of my control and I wasn’t going to stay to see how it plays out. Woohyun, you’re on your own buddy.

 

After making sure we had everything, I rushed downstairs with Mija in toll. She squealed when she saw her daddy sitting as still as a statue in the living room and ran over to him. Byunghun broke out of his stupor and grinned at his daughter. She tripped over the carpet and into his embrace, giggling happily. They exchanged a few words before I had to literally peel Mija away from her father. She pouted angrily and made Byunghun promise that he would be here when she got back from school. He ruffled her hair and assured her that he will.

 

“Hyeri, I’ll follow you,” Woohyun clamped one firm hand on my shoulder as we were leaving. His eyes spelt all that I needed to know. It was his ‘we need to talk’ look. I sighed exasperatedly and let him tag along.

 

“Nothing in front of Mija,” I hissed before we left the house. He shrugged indifferently.

 

“And who’s this oppa?” Mija asked, eyes glinting with excitement that was beyond me.

 

“This is Woohyun oppa. Mija ah, please don’t date someone like him when you grow up,” Woohyun yelled an angry hey as I stuck my tongue out at him.

 

“Don’t listen to your umma, Mija-yang,” he bent down and did kissy faces at her while doing his weird bunny aegyo that the other guys had warned me about.

 

“Umma. This oppa is cute,” Mija stared at Woohyun, seemingly mesmerized. “But the oppa from before was better,” she added nonchalantly while turning away.

 

I burst out laughing after Mija’s rejection. Woohyun had a shocked look plastered on his face. “I’ve never been rejected by a five year old before,” he stuttered.

 

We dropped Mija off at school, with me still suffering from fits of laughter. Woohyun grabbed me by the hand roughly. I looked at him and the laughter subsided. His expression was grim and sullen. I smirked at him and let him drag me to a nearby park. The park was silent, the wet grass soaking our shoes as we settled ourselves on a wooden bench.

 

“He’s still in love with you,” Woohyun blurted out immediately.

 

I looked at him disinterestedly, playing with my fingers lazily.

 

“Is that what you’re trying to do, Woohyun?” I asked him.

 

“Does this not concern you?” He pressed on.

 

“No.”

 

He was surprised by my answer, his eyes widening considerably.

 

“Do you still love him?”

 

I chose not to answer his question. It wasn’t that I didn’t know, I just didn’t feel like telling him. I pushed myself off the bench and began walking back towards the street.

 

“Han Hyeri!” I stopped in my tracks after hearing his yell. “What I said back in the house, it’s true, all of it.” He was now directly behind me. His breath fanned across my neck, leaving a lingering sensation that sent chills up my spine.

 

“I’m in love with you.”

 

I faced him and sent him my best smirk.

 

“Only a fool will believe the words of a man who has not truly loved.”

 

I left him behind as I trudged through the cool air, blaming the chilly morning air for the blush that assaulted my cheeks.

 

“And where are you going?”

 

Byunghun was in the middle of putting his shoes on when I made it back to the house. He looked up, his dark eyes unreadable as I tried to decipher the hidden meaning lying behind those irises. He was good, still too good at hiding what he was truly thinking. I’ve always hated that part of him the most.

 

“Mother asked me to drop by today morning. She mentioned that you were sick a few days ago and was worried. Looks like her worries were unnecessary since you’re being taken care of that…boy,” he looked away, avoiding my eyes. His words left the intended impact he so obviously wanted on me. My heart wrenched and I clenched my fists a little harder.

 

I was quiet as he brushed past me lightly. I let out a deep sigh, loosening my fists before my nails could draw blood. I looked at the crescent-shaped marks sadly before I was attacked from behind in a quick but firm embrace.

 

“I’m sorry. I’ll be back this evening.”

 

The sudden warmth that engulfed my body disappeared as quickly as it came. I turned around much too late, only managing to catch a glimpse of Byunghun’s figure as he hurried down the street towards his car. He fumbled with his keys, almost dropping them as he struggled to get his door open. Once he was in the car, he sped away, leaving a trail of dust behind.

 

Woohyun finally caught up to me, wheezing slightly and complaining about the cold weather as he met me on my doorstep. He looked at me quizzically as I continued staring at the marks on both of my palms.

 

“You okay? You look a little pink, are you feeling ill again?” He reached out one cool palm and placed it gently on my forehead. I once again blamed the chilly morning air for the blush that refused to leave my cheeks in peace.

 

“I’m fine. Come on let’s go in. It’s freezing,” I moved away from him and entered the house, dreading the rest of the day already.

 

 

 

 

 

“Woohyun. Will you please stop asking me already. I know what I’m doing,” I groaned covering my head with my pillow, trying to drown out his voice physically.

 

“Nope. Not going to stop. Not until you tell me whether you’re still in love with him,” Woohyun continued droning on, earning another moan from me. I threw one pillow at him, which he dodged cleanly without even flinching.

 

“Sunggyu ahhhhhh~” I groaned, praying my protector of sorts would come to my rescue from his dongsaeng’s never ending naggings. The sounds of Woohyun’s footsteps disappeared. I peeked out from my little haven, thinking that he left the room. I was wrong. Woohyun was directly above me, a wicked smirk on his lips. A yelp escaped my throat as I was squished under his surprisingly heavy body, the air in my lungs being forced out from the sudden pressure that was exerted. We lay back to back, Woohyun was whistling happily as I struggled to push him off.

 

“Woohyun. I’m choking!” I wheezed. He ignored my protests and pressed down even harder.

 

“Woohyun. I’m going to kill you!”

 

“I’m immortal. I don't die,” he sang happily. “Besides, this is punishment for mentioning another man’s name while I’m around. Sunggyu hyung? Pfft.”

 

“God save me. Okay, okay I’ll tell you. Please have mercy on me, oh great one,” I drawled, rolling my eyes. Woohyun deemed my surrender satisfactory, despite it being so obviously dripping with sarcasm. He lifted himself off me. I breathed in deeply, glad to be able to breathe again.

 

“Mi lady,” he flicked his hand grandly and held it out to me. I swatted it away and stormed downstairs with him chortling in my wake. “You’re so easy to manipulate, Hyeri.”

 

“Shut up. I hate you.”

 

“I love you too. I really do. Don’t you want to give me a kiss?”

 

I flung another pillow at him, feeling extremely pleased when it hit him smack on his pretty little face. I grabbed my keys and coat, stuffing my feet into my boots carelessly. Woohyun hovered over me, a curious expression on his face.

 

“I need to leave the house before I start breaking everything in my house because of you,” he grinned boyishly, startling me when he grabbed my hand and linked his fingers with my own. His skin was cool against mine but it wasn’t uncomfortable. I admit, it felt nice.

 

“See, I wasn’t wrong was I?” I looked at him confusedly before realization dawned on me. I rolled my eyes in exasperation again as we left the house, hands securely entwined.

 

 

“Alright! It’s time for bed you intolerable kids. Hyeri still needs to go to the Mortal World tomorrow,” Sunggyu hollered over the noise, bars of chocolate spilling from his arms, his excitement impossible to miss as he cradled his prized possessions close to him.

 

As usual, the others launched into complaints and fingers were pointed accusingly at their leader who was unaffected and merely yelled for them to clean up and go to bed. He then conveniently disappeared upstairs, leaving us to clean up the mess that he had a hand in. I patted Sungyeol and Sungjong on the backs, trying to coo them out of their angry pouts. We threw cards at each other, making an even bigger mess before Woohyun chased everybody out of the common room, complaining loudly about being the only one who had any shred of cleanliness in Paradise. Sungjong, Sungyeol, Hoya and Dongwoo rushed upstairs, delighted to be able to escape cleaning duties, which they deemed to be much too dreadful a job. Myungsoo nodded at me, wishing me goodnight before he too disappeared upstairs to join his brothers.

 

I hung around outside the common room, giggling every time Woohyun exploded in sporadic bursts of anger. He almost cursed when I stuck out a packet of marshmallows at him, making him jump in surprise.

 

“You almost gave me a heart attack,” he complained. But he accepted the marshmallows with a grin, tearing it open immediately and offering me some. “How did you manage to sneak this away from Myungie? He never lets anybody else have his precious marshmallows.”

 

“I asked him nicely. He’s rather generous when you’re not trying to steal them away from him,” I laughed and plopped a few cubes into my mouth, chewing happily.

 

“He loves you more than us. I am devastated,” Woohyun joked. We burst out into laughter, causing Sunggyu to yell down the hallway for us to shut up. I was about to open the door to my room when Woohyun called out my name.

 

“Han Hyeri,” I turned to face Woohyun who was looking me up and down with a smug smirk on his lips.

 

“Tomorrow, it’s a date.”

 

I scoffed at him, mildly amused by his insufferable cockiness nonetheless.

 

“Goodnight Woohyun.”

 

 

“Just so you know, Woohyun. This is not, I repeat, not a date.”

 

“Last time I checked, a date was an appointment between two people who are romantically attracted to each other. You are most definitely attracted to me. Don’t deny it,” Woohyun swung our entwined hands between us, smiling cheekily.

 

“And where did you get that absurd idea from?”

 

“Those marshmallows were delicious and obviously filled with your love.”

 

“You’re impossible and obviously insane.”

 

 

 

 

 

“You promised you were going to tell me!” Woohyun whined for the nth time since we left the bus, clinging onto my hand and shaking it profusely. I tried prying his hand off my arm but to no avail.

 

“I did say that. But I didn’t say I was going to tell you right now,” I retorted, still trying to shake him off. He pouted, which mind you, wasn’t cute at all. I ignored his protests and dragged him over to the jewelry stall, tossing him the ring with the white stone after I paid for it.

 

I had been right. I was wrong about Sungyeol and Sungjong, Hoya was an easy guess but I had been right about Woohyun. He was white. The white door back in Paradise was proof of that when I woke up today morning. It was strange. He was insufferably confident to the point it crossed over to arrogance every so often, he flirted with me every chance he got and he was greasy to the point I swear I could drown in his greasiness if he ever decides to unleash his full potential on me. And yet his colour was white, the most pure colour of them all. And I knew it was perfect for him, strangely.

 

“I was wondering why the rest of the guys had new rings I’ve never seen before,” Woohyun slipped the ring on and admired it, grinning widely.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

We spent the rest of the day wandering around, much like how Hoya and I did when it was his turn acting as my Guardian. We bickered, mostly about me refusing to tell him the truth, until Woohyun dragged me into a noraebang where he promptly forgot to nag at me the moment the microphone was in his fingers. He surprised me when he began singing. I was honestly expecting him to be tone deaf but he sang beautifully, his voice deep and smooth, like liquid gold. The ballad he sang seemed like it was written for him, he sang it with so much emotion and feeling that I had to stare at him to make sure the man before me was indeed Woohyun. I suddenly understood why his colour was white and couldn’t help myself but smile as he sang, the world around him forgotten.

 

I only got to see that side of him once since he chose not to sing any more ballads after that even though I whined for him to do so. Instead, he sang songs from girl groups, pulling me up and dragging me into his ridiculous dances. We went crazy, jumping up and down as we screamed into the mikes, losing our heads in that moment of insanity. We stumbled out of the noraebang to a dying sun, laughing our heads off from the excess of endorphins in our systems. I clung onto him, very much like a drunkard would, as we stumbled along, nearly tripping several times. He sobered up first and he held me up, a smirk on his lips.

 

“Don’t think I don’t know all about your little plan,” he wagged his index finger at me disapprovingly.

 

“What plan?” I giggled.

 

“You, trying to get me to forget all about your feelings for him.”

 

“Did it work?”

 

He paused for a second, pondering thoughtfully.

 

“I suppose it did.”

 

 

 

 

 

I spotted Byunghun standing on the street that led to Mija’s school awkwardly, his hands stuffed into his pockets. He was muttering under his breath quickly. I yelled, catching his attention. He turned towards our direction, eyes hardening immediately after spotting Woohyun trailing behind me, trying hard to stop the ice cream I bought for him from dripping all over his shirt.

 

“Hey,” he greeted coldly before proceeding to ignore the both of us for the rest of the time we stood there. Thankfully, the school bell rang and Mija came rushing over to dispel the tense air that suffocated us. She latched onto her father’s leg, grinning up at him happily.

 

“Hey angel,” he smiled back and lifted her off the ground, cradling her in his arms. The four of us traveled back to my house where Woohyun cooked up a storm, impressing us (even Byunghun, though very grudgingly) with his delicious cooking.

 

MIja ignored me completely, as she always did whenever her father was around, eyes only for her handsome father. I noticed Byunghun playing a game that I knew would tire her quickly. I glanced at the clock and was surprised when I noticed the late time. Soon, Mija was fast asleep in her father’s arms. I followed Byunghun as he carried her up and laid her to bed. He waited at the door as I tucked her in and kissed her forehead. He mirrored my actions before closing the door to her room quietly. We went downstairs and he began to pick up his things swiftly, getting ready to leave. It was now or never. I grabbed his arm, catching his attention.

 

“Byunghun.” He turned towards me. “Let’s take a walk.”

 

He stared at me for what felt like eternity. I looked him in the eye, refusing to break eye contact with him. He nodded and exited the house.

 

“Hyeri—” Woohyun began but I placed a hand on his arm, silencing him.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back. Take care of the house and wait for me okay?” I smiled and left him at the doorway.

 

Byunghun was waiting for me on the street that led to my house. We strolled along the street serenely. The night was quiet, the streetlamps the only light illuminating the dark surroundings. He coughed suddenly, attracting my attention. I looked at him curiously. He shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head towards his arm that was extended out. I laughed and linked my arm with his. He tucked my arm firmly in his and coughed again.

 

We escaped the chilly night by entering a small café that was relatively empty. Settling ourselves in a secluded corner in the café, the waiter came over to take our order.

 

“Two coffees, black with no sugar,” I said instinctively without thinking. It was only after the waiter had taken down our orders and left did I realized what I just did.

 

“You still remember,” he said quietly.

 

“Things like this, you don’t forget easily,” I confessed.

 

The waiter soon came back with our drinks. He placed them carefully on the table and left, bidding us a good night. The silence that blanketed us was comfortable. I felt at ease with myself as we sat there in the quiet café, the time passing slowly.

 

“Hun ah,” I breathed quietly.

 

He chuckled under his breath, watching his coffee swirl lazily around in his cup. Black, with no sugar. Even though we had been divorced for almost two years, I still remembered what he liked and his preference had stuck on me as well. It came effortlessly to me. I stared at my own coffee, the dark liquid was stagnant in the cup, perhaps reflecting my inner self. I was calm, the calmest I’ve been in awhile.

 

This man who sat before me so casually and so seemingly disinterested. I once loved this man, loved him so much that I kept the baby we had together even though we were barely adults that hadn’t even brushed the surface of reality when I became pregnant. He had promised me the world, promised me a luxurious life. I didn’t care for those and I never will. All I wanted from him was to give me happiness. All I wanted from him was his love.

 

The divorce wasn’t much of a surprise when it was finally brought up on that lonely night. I still remember it as clear as it was yesterday. We were indulging ourselves with beer. Mija had been put to sleep upstairs. My head was on his chest. His heartbeat had been steady when he uttered those faithful words. The look we shared after his words was one of understanding. I understood. And I agreed.

 

I would like to believe that the two of us separated while we were still very much in love with each other. We were in love, but our love alone wasn’t enough. I understood that.

 

This man who sat before me, he may look uncaring but he is the exact opposite of it. The problem was he loved too much. He loved to the point where he gave up on himself. He is a man of too much compassion and too much feeling.

 

“Hun ah,” I repeated, smiling gently at him.

 

“I love you.”

 

He returned my smile, looking me straight in the eye. I saw the sadness in his eyes as he flashed me that disarming smile that broke me so easily.

 

“I love you.”

 

 

 

 

“Hyeri?”

 

Woohyun bolted up from the couch as I stepped across the threshold, patting my coat clean from the light rain that had begun falling as I was making my way back home. I smiled at him as he rushed over to my side, his worry showing clearly on his face. It was rather endearing to see him so flustered.

 

“Where’s—What—How are you?” He stuttered over his words before finally settling with those three simple words, his eyes filled with concern.

 

“I’m fine. I asked him for a favor, to come over more often to visit Mija so she won’t get too lonely. He agreed, naturally. He’s still her father after all.”

 

“I’m actually feeling so much better, so much more relieved. This way Mija will still have a father around when I’m gone—” Woohyun pulled me into his embrace, cutting my sentence off as he held me close. My hands were on his chest, I hadn't realized that they’ve been trembling violently.

 

“Calm down. Breathe.”

 

We stayed that way for awhile, with me trying to regulate my breathing that had unknowingly sped up. It was so surreal, there was only a day left. A day before I get sent to Paradise for real, permanently. No more traveling between the Mortal World and Paradise. Where did those seven days go? I was sure I still had a lot of time left but they just flew by, the days disappearing so swiftly that my brain had failed to register them becoming something of the past. Time had slipped from my fingers so effortlessly and I was powerless to do anything.

 

“I’m okay. I’m fine.” I pushed Woohyun away gently, looking up at him with a smile. “I’m fine.”

 

It was obvious that he didn’t believe me. Not for one second. I didn’t mind. I stepped away from him and sank myself down onto the couch, feeling like I’ve aged a lifetime. Woohyun joined me shortly, eyeing me tentatively, a frown disrupting his features.

 

“You asked me if I still loved him,” I breathed softly. He nodded in response.

 

“Let me ask you Woohyun, what would you do if they disappeared? What would you do if the people you call your blood brothers vanished?” He was confused by my sudden question. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

“I would die if any of them left. But I don't understand, what does this—”

 

I held up one hand, silencing him.

 

“I don’t. Not anymore.”

 

He paused for a long time. Tic toc, tic toc. The clock ticked on endlessly as we sat there in silence. It was nearly midnight and the deadline for the promise I forced onto myself inching closer than ever.

 

“And when did anymore begin?”

 

I chuckled, knowing that he would pick up the trail I so blatantly left behind. In a sick twisted way, I wanted him to ask me that particular question, I wanted to answer him, so I could put everything behind and finally let go. So I could breathe again, so he could love again. I glanced at the clock that hung on the wall before us, its arms ticking so innocently as it snatched those final seconds away. The chime of the clock echoed loudly as both the hands hit twelve, signaling a new day.

 

 

“Byunghun,” I grabbed his hand as we stood in the doorway. He turned around. I was stunned for a moment when I made eye contact with him, he wasn’t hiding his feelings anymore. His eyes that were usually so well protected were laid bare before me.

 

“Yes?” He cocked his head to one side, dark eyes boring into mine. I shook my head, diverting my eyes hastily. I checked my watch, it was 15 minutes to midnight.

 

“Will you make a promise with me?” He seemed amused as his lips tugged up to one side into that disarming smile of his. He agreed to my request without any questions which I was grateful for. We kissed our pinky fingers and linked them together. After he recited the line, he looked at me expectantly, waiting for me. I took in a deep breath before beginning.

 

“Tonight, when the clock strikes midnight, when a new day breaks, Lee Byunghun and Han Hyeri will no longer love each other.” Byunghun was startled and tried pulling his finger away but I held on tightly. “This chapter of our story, where our fates are intertwined is over. It was sweet but it’s time to tie up the loose ends and begin anew. At the strike of midnight, the new chapter begins.”

 

I released our fingers, smiling sadly as he looked at me bewilderedly. “Hyeri, why are you doing this?” He breathed in a low voice, eyes squeezed shut.

 

“An unbreakable promise, Byunghun. I expect you to keep your word. Goodnight.”

 

 

At the strike of midnight, my love for you, the greatest love I’ve ever experienced will die with the day.

 

I sighed heavily, letting my head fall onto Woohyun’s shoulder.

 

“Now.”