04.

Paradise

Fourth Paradise : Sunggyu

 

I woke up feeling like someone had just crashed a heavy-duty truck right into me. It wasn’t very far off from the truth since some stupid driver did ram his truck straight into me, killing me on the spot and sending me straight to Paradise. I should have demanded that God let me know why I had deserved to die in such a manner when I met him yesterday, without a single warning or precaution.

 

 

At least most of the headache was gone. Sitting up, I looked around, taking in the surroundings. For once since I arrived here, I wasn’t in a room that was completely white. The bed sheets were white but that was it, the rest of the furniture along with the two doors was the colour of rosewood, the walls painted a creamy yellow. The room was under furnished, the walls bare of any ornaments or decorations, the furniture littering the room scarce and minimal.

 

There were no windows.

 

After making sure I wouldn’t fall flat on my face in my attempt, I stood up shakily. The plush carpet that lined the floor caressed my feet as I made my way over to the door directly opposite the bed. The feeling had returned to my numb limbs but I was still unsteady on my feet, tripping over myself a few times in the short distance I had to traverse to reach the door.

 

I gripped the doorknob fiercely, waiting for my head to stop spinning. Before I could even turn the doorknob, the door was pushed open forcefully, knocking me off my feet and onto my .

 

“Hyeri noona? What are you doing on the floor?” Sungjong grinned at me while I glared back at him.

 

“Oh nothing, I was just enjoying the carpet, it’s so fluffy and wonderful I could die,” I said, rolling my eyes at the lame joke I just made about death.

 

Sungjong seemed to have found my lame joke funny though since he chuckled lightly. I took his hand that he offered and he hoisted me up effortlessly, surprising me with his strength that belied his frail appearance. He escorted me back to the bed and pushed me down, earning another glare from me. He ignored it and left the room, coming back moments later with a stack of clothes in his arms. He dropped the bundle of clothes next to me and sat down on the bed.

 

I examined the clothes and gasped. They were my own! Back when I was still alive! I eyed Sungjong suspiciously as I cradled the clothes close to me.

 

“I don’t know anything, Chaeeun noona said it was from the Boss.” He lifted himself off the bed. “Time for you to get ready, you’ve been asleep for long enough.”

 

“Asleep? How long was I out for?”

 

“Seven days.”

 

 

“Don’t worry, Sunggyu hyung has calmed down.”

 

Sungyeol’s words weren’t very convincing, not in my ears anyways. The image of Sunggyu’s angry little eyes had stuck in my memory despite me being in a state close to a drunkard when it had happened. It wasn’t very pleasant, and it was maybe just a tiny bit scary.

 

Okay yes. I was terrified of a man who looked like a honey-furred hamster.

 

“Are you sure he’s not angry? Are you certain he’s not going to attack me the moment he sees me?” I stuttered, scared out of my wits.

 

 

Sungyeol walked in on me just as I was pulling on a woolen sweater. A few pillows were thrown before Sungjong came in and stopped me from bludgeoning the tall boy to death. His cheeks were still tinged a light crimson when we sat around on the floor of my ‘temporary’ room.

 

“I’m sorry Sungyeol, it’s my fault. I’m just not used to having guys around,” I admitted sheepishly.

 

“What about your husband? Didn’t you say you were married?” Sungjong asked.

 

“That’s it. I was married. Literally. I got a divorce after Mija turned three. Mija’s my daughter by the way.” I explained.

 

“What’s this talk about marriage?” The three of us looked towards the entrance to see Hoya poking his head in, a bag of chips in his hands as he munched on them happily.

 

Sungyeol and Sungjong both lunged at him simultaneously, taking him down in a matter of seconds, the snack held high above their heads in triumph. I watched them wrestle for a bit before deciding that this was way too ridiculous. I snatched the chips from Sungyeol’s hands and threw it down the hallway, away from my room. The three boys rushed after the snack, their original purpose forgotten.

 

“Nice one,” my heart nearly jumped out of my chest when I felt someone breathing down my neck. Whipping around, a fist raised and ready to strike, I stopped myself just in time from smashing my fist straight into Woohyun’s face.

 

He smirked at me, obviously amused. I scowled at him in return.

 

“Looks like our Sleeping Beauty finally decided to awaken from her slumber. Did someone bestow upon you a kiss that broke the curse?”

 

I looked at him like he was insane.

 

 

“Sunggyu hyung isn’t going to kill you, if he tries, I’ll stop him.”

 

Again, Woohyun’s words weren’t that convincing in my ears. But having four of the boys on my side did make me feel a lot better. I marched robotically into the common room, ready to face whatever doom it was that awaited me.

 

 I spotted Myungsoo sipping on some coffee in the kitchen that was directly connected to the common room. The scent of freshly brewed coffee wafted in the air seductively, reminding me that I had missed seven days worth of meals. Dongwoo was next to him, munching on an apple contently. Now where was Sunggyu—

 

“Han Hyeri.”

 

I turned slowly to see one Sunggyu stepping out from nowhere. He literally appeared from the shadows or something. Well, at least he didn’t look mad. Looks like I’m going to survive this day after all.

 

“You have some explaining to do.”

 

Or maybe not.

 

By now, all attention was on me. As intimidating as it was having their gazes directed at me, there really wasn’t anything I could do about it.

 

“See, your Boss offered me a proposition.”

 

 

“So you’re saying the Boss extended your stay here so you can take care of some business?” Sunggyu pressed. I had to urge to roll my eyes at his question. This was already the sixth time that he asked me the same question.

 

“Yes. Mija, my daughter is only five. He pitied me and allowed me to return and make sure I set things right before I move on to…wherever it is I’m going,” Is that so hard to believe? I wanted to add but refrained from doing so to avoid infuriating the young man before me even further.

 

“He also said that for the seven days that you’ll be getting your business done, one of us will be escorting you? And you’ll be staying here until you’re done?” He asked again.

 

I nodded. We were sitting around the coffee table in the middle of the common room. I sat alone of one of the couches while the rest of them sat around their leader. It reminded me of the first time I met them, in that white room. The feeling of being judged was back as well.

 

“Their stories match,” Woohyun voiced out.

 

I directed my attention to Woohyun. He was about to say something when Sunggyu not so subtly jabbed him in the ribs with his elbow. Woohyun gasped as he clutched the spot Sunggyu had elbowed. The other guys fought to keep their faces straight.

 

“Nothing,” Sunggyu cut in, sending an unmistakably evil look towards Woohyun’s direction. He stood up and walked over to me, letting out a huge sigh as he neared me.

 

“Come along Han Hyeri,” he began walking away, back towards the way I came from. I jumped up and hurried after him. “Since you’re going to be living here for the next seven days, it’s best I let you know the basic rules around this place,” he continued without breaking stride. I had to jog a little to keep up with his speed.

 

“I’m sure you’ve already seen the kitchen,” he waved one hand carelessly in the direction it was in, “there’s a bathroom both upstairs and downstairs, feel free to use the one upstairs, the rest of us share the other one,” we climbed up the stairs, “I room with Woohyun, our room’s the one down the hallway. Dongwoo and Myungsoo room together in the one next to ours. Sungyeol, Hoya and Sungjong share the biggest room that’s opposite from yours.”

 

We stopped in front of a grey door that was located at the other end of the hallway, directly opposite Sunggyu and Woohyun’s room. Sunggyu placed one hand on the doorknob and stared me straight in the eye. The way his dark eyes bored into mine was unnerving.

 

“Never ever open the door to this room.”

 

He didn’t look like he was about to add an explanation to that statement so I just nodded. His dark expression cleared immediately, his eyes curling into prefect crescents as he smiled widely at me.

 

“Well that’s it. Make yourself at home.”

 

I stared at him, unsure how to react to his sudden 180-degree change in personality. I settled with another nod and followed him back downstairs where the rest of the boys were.

 

“Alright! Hyeri and I will be going now. Do not do anything stupid while I’m gone.” The warning was less than subtle and the poison in his voice was anything but.

 

He lead me over to a corner in the common room, I briefly wondered what he intended to do when the corner began glowing and a small black hole appeared. It floated awkwardly in the air, it’s appearance throwing everything off balance with the way it flickered and flashed every few seconds. I could feel the static crackling in the air surrounding the thing.

 

“It’s a portal to the Mortal World. It appeared the next morning after you were brought here. The Boss must have installed it for you,” Sunggyu answered my unasked question.

 

“Are you ready?” I my dry lips as I stared at the portal, feeling very unconfident with just about everything. I suddenly remembered that I still hadn’t had anything to fill my starved stomach yet.

 

“Yes.”

 

We jumped into the portal.

 

The trip in the portal was anything but smooth. I was nauseous and very grateful that I hadn’t had anything to eat yet. Whatever I had eaten would probably find itself being regurgitated out with the way I was tossed and thrown around in the portal. Sunggyu had gone missing the moment we jumped into the portal and I could only wonder if he was okay.

 

The trip felt like it lasted much longer than it really did before I was roughly deposited onto something prickly face first. The smell of grass assaulted my nose. I pushed myself up to find myself lying in the middle of my backyard. Looking around, there was nobody out in the streets yet and I realized it must still be early in the morning, the grass I had landed on was still damp with morning dew. Everything felt so unreal. After dying and being unconscious for those seven days in Paradise, I had come back.

 

I was back.

 

Picking myself up hurriedly, I rushed into the house and made a beeline straight for the pink door on the second floor. Ripping the door open, I saw her.

 

“Umma?” Mija looked at me curiously, cocking her head to one side.

 

I tackled the small girl with a hug, holding her close to me and eliminating any space between us. I could hold her. I was still able to touch her. I was still…real.

 

“Welcome back umma,” Mija squeaked out. I loosened my grip on her and she took in a deep breath. She looked at me disapprovingly. “I couldn’t breathe umma!” She knocked my arm with her tiny fist.

 

“Sorry Mija. Umma missed you,” I cooed, still not willing to let her go. She has no idea how much I missed her.

 

“I missed you too umma,” she said but with much less enthusiasm, “but Grandma told me that you couldn’t come home yesterday,” she added as she struggled to release herself from my embrace.

 

“Grandma…? What’s the date today?” I glanced at the frilly pink clock I had bought for Mija’s birthday that sat on her dresser. It was almost eight in the morning, and the date—

 

“September 19th,” I breathed disbelievingly.

 

It was a whole week before the accident. I had gone back in time. It would explain why Mija wasn’t surprised when she saw me. She didn’t know I died. Nobody knew I died. The accident hadn’t occurred. I wasn’t dead yet.

 

 

Remember Han Hyeri. Seven days to change it all. Seven days to alter the course of time and ultimately your fate. The choice is within your grasp, the decision yours to make. Good luck.

 

 

 

“Come on Mija, time for school,” I held onto the small girl’s tiny hands and led her out into the cool morning air.

 

Sunggyu was nowhere to be found, he had disappeared completely. Where to? I could only hope it was somewhere nearby and not some other country. But first things first, I had to bring Mija to school. I’ll start looking for Sunggyu after that. We swung our hands between us, Mija singing a child’s nursery rhyme loudly in a way that was quite obnoxious. When the school came into sight, I bent down and hugged her tight. She squirmed, batting my arms away while giggling.

 

“You’re funny umma!” She yelled as she skipped towards the preschool, waving frantically at me before disappearing from my sight.

 

I lifted one hand and stared at it, curling my fingers lightly.

 

Seven days.

 

Shaking my head, I set off towards the city in search of my missing Guardian.

 

 

“Sunggyu ahhhhh~” I sang despite knowing there was no way he would be able to hear me. “How can one person be so difficult to find? He is still in Korea right…?” I muttered darkly.

 

I’ve been searching for hours now and yet Sunggyu was nowhere to be found. The sun was beginning to set and I was getting worried for my missing Guardian. He’s a grown man, in fact he’s lived much longer than me in retrospect, he should be able to take care of himself. But what happens if he goes missing forever? How do I explain to the other boys that I lost their beloved leader?

 

I was coming up with excuse after excuse when a loud yell rang across the square I was resting at, catching the attention of everybody in the vicinity. Jumping up immediately, I ran towards the direction of the yell along with the rest of the crowd. The yells got progressively louder as I neared the commotion, there was already a small crowd circling the two angry voices.

 

“Where am I? Is this the Mortal World? Answer me!”

 

Ohmygod. I quickly pushed myself to the front of the crowd, fighting against the mass of bodies that separated me and the two men of interest.

 

“SUNGGYU!” I screeched when my eyes landed on the honey-headed man. I was so relieved and happy, I finally found him! And he looked fine! What I wasn’t so happy to see was Sunggyu holding up another man by the collar, glaring at him with his tiny eyes.

 

His head snapped up at the sound of his name. He turned towards me, dropping the guy he was holding up who fell crumpled to the floor. The way his eyes shone with innocence the moment we made eye contact almost fooled me into believing that I had mistaken him for someone else. That innocent glint in his eyes was replaced immediately with fiery anger as he stomped his way towards me with his hands raised.

 

“HAN HYERI! You have some explaining to do! I was about to call the Boss to send the rest of the guys here to drag you back to Para—“ I cut off the rest of his sentence by tackling him, knocking the wind out of his lungs. He gasped and coughed violently. I took the opportunity to pull him away from the curious onlookers, muttering apologies and bowing quickly.

 

“Why are you trying to beat people up? Where have you been? I’ve been looking for you for hours,” I complained to him after feeling satisfied that we had gone far enough.

 

“Same goes to you Han Hyeri,” he took in deep breaths and eyed me disapprovingly.

 

“Well whatever. Let’s go. I have to pick Mija up from school,” I stalked off as he trailed behind me, hands stuck in his pocket.

 

“So, where have you been?” I slowed down, matching his pace with mine so we were now walking side by side. He shrugged nonchalantly at my question. I rolled my eyes at his immaturity. Wasn’t he supposed to be thousands, maybe millions of years old? Why did he still have a mentality of a five year old?

 

“Okay Sunggyu. I’m sorry for yelling at you, where have you been for the past few hours?” I talked to him like I would with Mija when she was throwing a tantrum, my words exaggerated and slowed down.

 

“Don’t talk to me like I’m a child,” he retorted but I swear I saw a hint of a smile on his lips. “And to answer your question, I’ve only been awake for the past hour or so. I think I got knocked out when we travelling through the portal. I don’t remember anything else other than us jumping into it.”

 

We were now standing on the street that I dropped off Mija earlier in the morning. There were other parents hanging around, chatting among themselves as they waited for school hours to end. The bell rang shrilly, signaling the end of school.

 

“Thank god you weren’t transported outside of Korea, how would I be able to explain to the boys that their leader’s gone missing?” I grinned at him.

 

He rolled his eyes and snorted. “I can easily travel back to Paradise whenever I wanted to, you’re the one who’ll be in bigger trouble if I didn’t show up.” He smirked smugly.

 

“Ya—” something, or more specifically someone tackled my leg, latching onto it tightly. I looked down to see Mija clutching my leg, a wide smile plastered on her face.

 

“Umma!”

 

“Mija ah~” I sang, my eyes only for the small girl, Sunggyu momentarily forgotten. “How was school?” I took her hand and we set off in search for dinner. Sunggyu followed closely behind.

 

“We learned how to make pretty hairbands today. I made one for you!” She fished out a wreath made from dried leaves from her backpack and held it out to me. I squealed in delight and took it from her, thanking her with a kiss.

 

“Mija ah, is umma pretty?” I as I adjusted the wreath that was a little too big on my head. She flashed me two thumbs up, grinning even wider than before. She looked to the back and finally noticed Sunggyu who was lagging behind us by a few steps.

 

“Umma, who is he?” She pointed at him with shiny eyes. “He has pretty eyes,” she whispered.

 

“That’s Sunggyu oppa,” I motioned him to come closer which he did so stiffly.

 

“Sunggyu oppa?” Mija stretched her arms out towards Sunggyu, waiting patiently. Sunggyu on the other hand looked at her with a baffled expression then at me.

 

“She wants you to carry her,” I laughed while lifting Mija up and depositing her in Sunggyu’s arms. He mouthed a little ‘oh’, his hands moving naturally as he wrapped his arms around her body to support her. Mija wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder, a sure sign that she was going to fall asleep in a few minutes.

 

The way Sunggyu’s expression softened immediately the moment Mija was in his arms surprised me. It made him seem so much more human and not a sentient being tasked with the duty of guarding the gates to Paradise. Instead of looking like an old man who had the whole world on his shoulders, he looked his age for once. He began to her back gently, making clucking noises until she fell asleep.

 

He noticed me staring at him and flushed visibly, “It’s not like I hate kids or anything,” he mumbled embarrassedly.

 

“You’re good,” I complimented him as we continued on our way back to the house. He smiled widely at my comment.

 

Mija woke up the instant she smelled the scent of food wafting in the air. She wriggled out of Sunggyu arms and dashed into the restaurant, yelling loudly and demanding for food. We had a quick and simple dinner before going home. Mija who had gobbled down her food greedily at the restaurant fell asleep instantly as her head hit Sunggyu’s shoulder. She had insisted that he carry her again, even rejecting me outright when I offered to carry her by saying that Sunggyu’s arms were much more comfortable than mine. Sunggyu smirked smugly the entire journey back home.

 

I relieved Sunggyu of Mija when we reached the house. I laid her gently on her bed, tucking her in and making sure she was warm. I kissed her forehead before straightening up. Sunggyu was leaning against the doorframe, a thoughtful look on his face.

 

“You remind me of someone,” he began suddenly.

 

“Who?” Leading him out of Mija’s room, we settled in the living room. He pondered over his thoughts while I fixed up some tea for us.

 

“Myself,” He finally said after I served him the hot lemon tea, breaking out of his pensive thoughts.

 

“Huh?” I looked at him amusedly, surprised by his sudden confession.

 

“The way you take care of your daughter, Mija. It’s not that different from the way I take care of the kids,” he shrugged as he sipped on the drink, seemingly immune to its steaming hot temperature as he gulped it all down in one go.

 

“Aww, Sunggyu the loving daddy,” I .

 

“It’s a chore taking care of them,” he frowned but it was quickly replaced by a smile.

 

“But I love them. They’re my brothers.”

 

It was the first time I’ve seen a smile like that from him, it was sincere and honest. Sunggyu appeared embarrassed of the words that had just left his lips since he quickly looked away, finding my empty walls much more interesting than I was. I chuckled under my breath.

 

Despite living for so long, Sunggyu was still a boy. He was just as human as everyone else in the world even though he was nothing close to human. He sees what they see. He understands what they understand. He feels what they feel.

 

Sunggyu glanced at his watch, his frown returning as he peered at me. I understood. Standing up, I walked over to him and nodded. His brown eyes held a message that I couldn’t comprehend at that moment of time. He let out a long sigh and took my hand. We made our way upstairs, past the pink bedroom door. Looking at the door, I knew I had to see her one last time again before the night ended. Letting go of Sunggyu’s hand, I pushed the door open silently. Moonlight was streaming through the blinds onto Mija’s bed, casting shadows over her small face. She looked so serene and peaceful as she slumbered. I smiled, albeit a little melancholically.

 

“Goodnight Mija, I love you.”

 

I let the door close quietly before joining Sunggyu who had went ahead. He was waiting in my room, the little portal that we had entered this morning crackling in the middle of my room. We linked hands this time before jumping into the portal. The trip was much smoother this time around. Sunggyu and I landed in the common room of Paradise. The place was quiet, the lights extinguished but an unnatural light that had no apparent source illuminated the room, allowing us to see in the dark room.

 

We climbed up the staircase in silence, too engrossed in our own thoughts to pay much attention to the other. One lone candle burned at the landing on the second floor, the wax rolling down the candle in thick droplets pooled at the base of the small disc that supported it. I bid Sunggyu goodnight as I entered my own room. He did the same and stumbled his way towards his shared room with Woohyun.

 

After plopping down on my bed, I couldn’t help but notice there was something a little strange about my room. Something was different. I stared at the door and finally noticed it. The door had been the colour of rosewood when I left this morning. It was now a blood red colour. Deciding not to linger too much on it, I changed out of my clothes, throwing them aside and let myself fall onto the soft bed and into the a dreamless sleep.