02.

Paradise

Second Paradise : Nothing Is What It Seems

 

 

“The Boss is not going to be happy about this,” I heard Sunggyu grumble.

 

Ignoring the honey-headed man, I played with my fingers while I waited for the seven of them to come up with a decision. There was no way I was going to take no for an answer, this much I had made clear to them.

 

Sungyeol bounded over to me with Sungjong trailing him from behind. They settled onto the couch I was on, one on either side of me. I peered at them curiously, wondering what were they up to.

 

“You sure are something else Han Hyeri,” Sungyeol began, flashing me his gummy smile.

 

“Thanks?” I answered unsurely.

 

“Sunggyu hyung has no idea what to do, we’ve never gotten a client that demanded to meet the Boss,” Sungjong added. It was supposed to be a serious statement but I heard the undeniable twinge of excitement in his voice.

 

I had the sudden urge to apologize for bothering them but I quashed the desire immediately. They might take it as a sign of weakness and force me into Heaven or Hell or wherever it was people died went to.

 

“What’s taking them so long?” I glanced over the couch at the small huddle of men.

 

Sunggyu looked like he was trying to make a point, exaggerated hand movements included. The one named Hoya was nodding. King of Safety Pins, Woohyun was it? was looking intently at someone who’s back was exposed with a few strips of fabric strung about in two X-shapes and a single strip running down the length of his back. Who is that?

 

Wait, is that Myungsoo?

 

Oh.

 

“They’re holding a vote to see what to do with you,” Sungjong explained while I whipped around instantly, cheeks burning up at the sight of so much skin.

 

“A vote? And what happens if I lose?”

 

“We’ll knock you out and ship you off to Heaven,” Sungyeol said almost too casually.

 

Gulping, I asked them what they voted for. They beamed and patted me on the back, flashing a thumbs up at me. I wanted to tackle them with hugs. We bantered on a little more and I felt close to them already, like I’ve known them for years. They felt a lot like the younger siblings I never had.

 

“So…who voted against me?” I asked curiously.

 

“Sunggyu hyung,” they said unanimously, “But don’t worry about it, he doesn’t dislike you or anything, he’s just lazy.”

 

“I heard that!” Sunggyu’s voice came echoing from across the room.

 

“Woohyun hyung is Sunggyu hyung’s second in command even though he’s one of the youngest so he has to support him by default, Hoya hyung isn’t a rebel like us,” at this I let out a snort, “So he follows Sunggyu hyung more often than not.” Sungyeol added in with a grin.

 

“Dongwoo hyung voted for you too, which leaves—“

 

Sungjong’s sentence was cut off when the three of us noticed Sunggyu strolling over with a scowl set on his face. He looked like an extremely displeased hamster and I had to hold in my laughter.

 

“Han Hyeri, we have made our decision,” he announced loudly. “Follow us.”

 

Sunggyu, Woohyun and Hoya began walking away immediately, leaving me feeling more than a little confused. They’ve made their decision? What was the verdict? Sungjong and Sungyeol seemed to have gotten the answer though since they jumped up instantly, dragging me up and along while congratulating me. The one with the feral look, Dongwoo joined our little group and smiled widely at me as well. Suddenly, he didn’t look like a feral animal anymore, more like an overly excited puppy.

 

All I managed to say was a huh and they laughed at me rather graciously.

 

“You won! We’re off to see the Boss,” Sungjong exclaimed happily while dragging me along to catch up with the first group.

 

I won? Sunggyu, Woohyun and Hoya voted against me while Sungjong, Sungyeol and Dongwoo voted in my favor, which leaves…

 

I glanced at Myungsoo. He was trailing behind us, hands stuffed in his pockets, his dark eyes still as smoldering as ever. I separated myself from the three and jogged over to him. He looked at me blankly and didn’t even flinch when I grabbed his hands.

 

“Thank you,” I said quietly, smiling sincerely at him.

 

He nodded stoically and continued walking when I let go of his hands. I stared at my hands, they felt a little…funny. I pushed the silly thought away. We caught up to the Sungjong, Sungyeol, Dongwoo trio and eventually we were right behind the Sunggyu, Woohyun, Hoya trio. Myungsoo sped up and joined the former group while Woohyun lagged behind and joined in our conversation.

 

“So Hyeri, you have a boyfriend?”

 

I snorted, in the most ungraceful way possible. Sungyeol and Dongwoo howled with laughter while Sungjong just rolled his eyes.

 

“It doesn’t really matter now since I’m dead right?” The other boys, I learned that I was older than most of them here in ‘mortal’ years while on the other hand they most definitely outlived me in ‘immortal’ years, sniggered.

 

“Sorry. What I meant to say was did you have a boyfriend?” He corrected himself and it was my turn to roll my eyes.

 

“I was married.”

 

“Come again?” Woohyun did a double take, eyes widening when he heard me.

 

“I was married,” I repeated while smirking at his surprised expression.

 

His mouth formed an ‘o’ shape and I thought he had been shocked speechless when he continued on without missing beat. “So on a scale of one to ten, how good-looking am I?”

 

It was my turn to be shocked speechless, I looked at him like he was an alien, which was most probably the case.

 

“Woohyun was it?” He nodded eagerly.

 

“You’re the most arrogant person I’ve ever met in my life…or death. Forget that,” his face fell while the other guys roared with laughter.

 

“But I would say you’re a solid nine,” I added quickly, hoping he would miss my reply. My wish was spent in vain, his expression picked up immediately as he whooped in delight. The others face palmed themselves in horror.

 

“Shut up!” Sunggyu’s voice came echoing from the front, causing more laughter to erupt from our little group.

 

 

“Are we almost there?” I whispered to Sungjong, trying to ignore the aching in my legs. We had been walking for what seemed like forever, ever since Sunggyu had taken off. The white room had warped into a white space that stretched on endlessly as we walked, the couch had been left behind long ago.

 

“In fact, we’re here,” he said while looking to the front.

 

I followed his line of vision. We were standing before a blank piece of wall that I was sure hadn’t been there when I looked last. Sunggyu strode forwards confidently and placed his hand onto the wall. He traced an outline with his hand, his fingers skimming the wall lightly. A thin, black line appeared wherever his fingers touched and soon there was an outline of a rectangle on the wall. The rectangle glimmered briefly before a door materialized.

 

Sunggyu pushed the door opened and entered, the others following their leader in his wake. I was the last across the threshold and it took some effort on my part to keep my surprise to myself when I laid my eyes on the scene before me.

 

If this was Heaven, it really was a huge letdown.

 

See my image of Heaven has always been filled with white clouds, angels, cherubs and people in white robes possibly sauntering or ballroom dancing around. Don’t ask me how I came to that conclusion. I most definitely did not expect Heaven to look like an office, one that looked a lot like the old place I used to work at no less.

 

Cubicle after cubicle stretched on endlessly in the vast room, its walls were, not surprisingly, white as well. The occupants of each cubicle was hidden from my view but I had no time to investigate since Sungjong dragged me over to what looked like a reception counter.

 

A young woman who looked a little older than the rest of the boys sat behind the counter, a bored look on her face as she flipped through a random magazine. I frowned when I recognized the cover of the magazine, I was actually subscribed to that particular magazine back when I wasn’t dead yet.

 

“Ah Sunggyu, you have to work on your drawing skills, the door you made was horrible,” she grinned at Sunggyu when he leaned on the counter, earning a glare from him.

 

“Shut up Chaeeun, where’s the Boss?”

 

She jabbed her thumb behind her, “You’ll have to wait a bit though, Jiyong’s in there at the moment,” She looked worriedly to the back as she said this.

 

It was Sunggyu’s turn to smirk, “Did Lover Boy get into trouble again?” Chaeeun smacked him with her magazine.

 

“He tried to stop another death again, I hope he’s not too angry at him,” she sighed deeply, brows furrowed.

 

Both Sunggyu and her looked up at the same time suddenly. Chaeeun bounded out of her chair and down the aisle of cubicles, her orange hair flying wildly behind her. She was back in a matter of seconds, supporting a young man on her arm.

 

“Are you okay Jiyong?” She asked worriedly.

 

“I’m fine, just…need…some rest,” he struggled through clenched teeth.

 

Chaeeun waved at Sunggyu before leaving with Jiyong who looked like he was about to keel over.

 

Sunggyu turned to me, a somber expression on his face. I gulped, the image of Jiyong’s weakened form not exactly the most encouraging thing to witness at this moment in time. He motioned me to follow him which I complied willingly.

 

Sungjong, Sungyeol and Dongwoo called out encouragements to me as I was leaving, Woohyun yelled something that would have definitely earned a slap or something equivalent if my nerves weren’t feeling so tingly at the moment. Even Hoya, who had stayed silent the entire journey here smiled warmly at me. Myungsoo just stared.

 

The endless room wasn’t quite as endless as I thought it was since I was in front of another door in a matter of minutes. The silver door shone brightly despite there being no light.

 

I was about to open the door (and possibly face my imminent doom) when a firm hand landed on my shoulder. I turned around to look at Sunggyu who looked rather flustered himself.

 

“Good luck,” he mumbled quietly.

 

It was a small gesture but it made me feel a thousand times better. Even though he had been so reluctant to bring me here, he did it anyways, complaining all the way, but still he did it. I hugged him as thanks, his face was tinged a bright pink when we separated which made him look adorable.

 

He marched off robotically, leaving me alone in front of the silver door. Taking in a deep breath, I pushed the door open.

 

The room was just as bare as everything around here and I almost missed the man sitting behind the silver desk at the other end of the room. He was wearing a black robot-like suit and a helmet, concealing his facial features. The suit had bright lights snaking down his arms and the front of his torso. His helmet was decorated with the same lights, an infinite symbol blazed in the centre of it.

 

“Welcome Han Hyeri. My name is Woolim. But I am sure you are more well acquainted with another name I go by,” his voice was digitalized, static crackling off every syllable he spoke.

 

“Another name you go by…?” I began uncertainly.

 

“I am God.”

 

Oh.