The Second Choice

REMEMBER ME (The Disappearance of Sandara Park)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2012

 

Dara is home. I can hear the sound of her car entering the garage and then I would know she’s opening the front door and entered in. Pyro, our Jack Russell Terrier is creating this squeaking noise, expressing his happiness to see his master home. And I’m not surprised it is already in the morning, as I expected, Dara didn’t keep her promise. Coming home before midnight? That never happens.

I still can’t open my eyes, too sleepy to wake up and I have no intention to wake up at all. I’m tired of talking to her so I decide to pretend I’m still deep in my sleep. I prefer this rather than getting up, start talking and then it will lead to a fight over the same thing.

She took a quick shower before finally climbing to bed. She crawled next to me and I know she’s starring at my face. I can smell her soap and her breath. I know she just ate that cheese bread she likes. She must’ve stopped at the bakery near our house.

 

“I’m sorry.” She whispered next to my ear and then she leaned a kiss on my cheek. So I opened my eyes, simply because she is apologizing and I feel sorry too. We starred at each other for a moment and then she lean her head on my chest, climbing to the top of me. “I’m sorry too.” I said.

Then she slowly lifted her head up and kissed me on the lips. She cupped my cheeks and pushed herself closer to me and I know what’s gonna happen, a after a fight and it usually feels really great.

I flipped her and changed our position, now I’m on the top of her. I miss having with her. I think the last time we really had was… I don't know. I can’t even remember because it’s a long time ago I guess.

I miss smelling her scent, I miss nipping on her skin, I miss listening to her y moan. I miss this. I miss how great we were at and how I never got bored of her. She let me do anything to her. She just lifted up her arms and grabbed the pillow at the bottom of her head and closed her eyes while I’m getting down. I rolled up her shirt and started her s. And then I kiss down her belly button and started pulling off her underwear but then I realized she has stopped and making sound. I look up at her and find out, she already fell asleep. I can hear her snore a bit. She must’ve been so tired.

So I put her underwear back on again and covered her with the blanket. I kiss her forehead and stare at her for a while. “Sleep tight, Dara.” I say. And then I look at the clock, it’s time for me to jog and walk Pyro. So I get up and let my wife asleep, and yes, once again, we couldn’t have .

 

So just like that, my so predictable routine begins. I go to feet Pyro before taking him for a walk and I’d jog while he chased me from behind and then after that, I’d stop by the coffee shop to get myself a cup of coffee. Sometimes I’d sit there watching people and Pyro would wait for me outside the shop. And still, after everything we’ve went through together, Pyro’s favorite owner is Dara. I still can’t understand why.

I get home and find Dara still sleeping quietly in the bed. It’s already noon and I have to go to the course. I kiss her goodbye before leaving the house again. She did not wake up. I tried to call her a few times but all I can hear is her snore.

 

“Take care of her, Py!” I tell Pyro before leaving.

 

Then I drive my 2011 BMW wagon to the course. The car is a gift from my dad when I got married. I’m 29 years old and yes, my dad still buys me things sometimes. I told him so many times that I don't need it. Dara gives me enough money already. It’s more than enough actually. But dad said, if he didn’t give his fortune to his daughters, who else he’s gonna give it to? I mean mom is gone. And dad doesn’t seem to be interested in creating a new family again. I haven’t seen him going out on a date with any women since mom’s death. Sometimes I want to ask him why but his sad face always tells me not to ask. Maybe he is still wounded. Maybe he is traumatized to love someone again.

 

Today in the course, Tiffany acts different. She’s obviously avoiding me. She wouldn’t make eye contact with me even though several times I try to make her look back at me. I wonder why she is acting like that.

The course is over and everyone has left. Tiffany is still sitting on her chair texting someone. I’m standing by the door, contemplating whether I should come in and try to talk to her or just leave and give zero about it. But then our eyes met and I don't know what to do.

 

“Hi Chaerin.” She called me.

 

I smiled and decided to walk in. I sit at the chair across her and look at her carefully, “Are you okay?” I ask.

She shrugged, “Do I not look okay?” then she starts packing in her stuffs.

 

“I don’t know, yesterday you were-“

 

“Please forget about yesterday. I didn’t mean it.”

 

“You didn’t mean what?”
 

“When I said I didn’t love my husband. I didn’t mean it. I do love him.” She says hurriedly.

 

“But you still gotta explain to me why you said that. I thought I heard you saying about how you haven’t been yourself. That you don’t like the way you live your life right now.”

 

“Like I said, please forget about it.”

 

“Why? Why would you say something strange to a person and expect them to forget about it? Well I haven’t stopped thinking about what you said to me yesterday, I’m still trying to figure out what you mean and you can’t just tell me to forget about it. It’s rude.”

 

She put down her purse on the table and then she looked at me. “I’m sorry I had to say stuffs like that to you. I shouldn’t have done that. Now I’m asking you to do me a favor, please forget about it and I don’t want us to talk about it again, ever. Okay?”

And just like that, she goes away. I can’t understand why she’s doing this. Why would she say such a thing if she didn’t mean it? And I don’t believe her, I think something’s wrong with her.

 

I’m meeting my sister in the same coffee shop Tiffany and me met the other day. It’s been three weeks since the last time I talked to Tiffany. I haven’t tried to talk to her again after that conversation we had after the course. And hell I can’t stop thinking about her.

I also haven’t seen Bom for weeks and I’m so happy to see her today coz finally I have someone to talk to about my personal life. We have been very close to each other since we were little. I’d tell everything to her and I’d listen to her advises and I trust her with my secrets and she does too. We’re like the most compatible sisters in the entire world.

 

“Don’t worry about it, Chaerin. She’s just busy. Don’t you remember what happened with Dad? He was always busy too and guess what? He’s not the one who cheats.” She says after I tell her about my suspicion against Dara. She just laughed the minute I told her about it.

“I know. But still, It’s really strange. She wasn’t this busy a long time ago and now it’s like I barely see her. She’s barely living in the house. And I’m sick and tired of getting bored like this.”

Bom shook her head lightly, “She’s definitely not cheating on you, silly. If there’s one person who’ll cheat, I think it’d be you.”

 

I chuckle, “What? There’s no way I’d do such a thing. I don’t want to become like mom.”

 

“Well you take after mom so much. You know you act exactly like her.”

 

“But that doesn’t mean I would cheat on my wife for no reason. Mom cheated on dad and they’re divorced and they hate each other. I don’t want that to happen with my marriage or my life.”

 

“I was just saying, Chaerin. Gosh you sound like you already did cheating at some point. Stop being so nervous.”

“I’m not nervous. I’m just curious.” I say and then I take a bite of the onion ring we ordered.

 

I was looking out the window beside me and suddenly, I see Tiffany, walking by the street and coming into the coffee shop. By the time she entered in, Bom started tapping the table with her finger, “Chae, is that Tiffany? Your course teacher?”

I just nod my head lightly and not moving my eyes from Tiffany’s figure. She stopped by the counter and ordering something. She’s wearing that dark brown coat that always makes her thinner. I don’t think she notices me. That’s a good thing coz I don’t want her to see me. It’s going to be awkward if she does.

“I heard she is opening a new restaurant, a bigger one. And she made a few businesses with famous actors. I think she is getting more and more successful. But I don't think she is happy.”

I suddenly take interest in Bom’s words. I lean forward and look at her seriously when Tiffany left the shop. “What do you mean you don’t think she’s happy?”

Bom lean back and smirk, “I’m not supposed to tell you about this.”

 

I rolled my eyes, “Come on, you tell me anything.”

 

She took a sip of her caramel juice and look at me with narrowed eyes. “I don’t think their marriage is a success. You know they say that nobody is perfect. Tiffany might have a huge success in her career but not her marriage.”

 

“How do you know about all this? How am I sure you’re not just making this up to spread a gossip?” Yes I know my sister, she likes to gossip with her friends. Tiffany is the wife of her high school friend. So many girlfriends of hers know about Tiffany’s husband, whom I heard was a very popular basketball player back in high school. Girls loved him.

“I’m not making this up. I’ve seen it with my eyes. Her husband hangs out in the nightclub every Friday night. I saw him taking girls to his car and I don’t know what happen next but you know… isn’t it obvious what he’s doing?”

 

“You still hang out with her husband? What’s his name again?”

 

“Matthew. Yeah I still hang out with him, that’s how I know. We go to the same club.”

 

I smirk as some idea popped out in my head and find it quite making sense, “Did you also to go to his car and drive off to some cheap hotel too?”

She glares at me instantly. “Do you think of me that low? I wouldn’t shag someone’s husband. Are you crazy?” She threw me a piece of onion and it lands on my collar.

 

“Aren’t we supposed to talk about business today?” she suddenly changed the topic. Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter