Arrivals

Canadian Higher Learning

Kris and Minseok unpacked in their rooms, Kris taking note that all of Minseok’s clothes were neatly folded and he brought just the right amount of everything and his own blanket. Kris brought maybe one too many pairs of leather pants but at least his clothes were neatly folded, of course his mom did do it for him. But Minseok probably had a roommate or two that helped him. Speaking of roommates, Kris would like to meet them one day; he needed to see what type of faces Minseok was looking at all the time. If they were anything like Luhan, Kris was ed.

By the time, they were finished unpacking (which Kris grumpily reminded himself went by silently. Of course he didn’t do anything to lessen that silence.), another person had arrived.

“Chen!” Minseok said as soon they were down the stairs. Kris watched in silence as Jongdae, (Chen, God, Minseok had a nickname for him) embraced Minseok with wide open arms. Jongdae who was his friend, Jongdae whom Kris took around China when Jongdae was studying abroad with Tao’s family. Jongdae who Kris had done nothing but love and support and sent him snow globes of Canada in order to encourage him to get into schools in Canada. Was this the mark of betrayal?

“Xiumin!” Jongdae said. Kris wanted to set himself on fire. “It’s been a long time since someone called me that. It’s so great to see you in person again.”

“I know! Skype doesn’t do you justice man.” Minseo-no-Xiumin laughed. Kris didn’t know what was worse the fact that they were speaking to each other in Korean or the fact that they seemed to Skype each other frequently. At least Kris patted himself on the back for having such high Korean skills.

Jongdae finally broke free from Minseok and turned his attention to Kris pulling him into a bro-hug and speaking English. “It’s been too long since we saw each other in person.”

“We see each other in person at least once during the summer. For like two weeks.” Kris said. Maybe he was being too petty for someone that was such a close friend. But what was he supposed to do? Now he had to keep an eye out for Jongdae. 

“I know. But it’s still good to see. Now you can be my wingman in Toronto.” Jongdae playfully punched Kris in the shoulder.

Kris gave a fake laugh and played along. “You bet.” Even though there would be no clubs because it was Christmastime, which was meant to be spent with your family and not a bouncer. And Kris didn’t even know if he could be Jongdae’s wingman. Jongdae was straight, or at least that’s what he said to everybody. How straight could he be if he was spending so much time with Minseok? Kris was over-thinking this and he knew. This was getting into creepy possessive territory and Kris didn’t want to be creepy-possessive. He just wanted Minseok to like him.

“I’m sure Kris would make an excellent wing-man. He made an excellent friendship one when he told me that you were in Québec this whole time.”Minseok put his hand around Kris’s wrist and gave it a squeeze.

Was Kris breathing in this moment? Was this an out-of-body experience and he was looking down at his idiotic tall body? Was this a dream? The afterlife? 

“Is no one going to greet me?” A voice that Kris could recognize anywhere and was so thankful to have exist broke whatever was going on in his head.

“Tao, why would anyone greet you when you just barge right in?” Jongdae teased.

Tao huffed. He was dressed head to toe in designer and had Louis Vuitton luggage all over the floor. With the exception of his bag which of course was Gucci. And his sunglasses even though the winter sun was nowhere near strong enough for them and also the fact that he was now inside a building. “I could be in the beaches of Fiji with my boyfriend instead I’m here with you all.”

“Didn’t you upload ten pictures from the train station, airport, and airplane about how excited you were? On every single social media you have? Ten different pictures on each social media?” Kris asked. He would turn off notifications from Tao but Tao had a sixth sense when it came to social media. He wanted everyone to follow him and to make following him a priority in their online lives.

“That’s because my followers need me. My boyfriend also has me on social media and couples are supposed to keep up with each other.” Tao rolled his eyes. “Speaking of social media, where is that boy that kept avoiding everyone?”

Joonmyeon had entered ready to greet Tao with his award-winning smile. “Hello, it’s so glad to meet you. Kyungsoo will show you to your room.” Joonmyeon turned his head and called out for Kyungsoo.

“You’re the anti-social guy.” Tao said when Kyungsoo came into the living room. To be fair, Kyungsoo wasn’t doing much to help with a gloomy expression on his face.

“He’s not my roommate is he?” Kyungsoo asked Joonmyeon.

Joonmyeon was still brightly smiling in spite of what was happening. “Nope.”

“Fantastic.” And although it was monotone, Kris was able to detect the slightest bit of happiness at the words.

“Gege, come help with me this.” Tao said in Chinese.

Was he talking to Kris? Was Tao really expecting him to just go over and carry all of Tao’s luggage for him like it wasn’t a big deal? Kris thought about this as he walked over and began to carry as much as Tao’s luggage as he could up the stairs while Tao carried his bag and Kyungsoo carried nothing.

“Is no one going to help me?” A deep but somehow bumbling voice came from the door after everyone had watched Tao go up the stairs. The guy was tall, probably the same height as Kris, but he was seemingly unaccustomed to his body and looked ready to fall at any moment. This was Chanyeol, Kris realized. He had reached out to Kris after discovering their mutual tallness.

Kyungsoo came down the stairs and noted the luggage and Chanyeol widely smiling with a set of perfect teeth. “If you think I’m going to help you go back to where you came from.” And with that Kyungsoo went to another part of the house not sparing anyone a second glance.

Jongdae laughed. “I’ll take your stuff. Joonmyeon said you were in the room next to mine.”

Chanyeol smiled even wider at this, clearly pleased by his new friend. Chanyeol sprinted over once he caught sight of Kris. “Ayo Kris, what’s up?” Except with Chanyeol’s accent it ended up sounding more like “Ayo Krease, what’s up?” but Kris didn’t have the heart to correct him and even if he did, Chanyeol was hugging him way too tightly for Kris to even breathe probably.

It wasn’t a bad hug or anything, it was nice but Kris had this creeping feeling of wondering if Minseok thought that something was going on between him and Chanyeol. Not that Kris didn’t like the guy or that Chanyeol wasn’t attractive because Chanyeol was a nice guy and he was attractive. He wasn’t Kris’s type. Kris liked guys like Minseok, monolids and chubby faces.  

“Hi Chanyeol. It’s so good to meet you in person.” Kris patted Chanyeol’s back.

“Your stuff is all ready. Joonmyeon said you’re the last one today.” Jongdae said coming back down the stairs.

Chanyeol stopped hugging Kris and high-fived Jongdae. “Thanks bro.”

“Yo it is not a problem.” Jongdae said going back up the stairs to show Chanyeol his room.

“You know I think that looks like the start of a beautiful bromance.” Minseok said.

“Yeah, yeah. Jongdae deserves it. Everyone deserves a good bromance.” Kris said.

Minseok turned and looked at him with what Kris couldn’t describe as anything other than a wicked grin. “And what about romance, Mr. Wu? What are your thoughts on that?”

Kris dry swallowed.