Friend Date

Canadian Higher Learning

Good things were happening to Kris. Maybe it was because it was November and it was his zodiac sign’s time to shine, who knows. He didn’t care. Things were looking up for him and Minseok.

Firstly, he had received confirmation from Minseok about Luhan. Minseok had confirmed that Luhan was not his boyfriend. (It was easier than Kris expected it to be. All it took was Minseok texting him the day after the bakery about how nice it was to see Kris and Kris simply added in is Luhan your boyfriend? And Minseok replied no, just my friend)

The only downside to the whole Luhan thing was the fact that Luhan was British. Well, not really, he was born and raised Beijing but Luhan was attending some British university and was spending a year abroad in Vancouver with his best friend. The upside that came from that tidbit was that Luhan wasn’t studying at UBC-Vancouver but instead at KPU which was located in Surrey. Surrey was a little too close to Vancouver but it was still further than Burnaby.

“I can feel it. Things are going to great for me and Minseok.” Kris said on the phone with Tao.

“Have you asked him out yet?”

Kris snorted. “No, why would I?”

“Because you’re twenty years old, going on twenty-one, and you’re acting like you’re in middle school.”

“No, I’m not. I still don’t know for sure if Minseok is single. I got lucky with Luhan, I don’t know about the rest of the country.”

“When you do ask Minseok-ge out, you can Skype double date with me and my boyfriend.” Tao said.

“You have a boyfriend? Since when?”

“I’ve had tons of boyfriends since coming to Canada! But my current boyfriend is this absolutely wonderful Singaporean heir. He could be a bit more handsome but I’m not complaining.”

“Does he go to Mount A too?”

“Of course! There’s not exactly a large population of Singaporean heirs wandering around Sackville.”

“Maybe I should ask Minseok out on a friend date. He can’t say no to a friend date. We’re friends. He even knows my birthday.”

“Gege, do whatever it takes. I don’t want to see you single anymore. You can’t spend your whole life pining away for Minseok-ge. If you wait any longer than Luhan will really make his move.” Tao hung up.

, Kris had forgotten about that. Just because Luhan and Minseok weren’t dating, that didn’t mean that they were never going to. Luhan could very easily be waiting for the right moment to grasp Minseok in his delicate British hands.

“My hands are delicate, aren’t they?” Kris asked himself as he looked at his hand. “This is the reason why most unis give their students roommates.”

The real question was what to do with Minseok on their friend date. Were movies too much of a cliché? They could go out to eat but it would have to be somewhere casual so it didn’t seem too much like a friend date. Friends hung out with each other in dorm rooms but Kris felt like if he were to invite Minseok to his dorm room his heart would have major palpitations. What did Minseok’s dorm room look like? Did Minseok even live in a dorm? He probably had some off-campus apartment that he shared with three other roommates and the whole thing was a constant episode of an Asian-Canadian collegiate version of FRIENDS.

His phone buzzed with a new text. Kris opened it and a strange gargled noise came out of his mouth. It was a text from Minseok along with a selfie. Minseok’s selfie was him bundled up in a beanie and a scarf. The scarf was so big; Kris could barely make out Minseok’s smile.  It was so cute, so cute and so precious and good Lord, Kris was going to turn twenty-one soon. The actual text read

To: Kris

From: Minseok

Hey! I’m on my way to SFU for a while. Are you free to hang out?

Of course he was free to hang out. It was Saturday and basketball season had yet to start. Even if he wasn’t free, he wouldn’t let Minseok pass him by.

To: Minseok

From: Kris

Yeah! Let me know when you get here! Do you want to get some Triple O’s?

Triple O’s would the perfect place. It was a fast food joint; burgers are the ultimate casual food. They even had veggie burgers in case Minseok was a vegetarian. Kris patted himself on the back for coming up with that idea.

To: Kris

From: Minseok

That sounds great. I’ll let you know when I get there. Let’s meet up in front of Terry Fox!

Ah, good old Terry Fox. Kris left his bed and walked over to his mirror. He was wearing sweats and a SFU sweatshirt. The sweatshirt was decent and he decided to throw on some jeans and pair of boots along with his own scarf (that although a bit giant, didn’t overwhelm him like Minseok’s did) and waited.

When the text from Minseok arrived, he made his way to the Terry Fox statue and smiled seeing Minseok there, looking even cuter in person. “Hey!” Minseok said greeting him.

“Hi, let’s get ourselves to Triple O’s. The weather is always worse up here.” Kris said showing Minseok the way.

Once they got to Triple O’s, Minseok let out a sigh and undid his scarf.  “You’re right. The weather is worse. How do you do it?”

“I had three years of experience. Now it’s harder for me when I’m not in the mountains.”

Minseok ordered first, keeping it simple getting a regular burger and French fries. Kris hated himself for ordering two regular burgers and two orders of onion rings. He didn’t know how much Minseok knew about his career as a basketball player and he always hated the looks he got when he ate. It was like people never thought he grew out of his high school eating habit.

“You’re the type of person that orders everything at once, eh?” Minseok said when Kris sat down.

“I’m a basketball player so I always end up eating more than other people. It’s a jock stereotype that’s true.”

Minseok laughed. “I could figure that. It’s just that I’m the type of person even at a fast food joint, I order my main meal first and then my dessert. Triple O’s has the best milkshakes.”

It turns out Minseok was even cuter while he was eating. His cheeks grew and there was a look of pure happiness on his face. Kris swore he had never eaten Triple O’s so good before.

“By the way, what do you want for your birthday?” Minseok asked.

Kris swallowed an onion ring whole. Minseok was planning on getting him a birthday gift. Dreams do come true. “I don’t have anything I want in particular. You don’t have to get me anything.”

“Twenty-one is a big birthday. You could legally drink in the United States. I have to get you something.”

“Then get me whatever. I’m really not a picky person. But while, we’re on the subject of birthday gifts, what should I get you on March 26th for your twenty-first birthday?”

Minseok gave a smile that Kris couldn’t put his finger on. It almost seemed like a smirk. “I’m not going to be turning twenty-one. I’m going to be turning twenty-two.”

Minseok was older than him? “You’re going to be turning twenty-two?”

“Yeah, I know. Most people think I’m a freshman or a senior in high school but I’m going to be turning twenty-two.”

“Then I guess I’ll have to get you something even more special, ge,” Kris said, adding in the Chinese honorific at the end.

“Kris, I’m sure you’ll come up with something spectacular.”

Kris tried really hard to ignore it, but in the back of his head he could hear Jongdae’s voice so clearly saying “Give him your in a box!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello guys!

Sorry about the delay on this chapter but I'm glad a lot of you are liking the story and I'm especially glad that a lot of you are liking British-Chinese Luhan because let's face it, now I'm even hopelessly in love with the idea

<3 Smooches <3