Chinese-British Popstar

Canadian Higher Learning

It was three weeks into September; soon enough it would be Thanksgiving and Kevin would go down the mountain and back to Vancouver to spend it with his family. He wondered if it would be weird if he invited Minseok. There was no way Minseok was going to go back to Korea just for a few days and Minseok probably didn’t have anyone to spend it with. But Minseok had been living in Canada for the past three years and probably had a plan already during the holidays.

That was what Kevin had been contemplating for the past two weeks.  How to approach Minseok and how to tell his parents that his English name was no longer Kevin but Kris. Kris (the ex-Kevin) had officially changed his English name and truth be told it did flow a lot better. Kris had been searching for the answer to his problems in ketchup chips and Molson while a few of Tao’s favourite sappy Chinese love songs played in the background.

He and Minseok had texted a few times but all the messages were short and ended quickly. Kris didn’t have this much trouble in high school when it came to dating. Even the first two years of his higher learning were stress-free when it came to romance. All it took was Minseok to come around and turn everything upside-down. Maybe he couldn’t meet up with Minseok during Thanksgiving but surely Minseok was still in Vancouver. And how big was Vancouver really? Like when you really, really thought about it?

“Mom, I’m heading to the bakery. Is there anything else you want from the list?” Kris asked. He was back home and there was something about it, that just made him feel better. He always had a love for his mother, never once going through the ‘I hate you’ phase and he liked spending time with her. He didn’t mind running small errands for her. It was the least he could do for someone that he still called for help every time he did laundry.

His mom answered no and Kris took the bus to one stop down where he would barely walk before reaching the local Chinese bakery. He walked in and grabbed the almond biscuits and ham and egg buns and grabbed a beef bun for him to eat on the bus ride back. He paid and was on the way out the door when he noticed sitting at one of the tables near the door was Minseok. Minseok sitting next to and laughing and speaking in Mandarin to guy with brown hair styled like a C-pop singer and an equally C-pop singer-like face. If the beef bun wasn’t so good, Kris would have dropped by it. Should he say something? Was Minseok on a date? Was this Minseok’s boyfriend? Oh, God. This was Minseok’s boyfriend. Kris didn’t keep up with the Asian pop world as much as Tao but this had to be some C-pop idol or trainee that Minseok was dating because Minseok was the type of guy to even make celebrities enter in risky relationships with him.

How am I going to compete with a C-pop idol? Kris thought to himself, mindlessly taking bites of the beef bun.

“Oh hey, Kris! I didn’t see you there!” Minseok said in English, taking Kris away from his thoughts.

Kris walked over to them. “Hi! How are you doing? I didn’t know you lived in this area.”

“I don’t.  I was just around Vancouver and decided to stop in here. This is Luhan, by the way.” Minseok said.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Luhan said in English with a British accent. There was no way Kris was competing with a Chinese-British pop singer. Minseok truly was a god amongst men.

Kris shook Luhan’s hand. “Hi. I’m Kris Wu.”

Luhan paused and studied Kris. “Are you Chinese? Did you ever live in China?”

“Yeah, I am. I lived in Guangzhou but only for a little bit. I went to visit a lot. Now that you mention it, you look familiar.”

“Did anyone in your family take part in hosting exchange students from Korea?”

Kris had a revelation. “They did! We must have met each other at orientation. Was Minseok your exchange student?”

Minseok spoke to Kris in Mandarin. “I had no idea you spoke Mandarin fluently!”

Kris was now also speaking in Mandarin. “My exchange student was named Jongdae. He had this mouth where the corners always made him look like he was smiling-“

Minseok spoke up. “I know him! We even knew each other back in Korea. And yeah, Lu-ge was my host.”

Lu-ge? Kris thought.  How old is this pop star? “He lives in Canada, Jongdae, you know. He’s out in Québec studying.”

“Really? All this time and he was right here in Canada.” Minseok said.

“I should get going. I have to take these home. It was great seeing you guys.” Kris said, walking out of the bakery.

He caught the bus right as it was pulling up to the stop and sat down and looked out the window. What was Luhan to Minseok? If it was a date, wouldn’t have Kris been able to sense that they wanted him out? And what was the deal with Luhan anyway? How did he even get a British accent? Were British accents even a thing anymore? It was just an accent, how did people get by it? He let his head bump into the window and wince in pain.

Couldn’t Minseok be even a tiny bit easier? Or at the very least, less painful to like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

If any of you read my other stories, you know I can be quite a chatter in my A/N's but this is the first time I'm speaking to you guys! So thank you for all the comments and subs and love for this fanfic! It's a fanfic that I really like and I'm glad there are people out there that like it too.

Also, I am sorry that this chapter is late. I had a good portion of it done and then when I was nearing the end, this needed to be put on the backburner for a little while. I hope you all don't mind.

Oh, if you guys have any questions about the characters or if all the uni's are confusing you please let me know! I'll be glad to tell you in the comments or put up some of the schools and such as character profiles in the forward.

<3 Smooches <3