1. The unlikely reunion

Lost & Found
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi Siwon, MD, Emergency Consultant, strode into the staff-room with a large mug of steaming hot coffee. His break was long overdue, his body still abuzzed with the earlier activities that kept him on his feet the last 6 hours.

 

There was a major highway accident, 10 cars pile up that resulted in many injuries, serious or otherwise. While the neighboring hospitals took in the casualties, Seoul State Hospital had sent out its team of emergency personnel to assist onsite in addition to dealing with those sent in. Extra staff had to be called back. And only now, 6 solid hours later, the whole department is settling down to deal with the mountain of paperwork that occurred. Senior ward nurse, Sungmin, had finally called for a temporary shutdown of the whole emergency department to allow everyone a half hour break before they begin operations again. Ambulances will have to divert their load elsewhere in the meantime.

 

“Good job, everyone.” Siwon’s deep voice hushed the room quickly. “We will have our debrief in the next few days. But it is suffice to say all of you are top-notch, even the firefighters and paramedics commented how well every one of you worked, even the student nurses.” Then he graced the group of student nurses seated huddled together a glance, promptly setting off the pink in their cheeks.

 

It’s an automatic reflex, Sungmin had decided long ago. Choi Siwon must think that all females have a slightly rosy glow to their cheeks because that was how they generally appear when he’s looking at them.

 

Sungmin wished that the ladies will listen to him when he tells them not to waste their time when it comes to MD Choi.

 

Tall, lean, dark, sinewy, he is built like an Italian model. His midnight black mane and glittering onyx orbs gave the impression of a greek god wandering amidst them. He cuts a commanding figure in the A&E ward and strangely at the age of 35, he is still very much single. Having been drenched badly out on the highway, he had changed into dry theatre scrubs that showed off his powerful bare arms, a healthy eyeful of his collarbones and firm chest, and who can ignore the faint hint of abs whenever the thin material stretched as he raised his arms over his head to stretch his tired muscles.

 

“Will you be coming to Shingdong’s farewell party next Saturday, Dr. Choi?” Sungmin watched in amusement as one of the student nurses struck up her courage to ask. Although out of place, every female in the room is glad she asked and more than interested to know the answer.

 

“I might pop in for 5 minutes.” Siwon replied, his attention distracted by the telly which he wasn’t really watching. He is trying to switch his brain off for a while by focusing on something totally different.

 

But for some reason, today, he just couldn’t relax. He knows the wreckage was starting to clear and the emergency rescue operation has pretty much ended. Yet it didn’t feel like it’s over yet. He’s uneasy. He could argue that the earlier adrenalin from trying to save 40 victims is still coursing its way through him but he had gone through worst situations without feeling this unsettled before.

 

“I could give you a lift!” Heechul smiled the smile of the cat that got the canary. Siwon did not return the smile instead turning back to the tv.

 

“I can give you a lift there if you like, Siwon.” Heechul offered again, thinking the doctor did not hear his offer.

 

Sungmin snickered discreetly. He can’t help enjoying himself as he watched from the side. No one would guess from his smiling demeanor but Sungmin did not like Heechul, the new and very condescending registar. This newbie did not bother to hide his interest in snagging the top prize.

 

“It’s okay.” Siwon replied absently. “I am not even sure if I will be going.”

 

“Well, still….” Heechul persists. “If you do want that drink, I will be happy to drive. It’s not often we both get the same night off.”

 

Sungmin chuckled. That was truly entertaining.

 

“I’ve plans that night.” Siwon turned back to flash what Sungmin recognized as Siwon’s “back off!” smile. Color rushed off Heechul’s face as he was quietly pushed back into his corner. “As I said, I might try to get there so I could say farewell to Shindong.” He continued to inform everyone in the room that the sole reason he is going to the party is to say goodbye to a longtime colleague. “Who’s holding onto the collection money?” he asked briskly.

 

Sungmin replied, “I am. But you’ve already contributed.”

 

“Sure?” Siwon checked.

 

“Quite sure.” Sungmin replied with a nod, all the while smiling to himself. MD Choi never mixed business with pleasure and he is not shy to make that clear either. Although, who can blame the ladies and even a few gentlemen for trying? The prize is too good to lose, even Sungmin was tempted to give it a go if he wasn't faithfully married to his beloved Ryeowook.

 

Still, it boggles Sungmin why hadn’t everyone learn that Siwon is a very private person. He would never date a colleague, he wouldn’t even bring his date to a work gathering.

 

Now, don’t be mistaken. Siwon is polite, kind, and nice. But he guards his privacy with the zeal of a lioness protecting her young. He would chat with his staff, he talked easily to each one of them, he just won’t discuss himself with anyone. And Sungmin is pretty sure Siwon is no prude. He certainly seems to like ….alot!

 

As the department manager, Sungmin frequently recall doctors from their homes. He remembered ladies picking up Siwon’s phone or purring in the background as Siwon answered the phone breathlessly.

 

Siwon always walked in impeccably dressed so no one had a clue he was ruefully interrupted in the bedroom. Although once, Sungmin had the privilege of waiting in the same room while Siwon changes out of his bloodied theatre scrubs and he was treated to a clear view of scratch marks on the doctor’s back and when he turned, an even clearer view of his chest covered with fresh love bites.

 

Sungmin blushed at the memory.

 

 

Siwon’s rock hard thigh starts to bob up and down. Clearly the restlessness is haunting him again. It’s freezing outside but inside the heater is on too high. He couldn’t relax no matter how hard he tried.

 

The intercom came alive, announcing the arrival of another patient. Sungmin protested. He wants to make sure all his staff has taken a proper rest. It was tough turning away people who needed help but they are already understaffed and exhausted after the highway accident episode earlier.

 

“There are also empty shelves to stock, and patients in the wards to check on.” Sungmin reminds Siwon.

 

“Patient, male, found a short distance away from the accident scene. Trapped in his car, John Doe, 20s, hypothermic, full cardiac arrest.” The despatcher continues to read out the stats.

 

Siwon stood up whilst grabbing a sandwich before heading for the door. The thought that a victim was left behind for 4 gruesome hours all alone sickened him.

 

While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, Siwon and his staff rushed about getting everything ready; the warming unit needs to be , the IVs need to be warmed, the anesthetist summoned.

 

“What else do we know?’ Siwon demands when they had a brief reprieve from the preparations.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter