#3 The Meeting

What Are Walls For?

Sunny was almost done with her drink, “ Tae, I’m going now. It seems like I can’t procrastinate any longer.” Sunny showed Taeyeon her phone screen, with notifications of her co-workers asking for her help. Seeing the resigned look on Sunny’s face, Taeyeon got up from her seat, placed her book on the table and went over to the counter.

“ Here, take some snacks over, maybe they’ll spare you their whining for being late.” Taeyeon packed some donuts, bagels and croissants into a carrier for Sunny.

“ Thanks Tae, see you soon!” Sunny took the carrier and gave Taeyeon a warm hug before leaving.

‘Ding,ding’ the bell rang as Sunny made her exit.

 

No sooner than she had left, the bell rang again.

 

‘Ding,ding’

“HEY TAE, HAPPY NEW YEAR!” Sunny stuck her head in and gleefully shouted before making her leave.

 

This simple gesture made Taeyeon smile, “ that idiot, we were sitting here for so long and she totally forgot it until she left.”

 

Taeyeon was about to settle into her seat again when a gust of cold wind blew in. A chic, blond girl walked in.

tumblr_neb50aWc4m1s6exl1o1_500.png

 

Despite the open concept of the cafe, this girl brought in a new level of brightness. She seemed to light the whole place up.

 

“ Good morning” Taeyeon bowed to the new customer.

She returned the greeting with a slight smile and tip of her head.

 

Despite the chilly weather, the girl was wearing nothing more than a simple beige shirt and blue skirt.

 

“Woah, isn’t she cold? Maybe she came in here to escape those biting winds.” Taeyeon thought to himself.

She returned to the counter, getting ready to receive the girl’s order.

 

She took some time to scan the menu, meanwhile, Taeyeon was patiently waiting for her order.

 

“ Could I have a Caramel Latte and a vanilla cupcake?” the girl ordered upon deciding her order.

 

“Sure” Taeyeon replied, after keying in the order. “And your name is?” he said out of habit.

 

“Hmm? Jessica, but why do you need my name?” Jessica replied, slightly taken aback.

 

“Sorry, it’s to write down on the drinks so that they won’t be mixed up. I must have said it out of habit.” Taeyeon replied, pretty flustered.

 

“No worries” Jessica said with a slight smile.

 

Taeyeon proceeded to brew her coffee.

 

“Excuse me, is it okay if I were to do my work here?” Jessica asked

 

Looking up from the drink, Taeyeon answered: “ Sure, it’s pretty empty anyway. There’s WiFi available here too.”

 

“Thanks” she simply gave a short reply. After collecting her drink and cupcake, Jessica settled in a seat by the wall.

 

Seeing that there was nothing else to do, Taeyeon cleaned up the counter and went back to his seat to continue reading. There was something at the back of his head, rendering him unable to grasp the story. He looked up to clear his mind, yet his eyes fell upon  the lone figure bent over a silver laptop. Her fingers momentarily flying across the keys, a few breaths of pause, and more typing.

 

He smiled to himself, thinking “it was lucky of me to get her name.”

 

He observed her for awhile, before continuing his book.



Author’s note: Omgggg they finally meet!!! I’m so excited! It took three chapters for them to meet, I apologize again if its too slow. But I’d like for the characters to develop, so that readers would actually get a better connection to them. Hopefully I don’t bore you.