VIII. Beginnings

Umbrella

CHAPTER 8: BEGINNINGS

“You live here alone?” Naeun asked as Eunji led her inside her humble unit.

It wasn’t shabby, but it wasn’t that neat either. There were opened college books on the sofa, showing some highlighted sentences on the page while the pillows were found on the floor. The dining table was clean, but there were some unwashed dishes on the kitchen sink. More books were found when Eunji led her to the bedroom, but they were neatly stacked on the table and the bookshelf. The bed looked like not one used it for a long time as it was tidy and doesn’t even have any crease on it. According to Eunji, her bedroom is the cleanest area of her apartment unit.

“Yes. And sorry for what you saw outside…” She replied, referring to the cluttered mess that welcomed her guest. “Please have a seat.” Eunji added as she pointed at her bed.

Eunji then went back to the kitchen to see if there’s anything that she can offer her visitor. Luckily, there was an unopened, oreo-flavored ice cream inside the freezer. Along with that, she grabbed two spoons before she went back inside her bedroom. She sat down beside Naeun who was already comfortable on her place.

“You must really like stars, don’t you?” Naeun asked while looking at the ceiling full with glow in the dark stars. Some of it was randomly placed, while others formed some known constellations such as Orion, Leo, and The Big Dipper.

“I’ve always been fascinated about them.” Eunji reasoned as she looked up. “I actually wanted a unit with an open view but this was the only one available with a good price, and it was really hard to look for one near my university.” She added, scooping a spoon of ice cream for herself.

“Oh…”

Obviously, Naeun didn’t know. And now that she thought about it, she really doesn’t know anything about Eunji except for her name and university. She cannot deny that the girl she drank with, slept with, and had dinner with, was in fact, still a stranger based on the information she knew about the latter. But if she’s going to solely base it on her feelings, Naeun knew to herself that Eunji is far more than a stranger to her, despite the fact that they only met for the fifth time.

“Is there something wrong?” Eunji asked after seeing the younger one space out.

“Ah, sorry…I was just…” She paused as she stared at the concerned look on Eunji’s face. Naeun then scooped a spoonful of ice cream for herself. “Why don’t you tell me about yourself?”

Eunji raised an eyebrow, curious. “What do you mean?”

“Well, you’re Jung Eunji and you study in University of Science and Technology.”

“And…?”

“That’s exactly my point!” Naeun exclaimed as she slowly indulged herself into the cold treat. “That’s all I know about you…”

Hearing the latter’s disappointed voice in that last sentence made her melt inside. Eunji never knew that this celebrity could be as adorable as she is when she’s drunk. She can really see that Naeun wanted to know her better, and she wanted to know her better as well so might as well use this opportunity for a proper introduction.

“As you know, I’m Jung Eunji. I am 21 years old, and my hometown is in Busan which is quite obvious. I study Astronomy in UST.” She finished her introduction with a smile as she ate more of the ice cream.

“Come on, you can do better than that.” The younger one complained. “Tell me something more interesting.”

“Why don’t you start then?” Eunji coolly passed the baton to Naeun. She grabbed the ice cream and ate as she watched the jet-black haired woman gather her thoughts.

“Okay.” She coughed before starting. “I’ve always loved drawing, until I became a part of a school play back in high school.”

“You can draw?” she blurted out, awed at how talented the woman in front of her is. Eunji cannot believe it at first, since Naeun’s fingers doesn’t have any sign of calluses. “How did that school play changed your dream?” she questioned, focused and ready to listen to Naeun’s explanation.

“It actually challenged me. It’s like drawing a scene, but you do it with your voice, face, and body language, which is pretty interesting. But it is hard, you know. It made me want to do better, so I joined another play and that’s when my passion for it started.” Naeun then sighed as high school memories started playing in her mind: how she was chosen to be Sleeping Beauty, how she craved for another role, and when she managed to successfully cry in front of everyone for the first time. “Okay, your turn.”  She then suggested that they should do it alternately. It would help each other think of anything while one is explaining.

“This may sound stupid but…I cry whenever I watch someone or a team win in their championship game, especially if it’s really an intense game. It’s really hard for people to make me cry, but this one is an exception.”

Naeun blinked for a few times. “That’s…interesting.”

“You know that overwhelming feeling of happiness that your hard work pays off? That feeling of winning something you fought hard for, for me, is too much. When you see the athletes jump in joy, but cry at the same time…it’s that emotional.”

“Are you an athlete?”

“That’s the thing! I never joined any sports related competitions. I did some martial arts back when I was a kid, but that’s about it. It was just a hobby.” Eunji continued before passing the ice cream to Naeun. “Next.”

She scooped one for herself and ate it before continuing. “I like to read books, but most of the time I never make it to the ending.”

“That’s weird. “ Eunji immediately retorted. “Then how do you know how it ends?”

“I just predict. If I’m right, then I won’t read the rest. If not, I’ll go back and reread the whole thing.” Naeun responded but her eyes were focused on the container that was slowly getting empty.

“Aren’t you wasting your time that way?”

“It’s the only thing I do besides acting.” She stated as-a-matter-of-factly. Naeun then passed the half-empty ice cream container to Eunji.

“I’ll tell something quite related to what you said.” She chuckled and straightened her back as she was already near to lying on the bed. “Books, or movies, I research about its plot and ending then that’s when I decide whether to read, or watch it, or not.”

“Then what kind of ending would make you give the movie or the book a shot?”

“Those endings that is interesting? I really don’t know how to explain this but maybe when it gives me a feeling of uniqueness…or maybe those open-ended ones? And sometimes, it just depends on my mood. Maybe I just want to prepare myself like, I know what to expect so it wouldn’t really affect me as much when I reach the end.”

Naeun tried to process Eunji’s explanation, which took her a few minutes. The older one on the other hand, just kept on stifling her laugh as she watched her guest get confused over her statement. She had a lot of questions regarding to what Eunji said, but she felt like it’s just going to get more complicated if she asks it so she just kept it to herself.

“Earth to Son Naeun?” Eunji teased as she waved her hand in front of the latter’s eyes, snapping her out of her deep thoughts. “Did your brain stop working? It’s your turn now.” she added another one.

“Ah, right. I’m sorry.” Naeun gave an awkward and shy laugh.

The both of them continued spending their time getting to know each other, and it went by so fast that both of them didn’t notice that it has been 3 hours since they arrived. Also, the effect of the milk from the ice cream is starting to take over their body as the let out contagious yawns every now and then. Despite of that, the two tried their best to go on with their stories and enjoy each other’s company until they found themselves completely lying on the bed already, facing the artificial stars on the white ceiling.

“Your…” The older one paused and yawned. “…turn.”

“Are you sure?” Naeun asked as she heard Eunji’s voice which sounded tired already. She glanced at her side and saw the older one’s droopy eyes slowly closing before it immediately opens up once again.

“Hmm…”

“But you’re dozing off already.”

Silence answered her but even though that’s the case, Naeun shared one last thing about herself. “I used to associate the rain with bad things, mainly because it was present in a lot of hurtful events that I had ever since I was a kid: when my dog got ran over by a car, when my mom left me and my dad for another guy, when I told my dad that…oh well, things that I really do not want to remember. The rain makes me feel alone and vulnerable, until…”

Naeun shifted her body and faced towards the woman who was already in her deep sleep as she completed her sentence with a grateful smile on her face.

She then felt relieved afterwards, since what she did was actually more of a confession. Naeun continued to just watched the latter sleep until the drowsiness finally punched her hard on the face, making her start to black out. Her eyes felt heavier and heavier as it were about to close already when suddenly she heard a vibrating sound on the side table beside Eunji. She lazily tried to reach for it, and opened the message as soon as she saw her own number on the screen.

“Where are you right now? I’ll come and pick Naeun up.”

---

Bomi got off the van after she parked it inside the parking lot of their company’s building. She was about to go home, but she needed to tell their boss about what happened so instead of heading straight out, she went towards main office and explained. Bomi already anticipated the scolding that she will get, so she really didn’t mind since she understood where her boss is coming from. Naeun’s behavior is really hard to grasp, and both of them are sure that she’s going to get in trouble again if this goes on. Although it’s a part of her job to guide their top star, Naeun is like her younger sister as well and she knows that the more you restrict, the more she’ll rebel.

Afterwards, she then exited their building when suddenly the security guard called her attention. She was then led back in towards the company’s canteen where she was handed a box of cake. “Someone asked to give this to you.”

“I already told you where to put the gifts that the fans sent to Naeun, right?” Bomi raised her eyebrows as she examined the box of cake. “It’s on the –“

“I’m sorry, but the one who left it said that the cake is addressed to you, and not to Miss Son.”

“Eh?” The young manager blurted out, shocked with what he told her. “Are you sure?” Bomi continued to examine the box and saw a post-it stuck underneath.

“Yes, Miss Yoon.” He bowed before he left Bomi who was already reading the message written on the paper.

Belated Happy Birthday, Yoon Bomi. I didn’t have anything for you last time, so I have something for you and I wanted to give it personally. For now, please enjoy the cake. Just contact me anytime that you’re available, and I’ll come to you. 010-9193-7766

-----

A/N: Really, thank you for those who are genuinely interested in my work. ^^ Thank you for your time and attention ^^ I'll do my best to improve more. :)