X. You

Umbrella

CHAPTER 10: YOU

“Welcome to my home.” Eunji smiled brightly at Naeun, obviously excited at the thought of being home after months of not being able to go back to her hometown. “Are you sure you don’t want to come inside for a while?” She then shifted her attention to Bomi who wasn’t going down the van.

“As much as I wanted to, but I already have promised someone for today so…” Bomi sighed and shrugged. “Next time, maybe?”

“Of course.”  She gave a thumb up.

“I’ll get you guys later, okay? Have fun!” Bomi waved goodbye as she drove away from the two.

Eunji then pressed the doorbell for a few times while Naeun waited from behind. The smile doesn’t leave her face because of the fact that she can spend this special day not only with Naeun, but most importantly, with her family too. With that, she just knew that this is going to be one of the best out of all. After a few minutes, a woman in her 50s opened the gate and was shocked as soon as she saw Eunjis’s face.

“Mom!” the younger one pulled her beloved mother in for a tight and warm hug.

Naeun who was witnessing the very touching moment, had a bittersweet smile on her face. It was really nice; especially that it’s her first time seeing this side from Eunji. She can even hear the older one sob, proving how much the latter missed her family. On the other hand, she felt a little envious too, since she knows that a kid is probably getting the same kind of affection from her own mother. Her dad is still there, but she cannot expect anything from him.

She then heard the two to start conversing, but she cannot understand since everything was completely in Busan accent.

“What are you doing here?” Eunji’s mom asked as she wiped off the tears from her daughter’s cheeks. “Aren’t you busy?”

“I’m free today, and my classes for tomorrow will start at around noon, so I have time.” Eunji replied with a gummy smile on her face.

“That’s great then! We can continue with the celebration then.”

“If that’s what you really want, mom. Ah, by the way…” Eunji leaned in closer to whisper something. “I brought a friend and…you can keep secrets, right?”

“Of course I can, my dear. But…may I know the reason why?

“You’ll know when you see her. And maybe if we can drop the accent…” Eunji then turned back and asked Naeun to come closer. Her mom’s eyes widened once again the moment she saw Naeun standing beside her daughter. “Mom, this is Son Naeun.”

“Hello, nice to meet you, Mrs. Jung.” she bowed, almost 90 degrees. “I’m Son Naeun.” She gently smiled.

“Oh my goodness…” Her mom silently exclaimed. “A-aren’t you…”

“Now you understand, mom?” Eunji chuckled as she found her mom’s reaction quite adorable. She then put her arm on Naeun’s shoulders and pulled her closer. “But we’re not going to stay overnight, okay?”

“Is that so?” Mrs. Jung then reached for Naeun’s hand. “Please come in and make yourself at home. Well actually, we should immediately prepare for the party…” They both walked inside the house while Eunji followed after closing the gate for them.

“Party…?” Naeun questioned. Eunji didn’t mention anything about attending a party or someone celebrating within her family.

“Seems like my daughter didn’t tell anything…well, she doesn’t really tell anyone about it unless someone asks…”

“About what, Mrs. Jung…?”

“It’s Eunji’s birthday today.” Eunji’s mom then excused herself and went straight to the kitchen. “Eunji-ya, show her around the house, okay?”

“Yes mom!” Eunji shouted as a reply before awkwardly laughing as she noticed Naeun’s deadly glare. She mouthed sorry at her friend and asked her to come closer. Naeun on the other hand, slapped the older one’s arm as she pouted.

“Come on, I’ll show you around.” She then held on Naeun’s hand and was about to start touring her when she was pulled back by the latter. “Is there a problem?”

“Eunji-ya…”

“Hmm…?”

“Happy Birthday.” Naeun smiled. It may not be as bright as how Eunji does it, but she’s sure that it came from the bottom of her heart. Even the birthday celebrant thought so too. She doesn’t know why, but she’s just sure that it was sincere.

Eunji then showed her their humble home. If you can compare the house to a human body, it would be a tall yet slim one. It was a three-floor, modern-minimalist style residence with an outdoor, mini garden. They first toured the ground floor, where the living room, dining and kitchen area are located. Then they went to the second floor which consists of Minki’s room, and the master’s bedroom that belongs to her parents. Last but not the least, the highest level, which is a special one since only Eunji occupies the floor. It only consists of a room and a roof garden in which the older one always hang out, especially during the night.

All of these were attained, thanks to Mr. Jung who continues to work hard outside of the country.

After that, they both went down and helped Mrs. Jung with the preparations. Eunji happens to be a good cook, like her mother while Naeun’s cooking skill wasn’t even near the term decent. It wasn’t a problem for the Jungs, and they willingly taught the basics to Eunji’s guest. Mrs. Jung prepared a Korean-style feast for her eldest child since it was her daughter’s request. Later that night after everything has been cooked; the four of them sat down and prayed for their blessings before finally diving in to eat.

So this is how it feels to eat with your family… Naeun thought to herself as she observed how Eunji’s family eat together. It was full of laughter and conversation, unlike in her house in which the silence can be so deafening.

“Are you okay?” Eunji asked as she noticed the quietness of the one sitting beside her.

“Yeah…” she nodded. “Don’t worry.”

“Eunji-ya.” Her mom unknowingly interrupted their conversation. “Where’s your other friend? The feisty one…”

“Ah, Chorong? She’s busy today so she cannot come.” Eunji reasoned.

“I miss that kid.” Mrs. Jung laughed. “She’s a really hyperactive one. She always has something to say, and she’s always ready to go everywhere. I wonder how she is…”

She’s probably experiencing the first slow-motion moment in her life. Eunji stifled a laugh as she thought about Chorong’s date with Bomi. “She’s probably fine, mom.” She stated as-a-matter-of-factly.

“Is that so?” she chuckled before shifting her gaze at Naeun. “Naeun-ah, how’s the food?” Mrs. Jung gave her motherly smile.

“It was really delicious!” she exclaimed.

“Then please eat more.” Eunji’s mother said as she scooped more of the food and put it on Naeun’s plate.

The dinner went smoothly, thanks to Mrs. Jung who treated Naeun like her own child. Naeun was able to join the conversation and eat comfortably, even to the point of laughing until she shed tears. It actually became quite chaotic, especially when Mrs. Jung went away for some time and came back with photo albums containing Eunji’s childhood. To sum it up, Naeun felt like she enjoyed a meal with her family for the first time.

Both of them wanted to help Mrs. Jung to clean everything that they used, but the older woman insisted that they rest. Even though Eunji felt guilty as she thought about it, she had no choice but to follow, only for today. With that, the two of them went to the roof garden to spend their remaining time freely before Bomi arrives.

“It’s better this way…” Eunji said as she laid a picnic mat on the grass for the two of them. She then lay on it, relaxed as she watched the clear view of the stars above them.

“The view is really different from Seoul.” Naeun complimented as she lay down beside Eunji. “It’s really nice…”

“No matter how many times I look at it, it’s still breathtaking.” Her eyes were as clear as the sky.

Naeun just nodded as they both stayed silent for a few minutes, admiring the blanket of little diamonds that were looking down on the two of them. She then glanced at the woman beside her, who looked so stress-free compared like she had nothing to worry about. Everything was just tranquil, unlike her everyday life in her career.

“Eunji-ya…”

“Hmm…?”

“Thank you. To be honest, I really never had a chance to have an enjoyable meal with my own family. So thank you for this opportunity.” Her voice sounded so calm. “I’m sorry also if I didn’t know that it was your birthday and I have nothing to give.”

“I think I should be the one thanking you, Naeun-ah. You were the one who asked me to come here with you, and I’m really thankful that you did. Because of you, I had the one of the most memorable birthdays that I celebrated. And you don’t have to be sorry for anything.” She then looked at Naeun. “Besides, you might not know, but you did give me a present.” Eunji felt her cheeks started to get warm.

“I did? What did I give you?” her face switched from being blissful to quizzical.

“Son Naeun.”

“W-what did you say?”

“I said that it’s you.” Eunji stressed on the last word. “Thank you for being here with me tonight, and for just being Son Naeun.”

“Jung Eunji, are you confessing?” Naeun tried to change the mood into a playful one since she noticed that it was already getting serious. “Wow…just like how a fan would say…” Naeun started laughing, but Eunji just stared at her with a gentle smile on the face.

“Truth be told, I am not looking at the stars as much as I used to…” Eunji added, which piqued the younger one’s interest again. “I used to look for the brightest star, but now I kind of stopped doing so.”

“Why?”

“Because I think I already found it.”

Naeun then looked back at the sky. “Can you point it out for me?”

Eunji just chuckled as she replied.

“Why do I have to point it out when I’m already staring it?”

---

Bomi couldn’t count the number of times that she was honked by the cars that were behind her. She didn’t really intend to stall but she kept on spacing out, and she can’t help but do so even if she tried so hard not to. It was hard for her to notice that it already shifted from red to green light, especially when her mind is so occupied with something, or rather, someone. It has been 2 hours since she parted ways with Chorong, but for her it felt like everything just happened a few seconds ago.

“I like you, Yoon Bomi.”

Bomi coughed and almost choked on the food. “W-what…did you say?”

“I like you.” Chorong firmly reiterated her bold statement.

The younger one just stayed mum and was unable to say anything about the sudden confession. She was so confused. Why is she confessing all of a sudden? Is it possible to like a person just after meeting them a few times? She doesn’t know me that much, but why does she like me already? These questions clouded Bomi’s mind, making it hard for her to comprehend the situation. She was clueless on what to do, and what to say.

Chorong on the other hand, continued disclosing her feelings for Bomi. Now that she opened her heart, the overflowing feelings cannot be stopped anymore.

“I like you, Yoon Bomi. I know this is the third time that I’ve said it, but who cares? At least you’ll remember me for that. I know you’re wondering why I do, but to be honest, I myself don’t know either.”

“B-but—“

“And yes, as for Hani…” Chorong hesitated for a bit before continuing her question. “You’re not with her, am I right?”

“W-well…yeah b-but—“

“Then that’s it. I’m not asking you to like me back right now. I know that I am impatient but I am not forcing myself to you. I’m just making myself clear, so you won’t be confused with what’s going to happen after this. I also know that I am not at the same level as Hani in any aspect, but I’ll work my way up until I get there.”

Chorong just smiled at the dumbfounded Bomi. She looked so adorable especially when she shows that stupefied facial expression of hers. With that, the older one stood up and looked down on the still dazed young one. “Friends?” she extended her arm and offered a handshake.

“E-eh? Uhh…yeah?” Bomi stuttered as she held Chorong’s hand and shook it.

“Good. Anyway, I need to get going now. It was nice to meet you, Bomi-ya.” Now that they’re friends, Chorong started using informal language towards the latter as she bid farewell.

“Don’t worry; I’m going to make you like me.”

Bomi’s thoughts were interrupted by another honk once again as she travelled her way back to Busan to fetch Naeun and Eunji. She shook her head, trying to get rid of the scene a while ago, and the determined eyes that pierced right through her being. She needed to focus on the road, unless she wanted to die early.

She’s still unaware that from this day onwards, her life is going to be messed up by someone named Park Chorong.

-----

A/N: Surprise! But seriously, I think I won't be able to update that much starting next week, so I made this one. Like what I always say, thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting, and genuinely liking my story. I won't get tired of thanking you all. ^^ I also hope that you liked this update. ^^