XXVII. Her

Umbrella

CHAPTER 27: HER

Ilhoon buried his face on his palms as he breathed deeply. His fingers then pressed on his forehead, dragging it down to his sinus, before going back up and repeat the process of calming oneself. As he did so, memories of these past two years with Naeun appeared like random visions, and he can’t help but hiss.

What is going on?

Ilhoon remembered the times the two of them peacefully talked to one another, which he considered far from reach at first. He is very much aware of his bad temper and how it is the cause of all of their fights, but then one night it just happened that he is in a good mood and Naeun isn’t in her mode, and the two of them were able to carry a conversation without yelling and cursing each other.

Still nowhere near friendly, though, but he felt good.

Then he remembered the press conference they held just a week ago, and Ilhoon unconsciously smiled as he recalled how Naeun held his hand, how she linked their arms together, how her lips felt as she kissed him on the cheek-

“I’m all set to follow them-” Hani stopped mid-sentence after Ilhoon raised his hand, gesturing her to do so. 

“Let them be.” the bothered, young entrepreneur lifted himself up from Naeun’s bed. “I’ll just give them a call.”

Hani crossed her arms and observed her boss. She just doesn’t ask him, but she has been noticing the gradual change in terms of his personality over the years ever since he started this show of being a changed man. Sure, he is still obsessed with Naeun, but he has become more...rational. If Ilhoon was always impetuous about his decisions before, now he is more thoughtful of it. He still wears that smirk, but it has become comparatively gentle than before. Ilhoon doesn’t yell that much nowadays, and he seems to be in a good mood more often.

He still does make his men follow people around, particularly Naeun, but now more often for her security, rather than for surveillance.

But of course, he doesn’t really show this side of him to Naeun.

Hani then approached her boss after the call. “What did Bomi say? Where are they already?”

“I didn’t ask anymore. They might think I’m going to make someone run after them or something.” Ilhoon reasoned. “And you know how protective she is of Naeun. She thought I was mad.” He scoffed.

“Well, aren’t you? They left without a word.” She took a few steps closer, noticing the stress on the latter’s face. “Are you okay?”

“I guess it’s fine. I always do just the same.” He shrugged. “Anyway, tell everyone that we’re going to have a meeting at 3pm, sharp. I’m going to discuss the things needed to be watched over here while I’m away.”

“Okay. I’ll go ahead then.” Hani bowed, then pulled out her phone and dialed as she walked out the room.

Ilhoon was also about to leave, but he halted after noticing the random glow-in-the-dark star pasted on the wall. His eyes followed the trail of small, plastic stars that went further up, until what he saw at the end dumbfounded him: a ceiling full of glow-in-the-dark stars.

And then it hit him. Tsk.

The door was slammed shut.

---

Amidst the cold atmosphere due to the rainy weather, the lobby of the Secret Garden Hotel and Resort are warmly lit. In the middle of its short but wide hallway leading to the main lobby stood three decently dressed young employees and a respectable man in his mid-50s, waiting for their important guest to alight the soaked vehicle that just parked in front of the main entrance. All but one knew who the person was, and the clueless among the four asked for the last time.

“Namjoo-ya, who is our VIP anyway? You all have been keeping it from me ever since we got the news.” she complained.

“Just wait and see, okay?”

It didn’t take much long before two women with suitcases entered, which made the once clueless employee now in disbelief about what she’s seeing with her own eyes. was agape, knees frail, and body shaking.

“Oh my f-”

“Good afternoon, and welcome to Secret Garden Hotel and Resort.” Chairman Kwon, in his best-looking suit, bowed and welcomed their special guest with a warm smile. “It’s a pleasure and honor to have you, Ms. Son Naeun, here in our humble abode.” He then turned to Bomi. “And welcome back, Ms. Yoon. It’s nice to see you again.”

Naeun is a celebrity; someone already considerably big in the entertainment industry, but compared to an influential man named Kwon Yongmin, the head of the Kwon Enterprises, a powerful entity in the business industry, she becomes an ordinary citizen. Ironically though, he doesn’t exude that intimidating aura that most business big names, including her boyfriend Ilhoon, have. She was awed at how respectable, yet humble he looked. “Thank you.” Naeun politely bowed and softly smiled, feeling a bit more at ease than she expected. “And no, it’s our great honor to meet you, Chairman Kwon.”

Chairman Kwon bowed once again at the compliment.

Bomi then stepped forward and bowed as well before offering a handshake. “It’s nice to see you too, sir. I’m so sorry for the sudden notice that we’ll be arriving a week earlier than scheduled.”

“It’s perfectly fine, don’t worry.” He reassured, waving his hand. “Anyway, let me introduce some of my people here, whom I handpicked to personally assist you.” After that being said, he stepped aside before three young individuals, who were waiting behind the Chief of The Board since the VIPs have arrived, finally stepped forward to formally introduce themselves. 

“Oh my god, oh my god…” One of the three kept on muttering as she hesitantly stepped forward.

“Don’t die, Hayoung-ah” The other one whispered, while the oldest of them just snorted at the sight of her best friend on the brink of losing her mind .

After the three acted like no one heard their mini conversation, Chairman Kwon just shook his head in amusement and just proceeded on with the introductions. “This is Namjoo, my niece.” He presented.”She’s a part of the team that’s in charge with the cuisine that we serve so if you have any concerns, you can talk to her.”

Namjoo showed courtesy. “Good Afternoon, I’m Kim Namjoo. Pleased to meet you.”

He was about to introduce the next one, but was a bit hesitant because of the status of his employee who is currently trembling and close to tears. “Hayoung-ah, are you okay?”

“I’m sorry about Hayoung.” Namjoo apologized in behalf. “This is actually our surprise for her because she is a big fan of Ms. Son. We didn’t tell her anything about this up until she finally saw you.” She reasoned.

“No, no. It’s okay.” Naeun, who find the whole scenario cute and amusing, stepped forward with a smile to personally greet her fan. “Hello, Hayoung. Nice to meet you.” She reached out her hand for a handshake. Naeun meant it when she said that it was nice meeting the younger fan, because she knew that fangirls are rare for someone like her. It felt really good to be liked by someone of the same , because it seemed like a validation of some sort. 

Hayoung’s eyes widened, twinkling with tears and admiration for the young celebrity. She gladly took Naeun’s hand and shook it a bit excessively out of excitement. “H-hi! I-I’m Oh Ha-Hayoung!” the youngest one stuttered. “T-this is n-not a dream, r-right? You- you’re r-really God-godess Son, right?”

“Yes it’s me, Hayoung-ah.” Naeun sweetly called her name and gently patted the back of Hayoung’s palm before letting it go.

Namjoo’s uncle then went on with the introduction. “Hayoung is a talented technician who also works for the housekeeping department. I’m sure she’d be of great service.”

Hayoung proudly nodded in agreement.

“And this young lady,” Chairman Kwon then pulled the last person to be introduced closer by his side, naturally putting his arm on her shoulders. “...is my only daughter, Soo-ah. She handles almost everything here so you can call and ask her about any concern, especially if the other two are away.”

“My pleasure to meet you, Ms. Son, Ms. Yoon. I’m Kwon Soo-ah. Please do not hesitate to call us if needed. We four will do our best to make your stay worthwhile.”

Naeun and Bomi looked around, but aside from the Chairman, there are only three of them present. “Four?” Both of them asked. Who could be the other one? 

“Actually, I have one last person to introduce to you.” Soo-ah’s father cleared up. “But she’s currently sick, so she can’t come today. I will formally introduce you to her when she gets better, but for now, I’ll at least tell you her name. She’s Kang Yeondoo.”

Soo-ah then glanced at her watch. “Oh dad, didn’t you say you have a meeting later this 7pm? It’s already quarter to five, you might get late.” She reminded.

“Oh right!” Her father exclaimed. “Ms. Son, Ms. Yoon, I would love to have dinner with you but I need to go now. I’m sorry if I have to leave you like this.”

“It’s okay, Chairman. There’s always a next time.” They responded.

“Thank you. Don’t worry, you’ll be in my daughter’s good hands.” The Chairman looked at his daughter with loving eyes and a proud grin.

And with that, Chairman Kwon excused himself from the group and headed straight towards the car and his bodyguards that were already waiting for him outside. He gave one last turn and waved goodbye before finally getting on his vehicle, and everyone in the lobby immediately bowed in respect. The discussion resumed after the car drove away.

“Okay, so…” Chairman Kwon’s daughter, who is now in charge, took over. “Hayoung-ah, you can now bring our guests’ luggages upstairs.” In which Hayoung obeyed without hesitation, calling her assistants as she made her way to get the luggage cart.

Soo-ah then continued. “Namjoo-ya, I’ll leave you with Ms. Yoon to discuss about their food preferences, okay? I’ll accompany Ms. Son to her room.” 

Her cousin flashed an okay sign before leading the celebrity’s manager. “This way please, Ms. Yoon.”

 

“Ms. Kim?” The older one called her attention, starting a casual conversation as both of them strode across the carpeted hallway bounded with wooden-framed glass windows that not only gave an illusion of openness but also accentuated the resort’s natural landscapes. It was something that personally enjoyed looking at, as the wooden features within the hotel greatly complemented the greens that surrounded the whole building. This was one of the deciding factors when she was pondering where to stay, since Naeun was also a nature person too.

Namjoo, Ms. Yoon. You don’t need to be formal towards me.”

“Well then Namjoo, same goes for you.” Bomi retaliated. “Bomi will do. It’s not like it’s our first time meeting each other anyway.” 

“I can’t do that Ms.-”

“I insist.” The older one didn’t give up. “Besides, I know you got closer to Chorong already. She’s very fond of you, even saying that she found a sister in you.” A glint can be seen in Bomi’s eyes as she started talking about her girlfriend. 

“Did she really say that?” Namjoo’s eyes twinkled; touched by what the latter informed her. “That’s...really nice to hear.” 

“Yes, she did.” Bomi grinned. “Would’ve been the same with me, if only I wasn’t really busy doing other things…but anyway, she would be really stoked if she finds out that we’re already friends as well.”

“Hmm...okay then. But!” Namjoo finally agreed after some pondering, but with one condition. “I’m still an employee here and you’re our guest, so only when it’s just us. Deal?” 

“Okay, deal. It’s nice to see you again, Namjoo.” Bomi accepted the offer and reached out to shake Namjoo’s hand.

“Same here, Bomi. Anyway, speaking of Chorong...” 

“Ah…” Bomi’s expression dimmed a bit. The smile never left her face, but her eyes weren’t able to hide the longing that she was feeling.

Namjoo then had a worried look on her face. “Is everything alright?”

“I just...miss her.” She said, her voice soft and defeated. “Chorong went to visit her mom in the States, and to have a vacation as well.” Bomi explained. 

Knowing that she wouldn't be able to meet Bomi for a month, Chorong took the opportunity to visit her parents that were working in the States. She left just two days ago, and Bomi already greatly misses her dear girlfriend. It's a good thing that video calls and kakaotalk chats exists, but it will never be enough to satisfy the yearning that she feels for the older one. 

“So that’s why...I thought she’ll be with you today too. Next time then?” The taller one sounded hopeful and placed a hand on Bomi’s shoulder to comfort her. 

“For sure, Namjoo. I’ll bring her again next time. I promise.” 

---

“I’m here to discuss the things that you need to do, or continuously do, while I’m in New York. This won’t take long, so listen carefully.” 

With his commanding voice, Ilhoon started the small, yet urgent meeting. Including Hani and Junghwa, only six of them were invited inside Ilhoon’s hidden conference room, where only those people who faithfully swore their loyalty to him are allowed to enter. Unless instructed, these same people also knew the terrifying consequences if anything discussed within the four corners of the said room got leaked.

“Ms. Yoo, you will be my acting CEO from the time I leave up until I return. You’ve been with me for almost 6 years already, so I believe you already know what to do.” He then handed a folder full of important files and tasks to be done, before directing his attention to the two gentlemen seated beside Ms. Yoo. “Mr. Lee and Mr. Park, you will assist and protect Ms. Yoo in everything. Is that clear?”

“Yes, President.” the two unanimously answered. 

Ilhoon turned his head to the right, and his eyes made contact with Hani’s. “As for you Ms. Ahn, always ready our men because these three may need your service anytime. Also, always bring Junghwa with you. Use her in anyway that you want.”

“Noted, sir.” Hani wore a confident smile as she replied.

“Junghwa, you only have one job, and that is to obey Hani’s orders. Okay?” The President eyed the woman that was obediently seated behind Hani. 

“Consider it done, President.” 

“Now, for Mr. Hwang…” Picking up a brown envelope, Ilhoon went down the podium and personally approached the famous paparazzi, who also stood up in respect. “Here’s the list of the people you’ll need to keep an eye on. If you manage to collect anything, report it to me through email, asap. Also, if any of these people needed your assistance, please do so.”

“Yes, Mr. Jung. I’ll do my best.” Mr. Hwang then took the envelope.

“Ms. Yoo’s appointment as the acting CEO will be done in two days, during the upcoming staff meeting.” Ilhoon stood in front once again. “Also, let me just remind you that I still take the shots here, so if there’s any problem while I’m away, please contact and consult me about it first, then I’ll tell you what to do. Understand?”

Everyone in the room chorused a firm yes.

With everything finally settled, Ilhoon finally dismissed the meeting. The executives formally said their goodbyes to the President, while Hani remain seated as per Ilhoon's order. Junghwa was supposed to leave as well, but was asked to stay by her boss.

“Is this about Naeun?” Hani initiated after it was sure that they’re the only ones left.

"Heh." Ilhoon was amused. “Yes, and someone else.” He added. 

“Who?” She answered back with a question.

“We’ll get into that later.” He brushed it off for awhile. “Let’s start with Naeun first. Keep an eye on her, but only do it once a week. I don’t care about whatever method you’re planning to use, as long as she doesn’t get hurt and she doesn’t find out.”

“That’s a challenge, but consider it done. Right, Junghwa?” She looked at her now loyal right hand, who replied to her with a simple nod.

“Good. I want a weekly report. It doesn’t matter if the contents are repetitive because what matters to me is that I know what she’s up to. Now, for that person...”

Ilhoon paused. His body tensed as the memory of what he saw in Naeun’s room lit up the fire in him and once again boiled the sea of anger that was kept tranquil for quite sometime. Hoping just leads to disappointment, and it sure did. Ilhoon regretted considering the twinkle of hope that he saw; the hope that maybe, he can really start over again with Naeun, because it only took minutes before disappointment slapped him back to reality:

Naeun will never be truly his.

“Continue searching for Jung Eunji.”

----

AN: Well that was fast lol

I mean, me updating haha but this isn’t proofread (no one available to do so sobs) so forgive me if you see any ugly stuff orz

I know it seems like I’m kinda dragging or something but (I just can’t skip out details lol) idk I just like laying it out properly so everything will be clearer? Lmao

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who welcomed me back ^^ It’s nice to know that some are still waiting for my update ^^ 

Please leave a comment! I would really like to know what you think about the chapter, or how I write/constructive criticisms, or what you think will happen, or what you wish to see more. :D

Also, I am not confident about my grammar and sentence structure so if there’s anyone who can you know be there to check my works before I post…;u;