II. Burden

Umbrella

CHAPTER 2: BURDEN

Eunji wasn’t able to respond. Instead, she found herself lost in the latter’s eyes, admiring its beauty even though it was also showing clear sadness. Unconsciously, she gave a deep sigh as she continued to get mesmerized by its charm.

Naeun on the other hand, started to get awkward as she noticed some people looking and talking about them. The fear of being recognized starts to sink in once again so she lowered the umbrella until it was enough to cover their faces.

“Can you come with me?” She reiterated, trying to bring the latter back on earth.

“Huh?” Eunji blinked for a few times after waking up from her daydream.

The latter cannot wait anymore so she grabbed Eunji’s wrist and started dragging her. She tugged her arm for a few times, signaling the shorter girl to keep up with her pace so that they can avoid anyone to follow them. When she noticed that Eunji already matched her speed, she pulled out a spare face mask and handed it to her.

“Wear it if you want your life to remain at peace.” Naeun threatened, but trying to sound concerned at the same time. She then pulled the older one closer as she shifted the umbrella’s position, blocking the other people’s vision of their faces.

Even though she really doesn’t have any idea who the person pulling her is, Eunji just felt that she needed to follow the taller girl’s instructions as she saw how the latter did her best to hide their faces using the umbrella. She looked down as she actually cannot see where they were headed and just exactly followed the stranger’s trail.

After a few minutes, Eunji noticed that the people got lesser and lesser as they went on their way. She knew they were already heading towards a very secluded area, so she thought it was okay to remove the mask.

“Put it back, put it back.” Naeun ordered as she saw her taking off the mask. “We’re almost there, don’t worry.” She added as she pulled the latter closer again.

Normally, Eunji would have already pushed the stranger and ran away but not this time. She thought maybe it was because of her sickness and that she doesn’t have any strength at the moment, but deep inside, she just really didn’t feel threatened at all. Also, Eunji felt that the girl was scared because somehow, she was able to feel the younger girl’s heartbeat.

And it was really fast.

Naeun then stopped as they reached in front of the van, which was inside a very secluded parking area. She then let go of Eunji, who was assisted by her manager from then on.

“Please, wait inside.” Bomi said as she ushered Eunji inside the van. “I’m Yoon Bomi, and I’m sorry about this. I know you’re surprised but please do not be alarmed. She just wants to talk to you personally.” She smiled.

Eunji just smiled awkwardly and bowed before the latter went out of the van once again. She then looked around, examining the amazing interior of the vehicle. It was really spacious inside that she thought one whole volleyball team could fit, and there were also various clothes hanging at the back part. There was a counter on her right that can be transformed into a mini table if you flip it, while on her left was a control panel in which you can adjust the settings of the van, including the lighting and the temperature.

She thought it was the most amazing thing she had ever seen, until the door of the van slid open.

Naeun, who wore some shady attire and accessories a while ago, is now wearing a casual outfit although it cannot be denied that she really has a thing for the color black. Eunji thought her hair was perfect, unlike the last time when she saw her drenched and a while ago when it was hidden inside the cap.

But the most important thing Eunji at the moment is that finally, she saw what’s behind the mask. She swallowed the lump on , trying to act normal as her eyes followed the beauty that sat on the other side of the table.

“Hello.” Naeun bowed while holding the blue umbrella.

“O-oh.” Eunji mentally slapped herself. “Hello.” She bowed lower.

The two of them smiled awkwardly, waiting for each other to speak first. Eunji took a few glances at the latter, which was just looking down the whole time. When Naeun caught her stare, she immediately broke the eye contact and just looked down on the table.

The two stayed quiet for a while when Bomi suddenly went inside with a box of cake and served it to them with tea, breaking the ice for the two of them.

“Hello, you must be Jung Eunji.” She bowed as she offered a handshake which Eunji accepted. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Nice to me— How did you know my name? “

Seeing the younger girl’s hands fidgeting as she held on the umbrella, Bomi realized that the two has yet to start conversing with each other. She looked at Naeun, trying to give her the strength she needed to overcome her shyness and initiate the discussion. Besides, she was the one who dragged Eunji all the way here so she probably needs to explain everything to this person.

“She will continue from here.” Bomi just smiled and bowed to the two before going out of the van.

“Hello, I’m Jung Eunji.” The chestnut colored hair girl initiated, realizing how nervous and shy the girl in front of her was. She coughed for a bit and sniffed. “I guess…you needed to talk to me?”

“Ah…yes…” Naeun stuttered as she finally put the umbrella on the table. “Thank you for lending me this yesterday.”

“No problem.” Eunji tried to smile at her, fighting the dizziness that suddenly came back without any warning. She suppressed her cough and drank the tea that was served to her, hoping that it would make her carry on until the end. “I hope you don’t mind me asking but, what’s your name again? I know I’ve seen you somewhere.”

Naeun was taken aback with the older girl’s question. Usually when she goes out in public, people would call her name as if they’ve known her for a long time already. People would normally try to get closer to her even if she isn’t in the mood to interact with others. There were also some who forgets her name, but most of the time those people would act like they know, confidently calling her with wrong names. And if she says it’s wrong, they would pretend that they’re only playing and joking with her.

But for the first time, someone treated her like a normal being. Finally, someone saw her as just Son Naeun, and not the Naeun they usually see in the television or movies. Another thing is that someone finally showed honesty towards her, unlike most of the people.

“Did I offend you?” Eunji asked as she saw Naeun staring at her with a face full of curiosity. “I really don’t watch television that much…”

“No, it’s okay. It’s fine.” The jet-black haired girl sincerely smiled. “I’m Son Naeun.”

By this time, Eunji can just respond with a forced smile. Everything around her is starting to get blurry once again, just like how it was back in the classroom. She doesn’t even know if she feels cold because of the air conditioner, or just because she’s starting to feel worse.

“Ah, yes. Miss Son.” She smiled for the last time and reached for her umbrella. “Thank you…for the treat. Yeah…I need to get going now.” Eunji tried to excuse herself as her peripheral vision starts to darken, thinking that she needed to get out of there before she messes everything up.

The two of them bowed at each other before Eunji exited the vehicle. She leaned on the van after it closed and breathed deeply, forgetting that there was someone outside.

“Are you okay, Miss Jung Eunji?”

“O-oh.” She shot her eyes open, surprised at the latter’s presence. “Yes, I’m okay.” She tried to light up her face before covering it with an umbrella and walked away.

Eunji walked as fast as she could until she was finally out of sight. She then looked around; trying to remember the path she took with Naeun a few moments ago while she still has the remaining strength to roam under the rain.

On the other hand, Bomi entered the van with an obvious, worried expression after she saw Eunji’s almost pale face.

“Do you think it was okay to send her off like that?” She asked Naeun, who was clueless about what Bomi was talking about.

“What do you mean?” Naeun looked at her as she finished the cake on her plate.

“Don’t tell me that you didn’t notice? Wow.” Bomi asked; amazed by how naïve her friend is. “She looked like she was about to pass out anytime soon, you know. And it’s still raining outside.”

“Can we follow her?” She suggested, realizing that it was probably her fault for Eunji’s condition. If she weren’t so stubborn yesterday, she could have saved the girl from being sick.

“Your career and Eunji’s private life will be at stake if we do that. You’re still on a hot seat, remember?” The older girl explained, trying to remind Naeun that she just got out of a scandal and it wouldn’t be nice she gets on the articles again.

“I’m always on the articles…there’s nothing new about that.” Naeun tried to reason out as she unconsciously got more worried about Eunji.

“Well, how about Eunji? Do you think she’s used to it? Do you think she’ll be happy to see those reporters flocking around her house if we follow what you want right now?”

“But…”

“Okay, look. I’ll go and follow her.” Bomi suggested as she took trench coat with her. “While you go back to our studio, is that okay?”

“Please, update me soon.” Naeun gave a relieved smile before Bomi went out to look for Eunji.

---

Why…why am I here again…Eunji thought as she limped her way around the area, trying to look for a familiar landmark where she can start her way back home. She hasn’t been in this part of Seoul, so she doesn’t have any idea about the place. She also didn’t expect herself to be this sick, thinking that she never missed any of her vitamins.

Her body feels heavy already, and the rain isn’t helping at all. Every step for her felt like a year. She breathed heavily, almost panting even though she didn’t run at all. She held on the lamp post on the sidewalk, trying to support herself up.

She scanned around the area to see if there’s any available store or café in which she can rest, but much to her dismay, all of it are filled with other people who were also waiting for the rain to stop. She sighed as she decided to just continue on her way.

Eunji have always hated crowded places. She can’t exactly remember what caused that but all she knows is that until now, she’d prefer to stay away from them. She cannot call it a fear since she is not scared of getting surrounded. She just hates the feeling of other people coming in contact with her body. It only gets fine for her if she has someone with her, or if she personally knows the group of people around her.

She can barely walk anymore, as she is starting to lose grip of her consciousness. The umbrella was slipping from her hand, and some of her books fell down on the floor again. She tried to pick them up, only to fall down on her knees as her fever rose up.

Her vision out and she was about to completely collapse, when an arm caught her body up.

-----

A/N: Thank you for reading, commenting, subscribing and liking the first chapter. Always know that I read the comments and I appreciate each and every one of it. I hope you enjoyed this chapter as well. ^^