XIX. Deal

Umbrella

CHAPTER 19: DEAL

It has been half an hour since she was waiting in the dimly lit private room of a restaurant that was written in the note she received a week ago.

Mobile games are her best friend whenever she’s bored, but it’s different this time. It has been quite some time already and right now, she should’ve been playing her current addiction but she can’t. With two well-built men in black suits standing right by the door, how can she not feel nervous and stiff? Based on the bulk at the side of their pants, she just knew that the two were armed as well and it made her feel like any wrong movement, she won’t be able to see the sun rise for her on the next day. The ambience is just so uncomfortable on a different level.

But the real question here is why is she meeting someone she’s never met? A lot of what ifs clouded her mind and just made it hard for her to come up with an acceptable answer. “Gut feeling…? What bull…” Her mind mentally screamed at what her heart was telling. She didn’t want that kind of answer, but that’s the only thing she could get.

The sound of the door clicking open brought her back to reality. went agape when the person she was waiting for finally went in the suffocating room.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t intend to be late.” He approached the petrified woman with a smile and extended his hand for a handshake. “I’m—“

“I…I know you…” Those­­ brittle words were the only ones that escaped from her now pale lips. How can you not be scared out of your life when such, powerful entity is standing in front of you?

The smile turned into a smirk as he withdrew his hand and sat on the chair on the opposite side of the table. “I figured. Have you eaten? I think it’s best to discuss this matter while we’re getting our stomachs full, hmm?” He then gestured one of his men to call for the waiter so that he could take their orders.

“It’s nice to see you again, sir.” The waiter greeted as he pulled out a notepad and pen from the pocket of his apron.

“I’ll have the usual.” He then looked at his guest. “What do you want to eat?”

“I’m not…really—“

“I invited you here, so you’re my guest. You have nothing to worry about.” He interjected before turning back to the waiter. “Please give my guest your best seller here. That’s all.”

“W-what do you want from me?” Albeit still trembling, she gathered up her courage and asked after the waiter left the room.

“Are you sure you don’t want to wait for the food?”

“How did you know me? We’ve never met before. Did I do something wrong? I’m sure I haven’t done anything against you…” Completely ignoring the question thrown at her, she continued to bombard the latter with questions. Why would someone high and mighty meet someone like her? Their worlds are too far apart for them to come face to face with each other. She just can’t find any connection between a CEO and a regular nursing student.

The chilling smirk appeared once again as he loosened his necktie and ed the sleeve of his black, tuxedo jacket. “I’m sure you’re surprised since I didn’t introduce myself in the letter, but I’m the one who's actually more surprised because you showed up. Tell me, what made you accept the invitation?” With his crossed arms resting on the table for support, he leaned closer and stared right through her eyes.

It was the same question that she’s been asking herself since a while ago, and until now she hasn’t got an answer. “I…I don’t know.” She said, almost sounding like a whisper as she kept her gaze away from the latter. “J-Just get straight to the point! Please…”

“Impatient, are we?” He chuckled. “Well, you see…I’m here to offer you a deal.”

“A deal…?” She furrowed her eyebrows. “What kind of deal are you talking about?”

“It’s simple, actually.” He took a sip of coffee before continuing. “I’m hiring you.”

“I’m sorry, but I’m just a college student—“

“I’ll let you use me anytime that you want. You want a better life and a diploma? I can give those to you without any trouble. Fame, money, connections…name it, and it’ll be granted.  Basically, it’s just like you using what I have freely like it’s your own. You can have all those privileges, as long as you accept my offer and let me use you too.”

She blinked her eyes for a few seconds, overwhelmed with the advantages that the latter was willing to offer just for her to work for him. Not everyone can get this kind of opportunity, and for sure, hopeless people would immediately accept this without any hesitation. It’s that type of deal that will make you not question anymore and just agree with it.

But she isn’t that desperate enough to accept it. They may not be rich, but her family can survive living every day. Her parents have stable work and enough income, his younger brother is serving the military well, and she’s doing well in her chosen course. Besides, there’s still this one question that was echoing in her mind.

“Why me, though? I’m sure that there are other people who can do the job for you. Whatever that job is…” She reasoned out.

“I just know that we’ll be able to understand and relate with each other very well. Our…interests are really close with each other, you know. And, I consider this as the grandest offer that I’ve ever made. Only shows how much I want you on my team, right? Just simply think of it as us helping each other. Mutualism, just like how biologists would describe this kind of relationship that I am very willing to give to you.”

“I’m sorry, but I still don’t get it. You’re not even making it clear what kind of job you’re talking about. I don’t think I’m the right person for this, so if you will excuse me…“

“Miss Ahn…or should I call you…Hani?”

She was about to leave, but was quickly frozen on the spot upon hearing the latter call her name. It seemed like she was jolted with electricity as she felt goosebumps all over her body. His smile looked warm, but his voice definitely sounded as cold as the pits of the abyss.

“What I’m telling you is…I’m probably the only one who can help you get whatever and whoever you want.”

She noticed that he stressed on some certain words, trying to imply something. “Whoever…? What do you mean?”

Just then, he pulled out an envelope from his inner pocket and placed it in front of the dazed woman. “You’ll know what I mean. Open it.”

Upon seeing the first picture inside, Hani gritted her teeth as she tried to prevent her tears from spilling, not noticing that she was also gripping on the pictures too tightly, almost crumpling it. As she hesitantly flipped through the photos, one after another, she can feel like her heart was being pierced and wounded mercilessly. Hani inhaled, and then exhaled slowly, hoping that her emotions subside even before it can make her choose an emotionally blinded decision.

“Having second thoughts?” The young man showed an evil grin, knowing that he was successful in making Hani waver even just for a second. “Well, I’m not asking you to give me an answer right away. I’m just asking you to consider and thoroughly think about it. I’m a patient man, don’t worry.”

“These?” She let out a short, bitter laugh and threw the photos back at him. “You know nothing, Jung Ilhoon. Bomi doesn’t even like her that way.”

“Ah really?” He scoffed at her statement. Ilhoon pitied the latter who was obviously trying to deny the unwanted reality by drowning herself in a delusion. He can clearly see the pain in her moist eyes, and it just made him rejoice deep inside. It was the perfect kind of pain that he needed to fuel so he can control and manipulate the broken girl.

“Ms. Ahn Heeyeon.”

Hani stopped on her tracks, and she hated herself for doing so. There’s no use in hearing what he has to say if she has decided not to accept his offer and yet, it still made her curious. To think that it’s just their first meeting, Jung Ilhoon already has control over her and she became a puppet in an instant. Was it because he already found out about her weakness? The chills came back upon realizing that this is probably just the façade of what he can really do, and Hani was sure that she would rather not see the full extent of it. With that, she convinced herself that this would also be the last time that he would meet this guy. She didn’t face him nor utter a word.

When the silence befell, Ilhoon continued speaking. “I’m serious about this. Please take your time to think about it and give me a call when you finally made up your mind.”

Hani heaved a sigh before she went on her way out of the room and immediately afterwards, one of the men went inside and approached his boss, who was already preparing to leave as well. “Sir, are we not going to chase after her?”

“No need for that.” Ilhoon nonchalantly replied as he fixed his necktie. “She’ll come back to us.”

“Okay, sir. Just let us know if we need to track her again.”

“You will never have to do that. Besides…” He then squatted to pick up one of the crumpled photos that flew away when Hani threw it back at him.  A sly smile appeared on his face as he stared at the picture that was taken back during Naeun’s little trip to Busan just a few months ago.

“It’s an offer that she can’t refuse.”

---

Naeun walked out of the elevator and as she reached the corner of the corridor leading to her unit, she immediately halted when she saw a familiar figure standing in front of her door. It was too late to go back since he already saw her, so she just chose to muster up her courage and pretend like he didn’t exist.

“Hey darling, did you miss me?” He showed his cocky smile and greeted, only to be met with nothing from the latter, not even a glance to acknowledge his presence. This didn’t faze him, though, and only fueled his desire for Naeun. “You really have a unique way in treating your boyfriend.”

“Your fantasies are on a different level, really.” She let out a short and insulting laugh. “There’s this thing called moving on, you know.”

On the other hand, Ilhoon was already losing his cool. Moving on? How could he move on from all the hurt that Naeun caused? It would be really easy if everything was mutually agreed upon in the first place. She was the one who started everything, and was also the one who ended it. Ilhoon just can’t help but be mad because despite of being viewed as one of the most influential people in his country, he wasn’t able to do anything about it. He was manipulated, which turned him into who he is right now. A complete opposite of what he originally was. Did she really think that he wanted all of these?

“Since when did my baby become brave? Does this mean that your Eunji already knows about your juicy secret?” He seethed, holding in his anger by trying to hold up his arrogant façade.

Fear knocked in back to her system upon hearing Eunji’s name. It took her a few seconds before she could generate a response. “S-she doesn’t have anything to do with this, so leave her alone.” Naeun stuttered.

“Oh, really…?” Ilhoon leaned closer and locked the door when Naeun tried to enter the house. “Hot air balloon…? Wow, I didn’t know you could be this grandiose for a friend since I never saw you do something the same for Bomi’s birthday.”

“W-what…What are you trying –“

“You know that I know everything, Naeun-ah. And this is why I can’t let her off the hook now.” He took one more step closer, trapping the latter in between the wooden board and his body.

“I know my mistakes, and believe it or not, I’m truly sorry –“

“You’re…sorry?” Ilhoon finally snapped upon hearing that word escape from Naeun’s lips. He vented his anger on the door and slammed his fists on it, making her tremble in fear. “That’s ing bull! You’re sorry? All these years, Naeun-ah…did you even try to contact and apologize to me? For all the pain you’ve caused and for all the humility I got?! No, you didn’t! In fact, you acted like I never existed at all!” His voice echoed throughout the quiet hallways of the floor as he cried out his frustrations.

For a few seconds, no one uttered a single word. He pulled away and breathed slowly as he tried to regain his composure, while Naeun just stood frozen on her spot with eyes wide open because of Ilhoon’s sudden explosion.

His mood did a 180 degree turn upon noticing Naeun’s condition. The flame on his eyes died and was replaced with guilt and concern. “I…I’m sorry.” He then reached for her pale cheek to caress it and by reflex, Naeun tried to dodge it but she failed. It scared her more because she didn’t feel any warmth from his touch.

“Naeun-ah…” He started off endearingly. “If you’re really sorry, then come back to me and let’s start anew. Let’s forget about what happened in the past, and I’ll forget about everything that you did…just be mine again, please?” Ilhoon begged.

Naeun averted from his gaze and turned her cheek away as a response. “I’m really sorry.”

As his arm dropped by his side, a corner of his lips went up; once again revealing the evil smirk from a while ago. “A simple request compared to everything that I did for you before…and yet you can’t grant it for me. Well then…” Ilhoon then started walking away from the traumatized woman, who was already sitting down on the cold, tiled floor.

He was headed towards the elevator, and right before he could take a turn at the corner of the corridor, someone appeared in front of him. It was the very person that he wanted to get rid of the most. Even so, he chose to be polite and attempted to greet the latter, but failed when the person quickly ran past by him and went towards Naeun.

“It’s okay now, Naeunnie…I’m here.”

Upon hearing those words, Ilhoon scoffed with a short and resentful laugh before he started walking again.

“See you in hell, Son Naeun.”

-----

A/N: So, let's go back to reality, shall we? ^^

Anyway, I just realized how small this font is so I'm going to tweak every chap so it can be...uhh...reader friendly? x) So please don't mind if you receive any notifications coming from me aside from this chapter. ^^

As always, thank you for patiently waiting, reading, subscribing (hello to my new subs! I hope I won't disappoint you ^^), commenting, and liking this story. I love you all! ^^