Waning Gibbous

Lover's Moon

 

It’s been a month since I proposed to her. And I’m still finding the courage to tell my grandparents about it then my parents later. I don’t how they will react.

 

I cornered my grandfather one time, as we were touring the vineyard.

 

“Grandpa? Do you think it’s possible to fall in love with someone at first sight” I asked.

 

“Sure, that’s how I fell for your grandma. It was harvest time and there was a party that night. The moon was full and bright and then I saw her making her way through the crowd. I knew right away she was the one.” He stopped in the middle of his recollection then looked over at me. ”Why are you asking anyway?”

 

“Would it surprise you if I say I am in a similar situation?” I asked tentatively.

 

“Of course not! This is good news! All Kwons fall in love hard and once only. Tell me who is the lucky girl?” grandpa asked excitedly.

 

Sandara Park” I said.

 

“Park you say?” I saw my grandfather’s face fell.

 

“Yes.”  A horrible knot was forming in my stomach.

 

“How did you meet her?” he asked.

 

“By the lake that night of my first day, and almost every night since then” I said.

 

“Oh I see”  was all my grandpa could say.

 

“She’s beautiful and nice and you’ll like her if you get to know her” I said defensively.

 

 “You can’t Ji. I’d be happy if it were any other girl, but not her. She is indeed beautiful as I’ve already seen her. I know her family. We did business with her family before. And the things I know are not good. I don’t know if you know the truth”   

 

“Nothing will change my mind about her. I love her and I’ve asked her to marry me” I said.

 

“I forbid it.” Grandpa said.

 

“You seem to forget something grandpa. Weren’t you the one who told me that Kwons fall hard and once only?” I reasoned.

 

“This is utter madness. You’d only end up hurting each other!” grandpa said in frustration.

 

“Maybe. But I trust that the same way you and grandma were blessed by the moon that Sandara and I will be blessed too” I said. I know I’m bordering on the crazy relying on the old folktale my grandpa once told me. But I had to convince him and maybe myself that things will workout.

 

Grandpa looked at me shaking his head. Was it resignation or disappointment?

 

“Give it some time Ji. Think of this carefully. When you’re really sure, then I’ll help you talk to your parents and your grandma.”

 

I nodded my head. It was all that I could ask from grandpa.

 

 

 

 

 

Sandara and I met again by the lake at night. And I decided to tell her that I’ve already talked to my grandpa.

 

“He told me to think about it” I said.

 

“And what do you think?” she said.

 

“That I don’t have to think about it”

 

 

She was quiet with her head looking down and I could feel that something was troubling her.

 

“Why what’s wrong tell me?” I said.

 

“Do you remember a month ago when we…?” she began, a blush forming on her cheeks as she kept her words hanging.

 

Of course how could I forget? It was my first and hers. I was tempted to kiss her looking so cute blushing.

 

“Well, in the natural progression of things, such an act usually leads to a certain outcome…”

 

I was hanging on to each word she said apparently lost. She looked up at me her eyes wide and fearful. What could she be afraid of?

 

At the back of my mind, a lecture on education reverberated in my ears. when unprotected leads to 2 things. The first being STDs which I’m very sure was not our case and Oh God! I thought as understanding dawned on me.

 

I looked at her flat tummy then back up her face. I put one hand on her tummy and my other hand cupped her face. I smiled just before I kissed her, trying to erase all her fears away.

 

I wasn’t scared like how I would imagine it before if it happened to me. I felt my heart expanding, filled with love for the girl I am kissing and the life beginning inside her.