Waxing Gibbous

Lover's Moon

 

Lover's moon won't you shine on me
I'm dancing with a memory

 

On our next meeting, I decided to surprise her. I set up a picnic dinner by the lake. I spread a blanket and lit some candles. I even got us some wine and some snacks.

 

“Omo! What is this for?” she asked as she sat beside me.

 

“Tonight’s special. We’re on a date” I said.

 

“Well I didn’t agree” she countered.

 

“Because it’s a surprise?” I answered lamely.

 

“But I don’t like surprises” she said. This time I know she was teasing me.

 

“So we’ll go dancing instead” I said.

 

“But I don’t know how to” she said.

 

“Come here, I’ll teach you.” I said.

 

She stood close to me as I took her hand and placed my other hand on her waist and her other hand was draped over my shoulder.

 

“But there’s no music?” she said.

 

“So I’ll hum and we’ll dance along” I said.

 

We danced to my improvised humming. But really I think it was my heart beating out loud.

 

“This is nice” she said. “Nobody has ever asked me to dance before”

 

“Then I’m honored to be your first dance.”

 

“Actually, nobody ever approached me before.” She said sadly.

 

I held her closer to me and like the really cool guy I am, my feelings for her just slipped from my mouth.

 

“I like you”

 

She was initially surprised by my confession then I saw a brief hint of a smile but then just as quickly, her eyebrows were furrowed and her forehead were in knots.

 

“No you don’t.” She said as she pushed me away from her.

 

“How could you know how I feel? It’s true. I really do like you.” I said.

 

“We were getting along well as friends. We we’re having fun. Please don’t do this, Ji” she said looking away from me.

 

“How can you say that? I can still be your friend even if I like you.” 

 

“You’re not supposed to like me. No one should.” She said almost like a warning.

 

“Stop pushing me away” I said, trying to reason with her.

 

“You don’t even know me. How could you like me?” she said in exasperation.

 

“Because I just do!” I said.

 

“I wish it were that simple” she said with a sigh.

 

“It is. What is there not to like about you? You’re kind and innocent and beautiful. You’re beautiful in the way that the word beautiful was meant for. You make my heart go crazy just by being with you.” I said.

 

“Others don’t see it that way” she said.

 

Maybe it’s the reason why she was always by herself. Because no one wants to get to know her. 

 

“I’m not like them. I’ll get to know you. I’ll meet you everyday so I could learn all about you if you’d let me” I said, letting her feel my sincerity.

 

“What if you don’t like what you find out about me?” she asked with caution.

 

“That’s impossible.You’re perfect”

 

“No one’s perfect” she said.

 

“Then I wouldn’t care” I said.

 

“Please don’t say things you wouldn’t keep” she said.

 

“Trust me” I said and I meant it.

 

“I’m not sure Ji” she said, looking doubtful.

 

“Please just give me a chance to prove myself” I said.

 

“Then will you wait for me? I’ll be gone for a few days.” she said as she started to leave.

 

“Then I’ll wait for you. I’ll always be here waiting” I said.

 

“And Ji?” she called before she entered her side of the woods.

 

“I like you too” she said shyly before disappearing.