Best friends

One shot stories compilation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From a far, one could see a silhouette of young woman sitting under a big tree, enjoying the light breeze that cooling the hot evening in her favourite place within the Seoul National University. Her hair danced slightly, following the rhythm of the breeze, making her smiled in content. She laid her back against the tree’s trunk and closed her eyes, trying to relax after a full day of classes. However, the relaxation that she waited never comes. Instead, she felt someone crept in slowly towards her, trying not to form any noise that could give away one’s presence. She smirked a little, knowing full well who the devil in disguise was. She sat still, pretending to sleep while trying to control her expression. When she felt her friend was in front of her, she opened her eyes big suddenly and...

“BOOO...!”She yelled loudly.

“Warghhh!!!” her friend fell on his in shocked. She laughed loudly while clutching her stomach seeing her friend reaction. ‘Ah, I should have snapped a picture. Could use that against him in the future’, she thought while still laughing.

“Yah, Song Jihyo! Kemanhaera (Stop)...” her friend said while glaring at her. She giggled in silent, trying to stop her laughter as she eyed her friend reaction.

“YAH!” he yelled again. “Okay, okay. Geez, chill man. Your fault in the first place” said Jihyo to her friend.

“What?! You’re the one who surprised me! It’s not my fault okay?!” he tried to defence himself. Jihyo smirk while glaring at him and raising her brows. He shivered when she posed that look to him. ‘Haish, this girl. I can never win her’ he groaned inwardly.

“Alright, my fault. Satisfied, Song Jihyo-shi?” he sighed in defeat. Jihyo grinned, satisfied with her countless win. She slung her arm around his shoulder and dragged him towards the university’s entrance gate.

“Very. Come on. We’re late already. I didn’t want they nag at us for being late again. Didn’t we, Jung Yonghwa-shi?”.

“Yah, yah, yah. Jihyo-yah, stop dragging me!”.

“But you should look at your expression just now. It was hilarious. Hahahaha... I should snap a picture”.

“Yah, stop bringing that up”.

They continued bickering while making their way towards their hang out destination. People that still present around the duo’s scene could only shake their head. They already knew the duo’s every day antics.  After all, it’s the famous drama club’s prima donna, Song Jihyo, and her bestfriend, Jung Yonghwa, the lead vocalist of the university’s band.

Song Jihyo, albeit pretty and can be very feminine when she wanted to especially when she was into the character that she tried to portray, was outspoken, loud, a bit tomboyish, and hot-tempered. She could also play some sports very well. She preferred simple style and always spotted wearing t-shirt, jeans and her favourite snickers rather than a girly dress nor miniskirts that a lady her age would wear. She would also preferred caps as her head accessories and she had many of them as her collection. She would only prefer a layer of compact powder and a bit of lip-gloss as her makeup though she sometimes was spotted bare-faced when she was in a rush. She would just spray a bit of face mist onto her skin during times like that. Well, maybe often as she would always late to the class. When asked why, she would say “I prefer sleeping than going to class”. Sighed. A unique lady we got here right? What about her best friend?

Her best friend, Jung Yonghwa, was the epitome of man the girls on campus would like to have as their boyfriend. He was very stylish and always cautious of his appearances. That would explain the existence of various types of men’s fashion magazines stacked up in his bedroom. All sorts of hairspray, body mists and men’s skincare could also be spotted on his big dressing table. He was reserved to new people that he met, polite, love to tease his friend especially his best friend, and keeping his manner intact. However, he was also a well-known playboy and people would always spot him with different girls every week. His best friend would always nag at him about that but he would just shrug it away. “Girls are to be appreciated by a man like me instead of keeping them away” he would say that to Jihyo and the said female would rolled her eyes for the nth time. What an excuse right?       

Till this day, other students still questioned how can two people with opposite personalities could click and enjoy each other’s presence? Oh well, they said opposite attracts, right?

~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&

“Well, well. Look who we got here. The famous duo” the both of them flinched when they heard the familiar voice. They turned to a side and smiled sheepishly towards their friend. They waved awkwardly while kept nudging each other.

“Heh, heh. H..hi. Is everyone here?” asked Jihyo, nervously.

“Yup, all are here except you two. Both of you, LATE, AGAIN!” they flinched. Jihyo sighed and stepped forward. She hugged the furious being.

“Mianhae (sorry) Dongwook-ah. This idiot here (“I heard that!”The yelling of the said idiot could be heard on the background) had made us late, as usual. I don’t know why he kept styling his hair though I can’t see the difference from the style he had this morning (The said idiot pouted when he heard that). I know you’re upset but please forgive us, hmm? It’s your day and I’m here already. Let’s go inside, okay?” whispered Jihyo, although it’s loud enough for Yonghwa to hear that. She broke the hug and put on her puppy eyes towards Lee Dongwook, her childhood friend. Dongwook could never say no to those eyes and sighed. He smiled at her and nodded.

“Alright, I forgive both of you. But next time, come alone so that you will not be late again” he said, while slyly teased Yonghwa. Yonghwa pouted again.

“Yah, I’m your friend too. How could you say that? Dongwook-ah ~ “he whined at both of his friends. They chuckled and proceeded inside of the club, followed by a sulking Yonghwa as his whining was being ignored.   Yonghwa became close with Dongwook after Jihyo introduced the both of them on her birthday three years ago. They clicked right away after that. Why you asked? Oh well. Apparently, the said childhood was also a playboy and they often exchanged ideas on their method to seduce a girl. However, both would be very protective towards Jihyo whenever a man would approach her. This of course leaving Jihyo in distressed as the interested man would back off even before they could ask her out on a date.  

“By the way, happy 26th birthday, Lee Dongwook. I hope you’ll achieve all the success that you want and I also hope your will get whipped by a girl in the near future. This is for you” wished Jihyo while handing her present.

“Hahaha, thank you so much Song Jihyo for the wishes though I hope your second wish will come very late” thanked Dongwook, smiling widely at her present and the wishes. Jihyo just scoffed at his word. ‘Heh, I got the feeling you will meet the woman soon. Just wait Lee Dongwook’ thought Jihyo inwardly.  

“Song Jihyo!!! There you are. Come here you girl” Jihyo smiled seeing their group of friends bundled in one corner. The others were their mutual friends and Dongwook university’s and working’s friends. Dongwook had graduated the previous year and were working in his father’s company while the both of them were still struggling to finish their final year project and hopefully will get to graduate this year.

“Yonghwa oppa ~ !!!! Dongwook oppa ~ !!!!” Before Jihyo could move to the group, she heard a group of shrieking voice calling both of her dearest friends. She could only roll her eyes. ‘Here comes the fangirls and possible dates for these two idiots’ she thought while faced-palm inwardly. Yonghwa and Dongwook immediately change their expression into cool-like expression while smiled dazzlingly. Jihyo was pushed aside by those fangirls making her cursed at them while making her way towards her other friends.

“Saengil Chukahayeo (happy birthday), Dongwook oppa!!! Yonghwa oppa, you look handsome today!!!” both men enjoyed the attention they received and momentarily forgotten about Jihyo. Today was Dongwook’s birthday and they were at their usual club to celebrate the man’s birthday, sponsored by his father and also to celebrate his success in his first project. Jihyo could only sighed and shook her head before smiling slightly at the sight of both her friends.

“Jongkook oppa, Jaesuk oppa, Sukjin oppa! How are you?” she greeted the said men and hugged them tightly. The three of them smiled and hugged Jihyo back tightly, glad to meet her here. The three men were Dongwook’s work acquaintance and they become closer when they meet him during a conference involving their companies in New York last year. Dongwook was surprised to meet fellow Koreans there and enjoyed their company, especially in a foreign land. The three of them hold an important position in each of their own respective company. They surprisingly had common interest and thus, become closer to Dongwook and kept meeting Dongwook on their free time. They became closer to Jihyo and also Yonghwa when Dongwook dragged both of them to meet his new friends.

“We’re fine. I was disappointed when Dongwook didn’t bring you to our previous gathering. I’m glad we got to meet you here” said Jaesuk to her.

“Owww, me too oppa. But I was pretty busy these days since I need to complete my project. But I promise I will join you guys often after I finish the project, okay?” said Jihyo while displaying her aegyo that she rarely showed.

“Aigoo, this girl. How can we say no when you even show us you precious aegyo?” said Jongkook while ruffling her hair. She whined at him for that action and tried to ruffle his hair too. Jaesuk and Sukjin could only smile at the two of them. Both got engaged in their own conversation involving business and stocks while Jihyo dragged Jongkook to the buffet table.  

“Yah, stop eating those fried chicken and pizza. There’s a lot of healthy food also” nagged Jongkook at the woman’s choice of food. Jihyo pouted at the nagging.

“Aish, oppa. I rarely eat these since I need to maintain my weight for the project. Let me relish my craving only for tonight” explained Jihyo while kept taking the said food. Jongkook could only sigh and kept all the nagging inside as he knew how stressful the female in front of him was with her project.

“Hyung, why are you leaving me alone at the dance floor?” Both Jihyo and Jongkook turned to the voice. Jihyo was confused as she didn’t know the owner of the voice. Jongkook noticed her expression and smiled slightly before introduced the young man standing in front of them. Jihyo didn’t notice that both of her best friends’ expression had slightly changed the moment the unknown man called Jongkook. Both had also displayed curious and uncomfortable expression although they were engaging in activities involving the pretty girls around them. They would glance over every now and then to observe the situation. However, one of them started to get anxious with the interaction though he himself didn’t know why he was feeling this way.

“Ah, sorry. I forgot that I bring you here. Let me introduce the lady here. Jaejong-ah, this is Song Jihyo. Jihyo-yah, this is my younger brother, Kim Jaejoong” Jaejoong smiled and bow slightly to the lady in front of him. He offered a handshake to Jihyo. Jihyo accepted his hand and smiled towards Jongkook’s brother.

“Nice to meet you, Jaejoong-shi. I didn’t know Jongkook oppa has a younger brother” explained Jihyo, still smiling. Jaejoong chuckled when he heard that.

“Nice to meet you too, Jihyo-shi. I also didn’t know hyung has a very pretty friend as he was usually quite shy with women” said Jaejong while glancing at Jongkook in a teasing manner. Jongkook smacked Jaejoong head lightly for teasing him.

“Yah, I’m not shy! Jihyo-yah, don’t trust this kid. He always has his way around women too, just like those two monkeys” said Jongkook while pointing his chin towards the said ‘monkeys’. Jihyo laughed loudly at Jongkook’s statement while Jaejong pouted, feeling embarrassed.

“Oppa, you never tell me you had a younger brother! How could you? Luckily, I didn’t make any move towards him” said Jihyo while slapping Jongkook’s arm. But she felt her cheeks redden when realizing her choice of words and could see Jaejoong also started to blush at her words.

“Ouch! Hahaha... you make a move to a man? Ceh, I don’t believe you. Even when I was there to assist you, you couldn’t greet the one guy who you admired. Let alone you yourself to make your own move. You are seriously hopeless, young lady” snorted Jongkook while reminiscing at the memories of the first time he saw Jihyo’s shy side.

“Oppa!!! How could you say that in front of your brother?!” Jihyo angrily slapped Jongkook’s arm hard for a few times and Jongkook was trying to avoid her stone-like slaps. They froze when they heard Jaejong’s calm statements.

“I don’t mind if Jihyo-shi makes a move at me. I’ll be glad to date her”. Jihyo once again feels hot around her face and laughed awkwardly.

“Hahaha, Jaejoong-shi. It’s just a joke. Don’t take it seriously. Hehe... er..”. The three of them stood awkwardly. Jongkook stared at the two youngsters in front of him while smirking knowingly. He also noticed that one young man was throwing a sharp glare towards his brother, distance away. ‘Hmm... This is going to be very interesting’ thought Jongkook while imagining the love triangle soon-to-be-happen.

 

#                                                             #                                                             #                                             #

 

“Yah, eodi ka (where are you going)?”Yonghwa asked the suspicious Jihyo. They were just finished their classes for the day and it’s still early for dinner. Jihyo stopped and turn to her right nervously. She smiled sheepishly.

“Err... I’m going home. I’ve promised my brother to accompany him to the mall” answered Jihyo nervously. ‘Ceh, she’s obviously lying. Hmmm... let’s see where she’s going’ thought Yonghwa.

“Okay then. See you tomorrow Jihyo-yah” Jihyo nodded and waved at him before walking away in a rush. Jung Yonghwa started his mission and followed Jihyo from distance while wearing a cap and sunglasses. He rushed to catch a taxi when he saw his friend entered a car. He kept his eyes on the car and told the driver to keep following that car. He just smile sheepishly when the driver giving him a suspicious look.

Yonghwa looked upwards as he observed the place the car Jihyo was in stopped at.  The driver of the car was a young man who looked familiar to him. He followed them after quickly paid the taxi driver. He suddenly felt irritated when he saw Jihyo laughed albeit shyly to the guy’s story. ‘Why am I feeling like this?’ he thought while clutching his shirt near the heart. He observed the unknown guy. He was a good looking man, wearing a dark denim jeans and blue t-shirt top with a black jacket. His hair was black with a bit of blonde highlight. He wore a sport shoes that he recognized as a limited edition from Nike. ‘Ah, he was there during Dongwook’s birthday’ Yonghwa suddenly remember him. ‘No wonder he looked familiar to me’.

 

#             #             #             #             #             #

“Jaejong-shi, thank you for bringing me out today” said Jihyo, smiling happily at Jaejoong. They were in front of her house after having dinner at the mall. From her observation today, she knew that the guy in front of her was a gentleman and never once did he tried to hold her hand or touched her without her permission. She also realized that many eyes were on them especially girls when they strolling around in the mall, just killing their time before having dinner. They were ogling their eyes at Jaejoong and some even tried to get him talk to them by pretending to bump shoulders with him. ‘Tsk, girls’ she thought while kept calm by talking happily to Jaejoong.

“You’re welcome Jihyo-shi. I hope you’re having fun today” said Jaejoong.

“Of course I am. Though I hope your shoulders would not have any bruise. It seems you’re quite an eye candy, Jaejoong-shi” teased Jihyo. Jaejoong laughed out loud and just shrugged his shoulder in defence.

“Well, what can I say? I am a handsome man after all. Though Jongkook hyung has a better look” Jihyo just pursed her lips at his reply.

“Hahaha... You’re right. I wonder why he doesn’t get married yet” said Jihyo. Jaejoong shrugged his shoulder again, telling her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter