Chapter VI

Stolen Data

 

VI

      He was awkward at work. He tried to hide it behind his usual confident and easy-going attitude, but when Dongwan arrived he could not help broke in a cold sweat at the only sight of the man. He could not feign being busy when they had no case so far, and he could not ignore the man either when any other morning he would greet him friendlily and have a small talk with him. Therefore, he did his possible to be as natural as he could.

Dongwan, as any other after weekend was more focused on his own little person than people surrounding him, and Minwoo had never fancy this side of the man so much before in his life. He could only thank God for being barely acknowledged or looked at by his friend who quickly disappeared in his office for his morning routine.

The attorney was certainly making a visual check of his office as soon as the door was shut in his back, and Minwoo thought hard about this morning to be sure he had not forgotten anything. He had barely touched anything anyway, but there was still a slim chance he had moved something without noticing and then Dongwan would know someone was in his office. There was no way he would suspect the cleaning lady because she did not have access to the room.

Minwoo had learnt quickly Dongwan was the paranoid type and then did not want any strangers close to his most private belongings. Such habit could be suspicious, but Minwoo never really minded it. Dongwan was a famous attorney with important and powerful clients; it was logic he wanted to protect them and his work.

He waited and listened, almost expecting the attorney to barge out of his office to accuse him of stealing the data. But only silence reached his ears, and after five minutes he had to admit Dongwan had certainly noticed nothing out of place and then he was safe for the time being. For how long it would last he did not know, but he appreciated it at the right moment.

His betrayal was too fresh yet for him to defend himself or even deny being responsible. There was high chances he would become a stuttering mess at the first question and get caught easily if Dongwan was confronting him today, so he hoped his friend would not notice until later something had happened. Maybe Minwoo would have enough time to get under control his emotions and manage to convince the attorney of his innocence -even if he was guilty-

 

      The day went by rather peacefully. Dongwan spent most of his time in his office looking into potential future cases while Minwoo did the paperwork and other tasks the attorney did not have time -nor the will- to do. He managed to relax slowly, and when afternoon neared an end, he was almost certain he did not have to worry about being busted today. Which was still better than nothing.

When six pm sounded, Minwoo gathered his stuffs and froze a second at his desk. Was he supposed to say goodbye to Dongwan ? It would look suspicious if he was not. He was always greeting his friend before leaving. Which meant he did not have a choice but knock on the attorney's office door and open it to greet him as comfortably as he should.

When he peeked at the door, Dongwan glanced up at him, and Minwoo almost petrified in place under the deep, scrutinizing gaze of his friend. He had never noticed before how chilling Dongwan's eyes were. He suddenly understood better how people were feeling when face to the man in court. Minwoo thought he would not like to be on the opposite side of Dongwan's case. It must be nerve-wrecking to be confronted to the attorney.

"I'm on my way." He said with a smile. "You don't need anything ?" He asked, praying Dongwan was good on his own.

"I'm good. You can go." Minwoo nodded and smiled. "Say hi to Hyeri for me !" He added, and Minwoo was not sure why he stiffened at the mention of his baby girl.

Certainly because of the past frightening and threatening hours. He needed to relax and get over it, which he knew would take time. He was already very protective over his daughter before these detectives happened in their lifes, but now he was feeling like keeping her close to him at any seconds of the day. Dropping her this morning at school had been a real torture for him, and he needed to force himself to just let her walk to her friends and get away from him.

He needed a lot of self persuasion about his little girl's safety, and once done he was able to walk back to his car and drive himself to work. Hyeri was on his mind most of the day -when he was not worrying so much about being busted by Dongwan at least- and now it was time for him to pick her up from school, he could not wait.

"Will do. See you tomorrow." He greeted, and Dongwan smiled.

 

      The day was warmer than usual, and when Minwoo arrived at school he was almost on time. Most children were already gone, but Hyeri and SeulChan were not the only ones waiting either. It reassured him, and opening his arms for his baby girl, he noticed immediately how tired she was.

Picking her up, all the tension in his body vanished at her contact, and rubbing her back, he greeted her with sweet loving words she answered by tightening her grip around his neck with her head on his shoulder.

"You okay sweetie ?" He questioned in concern, and feeling his little girl's breath on his skin, he noticed how hot it was. "Are you sick ?" He wondered out loud, and Hyeri shrugged tiredly.

Minwoo pressed a hand on her face and realized she was quite warm. Maybe their day out this Saturday had lasted too long, or maybe some kid at school was sick. He did not know, but knew the sooner they would be back home the better it would be.

"I'm tired." She answered in a mumble, and Minwoo wasted no time to walk back to the car then drive back home.

      On this same night, Hyeri went to bed without eating much, and after giving her medication against the fever, Minwoo slouched in the couch in front of TV. This day had been the longest one of his life, and he could not wait for it to be over. Too many things had happened, and remembering yesterday evening at this same time two strangers were there with him made a lump obstruct his throat and his stomach twist.

This situation had felt surrealistic, and finding himself alone with Hyeri at home felt almost as out of place as these men. He could not believe a few hours ago he was being threatened into something he did not want to do, but knowing his baby girl was safe in her bed helped him accept more easily what he had done. Even if he knew it would backfire at any moment.

Of course, Dongwan's wrath would be the worst, but losing his job would be a painful blow too. It was the best place he could have and knew if he was fired for something as bad as stealing confidential data his career was over. He was not sure what he would do else, but too tired to think about it, he lay down on the couch to watch some TV.

He did not last long though. With the little sleep he had last night, he was out on the couch without noticing it. He was relaxed and peacefully dreaming when something stirred him out of his slumber. He was not sure what it was at first, then he felt the presence beside him, and these detectives' image flashed through his mind.

Jolting awake, he stared with wide eyes at the dark room before looking down at his surprised and frightened daughter.

"Hyeri ?" He called in a breath, as if it could not be possible for her to be here in the middle of the night.

"Daddy." She said in a small voice, and blinking some senses back into himself, Minwoo realized how glazed her eyes were and how flushed her cheeks were.

"Are you okay ?" He worried immediately with a hand shouting out to touch Hyeri's forehead. "You're burning." He commented, and with fear growing on him, he got up the couch with his baby girl in his arms. "Come on, I'll take you to the hospital."

Hyeri did not say anything as Minwoo got their coats then put her hat and scarf on before picking her up to walk to the door. He checked his daughter's hat was low enough on her head to keep her warm before exiting the apartment.

 

      It was three am when Minwoo and Hyeri eventually stepped out of the hospital and went back to their car. Minwoo was exhausted but reassured now a doctor had checked on his baby girl. It was just a cold, nothing to worry too much about; but this sudden rise of fever after giving her medication had alerted him. Maybe he had overreacted, but better safe than sorry, and with children this saying was a principle all parents were following zealously.

Outside, the temperature was under zero, and once in the car Minwoo put the heater on and glanced at Hyeri on the backseat. She was dozing off, almost asleep, but after the medication the doctor had gave her it was normal.

Sinking in the driver seat, he took a second to breathe before starting the car and driving home. There was no traffic at such time of the night, and when they eventually arrived at their building and entered the apartment; Minwoo felt drained at the only thought he had to go to work in four hours. It was depressing.

Once Hyeri back in bed, he walked to his bedroom and collapsed on his bed. Despite how tired he was feeling, he could not find a restful sleep. Maybe he was thinking too much or he was too stressed, but most of his night was spent moving from one side to the other under his blanket. The least he could say was he was frustrated the next morning, and getting out of bed even before his alarm clock was ringing, he headed directly to his daughter's room to check on her.

She was sleeping soundlessly, and in a single look he was almost sure she was feeling better. Her face was not flushed like yesterday, and she was not sweating anymore. Sighing in relieve, he went to the bathroom for he was hoping a relaxing moment. He was so tensed that an ache was forming in his neck and shoulders.

      Waking up his baby girl, he checked her temperature and asked her several times if she was feeling okay. Once sure she was able to go to school -even if he would have rather keep her at home- he let her out of bed to get her breakfast. She ate with more appetite than yesterday, and when he drove her to school she was the energetic little girl he was used to.

Smiling softly for himself, Minwoo thought he had certainly panicked for nothing yesterday night, and once Hyeri at school, he realized on his way to work how tired he actually was. Two nights in a row with not much sleep was slowly getting on him, and he hoped nothing much would happen today. He was in no condition to deal with too many paperwork and researches.

 

      He took advantage of being alone in the office to rest his eyes and maybe get some needed energy. He certainly drifted away farther than intended, because what awake him was a hand on his shoulder shaking him. Startled, he jolted up in a sitting position before looking around in confusion.

"Hey there, sleeping beauty." Grinned Dongwan in what Minwoo supposed a teasing manner. He was never sure with the man. He could sound the most serious possible but actually be joking, and vise-versa. It was disturbing and quite nerve-wrecking, but he had gotten used to it over the years.

"Huh… sorry." He managed pathetically before rubbing his eyes. "What time is it ?" He glanced around and spotted the clock.

"Nine am." Voiced Dongwan, and Minwoo was reassured he had not slept too much at work. "Are you okay ? It's not like you to sleep at the office." Dongwan narrowed his eyes at him, and Minwoo felt uncomfortable. Maybe because he knew he had betrayed his friend and was scared of being exposed; he was not sure.

"I… Yeah." He rubbed his eyes and cleared his throat. "Hyeri's sick. She'd a high fever this night and I'd to take her to the hospital. I've not been sleeping much the past two days." He added and regretted it immediately, but Dongwan did not seem to notice anything wrong and patted his shoulder.

"You wants a day off ?" He questioned, and Minwoo could not believe it. It would be the first day off he ever had out of the blue in three years, and it sounded so unlike his friend.

Staring up stupidly, he blinked then shook his head. "It's okay. I'll manage, don't worry." He tried to busy himself with some work in hope Dongwan would drop the subject.

"What about Hyeri ? I doubt she's alone at home."

"Of course not !" Why he was feeling offended, he was not sure. "She's at school. Her fever was gone this morning and the doctor said it was just a cold."

Dongwan observed him for an unnerving second before nodding. "Okay. I'll be in my office."

Minwoo watched the attorney step away then disappear in the other room. He immediately relaxed once alone and slouched on his chair, thinking what an idiot he was to reject a day off offer. But he could not accept it. He was not one to escape work at any opportunities, and after betraying his friend, it was a favor he definitely could not accept.

 

      Lunch was nearing when Minwoo's phone buzzed on the desk beside him, and furrowing his brows, he checked the ID caller and worried at the second Hyeri's school's showed on the screen.

"Hello ?" He answered immediately.

"Mister Lee Minwoo ?"

"Yes."

"This is your daughter's school's nurse, miss Yang." Minwoo nodded even if the woman could not see him. "Hyeri's not feeling well. She's a fever, and she's coughing. She said this night you were at the hospital, is she alright ?"

"Huh, yeah. She's a cold. But she was alright this morning and I thought… I thought she was okay for school. I'm working you know and I couldn't watch her at home."

"I understand mister Lee, but she's actually sleeping in the infirmary. I can't give her any medication without a prescription, so I thought it'll be better for her to go home."

"I understand." He sighed back with a hand passing in his hair. "How high's her temperature ?"

"She's thirty-eight point eight degrees. But it's rising."

"Okay." He his lips and added. "I'll try to come as soon as possible, but don't hesitate to call me if her condition worsen."

"Will do mister Lee. Sorry to have bothered you."

"No, no. It's okay. You were right to call me, thanks."

"I'll see you later then."

"Yes, goodbye." He hung up and spaced out for a moment.

With Hyeri sick at school, he could not focus much on his tasks, and getting frustrated, he decided to ask for Dongwan's kindness a last time. But he promised himself it would be the last.

"Huh, Dongwan ?" He asked a bit hesitantly once the office's door open.

"A problem ?" Frowned his friend, and Minwoo swallowed.

"Well… it's personal, in fact."

Furrowing his brows some more, the attorney needed a second to comprehend what he meant before standing up.

"Hyeri ?" He questioned, concerned, and Minwoo nodded.

"Yeah. Her fever's back, and she's actually asleep at her school's infirmary. The nurse just called me, she wanted me to pick her up…"

"Then what are you waiting for ? Go get her !"

"But…"

"Don't worry about work. You can take some with you if you want, but sincerely, it can wait tomorrow." He added with a smile, and Minwoo had never felt that awkward and guilty before in his life. "Just go home. I'll come over later to check on you and Hyeri."

"You don't have to…"

"I want to." He answered with a hand falling on Minwoo's shoulder. "Jeez, you're tensed. You should go to a spa or something." He added with a grin and piercing gaze Minwoo could not hold. "Now go ! Hyeri's waiting for you."

"I'm so sorry for abusing of your kindness like this." He said with a soft chuckle. "I promise it won't happen again."

"Never mind. I'm the boss here, I do what I want."

The two friends shared a laugh before Minwoo eventually excused himself and walked out of the office. His steps taking him out of the building were fast, and knowing his baby girl was sick at school, he was in a real hurry to pick her up.



Shinhwa's gonna appear on Inkigayo 800th ep =D

Their upcoming comeback feels more and more real with their different appearances (first gag con in Shanghai and now Inki)

It's said they'll have a special perf or something, and I wonder what song(s) they're gonna chose and I can't wait for the 25th xD

As the dance-crazed I am, I'll love a special performance with Minwoo and Junjin with maybe some of their juniors (like you know, they love to have seniors and juniors on the same stage xD)

Well, I just hope I won't be "disappointed" even if we're talking about Shinhwa here, I'm just happy to be able to see them. But I'm getting my expectations high (which I know I shouldn't) and I hope to have a good surprise (if surprise there is in the first place lOl)

 

Look how excited I already am for an appearance on Inkigayo... how am I gonna be for their comeback ???

OMG, Shinhwa did really mess with me. I was never like this before xD

But I like the feeling ;))