Chapter V

Stolen Data

 

V

      The first five minutes were spent in silence. Minwoo was lost in his thoughts, ones trying to get him over the edge and do something stupid, others doing their possible to appease him and convince him going along was the best he had to do. For now, his reasonable side was having the upper hand, and he was trying hard for it to stay this way.

Succumbing to panic was always the main reason an already dear situation was turning to hell.

"So tell me…" Mun's voice startled him out of his thoughts and forced him to focus on a person he wanted to ignore. "How is it to work with infamous Kim Dongwan ? Is he as ruthless as in court ?"

Staring at the detective, Minwoo could not help the glare forming in his gaze. "He's a good friend, and a talented attorney. He's a ninety-eight percent success, and our clients are plainly satisfied of our services."

Mun snickered and sent him a sidelong look he hated sincerely. "I've no doubt he's such a great attorney."

"What is that supposed to mean ?" He growled back, trying hard to keep his calm.

"Nothing." He grinned back before letting a silence pass. "So he's your friend, hum ?" He commented, to which Minwoo sent a dirty look. "I've to admit I was surprised when I found out about this. Kim Dongwan, having as close friend his co-worker, who happen to be a single father miles away from who he involves himself with on a daily basis." He said then smirked. "You stood out like a sore thumb to say the least."

Minwoo stared and blinked before saying, "You spied on us ?"

Mun chuckled then glanced over at him, "Of course we did. We're private detectives, remember ? It's our job to look into people's life."

He should have expected it, should have know it, but hearing it directly from the man spying on him felt… invading. Like he had violated a part of his life and pried into something he should not have. Something personal and, well… private. Minwoo just learnt that having someone know about every part of his life, of his deepest secrets felt worse than these men getting in control of his life for personal reasons.

"You were the most suitable one to do the job, just because you've more to lose than Kim Dongwan's secretary. She's living alone and she's not that close with her family." Mun grinned and added. "I bet you didn't know she was the kind to seduce her sister's boyfriend to dump him the next day just because of a petty sibling's quarrel."

Minwoo was uncomfortable hearing this. He was not feeling at his place face to such personal information about a woman he was working with for the past three years and appreciating as a person. Why was this man telling him that anyway ?

Glancing over at the detective and thinking back about the words, he realized Mun was just letting him know they knew how to manipulate him into something he would never have done on his own. Just because he had someone he cared about and would give his life for. What a bastard.

"But you were a lot more interesting to work on than her." He added, and Minwoo was not sure how to take this. It felt out of place, for so many reasons, and deciding to just ignore the man, he watched the street stroll outside the window.

 

      Mun parked the car in a backstreet with no cameras. Minwoo was at a five minutes walk from his workplace, and anxiousness was growing on him at the perspective of what he was about to do. He was not good with secrets by nature, and he could not help worry about when Dongwan would find out about the stolen data. He had no doubt his friend would see through him and find every answers he needed.

"Relax." Said the detective with a grin at the corner of his lips. "He won't be there before nine. But I'm sure you already know that."

"I do." He almost snapped back. "It's not what I'm worried about." He mumbled. Mun raised a brow at him and observed him a second.

"You'll be perfect, don't worry. Once we've the data, we'll be out of your life."

"Yeah ?" He scoffed back, glaring at the man. "What about me ? When he'll know about the data… don't you think he'll suspect me right away ?"

"You'll be just fine, don't worry. Even if he expose you, the worst he'll do to you is fire you. Maybe sue you… but you've a good defense." He finished with a smirk, and Minwoo hated the man even more.

"You don't give a about what'll happen to me and my daughter once you've your ing data." He spat back with burning anger in his eyes. "This job's the best I'll ever have, and if I lose it… because of what you want me to do. My life's over. Nobody's gonna hire a thief."

Mun sighed and clenched his fist around the wheel. "Look. We're pro, okay ? Dongwan won't have a proof you're the one getting us these data. The CCTV are in our control. There'll be no trace of you anywhere, so don't worry. Even if he suspects you, just deny it."

"Yeah, easy to say." He scoffed back then fell silent. It was of no use to argue with this man, and he knew it. He had just hoped somewhere behind this façade was hiding a comprehensive, human person. Looked like he was wrong. "I should be going. Before Min's there." He eventually said before getting out of the car.

"Don’t forget !" Called after him Mun while pushing an earplug in his ear and holding a Smartphone in his hand. "Don't lose contact."

Minwoo glanced down at the detective before fishing the cell phone out of his pocket to look at it. "Yeah." He answered then slammed the door shut.

He felt Mun's eyes follow him until he was stepping at a corner and disappearing from his sight. The detective choose this right moment to call him, and with gritted teeth, Minwoo answered the phone before getting the earplug in his ear.

"Yeah ?" He answered, doing nothing to be friendly.

"Hello there." Shot back Mun's too cheerful and annoying voice. "I've a good visual." He told him, and Minwoo remembered about the glasses on his nose. Adjusting them, he could not help the lump forming in his throat.

"Don't do that." Said Mun to his confusion. "The image gets blurry otherwise." He added, and Minwoo realized he should be talking about moving the glasses.

"Hum." He answered simply, because he had no will to talk to this man more than needed.

After that, Mun was silent, and entering the building, Minwoo could feel the sweat at the back of his neck and pool on his palms in growing anxiety. He could not believe himself what he was about to do, but thinking it would do a lot less harm than refusing to steal these data, he managed to keep a semblance of confidence in his stance.

The secretary, Min, was not there yet. It was still early -barely half past seven- and the ground floor of the building was often empty until later in the morning. Which was why Mun wanted to leave so early. In a way, Minwoo was reassured, but at every noise reaching his ears he could not help tense and look around warily. He was almost expecting Dongwan to pop out of somewhere to scare the life out of him.

Which was stupid when knowing the man's habit after a weekend. Dongwan was never showing up before nine on Mondays -because he was partying hard on weekends, and even more after winning a case- so Minwoo knew he had little chances -to none- to be caught by his friend. But he could not help dread such possibility.

What if Dongwan had an emergency and was showing up at the office ? What if instead of getting wasted the previous night he had spent a peaceful night at home and got to bed early ? What if he wanted to be early at work for once ? What if…

Too many 'what ifs' made his head spin and threatened his breathing. Therefore, he forced his mind at ease before entering the office. Locking back the door behind him, he trembled when he found himself standing in the quiet and empty room. It was like he had never stepped a foot in here before while his surroundings were feeling too familiar at the same time.

Taking a shaky breath, he pulled on his tie suddenly restraining his respiration before stepping to Dongwan's office. The door was locked, but Minwoo had a key for emergency's measures. The irony almost made him smile.

He did not lock the door this time and stepped to the desk. Looking over the painting instinctively, he sat on the comfortable chair before ing his suit jacket. If it had been possible, Minwoo would have stripped in his boxers so much he was constricted in his clothes. He was certainly too nervous, and when Mun spoke he literally jumped out of his skin.

"Relax." Chuckled the man, and Minwoo swore if he was telling him to relax one more time he would strangle him with his bare hands. "Turn on the computer and connect the USB to the CPU."

Minwoo did as told without a word and looked back at the computer screen once done.

"What now ?"

The detective chuckled, "You wait. It's gonna unlock."

"How…" He did not have time to finish that the computer screen changed to Dongwan's desk background -a sport car Minwoo recognized as his friend's- What a narcissist. "What do I do…"

"Nothing." Answered the detective, and Minwoo watched as the cursor moved on its own to a file it opened. A password was asked, and waiting, Minwoo wondered if he was supposed to do something. Apparently not when the file unlocked and then the wanted data were saved on another computer.

Minwoo watched in amazement as all this happened, wondering who could be doing this and be so skillful. He knew for sure Dongwan's security was good -his friend was a paranoid by nature- so it was unbelievable someone could get through it so easily.

"There's a safe behind this paint, isn't it ?" Came Mun's voice, and Minwoo was startled out of his thoughts.

"What ?"

"Don't play dumb with me. I know there's a safe in this room, and I'm sure from what I'm seeing it's behind this paint. Nice one, may I add."

Minwoo blinked then answered, "So what ? I don't have the password."

He literally heard the smirk on Mun's lips, and he more than ever wanted to punch the guy's teeth in.

"I'm sure you do." He said with an honeyed voice.

Minwoo needed to grit his teeth and clench his fists to stay calm. Not only because he hated how this man had to talk to him -as if he was a kid or something- but because he was a know-it-all, and Minwoo hated the fact he had no secret for this bastard.

"I don't." He denied stubbornly, because stealing these data was enough, and the safe was never in the plan.

"Yes you do." Mun's voice took a sterner tone, and swallowing thickly, Minwoo knew he should not play for long with this man's patience. "I know everything about you, remember ? From the day you were born to your daughter's mother's actual localization and this special little talent of yours."

Minwoo froze at the words, blinked dumbly and tried to assimilate what Mun had just said.

"Wha… what did you say ?" He managed after gathering his senses. "You know where Sooyeon is ?"

Mun smirked and answered, "How many times do I have to reminds you. I'm a private detective, which means it's my job to know about people's life." Minwoo swallowed thickly. "So get me this safe open before I phone Junjin."

"Okay !" He was on his feet the next second and in front of the safe the other one. He hit the password and opened it. "What do you want ?"

Mun did not answer immediately before saying, "Get the black notebook and the files." Minwoo did as told. "Record the content, it'll be faster. Don't get shaky on me though." He added like a joke, but Minwoo was in no mood to find it funny.

Glancing at the computer screen, he realized the download was almost done, and wanting to be over with this damn task as fast as possible, he started recording the files and notebook's pages one by one. He was not sure what was written on them -he did not waste time reading it- but he could not help notice the files were about rather fishy people and the notebook about contacts, personal information and numbers he figured out were bank accounts.

When done, he was quite confused by what he had saw, but too preoccupied by what he was doing, he quickly put back the files and notebook to their original place in their original position before shutting the safe and putting the paint back in front of it. Just as he was doing so, Mun spoke and startled him.

"We're done." He announced, and impatient to get out of Dongwan's office, he went back to the computer, turned it off, got the USB back, checked everything was at its place on the desk before walking out of his friend's office he locked carefully before putting the key back where it belonged.

When he stepped out of his office, he was reassured the lobby was still empty, and checking his watch, he noticed Min would be at work soon, so he picked up his pace to Mun's car.

"Here." He said, throwing to the detective the phone and glasses he wanted away from him as soon as possible. Mun smirked at him and put away the items.

"You did a good job."

Minwoo was feeling shaky and slightly sick in his stomach, and glaring at the man he said, "You've what you wanted. Now take me back home and get out of my life !"

"Aren't you supposed to be at work in one hour ?" He answered, and Minwoo swore he could have punched the man. Not waiting an answer, Mun started the car and drove away.

 

      Hyeri was awake when Minwoo came back home, "Daddy !" She came running in his arms and hugged him tightly with her small arms around his neck. "Where were you ? Jinnie said you'd an errand to do. Why didn't you wake me up ? I thought you'd left me."

Guilt twisted Minwoo's guts and made him hug his baby girl tighter. He knew Hyeri always had this fear of being abandoned -maybe because her mother had and Minwoo had to leave her with someone else when she was just a baby- and he hated when he was hurting her like that. Therefore, he refused to let her go and just embraced her close to him before glaring at Mun.

"I guess you'll be on your way now." He said, trying to keep his voice neutral, and the detective smirked.

"Yes. Take care of yourself Minwoo." He greeted with a hand on the younger man's tensed shoulder. "And you too kiddo." He added with a grin and pinch of Hyeri's cheek.

Minwoo struggled hard to not slap the hand away or pull his daughter out of reach. He did not want to worry her, therefore he just glared at the man who smirked back at him before patting his back.

"Bye, bye huh…?" Hyeri pulled a confused face to which Mun chuckled softly.

"Eric." He answered with a smile to Minwoo's surprise, but like Junjin, it was certainly a fake name.

"Bye, bye Eric." She waved with an eye-smile, to which Mun grinned before meeting Minwoo's gaze.

"She's a beautiful eye-smile. Just like yours." He commented, and the shorter man could only blink at what he could only call a flirting comment. Eric laughed and nodded at Junjin standing not far from them. Minwoo had not even noticed him standing there.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, pumpkin." Smiled Junjin with a ruffle of Hyeri's hair. "Take care of your daddy, okay ?" He added with a wink, and the little girl grinned proudly with a vigorous nod of her head.

"Take care Jinnie. You're really fun, I hope we'll play again together."

Minwoo hoped they would never cross path ever again, but he did not say anything.

"Me too pumpkin, me too." He ruffled the little girl's hair a last time before joining Eric at the door. "You're a lucky guy Minwoo. You've the loveliest little girl ever."

"Yeah." He answered with a forced smile, just to protect Hyeri's innocence and keep her out of this mess. "I know." He finished sincerely to which Hyeri wrapped her arms around his neck to put her head on his shoulder. "Goodbye." He greeted then once the door open and the men almost out.

They nodded and smiled before eventually walking away. Minwoo watched them for a second before pushing the door shut and assuring himself it was locked. Sighing soon after, he eventually relaxed and realized how tensed he had been since these men had invaded his place. Which seemed to have exhausted him enough to make him want to stay at home with his baby girl. The only idea of separating from her today was beyond his capacities after what had happened; but missing work would be too suspicious.

Sighing again, he felt Hyeri's hand on his cheek rubbing small, gentle circles. It was a habit she had when she was worried about him and asking silently for some reassurance. Therefore, he looked at her and smiled before rubbing her back and letting her down to go back to her breakfast.

"I need to go to the bathroom sweetheart. I'll be back in a sec." He said, even if leaving his baby girl alone in the living-room tore his insides painfully. "If someone knocks at the door, or call on the phone or at the interphone… don't answer it. Okay ?" Hyeri narrowed her eyes at him in confusion. "Just don't open the door, okay sweetheart ?"

"Yes daddy." She answered hesitantly with a slow nod of her head. "What's going on ?"

"Nothing. Don't worry. I just…" He passed a hand in his hair and forced himself to calm down. "I'm just tired. Finish your breakfast and get ready for school, okay ?"

"Yes."

He locked himself in the bathroom then and leaned against the door to release a deep breath. His muscles relaxed and his heartbeat settled down. He was subjected to too much stress in too little time and the way his hands were shaking let him know how scared he had been for Hyeri. He did not even want to imagine how it would have been if his baby girl had been hurt.

Shaking his head, he pushed himself off the door to freshen up at the sink. His hair needed to be fixed, and the cold water he splashed on his face barely helped him gather his senses. He really needed to get back in control before going to work. Dongwan would know immediately something was wrong with him, and he was in no condition to face the man and lie to him right now. He needed more time to prepare himself for the confrontation he knew would come.

Now, he just had to hope his friend would notice only later -as late as possible- about the stolen data.



Is it me or it's really calm lately on AFF ? Maybe it's just me xD

Anyway, how was the chapter ? I hope I didn't make any stupid mistake and was coherent. I love these kind of stories, but you've to keep track of everything to not make a big mistake and confuse the reader. So yeah, if you notice something don't hesitate to tell me ^^