Chapter XIII

Stolen Data

 

XIII

      When he got Andy's call, he was expecting another bad news. Not only they had lost Park Junjin, but when they were so close to get Eric Mun, he slipped between their fingers. He was starting to doubt the efficacy of his most trusted man, but then he called him and told him the best news he had heard this whole week.

Eric Mun was on his tail, and it was their chance to get their hands on the man.

He did not waste time after that and agreed on a localization. He was in his car in a flash and driving to the wanted area with three men following him. He knew this time was his chance, and he would not let the man escape again. He had enough of this game of catch me if you can, and he needed to get his data back. Things were becoming serious, and some of his clients were now aware of the situation.

Dongwan knew it was a bad idea to inform his clients about potential hacking of his system, but it was part of the contract, and they were the ones giving the orders at such time. They knew too well he had too much to lose and were using this against him to impose their own rules. Fortunately, only a few of his clients were informed about the stolen data, but it was already too much. He knew how dangerous these people could be, and if he could not get these data back he knew too well what could happen.

And there was no way he would let this damn detective ruin his life so easily.

He needed these data back, and he will have them.


 

     Eric Mun was like he was imagining him. Tall, arrogant and handsome. He looked strong, and he had no doubt he was not afraid of a fight either. He did not like much blood bath, mostly in his presence, so his three men aiming their guns at the detective were perfectly welcomed. He knew the man was smart enough to not try anything against three armed men -five, if he was including himself and Andy- But he did not like to use his weapon, and Andy was in no position to use his either, yet.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. We've been running after you the whole week." He greeted with a smirk before adding. "How's Junjin doing ? I heard we lost him."

Eric glared at him and would certainly have shoot him right here and now if it had been possible.

"You ing bastard…" He hissed through his teeth and suddenly aimed his gun at him.

The three men at Dongwan's sides cocked their weapons and almost fired. But the hand he raised was enough to held everyone's fire back. Besides that, now Eric's attention was on him, Andy was free to pull his gun out and take control of the situation.

The detective froze when he felt the cold barrel on the back on his head, and when Andy ordered him to give up his gun, he did so without a word.

"Now." Smiled Dongwan with a step forward. "I want my data back."

" you." Spat back Eric, and losing his smile, Dongwan watched in delight as Andy hit the detective on the head with the of his gun .

He wondered for a second if they would have to wait for Eric to gain back consciousness, but unlike what he was expecting, the detective did not lose consciousness and glared up at him from his new position on the floor.

Smirking, Dongwan watched the trail of blood appearing in the man's neck and thought how beautiful it looked on this handsome man.

"Well, it looks like we'll need to persuade you then."

"You ing bastard…" Growled back the detective. "Where is he ?" He yelled, attempting to lung forward, but the guns aiming at him were enough to keep him still.

Frowning, Dongwan was not sure what Eric could be talking about, and his reaction seemed to enrage the man even more.

"I thought he was your friend." He spat then, sincere hatred dancing in his eyes.

At this point, Dongwan was utterly confused, and glancing at Andy, he got frustrated when the younger man just shrugged.

"Not that I care about anything else than my data at the right moment, but…" He furrowed his brows some more and stared in Eric's eyes. "Could you explain yourself a bit more ? Because I sincerely have no idea what you're talking about."

"Liar !" He snapped back, slightly moving before remembering the guns on him. "Why did you do this ? What do you want with him ? He knows nothing about the data."

Getting frustrated, Dongwan closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Suddenly, Eric sounded like the most stupid man he had ever met. Who was he to accuse him of taking he did not even know who when he was the one stealing something from him ? Either this man was trying to mess with his head or was an idiot.

"Okay." He breathed, trying to control his annoyance. "I won't say this twice." He opened his eyes and stared at the angry detective. "I do not know what you are talking about. And if you don't develop a bit we are going to torture you until you tell me where are my missing data. Then we'll shoot you."

Eric stiffened and swallowed thickly, and the reaction pleased Dongwan.

"Minwoo." Eventually spoke the detective, and the only sound of this name made Dongwan tense up and stare seriouly at the man on the ground. "Some guys took him." He blinked and added, "I thought it was you.".

Scoffing, Dongwan could not help the disdain showing on his face at such words. "Why on earth would I do something like that ?"

The look on Eric's face told him he had a lot of answers to that, and not feeling like hearing them, he waved his hand before the man could speak.

"Anyway. It wasn't me, okay ?" He swallowed and tried to disregard this worry building up inside him. "Now tell me what happened. We can't let Minwoo get hurt because of you."

Eric glared at him but did not deny the fact. "Let me go first." He answered, and Dongwan almost snapped.

"Listen here !" He said threateningly with a step closer. He glared down at the detective then crouched in front of him. "If you don't tell me right now what I want to know, I'm going to shoot you."

"If you shoot me you'll never know what happened to Minwoo." He replied for his greatest annoyance, and at this right moment he felt like beating the man to a pulp.

Taking a breath, he managed to stay calm before speaking. "Alright. Let's make a deal." He stared back in Eric's eyes and said, "I let you go and you give me everything you have about Minwoo's kidnapping. And if anything happened to him…" He did not need to voice his menace, because Eric was perfectly aware of it.

"I'll give you the information you want, but I want in."

Dongwan frowned and cocked his head on the side in confusion. "Why would you want to help ?"

"I've my reasons. You can't reject my offer, I'm doing this for Minwoo's sake."

Dongwan thought about it for a moment, then he said, "Fine. You'll be working with Andy." Eric glanced over his shoulder at the man before focusing back on Dongwan. "Find Minwoo ! Find him and let these bastards know what happens when you go after my people."

Eric did not seem to like much the order, but he did not comment on it and slowly stood up when he was allowed to. They maybe did not need the detective's help to find Minwoo, but it would be a lot more faster with him than without him. He had a skillful hacker working for him after all, and if working with this man would help them get back the data, it would be like killing two birds with one stone.

Dongwan could not help grin on his way out of the building, but then he remembered Minwoo was in trouble and his expression darken completely.

No one was touching what was his, and certainly not Lee Minwoo, his one and only real friend in this corrupted world.

 


 

      It was unnerving how this man had to look at him from the corner of the room. Still on his knees with his hands tied in his back, Minwoo was still unaware of his purpose here. The man had not told him anything and just sat in the corner waiting for he was not sure what.

As time passed, he really started to tire and the only reason he had not just collapsed on the ground yet was because the fear was preventing him to do so. He was so scared of what would happen to him, and as he saw the sun set, he started worrying about his baby girl. He did not know who could pick her up, and he was so scared Mun or he was not sure who would go after her.

He could not understand what was happening. These stolen data had no real sense for him, what Mun wanted to Dongwan was a mystery too and who these people kidnapping him were only added to his confusion.

      He heard a car outside and listened as it went to a stop before the doors were slammed shut and footsteps echoed closer. He did not really care about who was coming, but he was still curious in some way, and looking up with his head still hanging down in exhaustion, his world went crashing around him when he spotted who was with these men.

"Daddy !" Called his baby girl at the second their gazes met, and drawing on a painful breath, Minwoo thought he was about to suffocate so much he panicked at the sight of his daughter with these men.

"Hyeri !" He called back, shifting then grimacing in pain, but before he could even try to stand up an arm appear around he neck and pressed him against the man he had tagged as the boss. "Please…" He begged subconsciously, and chuckling, the boss' pressed the back of his thumb against his jaw and leaned closer to his ear.

"Look who's finally joining us." He teased annoyingly. "We can talk business now."

Minwoo's heart stopped beating and his mind was submerged by panicked thoughts and feelings.

"Daddy !" He heard again, then some man cursed in pain and attracted Minwoo's attention.

When he looked up, Hyeri came crashing against him for the tightest hug she had ever gave him. The boss beside him chuckled and moved away, as if to let them some privacy.

"Hyeri…" He breathed in the crook of her neck, and it felt so frustrating to not be able to wrap his arms around her to keep her close and safe from these people. "You okay ?" He asked in a strained voice. "They didn't hurt you ?"

She shook her head against his shoulder and tighten her grip around him. "What's going on daddy ? These people are scary." She added in a small, frightened voice, and it hurts so much to be unable to protect her at the right moment. "Why are you tied up ? Are you alright ?" She continued, suddenly pulling away to look at his face and trace the bruise around his eye with fear showing on her face.

"I'm okay sweetie." He answered with a smile. "I'm okay, don't worry about me." He told her, wanting so much to take her in his arms -where she would be safe-

She smiled softly, then a shadow appeared behind her, "Come here you little brat." Growled the man cursing earlier, and with an arm around Hyeri's waist, he pulled her up and away from Minwoo.

"Daddy !" She screamed in fear.

"Hyeri !" He shouted back in raw panic. "Please… Stop. Stop !" He begged in a strangled voice at the sound of his baby girl's terrified screams.

"Daddy !" He heard her shriek some more, and as powerless as he was made him hyperventilate and lose control over his emotions.

"Please…" He whispered, trying to regulate his breathe, but it hurts.

He looked for his daughter, but these men were big and he could not see her, just hear her terrified voice call for him. If he was not so numbed, he would have tried to run to her and get these people away from her. But he could not move. He was stuck in place and he was not even sure why.

"Well," Hearing the man beside him startled him so much that he could not help gasp then shiver. "I presume we can reach an arrangement now."

Looking up at the man, he stared in disbelief and wondered what this man could want with him. He had nothing, and he was no one.

"What do you want ?" He eventually asked the question tormenting him all this time, and the grin on the boss' face made him glare in hatred.

"Kim Dongwan." He answered, which made him blink and frown in confusion. "I want his head."

"…what ?" He could not understand, and if he had thought this man would give him answers to his interrogations, then he was greatly mistaken.

"I heard about the stolen data…" He began and Minwoo could not help curse inwardly. It was again all about these ing data, and he swore whatever was on it was better be worth it. "I want you to help me get something."

The disdain on his face must have been clear, but he did not care. He was suddenly tired of this nonsense. Why were people thinking just because he was Dongwan's friend it meant they could use him as wanted ? What was going on with his friend anyway ? What was he involved into to get such people after him ?

Thinking about all this, he realized he did not know the man he was calling his friend.

"Dongwan's in possession of important information I'll like to get my hands on."

"What information ?" He asked with a of his lips and no real will to have an answer.

"Information about his clients. He's keeping them in some little notebook. I presume he's a safe or something, and I'm sure you'll manage to get this for me."

Minwoo knew right away what kind of notebook this man was talking about, and he could not believe he would have to steal -again- from his friend.

It was not like he had much of a choice though, and unlike Mun, this man in front of him had a more dangerous feeling than the detectives ever had. He did not need to know this man or see what he was capable of, because he already knew he was not one to play around. This man was a criminal -he could tell by the method used- and unlike with the detectives, he knew this man would not think twice before hurting him or his daughter.

"Looking at you…" Resumed the man with his head tilted on the side and a small smile at the corner of his lips. "I can tell you already know what I'm talking about."

Minwoo gulped silently and shut his mouth tightly.

How on earth could he know that ? Was he such an open book that even some stranger could read him easily ? He knew he was never a great liar, but he never knew he was so awful at hiding his thoughts. He could not believe his emotions were showing so freely on his face, and he sudden hated it.

Glaring up at the man, he hated how he chuckled at him. It made him feel stupid, and strangely enough it reminded him of Mun's jerk like face he wanted to punch so freaking much.

"We'll contact you Sunday, and I hope you'll have what I want."

"Sunday ?" He repeated in agitation. "You mean… I can't get it in so little time." He looked back at the man in growing panic and added. "I'm not working on weekends."

The man laughed and stared at him with such fake tenderness that it became creepy.

"I mean…" He resumed, realizing his words could be interpreted the wrong way. "He'll know I did it if I go at the office on a weekend."

"It doesn't matter. I just want this notebook, then you'll get your daughter back and I'll be the happiest man on earth."

This guy was crazy, and as much as he wanted to say it, he could not. He was too scared of what would happen if he was provoking this man, and feeling trapped -once again- he realized he did not have a choice. He was sure this time Dongwan would kill him for stealing again from him, but what other choice did he have ? If he was not doing what this man wanted, they would hurt Hyeri.

Which he could not let happen.



So, is there enough Minwoo for you all ^^

I hope the 'boss' works as wanted, so don't hesitate to comment on him ;))

 

And congrats for today's win. Let's hope it's the beginning of many more

=D

SHINHWA FIGHTING !