Chapter XIX

Stolen Data

 

XIX

      Murder. It was the only permanent thought inhabiting Minwoo's mind as he sat on this comfortable couch in Dongwan's office he could not get out of. He had tried to talk some sense into the attorney, but it was fruitless, just like his (stupid) attempt to force his way out of the room. The least he could say was this Andy guy was a skillful man who had almost broke his arm when twisting it in his back before shoving him on the couch.

Since then, he was sitting there and hating Dongwan with his whole being and clenching his fists on the fabric of his pants until it hurts. There was a repetitive wish crossing his mind, and it was to tore the attorney's head off for preventing him to save his daughter.

He could, not accept but live with the fact Dongwan did not want to help him get Hyeri back, but he could not accept he was stopping him from doing so too. What kind of man Dongwan was, and what did he want with him ? He had a slight idea about the latter's answer, but he was too annoyed to give anything to the man he once called a friend.

      Sitting at his desk and ignoring Minwoo's presence, Dongwan was casually working on his paper work, which got under Minwoo's skin even more. He could not believe it and just wanted to get out. He knew though the door was now locked (and Andy gone) which was leaving him no way out, and the window was out of the question because it was too high (even if he envisaged it for a stupid, thoughtless second).

      Hearing the attorney sigh, he stiffened and watched as he slowly looked up at him before staring.

"What ?" He snapped in annoyance when Dongwan said nothing and just looked at him. "What ?" He repeated when another moment passed like this.

"It's annoying, isn't it ?" Eventually spoke the attorney before grinning.

Confused, Minwoo frowned harder and searched the man's face, which seemed to amuse Dongwan (Minwoo was starting to hate this fact, it was making him feel like an idiot).

"I can feel you staring -or should I say glaring- at me for the past ten minutes or so. And I don't appreciate it much."

"Then let me go." He shot back with a dark look to which Dongwan sighed.

"I can't."

"Why ?" His patience was running thin and he was not sure in the next couple seconds he would not jump across this desk at the attorney's throat.

"Park ShiHoo's still out there and I can't risk you being kidnapped again."

"You think I care about that ? This guy got my daughter, I need to find her." He snapped back in growing agitation, but Dongwan stayed unnervingly calm.

"We've the address this Hyesung guy gave you, so don't worry, we'll find her."

Minwoo frowned then blinked, "How do you know Hyesung ?"

Dongwan paused half of a second before answering, "You told me about him."

"No I didn't."

Dongwan stared straight at him without wavering and answered, "Yes, you did. Now let me finish these paper works."

Minwoo was not sure if he was about to either throw a tantrum, kill the attorney, burn his damn paper works or jump through the window in overwhelming annoyance.

Managing to stay still, he thought back about this moment he was forced to reveal Hyeri's whereabouts by this Andy guy. No matter how hard he thought about it, he could not remember mentioning Hyesung's name even once. He wanted to believe his memory was poor at the right moment, but there was no doubt he had never mentioned the hacker's name in this previous little exchange.

The realization made his mouth dry and his pulse quicken.

There was only one way for Dongwan to know about Hyesung, and it made him sick in his stomach.

"Did you track me ?" He blurted out suddenly, and stopping his actual activity, Dongwan looked up at him.

He thought for a second the attorney would deny or give him one of his severe look for saying nonsense, but instead a sudden smirk stretched Dongwan's lips and made him tense up in his seat. Minwoo had never noticed how twisted Dongwan could appear.

"I knew you were a clever one when I offered you a job." He answered and Minwoo gulped silently. "I could say thank you for your help, but you didn't do it knowingly. Instead…" He leaned against his desk with a smile and added, "I'll get your daughter back just to prove you I'm not as heartless as you seem to think lately."

Minwoo's heart beat faster at the information and hope spread inside him.

"I just have one condition though." He looked back at the attorney and waited. "When you'll have Hyeri back, I expect from you to forget everything you were involved in this past week. It'll be better for you, believe me."

Minwoo was not sure what to answer or think, and Dongwan did not let him much time to do so anyway.

"I already have plane tickets for the next flight to Canada. Your luggage will be waiting for you at the airport when you'll go there, and then…" He stared at Minwoo to finish. "You'll start a new life and forget about what happened here."

Minwoo was confused and lost. He could not understand why Dongwan would do such a thing when an hour ago he did not want to help him find his daughter if he was not giving him Mun's localization (which he already had if his assumptions were anything to go by). The attorney was really a confusing man he certainly would never figure out.

"Why do you…"

"Despite everything." Cut off Dongwan before looking up at him from his paper works. "I still have a particular liking for you and I want to keep you safe. So, now Park ShiHoo's around and knows about you, there's no other choice than get you out of the country somewhere he won't look for you. He may be powerful here, but overseas you'll be safe." Dongwan smiled and added, "With Hyeri."

Minwoo could not believe what he was hearing, and this hatred he had for the attorney just five minutes ago was vanishing quickly at the thought the man still cared about him. So yes, he could not understand and certainly would never, but if he could leave safely with his daughter and resume a normal life, he could not care less about Dongwan's motivations.

 


 

      When Eric told him (or should he say just suddenly reappeared from the back room with the firm intention to go after this little girl ?) he did not need to tell the man how dangerous it was -even if he could not help it and still said it anyway- As always, Eric ignored his every warnings and went along with his damn plan.

He would not mind it much if the older man had went alone, but Junjin had to be stupid enough to follow Eric and risk his life too. Damn these idiots. Hyesung was tired of always worrying about them and working his off to save their idiotic ones.

This time, as Eric and Junjin rushed out of the place, determinate to get killed and this innocent little girl killed, too. He promised himself he would not lift a finger this time and just let these idiots do whatever they wanted.

Of course, Hyesung himself knew how weak he actually was and there was no way he could abandon the detectives to their fate. Maybe if Eric had been alone... But no, he could not even abandon this bastard. Which was the greatest burden in his life. Why the hell did he have to be so damn loyal ? Eric did not even care that much about them -at least it was what he wanted people to think-

Damn, Hyesung knew the man too much to let him down, and when he located the two -thanks to Junjin's phone- he could not help sigh. He knew though where they were going and for what, but seeing it for real frustrated him.

No one was never listening to him -when he was a good adviser, just ask Junjin- and sometimes he was feeling so tired to be left in this hideout to worry about these idiots.

“Yep ?” Answered Junjin's cheerful voice, and Hyesung could not help sigh.

“I've got your position. Take the other road, there's an accident and the highway's blocked.”

There was a short silence, then Jinnie said, “Okay man. Thanks.”

Hyesung heard Eric's voice but did not understand what he was saying, and waiting, it was not long before Junjin reported what the older man wanted.

“Can you give us an upload on the situation at this house ? What ?” Another pause while Eric spoke and this time Hyesung heard clearly what he wanted -which almost made him sigh again- “Huh, can you check on Lee Minwoo too ? See if you can get in contact with him or something.”

“And for what ?” He almost snapped back, and waiting as Junjin passed the message to Eric, he watched as the satellite image cleared slowly.

“Just to let him know Hyeri will be back soon.”

“And what if you don't come back with her ? I don't want to give the guy false hopes.”

After reporting to Eric, Junjin said, “Never mind. Just keep track of him.”

He growled and said, “Okay. Well, I've an image of the house. There's still no activity.” He frowned and wondered if this place was worth checking it.

He could not use the satellites for long (and hacking them a second time in so little time was risky) but not only he could not see the car parked outside anymore, but nothing seemed to be moving around here. Were there even people in this place ? What if they were long gone by now ? He knew Eric would still check it anyway (he needed leads to find this girl), therefore he did not voice whatever was on his mind and just reminded the older man it could be dangerous.

“It's gonna be alright, don't worry. I'll phone you later.” He said, and before Hyesung could argue with this stupid belief, the line was cut and a regular beep was left behind.

“Damn you !” He snapped, kicking the floor before forcing himself to calm down.


 

      He was trying to find the car around this isolate area equipped with CCTV while checking on Lee Minwoo's position every now and then when his security system suddenly went off.

“What the hell ?” He breathed, looking up at his screen on which the CCTV showed him clearly who were the intruders. “You've got to be ing kidding me.” He groaned, recognizing Andy Lee accompanied by some of his men. “ !”

How the hell did they found him ? The place was safe -he had made sure of it- so, how the hell...

Stopping in his urgent packing, an unnerving thought crossed his mind, and cursing for himself all the while he moved around the room, deleted what he could, sent off what he could and gathered what he needed the most, he did not have much time to take everything he would like to take before escaping by an exit hole in the floor situated in the back room.

He was out before Andy and his men could enter, and running his way through the underpass, he emerged back at the surface a couple streets from their hideout and hurried to get away from the area.

Fortunately, such kind of situation was expected for as long as they were working like this, and knowing exactly where he would find a car to get to their emergency hideout, he could not help curse Eric all the way.

If this damn idiot had not brought this Lee Minwoo to their place Kim Dongwan would not have found them. He could not believe Eric was stupid enough to bring Minwoo there without even checking for bugs. Was he that stupid ? The guy was a close friend of Dongwan, and if he had not lead the attorney to them willingly, it was no surprise Kim Dongwan had used him to get to them.

Eric was so stupid sometimes, and Hyesung sincerely hated him at such times.

 


 

      Allowed to get some rest in the room from his last stay at the mansion, Minwoo was restless and could not wait for more information from Dongwan's men. The attorney did not want to tell him much and just assured him his daughter would be back soon. How was he supposed to trust the man blindly after what had happened ? Even if he wanted to, he could not. This suspicion was stuck on him and twisting his insides, and the perspective of never seeing Hyeri ever again terrified him sincerely.

Dongwan had let them down once, what would prevent him from doing so a second time ? What if getting Hyeri back was bringing too many troubles and the attorney would judge it a waste of time and efforts ?

Minwoo did not want to think like that. He wanted to trust the man he used to call one of his best friend. But he could not. Not anymore at least. A little voice inside his head was continuously reminding him what was at stake and what kind of man Dongwan really was. This alone was making him doubt too much, and after twenty minutes or so he found himself thinking hard about a way to get out of the house.

He had no doubt the security was tight, and on his way to the mansion, he had already counted four guards outside. How many more could be inside ? He did not know but was ready to risk it. He needed to get out and assure himself Hyeri would be found and saved. He could have trusted Dongwan, but it was stronger than him, and knowing there was people actually willing to do their possible to find his daughter, he thought his best option was to get to them.

Maybe they could work in parallel with Dongwan's people and be a guarantee Hyeri would not be abandoned at her fate because the attorney would not judge it worth it. He knew Eric would not give up before getting his daughter to safety, and as much as he was resenting the detective for everything he and his baby girl had to endure, he could not deny the man was trustworthy.

Of course, he did not know Eric Mun, he did not know the slightest about him excepted he was a bastard, but despite that, he was feeling he could trust him. Junjin was just another reason for Minwoo to believe in the detectives more to find Hyeri than in Dongwan, and he was definitely desperate to think like that.

After all, the twos were the reason this situation was existing today, but even though, they were skillful people he knew he could count on to get his family back all together.

      When he opened the bedroom's door, he was almost expecting for it to be locked, and peeking in the corridor, what hit him was how quiet it was. Was it always that silent in this place ? He could not remember and did not waste time on the matter. He had to get out, and if he had enough luck for the guards to not be around, he would not let the opportunity pass.

The way down the stairs was easy, but as he was about to head towards the front door, he spotted a security camera moving and following his movements. From this point, he understood even if he was making it outside, whoever watching him would make sure he would not go any farther.

Tensing up and swallowing thickly, he stared at the camera fixated on him and suddenly felt like a prisoner. He wondered if Dongwan was the one watching him, and this thought only made him boil. His friend was appearing more and more creepy the most he was spending time with him, and he could not believe he never noticed such side of the man before.

Was he that blindly trustful ? Was Dongwan that good of an actor ?

Minwoo felt stupid as he remembered the past, and eventually snapping out of it, he concluded if no one had came to him by now it meant he was allowed to wander around as long as he was not trying to leave. It felt enraging, but controlling his emotions, he made his way in the opposite direction from the front door and found himself in the kitchen.

He was not hungry nor thirsty, but he guessed if he wanted whoever watching off his back he better play it cool. Opening the fridge, he was not surprised to find nothing else than bottles or cans. Picking a strawberry juice, he opened the bottle and sipped on the drink. Feeling the cold liquid slide down his throat made him realize how thirsty he actually was, and gulping some more juice, he was feeling better afterward.

Looking around the kitchen, he thought about his possibilities but realized he did not have much. He could have called Junjin, but Dongwan had his phone, and thinking back about the moment the device was taken from him, he pictured back the moment the attorney opened a drawer from his desk and put the phone in it.

Should he give it a try ? He had no idea if he would have an opportunity to get to Dongwan's desk and even less drawer, but what did he have to lose ? It was not like he had any other way to get in contact with Junjin.

Swallowing a sigh, he decided to head back upstairs then to his friend's office. There was no one guarding the door, and knocking on it, he waited for the attorney to answer, but nothing came. Frustrated, he tried again and was startled when the door opened sharply.

Being on the phone, Dongwan looked at him in what felt annoyance before frowning and asking him silently what he wanted. Minwoo suddenly felt like giving up and walking away, but before he could do so the attorney let him inside and shut the door after him.

Listening to Dongwan's conversation, all the man said was 'yes' and 'hum', but it was clear in his voice he was far from pleased, and Minwoo would not like to be whoever on the line.

“Okay. Just keep looking !” He said before hanging up and sighing. “Well, what do you want ?” He asked then, looking up at Minwoo who could not help tense up.

“Huh, nothing.” He answered, feeling nervous with this only little lie. “I was bored.”

Dongwan narrowed his eyes at him before a ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. “You were supposed to rest.”

“I couldn't.” He answered, watching as the attorney walked back to his desk and sat down with a massage of his eyes. “You okay ?”

“Yeah, peachy.” He answered sarcastically, and Minwoo felt stupid. “Look, I don't have time, so why don't you go back to your room and sleep ? I'll come check on you later.”

Minwoo pursed his lips and racked his brain for a plausible reason to stay in the office. “Do you have news about your men ?”

Dongwan raised a brow at him then stared, “They're still on the way there. I told you we'll get her back, so don't worry.”

How was he supposed to not worry when his baby girl's life was in danger ? It was clear Dongwan had no idea what having a child meant, and suddenly feeling really tired, he let himself slouch on the couch and balanced his head against the back of it.

A silence engulfed the room after that, until it was broken by the squeak of Dongwan's chair. Presuming the attorney was walking to him, Minwoo did not move nor opened his eyes and kept his hand on them in a useless attempt to restrain the tears.

He felt Dongwan weight on the couch beside him then his hand on his shoulder, and suddenly he could not contain his feelings anymore and felt the hot tears flow down his cheeks. He did not want to cry, he really did not want to, but suddenly, everything became too much and he just needed to let it out.

“Hey. No need to cry. Everything will be okay.” Dongwan's voice was comforting but still paused, and Minwoo could not help snicker at that, but the sound quickly morphed into a sob.

“Yeah, sure. It's not your daughter in these people's hands.” He managed in a strangled voice, and suddenly Dongwan's hand was pressing against his neck and pulling him closer.

“Hey. Shh. It's okay. Everything will be okay.” He comforted with squeezes of Minwoo's neck and pats on his back, and despite the fact it did not felt that sincere, Minwoo relaxed in his friend's embrace and cried on his shoulder.

He felt like crying forever, but then his senses were back and he could not shed any more tears. Feeling he had calmed down, Dongwan let him pull away slowly with puffy eyes and his head hanging down.

“Here.” He said, handing him some tissue, and taking it, he wiped his nose before daring a glance towards the attorney.

“Sorry 'bout your suit.” He said before a small grin broke his face, and smiling, Dongwan dismissed it with a hand gesture.

“You want something to drink ? I've a coffee to kill for.”

Minwoo thought about it for a second, and expecting the attorney to prepare the coffee himself that would with some luck be in the kitchen, he nodded and observed his friend.

“I'll be back in a second.” He said, patting Minwoo's thigh before standing up and heading to the office's door.

Minwoo's heart jumped in his chest, and with his pulse quickening, he waited for Dongwan to open the door, step through it and walk away to eventually believe it was his chance.

It seemed the attorney took forever to disappear at the corner, but when it happened, Minwoo did not waste time and was ready to rush to the desk to get what he wanted. His careful side was stronger though, and counting to ten in his head, he waited a few more seconds to be sure Dongwan would not come back unexpectedly and hurried to the desk.

He quickly found his phone, and taking it without hesitation, he anxiously put it on mute before glancing at the opened door.

Did he have enough time to contact Junjin ?

He hesitated for a second before composing the number he fortunately remembered considering this Andy guy had taken everything from him, and waited for the detective to pick up.

“Yeah ?”

“Junjin, it's me, Minwoo.” He said hurriedly with perpetual glances at the door. “Listen, I'm at Dongwan's place, but I can't get out.”

“Are you alright ?”

“Yeah, yeah. Fine. It's just... I can't stay here and wait for something to happen. I can't !”

He must have sounded desperate enough, because Junjin said, “Okay. Just wait, I'll give a call to Hyesung and he'll get you out of here.”

Minwoo did not argue nor have time to that he heard footsteps in the distance. Hanging up quickly, he checked a last time his phone to be sure it was on mute before hiding it in his pocket and going back on the couch.

A minute later, Dongwan was reappearing in the corridor with two cups in hand and a grin on his face.

Minwoo swore his heart was about to explode so much it was beating hard, and for a moment he felt high on adrenaline and completely forgot about the pain stuck on him since he was out of the hospital.




Well, we're slowly nearing the end. I still have to write it, but it shouldn't be long anymore.

, I just took a look at the chapters I have and next one is the last written but not even finished D=

I have to go work on it !