Chapter XVIII

Stolen Data

 

XVIII

      When Hyesung said hacking the satellites would take some time, he meant it. A couple long hours passed, and Minwoo had nothing to distract himself from the wait. In fact, each moment passing made it worst for him, and if not for Junjin coming and talking to him, he would have lost it for real.

It was quiet in the room, besides the buzz of the working computers and clicks on the keyboard. It became a background noise when Minwoo's mind eventually focused on something else than his worries. Junjin was as nice as cooking him something -well, something coming from the freezer, but still- It was nice from the man who happened to be nothing like Minwoo had imagined him.

It reassured him to know the person who had spent such time with his daughter was in fact someone good. Despite Junjin's job, he had an innocence emanating from him when he was flashing this smile of his. Minwoo was glad for the man's presence at the right moment. He was like a comforting blanket giving him some warm and relaxing him, and he appreciated the feeling.

On his side, Eric was working on Minwoo's laptop. The later did not know what he could be looking for there, but he was far from caring about it. He could do whatever he wanted with Dongwan's information, he did not care anymore. It hurts to think only a few hours ago Dongwan was his best friend he could trust and relay on. It hurts even more to think about the real person the attorney was.

Minwoo always knew Kim Dongwan was more than he was letting show at work, but he never minded it much. Dongwan was a good friend and good work collaborator. He did so much for him over the years and he was sincerely grateful towards the other man all this time.

Never he would have imagined he was such a cruel man. How could he let an innocent little girl die because of something concerning his dirty business ? Minwoo could not understand nor believe it. Dongwan always seemed to like Hyeri. He was often asking about her and giving Minwoo opportunities to spend some special time with her. He always thought Dongwan cared for Hyeri like an uncle, while in fact…

He did not really know. What was meaning the attorney when he said he liked him ? He already knew he liked him, because he liked Dongwan too. Was he trying to say he liked him only ? That Hyeri was never important but just someone part of Minwoo's life and making him happy ? He did not want to think about it, because it sounded sick and he wanted to forget about all this.

He promised himself once he will have find Hyeri he will take an undeterminable break and leave. Where ? He did not know nor care. He just wanted to get as far away as possible from what had happened here and forget. Hyeri would need this time too to overcome the traumatizing experience.

He just hoped these people would not have hurt her, or not too bad.

Gosh, he could not believe what he was thinking. Never in his life he would have imagined one day he would be wishing that his baby was not hurt too badly. What father was he doing ? She should not even have been hurt in the first place…

"We'll find her." Junjin's voice pierced through his mind and brought him out of his thoughts, and looking over at the detective sitting on the couch with him, Minwoo wanted to believe him. "Hyesung's the best. He'll find her. And I promise if anything happened to her these people are going to pay."

Minwoo saw an emotion he was not expecting in Junjin's eyes : hatred. Pure, raw hatred full of promises and danger. It could have worry him, make him uncomfortable. It would have worried him and made him uncomfortable two days ago, but now, in such situation, he anticipated the moment the detectives would find his daughter and punish the ones taking her.

He was never a violent man before. Never liked violence and fights, but with everything going on, with the knowledge something horrible could be happening to his daughter made him wish and want to hurt everyone responsible of such thing. Dongwan included.

He was trying to ignore and push the feeling away, but it was no secret he wanted to hurt the attorney badly for what he did. In some way, such thoughts scared him, but the agreeable feeling coming with the prospect of making Dongwan bleed and scream and hurt was too much to be ignored or controlled.

Minwoo was sure if he had an opportunity at the right moment to be face to face with the attorney to get his anger out, then he would seize it.


 

      When Hyesung eventually managed to hack the satellites, they all gathered around him to observe. Minwoo's heart was hammering in his chest in anticipation, and he could not wait to finally know where Hyeri was.

It seemed too long before anything clear or useful appeared on the screen, but when Hyesung claimed he found the car, Minwoo's mind started to race. Every scenarios formed in his head as he imagined the moment they will find his daughter, the moment he will take her in his arms, the moment she will hug him so tight that none of them wanted to let go, the moment these people will pay for their doings, the moment things were not happening as expected and something was going wrong. Minwoo felt raw panic at the thought he could be so close to get his baby girl back but still lose her in the end.

He did not want to think about it, but it was a possibility he could not ignore either. It was too real in his mind to be ignored. Because he knew. He knew for spending some frightening and unnerving hours with this dangerous man that nothing good was happening with him.

Suddenly, he was glad Dongwan told him nothing about this guy, because he was sure it would have made the situation worse.

"Got it." Grinned a victorious Hyesung, and noting the localization on a piece of paper he handed to Eric, Minwoo felt funny at the thought this stranger was so invested in something that had nothing to do with him. He looked so proud and happy about finding this place that a small smile broke Minwoo's face.

He had not realized it plainly until there, but there actually was people, skillful and determinate people working their off to find his daughter. And he was the most thankful man on earth for that.

Even to this of Mun.

"Okay. Junjin, you're in any condition to come with me ?" Asked Eric once he had the address, and Junjin snickered.

"Of course I am. Let's get this lil' girl back to her daddy."

Minwoo could have be annoyed by the sweet word, but he was not. In fact, it made him smile softly.

"Jinnie." Butted in Hyesung with a scowl on his face and concern in his voice. "I'm not sure it's a really good idea."

"What ? Come on Sungie… He can't work alone, and I'll be fine. I've my painkillers." He added with a teasing grin to which the hacker did not answer.

"You think it's funny ? You could die trying to get this kid back !"

It hurts to hear that, because Minwoo wanted every people available to get his baby girl back, but he would never be able to live if someone was getting killed because of him. He did not want people to die. He just wanted his daughter back.

"Think about it, Jinnie. It's ShiHoo we're talking about. The guy already tried to kill you once…" Minwoo did not really understand the shocked expression on Eric's face nor the pointed glare the hacker sent to said man. "Do you think his guys will hesitate to kill you both if you try to take them alone ? Come on guys, you can't be serious."

"What are you saying Hyesung ?" Growled back Eric as he put his gun in place under his coat. "Do you want to let this kid die and do nothing ? I didn't know you were such a cold-hearted bastard."

It was clear in any other moment the hacker would have jumped at the detective's throat, and watching from the side, Minwoo worried about how all this was going to turn.

" you Eric." He spat back with a murderous glare. "I've never said that. But for once, you could use your brain instead of rushing blindly. What are you gonna do if these people happen to be a dozen in this house ? How are you going to take them down ? Do you think you and your pretty gun will be enough to keep you two alive ?"

The words made Minwoo think, but not Mun apparently.

"Listen Hyesung. You're maybe an expert with computers, but when it comes to field you . Let me take care of this and everything will be alright."

"Yeah, just like this ing job was supposed to be like a walk in the park but in the end turned out like a big mess that almost got Jinnie killed -again." The hacker took a step closer before continuing. "I won't let you risk his life again. Hell ! I won't let you risk this girl's life either. Because face it Eric… if you barge in here like the cowboy you are with your gun waving in the air, do you really think they won't hurt her ?"

This got to Minwoo and made him hesitate about whatever plan Mun could have. Hyesung had good arguments and seemed smarter too. His side was logic and true, while Eric had said nothing about what he was about to do and just looked ready to rush in this house and do whatever was necessary to take these people down. Just like in stupid movies.

But it was no movie, and he could not risk his daughter's life because of some thoughtless bastard who wanted to prove he was better than anyone else.

"He's right." He eventually spoke and got the three other's attention. "We can't just go there. It's too risky. We need help."

"Well, great idea Minwoo, but if you haven't noticed so far… we're not a very big company." Answered a sarcastic Eric, and for that he hated the man once again.

"I know that. That's why I thought I could try to ask Dongwan for some…" The detective cut him off with a snicker.

"Really now ? You want to go back to this bastard after what he did ?" Eric came closer to him, so close that Minwoo wondered if he had to worry about a punch or something. "Let me remind you if your daughter's life is in danger now it's because of him !"

"No !" He snapped back, flared up by the stubborn man's behavior. "If she's in this mess it's because of you !" He poked the taller man's chest and added. "If you had never appeared in our life none of this would've happened. So don't go blaming others for what's going on now. It's all your fault, and I won't let you risk my daughter's life again."

Eric stared down at him ever so silently, but Minwoo could see hidden emotions he suddenly felt bad about, but he was too scared and angry and annoyed to give it much importance.

"Fine. If you think your dear friend will do a better job than us, fine. Go beg him to find the little girl he left to die just to protect his ing !"

Minwoo flinched at the last yelled words but held his ground. He did not have much of a choice, it was all for Hyeri's well-being. They could not do this alone, and there was no one else to help them at the right moment.

Eric did not wait for an answer and turned his back on him to go back on the smaller couch where he had worked on the laptop all these past hours. Minwoo was not feeling that great, but what else could he do ?

"You're sure you want to ask this guy for help ?" Asked a concerned Junjin to which Minwoo sighed.

"What other choice do I have ? He's a lot of people working for him. And if there's someone with the power to do it it's him."

A silence passed, then Junjin put his hand on the shorter man's shoulder. "Just be careful, okay." He said with a smile he answered softly. "I know he's your friend… well, was, is ? Whatever. He's not the man you think he is. We investigated on him, and we found nasty stuffs."

"I've known him for years. I trusted him, cherished his friendship. He can't just forget about it like that." At least he hoped he would not. "I've to try. I don't have a choice."

Junjin gave him a tight smile and pat on the shoulder. "If you need help, don't hesitate to call me." He handed him a little card he accepted with surprised eyes. "I really like your daughter. She's my friend." He said ever so innocently that Minwoo felt like crying because of all the emotions inside him.

"Thank you." He was sincerely grateful and hoped everything would be alright for the three -despite what had happened- Dongwan was not the innocent victim in Minwoo's eyes anymore, and if the detectives and hacker could get through this peacefully he would be glad for it.

 


 

      Minwoo was not that surprised, when, on his way to the office some car stopped beside him. He recognized the man behind the wheel as the same one who was looking for Eric at his building, and feeling his throat tighten, he swallowed and hopped in the car as instructed. He knew this man was working for Dongwan, and he was certain (almost) that he was safe with him.

The man drove him to Dongwan's house, and breathing deeply before the car parked, he got out of the vehicle with a racing heart and tormenting thoughts.

He was worried to face the attorney after what had happened, and he did not know why he was so anxious, but it was like something would go wrong (again) and he would be forced to make a choice he did not want to make.

      The walk to the mansion was too fast for his liking, and Dongwan's man beside him was so quiet that it only made his anxiety grow.

He wanted to say something, but each time he was stealing a glance at the man all his resolution was vanishing and leaving him mute. This guy had a worrying aura keeping his mouth shut and making his stomach twist, and at this moment he realized he did not want to get on the man's bad side.

He was walked through the house to a door on the second floor then inside a spacious office where Dongwan was working.

Minwoo swallowed thickly before daring a step closer.

The attorney looked up at him casually and nodded for him to take a seat, which he did without a word.

"Do you feel better ?" Asked Dongwan while working on some papers, and Minwoo hated him uncontrollably for that. He even wondered if the other man was for real. Because… really, he could not believe how he was behaving (as if nothing was wrong).

"I need your help." He blurted out without any kind of formalization, and Dongwan eventually looked up at him (in apparent surprise).

Minwoo felt nervous under his former friend's piercing gaze but still held it. Then Dongwan laughed, put his pen down and focused completely on him.

"You never accustomed me to such straightforwardness. Not that I don't appreciate it… but you were always more… diplomat. Which I liked, too." He said and grinned without diverting his gaze from Minwoo's.

There was something in the attorney's eyes he could not really pinpoint, and deciding to ignore it (just because he wanted to get over with this situation as soon as possible) he his lips before speaking again.

"I know where Hyeri is." He said, hating how amused Dongwan seemed by his sudden attitude. "But I need your help to get her back."

"Well, well, well." Grinned the attorney as he leaned in his seat arrogantly and crossed his hands in front of him. "Look what we have here. And may I ask how you managed to find her, on your own, when my most skillful people couldn't ?"

Minwoo his lips and felt like squirming on his seat (which he had to fought against really hard) before wondering what he could answer to Dongwan. He did not know why, but he was almost sure the attorney already knew how he had found his daughter, but if his former friend wanted to play like this, he would not chicken out.

"The detectives you're after. They helped me."

Dongwan laughed again, more loudly before staring at him in real incredulity.

"What's gotten into you Minwoo ? Spilling out all your little secrets without a second thought and challenging me like that."

Minwoo thought he never challenged the attorney, but whatever. He had other matters at hand to care about it.

"You're intriguing me." He added with a smirk Minwoo glared at.

"I don't have much time. So, will you help me or not ?" He shot back to a sincerely amused and impressed Dongwan.

"Okay." He said, leaning forward on his desk. "But at one condition." Minwoo already hated what the attorney would ask him. "You tell me where to find these new found friends of yours."

Minwoo stared back at Dongwan in growing anger and nervousness. He did not want to betray Junjin and Hyesung (heck, he did not want to betray Eric either) but if it was the price to pay to get his baby girl back…

"What if I don't ?" He challenged back, because, really… he could not let Junjin get hurt again (he could not let any of the three get hurt by Dongwan again).

"Then I'm afraid you'll have to figure out on your own how to get your daughter back."

Minwoo hated the attorney from the bottom of his heart at the right moment, and glaring in these amused eyes, he managed to make a choice without much regrets.

"Fine." Standing up, he turned his back on Dongwan and walked to the office's door he opened without hesitation, before stopping net when the attorney's man blocked his way out.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you." Spoke up Dongwan from his desk. "I can't let you go." 



Well~

How was it ? I hope you enjoyed it ^^

I'm curious to know how you feel about Dongwan. He's a quite complicated character being confusing at some points (and you certainly didn't see much of it yet xD). So let me know if he works well C=

 

Thank you for your support and all. 

 

P.S : Have you seen ? Shinhwa's releasing their XII "We" Production DVD with the BTS footage of photoshoot, MV, dance...

I can't wait for it =D Even if I feel it's gonna be freaking expensive (it's not much the DVD, but mostly the shipping fee xD T.T)