Chapter XXI

Stolen Data

 

XXI

      Andy knew perfectly what his job was. He knew his only purpose was to make Kim Dongwan happy, and to make the great Kim Dongwan happy one just needed to be worth the man's expectations. He knew that since the day the attorney's father had hired him, and today he knew more than anyone else how to live up Kim Dongwan's expectations.

He was not considered the best out there for nothing. The Kim's family knew what he was capable of and knew he was the man they needed for any kind of situations. Maybe he was not the most skilful with computers, but it was why hackers were existing.

Kim Dongwan had found the best out there. The guy was just released from prison thanks to the Kim's family hiring him the next second. The guy knew his life was as good as being owned by the Kims, but he did not really care. Kim Dongwan's family was paying well, and as long as you were living up to their expectations, everything was fine for you.

Andy always took pride in his efficiency YoonJae -Kim's hacker- was completing perfectly. They were a good team (even if rarely sharing more than necessary words) and were working well together. YoonJae knew his job and knew Andy's method well enough now to be sharp and clever about the work.

Andy liked this fact and liked his job. He was taking pride in being the shadowed man of the Kim's family and power. He liked the idea of being indispensable and unbeatable. He was redoubtable and people crossing his way for the wrong reasons knew that perfectly.

He had no qualms in torturing others for the wanted information. He was specially trained for this art back in the day, when he was working for the government. He knew techniques no casual people would even think about, but these ones were most of the time used in last resort.

It was such a shame this Park Junjin had escaped so soon. He had a lot of well thought tortures in store for him. Maybe he was a bit sadistic on the sides, but there was no denying he was taking some pleasure in others pain.

It was either inflict the pain or be victim of it, and after falling prisoners in the communists' hands, he knew without a doubt where he rather stand. Giving pain was easy. Taking lives was nothing for him. He could live with it. Could live with the torment he was putting family through. He did not have that much of a conscious to feel bad about his job.

People were saying he was cold, heartless. He would rather say emotionless. Not that he was always like that, but since his last mission in North Korea where he almost died, emotions were not something he was familiar with anymore. Explaining why he had no problem executing his work as he should.

However, there was still this well known but controlled anger bubbling inside him when the unexpected was happening. Not that he could not deal with it, but when the unexpected was named Eric Mun, it was plainly annoying.

He hated the fact the man was more efficient than him and was able to find what he wanted before he could. He was maybe just two minutes later than the detectives, but it was still two minutes too long.

Parking his car across the street, he could only watch and wait for the two annoying disturbance to eventually get out of the building. He could have sent his men inside to take care of the detectives, but he could not risk an uproar at such time of the day with so many people around. Maybe in an action movie it would have happened, but Andy hated such stupid and careless methods.

He was one to enjoy being in the shadow. He loved the fact people were not aware of his existence or actions, but if he was engaging a confrontation with the detectives he knew it would cause nothing more than troubles.

He did not need to wonder how Eric Mun had found the place before him (his damn hacker was ing exceptional) and he knew too well Kim Dongwan would not take well if the detectives were finding this little girl before him. Someone else would not have care as long as the girl was found, but not Kim Dongwan. The attorney wanted the control and upper hand, and considering his actual state after Lee Minwoo had escaped, Andy knew he better find this girl first.

But here was Eric Mun being more efficient than him and he hated it.

“Sir. We should maybe get in.” Spoke up the man sitting beside him, and Andy just ignored his stupid idea.

His team knew him enough to not insist or even try anything as long as he was not ordering it, and still watching the building's entrance, he could only boil from the inside waiting for Mun and Park to be out.

His only hope was the two would not kill their only lead, or he would have to figure another way to find the girl.

He really hated such kind of situations.

      Fifteen minutes later, Eric Mun and Park Junjin eventually walked out of the building. Observing them, he noticed the look of annoyance on Mun's face and defeat in Park's eyes. He was curious to know what could have happened in here, and when the detectives disappeared in their car, he sent one of his own after them (even if he was certain it would lose the two at some point). Keeping track of people was the basic in the job and he knew it. Even if Mun would manage to lose his men in the end.

Once the detectives gone, he motioned for the three men inside the third car to watch the outside while the others followed him inside the building.

It looked poorly maintained but it was nothing surprising for gangsters working under Park ShiHoo. The bastard did not care about anyone but himself and certainly did not want to waste money on anything really comfortable for his lapdogs. Andy hated the guy, and not only for the obvious reasons. He would never have worked for the man even if his life had been threatened. The bastard was treating people like , and he was sure he would not be living better than these guys in this decrepit building.

It was surprisingly easy to enter the place and reach the office (even if they had to knock out two guys watching the corridor's entrance).

Andy could hear some kind of commotion inside the room, and listening for a few seconds, he just entered without being announced when nothing relevant came to his ears.

“What the hell ?” Snapped some guy behind a desk.

“What again ?” Followed another one walking closer before stopping net when Andy's men stepped inside the room.

“What the do you want ? Are you cops too ?” Shouted the one behind the desk, and Andy could not help the small grin forming on his lips.

“No.” He answered coldly. “But I'm looking for the same thing as them.” He added.

The man behind the desk (who he presumed was the chief around) glared daggers at him before standing up and walking around his desk.

“The is going on ? Who the are you ?”

Andy stared coldly at the man and did not answer. He always enjoyed his silence had such impact on people, and watching as the man gulped then looked around nervously at the five men in the room with him, he knew he was having the wanted effect on the man.

“Tell me where this little girl is !” He ordered then and the guy scoffed.

“Because you think I'll tell you ?”

Andy scanned the room and people before locking his gaze on one in particular.

“The two before us didn't hesitate to break his nose.” He began calmly with a nod towards the bleeding man. “I'll let you imagine then what we'll do to you if you don't give me what I want.”

The man gulped and stared at Andy in growing fear. He was certainly trying to keep his composure and presence in front of his guys, but Andy knew too well what was happening in his head. He knew he was trying to persuade himself Andy was just trying to scare him and he had nothing to fear. But they both knew how far he was ready to go, and they both knew what they would have to do.

Andy enjoyed the fact both of his options were in his liking, which was far from the case for the guy.

It was either he was giving him the wanted information and Park ShiHoo would retaliate for his betrayal, or he was staying quiet and Andy would torture him. All in all, the man was as good as dead, and he started considering just killing him before leaving. It would be merciful to do so knowing what was awaiting him, but Andy did not like to waste bullets, and certainly not on such kind of people.

“Okay man !” Spoke up the tall, scared less man beside the boss. “Just take it easy. I'll just tell you what we said to these cops.” Andy narrowed his eyes at the man and waited. “We don't know where's the girl. We just watched her and then someone came to take her, that's all. We don't know where she is. Look at us ! We're no one. We just take care of the no one wants to deal with.” The man his lips. “You've to believe me.”

Andy's head slightly tilted on the side at the words, “I have to believe you ?”

The guy gulped in fear and started sweating. Andy secretly enjoyed the effect he had on these people but never lost his poker face.

“I don't have to do anything but cut you open if you ever try to lie to me.”

“I'm not ! I'm not, I swear !”

Narrowing his eyes, Andy observed the guy he knew was named Seo MunJae and considered his every moves, breaths, blinks and body movements. He knew people well enough by now to recognize sincerity when he was seeing it, and there was no denying at the right moment MunJae was being scared out of his mind. Andy never understood how such cowards could be part of any criminal organization, but he guessed everyone needed disposable resources at some point, and this Seo MunJae was just that. Even if he did not know it himself.

“Well. Where can I find this other person who took the girl ?”

MunJae swallowed thickly and looked away, “I... I don't know.”

Andy breathed a smirk out before staring coldly at the man.

“Please, I swear. I don't know. None of us does.”

Andy looked around at the others almost cowering under his gaze before looking back at MunJae and his now quiet boss.

“What if I kill you one by one until someone eventually gives me the wanted information ?”

He felt a common shiver cross the room and loved it.

“Please man. We don't know anything. I swear to God.”

“What about the person taking the girl ? Did you contact them, talked to them ?”

MunJae shook his head, “No. ShiHoo takes care of such kind of business. He never let worthless people like us in charge of anything. We sincerely don't know anything, anything at all.”

Andy stared at him before saying, “What about the girl then ? What do you think happened to her ?”

Munjae gulped and averted his gaze. Andy could tell just with one look the man knew more than he certainly wanted about ShiHoo's business but was too afraid to even dare to have an opinion about it.

“Do I really have to do it ?” He sighed when the man took too much time, and at the gasps of fear he heard when he pointed his gun at a random guy in the room, he knew these people were just the bottom of bottom of ShiHoo's organization and would not be of any real help.

“No, please !” Panicked MunJae before looking at the guy held at gun point. “I don't know where this girl is, I swear.”

“It wasn't my question.” He answered with cold eyes boring through the guy. “I asked you if you knew what could have happened to this girl ?” MunJae swallwoed thickly. “Just answer me. I know you're perfectly aware of what's happening to kids like her.”

“I...” He did not want to answer and Andy did not have time to waste, so he cocked his gun and started pressing the trigger. “Wait ! Wait. Okay ! I... she's certainly somewhere overseas by now. They rarely keep Korean kids around and send them overseas. It's certainly what happened to this girl, or we wouldn't have watched her waiting for someone to come and take her.”

Andy nodded slowly, “What do you know about the ones taking them away ?”

“I...” MunJae shivered, knowing whatever he would say could sign his death warrant. “Nothing, really. They're random guys we never saw before.”

“Are you saying ShiHoo sends new guys every times ?”

“Yes.” MunJae was being honest, and Andy hated such fact.

“Okay.” He let a second pass then asked, “What about ShiHoo ? Where can I find him ?”

“I don't know.”

Andy pulled the trigger and the random guy fell in a cry of pain, “I was nice enough to spare his life.” He shifted his aim on another person. “But it won't happen again.”

“Oh ! What the hell man ? No, please just stop ! I told you everything I knew, why the hell are you doing this ?”

“Because you're wasting my time and I can't allow it. Now, just tell me where I can find ShiHoo !”

“I... I don't know. I swear, I don't know. Just tell him !” He begged his boss staring wordlessly ever since.

“I...” He blinked and snapped out of it. “He's telling the truth. I'm just in contact with a man named Jung. I don't know anything about him and only get calls from him when he's a job for us.”

“What about emergencies ?”

“We've a number for that, but it changes at every new jobs. We'd one to watch this girl, but it's not working anymore.”

Andy was feeling these guys would get him nowhere, but he hated the fact he would just leave like that without anything useful.

“Okay.” He said lowly before lowering his gun and putting it back in its hostler. “Let's go !”

His men followed him out of the office, and once at the corridor's corner, the guys in the office eventually went back to life and started yelling and snapping at each other for their shot friend. Andy knew they would not risk coming after them, excepted if they were idiots, and once out of the building he ordered to the three outside to stay around to keep an eye on them before sitting back in the car.

“Sir.” He said as soon as Kim Dongwan answered. “We don't have any more lead to the girl.”

He heard the attorney curse softly and breathe harder, and he knew the man was trying to contain his anger. It was surprising to see him in such state, but Andy could remember witnessing something similar before, and he knew it was not the best moment to fail his job.

“What about Minwoo ?”

“YoonJae's still looking for him.” They both knew it meant they had nothing so far and would certainly not have anything more in the near future.

Kim Dongwan breathed a couple more curses before asking, “What about Mun and Park ? Where are they right now ?”

“I've sent my guys on their trail.”

“Find them ! Find them and find Minwoo, Andy ! I want him back !”

“Yes sir.”

 


 

      Junjin was driving quietly, but he was sincerely nervous and curious. He did not know what would happen now, but he was curious to know what Eric's plan was from there, even if he did not dare ask him so far. Usually, he would certainly not have been able to read the man so easily, but at the right moment (even if Eric tried to hide it) it was clear as crystal how annoyed and worried the older man was.

Junjin had never thought he would see the man in such state one day, and he had no real idea how to deal with Eric when he was like that. Should he say something ? Comfort him ? Joke around with him ? Shut the up and just drive ? He did not know and it made him freaking nervous.

“They're still following us.” He said and Eric grunted.

“Ignore them.”

Junjin almost sighed but restrained himself in time, “What do we do now ? You want me to call Hyesung ?”

“No !”

Why was Eric so worried about calling the hacker ? Junjin sincerely wondered for a second, then he remembered Minwoo was with Hyesung, waiting for them to find Hyeri, his baby girl and reason for living.

! Junjin was feeling so horrible at the thought they had failed so miserably and had no idea where the little girl was. He hated himself for being unable to save her and hated himself even more at the thought the only thing he would have to offer to Minwoo would be 'I'm sorry'.

It was so freaking enraging and he wanted ShiHoo's head. The bastard was good at hiding though and knew how to erase the traces leading to him. The guy was smart and too freaking skilful. It was horrific to think such kind of guy was at the head of such awful crime organization.

Junjin never hated someone that much (even this Andy guy who tortured him), and he promised himself he would risk his live to avenge this little girl.

 


 

      Hyesung wanted to call Eric, but he could not, because the older man never liked to be bothered in the middle of a job. He knew how risky it could be to call Eric at such moment. He did not want to be responsible of the man's demise, and what better to get him killed than send his phone off ? Hyesung knew too well calling Eric on a job was a bad idea, but Minwoo was getting so freaking impatient.

He tried to stay away from the shorter man and busy himself with his computer (even if he had nothing much to do but wait for the data he was not even sure anymore were useful to unload), but he could feel Minwoo's presence around and this insisting gaze he was directing at him.

He never liked to be under attention and even less stranger's one, but where else could he go ? He did not want to leave Minwoo alone besides that in fear the man would do something stupid (like running away) and he hated the responsibility he had.

He never liked to be in charge of others and even less in such kind of situations, but here he was, watching over some guy he was feeling freaking awkward around. If only he was not so aware of the fact Minwoo's daughter was certainly dead or gone, things would maybe be better. But he could not help feel so uncomfortable each time he was looking at the shorter man's pained eyes.

He could relate too well with him and hated it.

He knew too well the pain of waiting, of ignoring what had happened to a love one, of fearing to lose them and never see them again, of feeling so guilty that it was eating you from the inside.

Hyesung knew these feelings too well and did not like to be confronted like this to them.

Mostly when he was so awkward and with absolutely no clue to what to do around Minwoo to make him feel better. Was he even supposed to help him feel better ? His daughter was missing, either dead or gone forever. Who the hell could make someone undergoing such thing feel better ? He did not want to be this guy. He could not be this guy because he was not good in such role.

! Where the hell were Eric and Junjin ?

Maybe he should call them.


 

      Time passed and Hyesung was still contemplating calling one of the two idiots when his computer suddenly died down.

Confused, he quickly felt anxious at the realization of what had just happened. 

"Minwoo !" He called, standing up and gathering what he could in his backpack. "We've to go." He said hurriedly when the shorter man appeared in the room. 

Taken aback then quickly scared, Minwoo watched Hyesung move around and wondered if he could do anything to help. 

“What's going on ?” He asked, but Hyesung mostly ignored him as he went right and left around the room. "Hyesung !"

"Let's go !" He snapped back, grabbing Minwoo's arm to drag him after him.

"What's goin..." He was cut off abruptly by the doors at the back and front of the house breaking apart and letting inside too many people at once.

Freezing in place, Hyesung and Minwoo watched with big worried eyes as these men entered the place and circled them. They were not sure if they were about to die or not, and Minwoo felt dread wash over him when he spotted familiar faces amongt these people. 

At this right moment, he presumed they were dead walking men. 



Not much Minwoo, but I hope you enjoyed it ^^ 

I wanted to write some Andy, and I had fun writing him like that =))