Courage

One Truth, One Hundred Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
It had been three months since Hanbyul, Hanbin's sister, died. It had been three months since Hanbin, Dara, Jiyong, Bobby and I broke in to President Lee Byunghun's office. It had been three peaceful months; no blood, no deaths, no gunshots, no running. It had been three months since I last met Hanbin.   And it had been three horrible months.   I couldn't sleep well, I had no appetite; hell, I had a hard time waking up and going to lectures and working.   All I could think about was Hanbin and what was left of his family. Hanbin's dad, Mayor Kim Jungjoo, was now in jail for something he didn't do. Mayor Kim was going to face his first trial soon. Though the general public was on Jungjoo's side, there wasn't much they could do; President Lee was one evil bastard who was ready to "take care" of anyone publicly supporting Jungjoo.   I never saw Hanbin in campus. The boy was never home, and his phone number had been deactivated.   When Hanbin heard that Hanbyul died, he stopped functioning as a human being. He asked us not to continue with our mission and he disappeared into the night, and I never saw him since.   "Hayi, are you listening?"   It was Dara. I was still interning at Seoul Post. Dara and I never spoke of the president or the mayor, or Hanbin. Dara, Bobby, Jiyong and I would often meet for coffee or talk over lunch, but we avoided discussions about the president, the mayor and Hanbin. We knew we were being watched and we couldn't risk a slip of tongue.   After that night, I would see black-suited men following me from every corner. But the men have gradually disappeared through the months. I guess the president was gradually letting his guard down knowing that we never spoke of him or that night.   Dara still had the documents stored somewhere safe, though we knew we would never be using it.   "What?" I snapped back to reality.   "You're covering Mayor Kim's first trial tomorrow. Make sure you bring your own lunch and an extra phone battery because it's definitely going to be a long trial," Dara said, carefully watching me. "Got it?"   "What? Mayor Kim?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter