Undercover

One Truth, One Hundred Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oh my god that's Dara," I said quietly to myself.

Even with a wig and dressed like a waiter, Dara's features stood out so much that I would know her even from 10 miles away.

Dressed in black and white, she served food to the guests skillfully. What was she doing here?.....

 

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Dara finally got to our table. Although she was smiling (or acting like so), I could trace the panic in her face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her back calmly, watching her pour apple cider in a wine glass in front of me.

A lot of questions for Dara were running through my mind, but I had to restrain myself because I knew me and Hanbin were particularly being watched. I had always been suspicious of Dara ever since she demanded that I didn't snoop into the president's business.

"I'm undercover. I'm on a mission," Dara gritted furiously through her smile.

Undercover? Mission? For who?

"So am I," I bluffed, although I wasn't really sure why I was there either.

Hanbin watched us, his head bobbing back on forth from me and Dara, confused. He shot me a questioning look, which I was too focused on Dara to respond to.

"I told you not to meddle into things like this," Dara said, violently setting a handkerchief on my lap. "This is serious business. They will kill you if you get caught."

Like I hadn't thought of that.

"Meet me in the kitchen in after you finish dinner. Bring the governor's son," Dara said through a visibly forced smile as she shifted onto another table.

Hanbin waited until dinner was over to finally ask me a question.

"Who the hell was that?" Hanbin whispered calmly.

"She's my boss at Seoul Post."

"What the hell was she doing here?"

"Let's find out."

----

Hanbin and I sneaked out of the ballroom and into the kitchen to look for Dara, who took me by the wrist (and I grabbed Hanbin's in panic) and dragged me into a cramped bathroom for cooks located deep inside the kitchen.

It was so cramped that Hanbin had to put his arm around me to save space (and Dara shot us suspicious looks).

Despite it being a bathroom for the president's cook, the bathroom was so narrow and probably one of the dirtiest bathrooms I've ever been in. I held up my gown so it wouldn't touch the bathroom floor; Lord knows what's been on here.

"So you're really working together," Dara said. It wasn't so much question but a confirmation.

"Yes," I said quietly. It was a strange situation, the three of us -- Hanbin and I wearing fancy outfits and Dara wearing a waitress attire -- cramped inside a bathroom in the president's house.

"Has anything strange happened since the Dispatch article was released?" she asked the two of us this time. She scrunched her eyebrows together, making her look like a furious rabbit.

I opened my mouth to speak but Hanbin cut me before I could say a word.

"Why don't you first tell u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter