Epiphany

One Truth, One Hundred Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I couldn't sleep that night, but this time for all the wrong reasons.

I lied down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I kept replaying the argument I had with Kim Hanbin earlier. We never talked to each other in class but he called me a sitting duck and said my writing was crap. Before that day, we've only exchanged less than ten words to each other; when Hanbin asked to borrow a pen during the exams.

"Do you have an extra pen I can borrow?" Hanbin had said to me that day, to which I nodded and gave him a pen. I never saw that pen again.

I was also curious about what Hanbin had said about Mayor Kim Jungjoo being a good man, unlike what I thought him to be.

"Of course Hanbin would say Mayor Kim is a good man. Mayor Kim is his father," I muttered angrily to myself.

I tried not to care, but Hanbin's words kept ringing through my ears and the image of him in tears flickered in my mind.

"Because he's my father and I know for a fact that he's a good man and a good leader," Hanbin had said.

Was I wrong about Mayor Kim? Was I blinded by hate? It was 1 o'clock in the morning and I took out my laptop and Googled Mayor Kim.

There were thousands of pages in WikiLeaks on Mayor Kim from confidential documents courtesy of South Korea's National Intelligence Service. I carefully read each page, curious to know more about his past in the government.

After two straight hours of reading, reached page 167 and found out that in 2011, Mayor Kim was a judge in the South Korea supreme court.

He had sentenced a former Seoul Mayor Lee Donghyun to 15 years in jail for corrupting $50 trillion from the state budget. Coincidentally, Lee Donghyun was the cousin of South Korea's current President Lee Byunghun. Three years ago, Lee Byunghun was only a minister.

Did no one know the connection between former mayor Lee Donghyun and President Lee Byunghun? Did no one in South Korea read WikiLeaks?

This was the case that was written by Dara. This was the legendary article Dara wrote that everyone was still talking about.

I put the puzzle together and then it hit me.

"Oh my God. Hanbin was right," I whispered to myself.

I picked up the phone to call Dara to tell her about my discovery. It was 2.30 in the morning and Dara must have been sleeping but I called her anyway.

Dara finally picked up after my fourth call and said, "It better be good if you're relentlessly calling me at 2.30 in the morning."

"Dara! IthinkMayorKimwasframedbythepresidentbecausethepresident'scousinwasinvolvedinthecorruptioncasethatyouwroteaboutfouryearsagoMayorKimisinnocent--" I said. breathlessly.

"Hey! Slow down! You think Mayor Kim was framed by the president? That's a serious accusation, Hayi," Dara said sternly.

"I know, I know, but it all makes sense now! Mayor Kim was the judge for that case you wrote about. And former mayor Lee Donghyun is the cousin of President Lee Byunghun! It would make sense that President Lee Byunghun is avenging his cousin, right?" I said.

Dara stayed quiet for a minute. I knew she was thinking hard.

"I can't do anything about this information until you prove it. You can't accuse someone of being evil over an epiphany you had at 2 in the morning," Dara said.

"I know, but I'm 100% certain! The pieces are all there!" said desperately.

She went quiet again.

"Even if it's all there, there is nothing we can do. Look, Hayi, don't go off looking for dirt on the president. That's a dangerous territory. You don't want to go there, trust me," Dara said.

Something in her tone made me think that she had tried this before. Something in her tone made me think she wanted to say m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter