The Past, Present and Future (A Minji Side Story)

Vulnerable

Ahhhh... Today's Minji's birthday.... Soooo to celebrate, here's a side story revelation for you guys. Hope you like it! Happy birthday M-I-N-Z-Y!!! Yay! :)

 

‘It was more than seven years ago when I learnt about my condition. I didn’t even knew that I’d make it this far. Seeing the mountains, being close to the earth is the last thing I thought I’d do or wouldn’t even be able to do. I never knew that there’s more to life… I will never know if we didn’t become close to them… If I hadn’t met him.’ These words were lingering in Minji’s thoughts as she sat on a log near their bonfire, satisfied at the sight of her founded and new found friends.

 

 

Seven years back...

 

“UNNNIIEEEE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

 

Those words echoed in the whole area as the fire that was eating the whole Gong's rest house in Jeju Island grew bigger and bigger. That was supposed to be a happy summer outing for Minji and her family, which turned out to be the most tragic moment for them. Everything was scary, shady and frightful. She never thought that it would happen to her… Her parents never thought that something worst than losing a child could happen to them.

 

Three days after the adversity.

 

“Dong-wook, is she alright?” Mrs Gong asked the man in a white suit who is also a close relative to them.

 

“She’s fine now, but there are some things that I need to discuss with the both of you.” He stated.

 

“Is it that bad?” Mr Gong asked further.

 

“It would be if she cannot control herself.” The doctor answered. The whole room was filled with silence. It was the most unbearable night that a parent could go through.

 

“We’re listening.” Mr Gong’s voice was hoarse when he said that.

 

“We did some examinations on Minji and everything was alright… It’s really hard for me to address this to you cause you’re my family and she has been so close to me, but I’ll get straight right to the point.” Dong-wook stated and paused for a while before saying… “We found out that she has a heart ailment which can trigger and get worse if she can’t get a hold of her emotions. Whether it’s happiness or sadness, she can’t be anywhere near the extremities.” He added.

 

At that Mrs Gong broke out and cried so hard that Mr Gong could only hold her tight. Dong-wook knew that it’s difficult for them to face since it has only been days when they lost Minji’s elder sister from the fire. But it’s all for the best. He needed them to look after Minji.

 

“I’m really sorry uncle…” Dong-wook muttered.

 

“It’s not your fault. We didn’t know earlier. Please let us know the details.” Mr Gong uttered in words of sorrow.

 

It was a gloomy day as the three sat down and discussed all the things they need to take note about Minji’s condition. They have to prepare her, as the time that she reached the age of twenty-one she will have to go under the knife. Far from their knowledge was a girl who overheard it all. From the part where her sister died to the part that they were discussing about her illness, she listened carefully. She did it like a good girl and came out as soon as they finished their conversation. The three were in a shock since they didn’t know how to confront her. She just stood there and stated…

 

“I will still be the good girl that you’re always proud of, but in one condition… I want to live like any normal girl would do, until I turn twenty-one. And uncle Dong-wook, I want you to be the one to do it.” Everyone in the room was silenced at those words and was surprised at how Minji took everything wisely. She was still young yet, she has decided to keep herself from sorrow. She knew that if she broke down at that time, her parents would get all worked up and will not agree to her conditions. It’s the only way she has. That night at the hospital room, whilst everyone was out to take care of things for her discharge, she cried for the last time.

 

All her days, she decided to trust a few people with her heart… only her parents, her uncle Doctor Dong-wook and her childhood friends Chaerin and Taehyun. She vowed not to love anyone for it will only cause pain. But everything changed when she met him…

 

“Minji-ah… Minji-ah. Yah! Minji!” Minji snapped out of her thoughts of the past as she looked at the person in front of her who was stating her name. To her surprise, she was face to face with Mino.

 

“W-what do you want?!” Minji shakily said while blushing.

 

“Wow, you change you’re mood a lot huh. A while ago you were crying out my name and now… Yah, Jinwoo! I need a blanket here! Someone’s giving me the cold shoulder again.” Mino mockingly said which made everyone laugh. Minji blushed but she didn’t even bother to get annoyed anymore when Mino took her by the hand to help her stand up.

 

“Hey, I saw a tear at the corner of your eye while you were looking at us. What’s up? Anything you want to share?” Mino sheepishly asked that surprised Minji. She didn’t even knew that she was about to cry again.

 

“Why were you even looking huh?!” Minji asked annoyed.

 

“Hah! I wasn’t even looking you know. I was just trying to call you cause food’s ready.” He answered.

 

“Come to think of it, I’m hungry already.” Minji shyly said and left them two stunned when they heard each other’s stomach growl loud.

 

They did laugh it out as Mino offered his hand to Minji to her back to their friends who were next to the bonfire as they call them out. She didn’t hesitate and walked back hand in hand with him.

 

While she looked at her friends and Mino on her side, she thought that what’s important is how she lives her life at present for the future can wait.