First Meeting and Puppy Love

Vulnerable

It was around seven in the morning when little Song Mino woke up from the sound of a beautiful hum. Along with that was the sound of the birds chirping happily. As he opened his eyes he realized that he was in a not so familiar place. It’s a huge room but all he can see are white walls. To his left is a dining set which can occupy four people and in the front are some white sofas and a coffee table. He didn’t bother to look at some other things anymore as he closed his eyes again to hear the sound of the sweet hum that he was hearing all the while. He then followed the voice and sensed that it was coming from the windows to his right. As he stood up to look outside, there he saw a little girl picking flowers right next to the windows of the room that he was in. She was with a cute little basset hound and a few doves right next to her who are pecking on a few bits of bread crumbs which he thinks she tossed for them. The girl was as lovely as her voice. The sun beaming to her very white complexion while her shiny black hair reflects rays of sunshine makes her glow even more. Mino then tried to move his head further out of the window to have a better view of her and to hear her voice louder when she was cut off with the crashing sound of the flower vase that was sitting on the window next to him. Hence, he was even more tantalized when he was able see her face upfront.

“Hello” the little girl said with a very happy smile. I’m sorry, it seems like I woke you up.” She followed trough.

 

“Uh, no you didn’t. I think it’s just about time to wake up.” Little Mino replied.

 

“But I think I still did. So as a sorry I give you this.” She said as she handed a circular band made of flowers. “I hope you get better soon.” She added.

 

“Huh?! Why is that?” Mino said in shock.

 

“Well you are confined here in our hospital.” An answer that he thought he didn’t want to hear.

 

“What?! I don’t even feel like I’m sick or anything.” He hysterically said.

 

“Then that’s good. But I think my uncle needs to check on you cause you don’t seem to remember anything.” She said while humming away.

 

Mino was trying to call her again but wasn’t able to stop her.

 

‘So I’m in a hospital.’ He thought to himself. The little boy then tried to recall all the things that happened but he ended up cracking his head in awe to remember. As he pace from right to left and from left to right it then hit him. ‘Where is Mom?’ He remembered that they were in a car accident a few days back or so. He then hurried to the door when it hit his head open.

 

“Surprise!” A loud shout was heard as Mino’s stepfather Mr Kwon entered the room. Yes his stepfather. Mino’s real dad passed away when he was still a baby and it was just about a year ago when her mother remarried him. But still he took him in and little Mino eventually accepted that he is his new father but decided to keep his own last name for a while longer as a keepsake of his late father.

 

“Wait Dad! How can you even say surprise cheerfully? Where is Mom?” Said Mino browsing if there is anyone else coming in.

 

“Chill son! It’s not the end of the world yet.” The man replied with a big smile on his face.

 

Mino was supposed to scold him when he heard two voices becoming louder and familiar coming through the door. As it opened, he totally forgot scolding his Dad and jumped for joy when his Mom came in with his big stepbrother Jiyong.

 

“So you’re okay too, Mom!” The little boy cheered.

 

“Yes I am! I’m a cat you know. Nine lives remember? Ho! Ho!” She bragged as the little one whined about her childish attitude.

 

As they settle inside the room, they talked about all the things that had happened and realized that the accident was only last night. So much for the fancy overnight stay at a hospital suite! Dad was just over reacting to what happened. Well Mino still can’t argue with his actions though. It was his Dad anyways who was a really worrywart person and he admires him for that.

 

As for the incident, it was a crash with another car in the highway. Mino and his Mom were supposed to meet with his Dad and brother at a restaurant for dinner. She was speeding at the right limit when a drunk driver in front of them hit the breaks that they hadn’t had enough time to go slower. In the end the two of them crashed right at the back of the other car which triggered the airbags out that made Mino pass out. What can he do? He’s still an eight year old kid. Not still strong enough to endure the airbag. His mom on the other hand was in a bit of shock but was able to get a hold his Dad to pick them up in the area.

 

As they giggled and laughed at the Father of the house’ over reactive move in putting Mino and his mother in a nice suite they were cut off with a knock on the door. It was the doctor who’s looking after Mino.

 

“Good day. It seems like we have here a bright family conversation. So how are you feeling now Mrs Kwon?” He entered the conversation.

 

“I’m very well now thanks to you.” she responded.

 

“Well that leaves little Mr Song here. So how are you feeling now child?” he turned to me.

 

“I’m good too.” the boy shyly said.

 

“I bet you are. My niece just went straight to me and told me that you are awake so I came to see you.” The man in white suit said.

 

‘So he’s the uncle of that girl’ Mino said to himself while wondering where she is now. His mind was trying to figure it out when the same man in suit spoke as if he knew what he was thinking. “She’s out in the garden if you’re going to look for her.” Mino blushed as to what he heard which made everybody giggled.

 

“W-what?” the boy stuttered. “I just wanted to say thanks to her since she call Mr Doctor to see me.” he continued while browsing for the new toy that he remembered that was in his bag and took the flower band that she has given as well.

 

“Is that from her?” the elder brother asked while eyeing at the flower band that Mino is holding on to. The little boy was flustered when Jiyong asked but decided to rush out of the door as he was a bit embarrassed with the way they were teasing him. He can still hear their giggles as he walks through the hallways out to the garden. Hence he only thought to himself that he was lucky that he still has the new bunny stuffed toy that his mother made which he was supposed to show his brother but then decided to give it to the girl as thanks.

 

The sun was even brighter than it was when he woke up about an hour ago. The garden was small but filled with bright colored freesias and lavenders. There were a few weeds and even daisies. It was a very calming view and if he had known better he’d stay all afternoon sleeping there, but he doesn’t have all day long to stay since he will be discharged at two in the afternoon after a few tests.

 

‘Now where is she?’ Mino thought to himself. The place was small but she’s was not there. He tried to go around again twice but wasn’t able to find her when he decided to lie down just to have a nice and calm moment of peace. As he was about to get back up he noticed a small pink ribbon among the bushes which doesn’t grow any flowers. He was dazed as to what it was so he went in to check. As he walked nearer and nearer he then heard a familiar voice is becoming clearer. As he stood right next to the bush he then realized that it was the same hum from the girl earlier. Trying to figure out where it was coming from he leaned in to the bush where the ribbon was attached which he thought was quite solid. To his shock he stumbled in it and was surprised with the scenery. It was a secret garden at the back of the bush. The area has a circular ground shape which was planted with red roses and white lilies. In the middle of the garden was a cherry tree. More surprised than he was with the scenery, he saw her having little picnic as to what little Mino thinks the girl was doing with the same puppy in which he think is her pet. She was even cuter underneath those cherry blossoms while the sunrays and shadows battle on her cheeks. Her shiny hair was even more awesome with a red headband that makes her look more like snow white. Mind you that Mino doesn’t even like watching that film but looking at that little girl makes him feel like he is drawn in her fairytale.

 

As he stood up and walked towards her, he accidentally tripped on a vine that eventually made him squeal a loud ‘ouch’ that surprised the birds in the area. It was amazing that she was still calm where as the birds seem to be in panic. If it was Mino he’ll be devastated that someone else is in his secret place. What even amazed him more is that she didn’t bother at all. She helped him get up and even invited him in her little picnic.

 

 “So you’re leaving now huh?” As they sat on her little blanket, she asked softly with a smile.

 

“Yeah… and I thought I should come and thank you for calling your uncle for me.” Mino replied.

 

“That’s good to hear. I hope you don’t get to come back here ‘cause you know that hospitals are only for the sick people.” She said while pouring a cup of juice which she is using as a tea for her pretend tea party picnic.

 

“Well if it’s for sick people then, why are you here?” the little boy asked while sipping juice.

 

“No reason.” She straightly said. You can feel the silence as the wind blew in Mino’s ear. But she seems to not mind the silence until she broke it. “Cookies?”

 

At that Mino declined. The little girl noticed that Mino was puzzled with her reasons of staying in the hospital. Mino was about to ask again when she spoke.

 

“I like my uncle’s place. I get to know a lot of people here and I get to see this place always. This is where me and my puppy plays a lot. I also love the flowers specially the lilies and roses.” Mino was just sipping juice when the girl continued. “My Dad is a designer and my Mom is a model. They always travel. So whenever they’re not in town I stay with my uncle.”

 

“Just like me! my parents are travelling always too, so I’m left with my Grandma and brother.” Mino said in a haste.

 

At that they looked at each other and was surprised with the commonality. They giggled and continued with random conversations where Mino got to know that she loves figure toys. Mino was happy about knowing what the girl like and eventually told her that his Mom owns a toy company which made her asks him more stuff about how it was made.

 

They were going on with their so called deep conversation about toys when Mino heard a voice just coming right from behind. It was the doctor; he was picking them up so Mino can go on with his last tests before going home. At first Mino was confused why the Doctor knew about the secret place but was so happy thinking about his conversation with the pretty girl so he didn’t bother asking why.

 

Before they went back Mino gave little miss pretty the bunny which gave a bigger smile to her face. It was more than enough but Mino felt even happier with her thank you hug. The little girl then said that she’ll just stay a while longer cause she still needs to pack up her things so Mino went ahead. Mino stopped for a while and looked back.

 

“By the way, my name is Song Mino!” the boy loudly said. He was then caught by surprise when the girl looked back with a big smile on her face while being shined by the sunlight.

 

“I’m Gong Minji! Ah… and don’t forget my dog Wiggle!” She yelled out. “I’ll see you off later” She waved and he waved back.

 

After the last tests were done, she did send Mino off with her uncle as she promised.

 

“I’ll come visit here tomorrow.” Mino said.

 

“Sure! You can bring your brother too.” She replied.

 

“We’ll do that!” Mino and Jiyong answered in chorus.

 

As they set off, Mino never thought that it was his last meeting with her. He and Jiyong did push their Mom and Dad to visit the next day but they were busy. A week after they left the hospital the two were able to get back only to know that Minji already flew to America.

 

*Since I made up the pairing by drawing names, I did some research with Minozy or Minmin ship and I'm kinda feeling it now. Please support me and hope to hear your comments. See you on the next chapter.