Awkward Times

My Kitten

Hello again~ ^^

Just passing to thank all the people who reviewed, subscribed and voted. Gosh, 52 subscribers and 6 reviews... I'm shocked! I wil tell you guys something... I actually cried in happiness because of all support.

I really, really hope that this chapter won't disappoint... I worked hard.

Sorry for my English mistakes and please, feel free to tell me where they are so I can change it.(... If someone wants to be a beta... Well... Pretty please?...)

Enjoy~

*Oh, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


 

There’s a faint click sound coming from the door when Hongbin unlocks it and enters his apartment. His eyes search for Leo, finding him in the kitchen, a mouthwatering smell finally hitting his nose. He lets a smile stretch his lips, taking off his shoes and walking calmly to the kitchen.

“I’m home Leo-yah!” he announces, stopping at a fair distance from Leo, who nods in acknowledgement, not bothering to turn around. Sighing, Hongbin tries asking “How was your day?”

“Normal”

“You did something interesting?” Hongbin tries again, hoping to get more than one word from that pretty mouth…

“No” … and fails as Leo’s voice whispers his already customary one-word answer.

“Ohh… What are you cooking?” one more try couldn’t hurt…

“Dinner” … but it did. It’s been two weeks since he brought Leo home, and two weeks since the ‘bathtub scene’ – as the photographer refers to the bathroom incident – but in all these fourteen days, the only thing Hongbin can say for sure is: Leo is avoiding him. He doesn’t stay in the same place as Hongbin for more than fifteen minutes, is always locked in his room and speaks only when Hongbin asks him something, but his answers are never more than 1, 2 words. The younger also knows that the hybrid cleans the house and cooks when he’s absent, he being a bit earlier today proving the latter.

It’s maddening and Hongbin doesn’t know what to do. His hand unconsciously touches the now almost completely healed wound on his neck and jaw, felling the slight crumpled skin underneath his fingers. He feels guilty. If he hadn’t touched Leo’s back, if he had controlled his curiosity and his desire – the so intense, so fierce need – to touch the boy, nothing of this would have happened and maybe Leo wouldn’t run away from him like he was some sort of plague.

He enters his room and notices that everything is the way he left before going to the Ahn’s weeding photo shoot; clothes hanging from his chair and scattered on the floor, bed still messy and wardrobe wide open. His room is the only place in the apartment Leo doesn’t enter, and this somehow just makes Hongbin sadder with the situation he finds himself. The catboy hates him, he’s certain. But then, he has all the right. Hongbin isn’t the best ‘master’, ‘owner’ or whatever people who have catboys/catgirls are called. He thinks he should Leo leave, but he can’t.

Hongbin says to himself that is because Leo won’t go back to the Hybrid Shelter – there’s the problem with his age and he clearly hates the place as much as Hakyeon and Sanghyuk – and because the streets are a harsh place that he won’t let the catboy leave.

Not even he buys this excuse. He’s selfish, and he wants Leo by his sid-…

His stomach grumbles, breaking his rather serious thoughts. A small humorless chuckle escapes his lips; food comes first, as Wonshik likes to remember. Food and .

Normally Hongbin ignores the last one, being the only single one in the group and all. He decides that thinking so hard with an empty stomach won’t lead him to any significant place. Also, he can’t think the worst of his actual situation, he has to stay positive. He and Leo are passing through the awkward phase that comes right before the one which they get all comfy next each other. He hopes, at least.

There’s a soft knock coming from the door, and excitement builds in his body. Leo is looking for him! Willingly! “Come in, Leo-yah!” his voice can’t hide his emotions, but he doesn’t care. Leo is looking willingly for him!

Oh, maybe the odds are in my side, after all? he thinks.

A small crack is opened, revealing a bit of Leo’s pale and beautiful face, surrounded by long black hair. His visible cat-like eye stares the ground, and this is another of Hongbin’s regrets. If in the day he adopted Leo the hybrid’s eyes were direct and showed every emotion clearly, since the accident they are cold, dark pits of pure nothing that stare at everything but Hongbin’s own eyes.

“Dinner’s ready” Leo says, barely audible. It’s been two weeks, but the photographer can’t stop thinking that the catboy’s voice is like silk, smooth and soft. It makes his hands itch with the need to touch Leo’s face, to caress those pink lips with his own, to see if the boy makes noises even sweeter than his voice…

Bad thoughts. Bad, bad thoughts!

“Okay. Let’s go and eat Leo’s delicious food!” he exclaims, hurrying to the door, not being fast enough to caught Leo, who had leaved. There’s true in his statement: Leo’s food is indeed delicious.

He goes to the kitchen, seeing the counter filled with dishes, side dishes and plates. Leo stands near it, waiting patiently for Hongbin to sit. When he does, the catboy follows.

They eat in silence, the sound of metal clicking resonating in the space.

Hongbin is not entirely uncomfortable with it, but isn’t comfortable either. He attempts to maintain his attention in his food, but his eyes are often drawn to Leo’s small actions; like closing his eyes when he tastes something he especially likes or how he his lips to wipe the sauce – again awaking Hongbin’s urges –; his tail wiggles happily behind him, showing his satisfaction with the food. When he’s eating it’s the moment Leo lower his defenses, and Hongbin sees flashes of that somewhat insecure and shy catboy he picked in the Shelter not so long ago.

Looking at the wall clock, it’s a surprise for Hongbin that seventeen minutes already passed since they started eating. It’s a record.

Somehow, Hongbin wants to keep Leo close for more time.

“So, Leo-yah…” he starts. One of Leo’s ears clicks lightly in his direction, and Hongbin can tell he is listening, even if his eyes are focused in the food. “Your hair must be inconvenient, falling on your eyes and all. What do you think of me to taking you to a saloon?” the idea of seeing Leo’s face properly makes a big dimpled smile appear in Hongbin’s face.

Leo’s visible eye fixes in his face, and a small blush emerges in his face, tinting it light pink. It’s cute, and is a different reaction Hongbin expected. The catboy bites his lips, his pearly white fangs seen for a second. “You don’t need to” his cold answer makes the smile die in Hongbin’s lips.

“Why? You like your hair like this?”

Leo twists a black lock in his finger. He’s thinking; eyes focused in an imaginary point “Not exactly”

“Then why?” Hongbin presses further.

“Just because” Leo frowns, clearly annoyed with the tentative small talk, the blush in his face darkening in embarrass but his eyes maintaining his cool gaze. He stands, picking his empty bowl and leaving it on the kitchen sink. He exits the place without another word.

Hongbin runs his hand through his hair, tousling it and cursing under his breath, his eyes squeezed shut.

Why he never seems to say the right thing?

.

.

.

.

The next day he arrives even earlier. It’s a quarter past two, and the sun is still bright, a normal characteristic of spring, the actual season.

It’s as silent as normally, his apartment. Leo is a very quiet hybrid – oh, really? Hongbin mocks mentally, no one noticed – and Jaehwan already asked him once if the boy’s still alive. Sanhyuk stays in the house as well, and even he with his potent ears can’t listen to anything. What proves the existent of the catboy is Hakyeon’s visits at least two times per week and the smell of food that arises the minute the sun starts to set.

Jaehwan also sarcastically said that Hongbin looks chubby, result of so much good food every day.

“Leo-yah?” Hongbin calls, not seeing the boy in the kitchen or in the living room. He enters the corridor, still no sight of the boy. The door for Leo’s room is open, and there’s no one in there. His room has its door slightly open, but the lights are off and he knows Leo doesn’t enter his space.

Panic is already creeping its way through Hongbin’s spine as he continues to slowly walk in the bathroom’s direction – the last place left in the house –, making him shiver at the simple idea of Leo gone. His hands are balled into tight fist, his knuckles white with the pressure; he can taste blood in his mouth. He hadn’t realized that he had bitten the inside of his cheek, making it bleed a bit.

The moment he reaches the bathroom a relieved sigh escapes his mouth, and he releases the air he didn’t know he was holding.

He contains the urge to squeal before the scene displayed right in front of his face. Leo has an adorable pout in his lips; brows frowned in concentration as he holds a scissor in one hand and a strand of black hair in the other. The previous long hair is now disheveled, long parts mixing with short and medium ones, sliced locks messily covering the sink underneath him.

“Leo-yah!” he exclaims, successfully gaining the hybrid’s attention. Leo lets a small sound – almost a whimper – out of his mouth, his hand releasing the scissor, which falls in the sink with a metallic clic. “What are you doing?”

“I…” he initiates, lowering his head. Hongbin is beginning to associates the act with Leo’s embarrassment.  “I was cutting my hair” he finally says, his head – and fluffy ears – still low.

“By yourself?” is a stupid question, Hongbin knows, but he can’t stop it. His tone is laced with a small hint of amusement.

Leo looks cute like this; pink face and chaotic hair.

Not very appropriate images fill Hongbin’s head. He imagines Leo writhing beneath him, soft noises escaping puffy red lips as…

Stop! Bad, bad thoughts!

“Yes” the word is not even whisper, the photographer being capable of understanding only because of lip-reading.

A wave of affection hits Hongbin, urging him move towards the boy, and he does exactly this, giving tentative steps in Leo’s direction. “Want my help?”

Leo ears lift themselves together with his dark orbs, the cool look in them melting enough for Hongbin to see confusion. “What?”

“I’m asking if you want help. You look a bit confused with what to do” Hongbin grins widely at Leo’s childish pout that contrasts hugely with his now almost inexpressive eyes “I used to trim Hyuk’s hair, so you don’t need to worry about becoming bald” his small attempt of humor is lost in the air as Leo considers his offer very seriously.

“Okay”

“Really?” Hongbin’s smile is so big that his cheeks hurt.

“Ye. Just, hm, don’t cut too short, please”

Is one of Leo’s longest sentences, and the younger male is delighted, nodding happily. He makes Leo sit in the toilet before grabbing a comb and the forgotten scissor in the sink. Kneeling in Leo’s front, he smiles warmly to the older, starting then to comb his hair, to see where to cut. Leo really made a mess with his hair, but there is still hope. He is cutting the boy’s bangs carefully when he listens to Leo’s whisper.

“Why you continue to treat me nicely?”

The question catches Hongbin by surprise, and he doesn’t know what to say. To start with, he doesn’t even know why Leo is asking such question. He was supposed to treat him differently?

“Hm? What are you talking about?” he responds the question with other, evidently frustrating Leo, who huffs.

“I’m talking about you treating me nicely after what I did to you!” Leo exclaims baring his fangs, voice louder than Hongbin ever heard.

Hongbin’s hand instinctively reach for his almost healed wound, his eyes fixed in Leo’s, seeing for the first time the pain and the guilty shining in the dark eyes “This? Are you talking about this?!”

Leo’s only action is to close his eyes, agreeing with a slight head movement.

And here’s the urge again, the one that keeps appearing at the most inconvenient moments, the one who makes Hongbin long for Leo’s entire being. It’s so strong, it overwhelms Hongbin’s senses.

This time Leo doesn’t try to deviate from the photographer’s hand as it raises itself to caress lightly his cheek. The touch is so soft that’s barely there; Hongbin’s hand warm and gentle.

So Leo nuzzles the hand, feeling the gentle warm and the smell of vanilla and peach, breathing in deeply; a sound similar to a purr resonating in his chest.

A dark blush colors Hongbin’s face as he stares the situation agape; eyes wide open and heart thundering in his ribcage. He can feel his hand trembling, his respiration coming in sharp breaths and all his body unmoving.

“Leo” the name is said without a treatment suffix, a mere sigh – nearly a moan, if Hongbin is sincere – in the silent place.

The catboy reacts immediately, backing away “I’m sorry” he says, clutching his hands in his lap, squeezing the fabric of one of Hongbin’s shirts – he refuses to leave the house to buy new clothes – tightly.

“No need to say sorry” Hongbin smiles reassuringly, touching Leo’s face again, this time with more pressure, trying to pass his point “You did nothing wrong. In fact, I’m ridiculously happy right now” he admits.

“Why?” the purring is back as Leo leans in Hongbin’s hand “You’re not mad with me for hurting you… I don’t understand”

“It was an accident. I shouldn’t have touched you out of the blue. If someone here is to say sorry, this person is me. I’m sorry, Leo-yah”

“You don’t need to apologize. Is just…”

“I brought back horrid memories, didn’t I?” Leo stays silent after that, so Hongbin guessed right.

This is the perfect opportunity to start all over again. This time correctly.

“Let’s start again, okay?” his hand caresses Leo’s face, a broad smile appearing in his face as he sees the look of confusion in Leo’s eyes “Like this: Hello, I’m Lee Hongbin. I’m 21 and I’m a photographer. It’s a pleasure to meet you”

Enlightenment illuminates reaches Leo’s features, softening it as he continues to purr faintly, his tail wrapping itself Hongbin’s leg. He seems decided, about what Hongbin doesn’t know.

“I’m. L-… I’m Jung Taekwoon. I’m 24, a hybrid. It’s a pleasure to meet you too, my master”

Hongbin is startled with two things:

First: Leo’s name apparently isn’t Leo, but Jung Taekwoon.

Taekwoon. Taek Woon. Taek. Woon.

Sounds so good.

Second: Le-, no, Taekwoon called him ‘my master’. It’s too wrong and inappropriate and… too for Hongbin’s already raging imagination.

He would look so cute in his knees, flushed and calling me like this…

BAD! BAD THOUGHTS!

“A-Ah! Leo-yah, there’s no need to call me your master! Just Hongbin is fine!” Hongbin says as he feels his face grow hotter. He must be looking like a tomato… Then he notices his mistake “I mean, Taekwoon…ah?” fortunately, Taekwoon doesn’t seems to care about his little slip.

“… Hongbin-ah? Is okay like this?” Taekwoon asks, biting his lower lip.

You can call whatever you want. Just call for me, only me.

“It’s great!” is with great reluctance that Hongbin takes his hand away from L-… Taekwoon’s soft face “So, shall we continue? I’m almost over”

Taekwoon nods, closing his eyes – in trust – and letting Hongbin finish his job, his purring working as a soothing background sound.

More or less ten minutes later Hongbin is over. Grinning proudly, he stands, feeling his knees aching because of all the time he stood kneeled in the bathroom’s floor. It is the least important thing in the moment.

He finally, finally can see Taekwoon’s face properly.

A pair of very dark, cat-like eyes. Chubby cheeks – that are now a bit pink from embarrassment – and one cute little nose. Pink, plush lips to complete one of the most beautiful faces Hongbin ever saw. His black hair falls neatly in his forehead, not able to hide his face any longer.

“Ready” Hongbin offers his hand, which Taekwoon takes after one single instant of doubt. They stop when Taekwoon is face-to-face to the mirror. He looks at his own image warily, his ears moving frantically, his tail still around Hongbin’s leg. “What do you think?”

And for the first time since Taekwoon’s adoption, the hybrid smiles. Is still small, barely there smile, but is a smile nonetheless, and it is so beautiful Hongbin has to catch his breath.

“It looks good. Thank you… Hongbin-ah” the soft voice melts the younger’s heart, and he squeezes the hand that he still holds.


 

Please, tell me what you think ^^