The Photographer and the Hybrid

My Kitten

Hello~ 

So, this is the first chapter of My Kitten. The fic in itself will have 5 to 6 chapters.

Thank you all who already subscribed and voted and everything. It made me very happy ^^

Enjoy

.

.


Lee Hongbin tells himself that he is only doing this because his previous catboy, Sanghyuk, is now mated to Jaehwan, his neighbor and friend.

He refuses to accept that he is lonely.

He isn’t.

Hongbin sighs, knocking the door in front of him, waiting.

It takes almost five minutes for Jaehwan to open, looking disheveled and panting, swollen lips and annoyed face.

The younger boy grins, imagining what kind of position the older was when he knocked.

“Ready?” he asks, knowing that it will take some time for his friend to get ready.

As expected, Jaehwan blushes, gags “W-Wait… t-two minutes” and closes the door in Hongbin’s face, only opening it exactly two minutes later, holding the hand of a smirking Sanghyuk, who greets his previous master – and friend – with a slight wave of hand and his brownish tail moving behind him.

“You drive” Hongbin gives Jaehwan the car keys, who stares at him with confused eyes “If I drive, you and Hyukkie-ah will make out in the backseat, and I don’t want this in my car” he explains, gaining a sheepish look from both of them. The oldest of the group accepts the key, and they get in the elevator – all three live in the eight floor – to the garage. Hongbin’s car is an old Kia Soul, and he loves every single inch of it.

“In the end, it would be your fault” Sanghyuk says as he enters the car, sitting in the middle of the backseat. “Why invite me and Jaehwan if Wonshik-hyung and Hakyeon-hyung are already going?”

“I like to listen to different opinions” Hongbin sits at Jaehwan’s side, fastening his seat belt “Besides, he or she will be part of our group, and I want all to agree with my decision.”

Sanghyuk huffs and Hongbin knows he’s just nervous. The boy probably doesn’t want to go back to the Hybrid Shelter, where he came from; his cat ears flat on his head as enough proof. In all three years since his adoption, he never spoke of the time he spent there, the giant place full of catboys and catgirls. Hongbin never pressured. There are things that shouldn’t and cannot be said.  

But Hongbin never stopped wondering what could have happened in that place for Sanghyuk hate it so much. He’d never been there; Sanghyuk was a gift from his parents for his 19th birthday.

The ride is silent, with Jaehwan keeping his mouth shut – this is a miracle itself – and Sanghyuk lost in his thoughts, maybe about darker times, when Hongbin still wasn’t with him. The latter likes to observe the busy streets of Seoul, everything he sees giving him ideas about his next photo album, with the ‘City Shades’ as theme. As a photographer with rising popularity, Hongbin preferred to take pictures that made people feel exactly what he felt the moment he took them. He likes people better than sceneries.

“Why now, hyung?” the question is sudden, and comes from Hyuk’s mouth “It’s been four months since I moved. Why adopt someone now?”

The photographer caresses his neck absentmindedly, thinking for a second “I guess I was waiting”

“For what?” Jaehwan asks, slightly turning his head to look at Hongbin.

“For the right moment, maybe” the answer is vague, and clearly confuses both Jaehwan and Sanghyuk. Hongbin however is already back to his own world, looking the passing streets without really seeing them.

He knows he cannot explain the gut feeling he’s being having for the past two weeks. A strange and even uncomfortable feeling that makes his skin itch in need for company. He’s been uneasy, always walking around the house, taking pictures of every object he sees and talking so much it makes even Hakyeon annoyed.

The only thing he knows is that he needs to go to the Hybrid Shelter.

The rest of the ride is just as silent as its beginning, the only sound in the car coming from Hongbin’s radio. It’s a music named Wild Flower, by Park Hyo Shin. Hongbin likes – better, idolizes – him. The soft and deep voice, the lyrics… it relaxes him, making he forget the current tension hanging heavily in the air.

It’s a great responsibility to take care of hybrids. They still aren’t well accepted in the world and there aren’t many jobs that employ them, making most completely dependent of their owners. Hongbin doesn’t care about having to sustain a hybrid, his job pays him well enough and with his increasing popularity as a photographer, people are starting to contact him often. He has his agenda full of appointments. They go from photographing rich people weddings to taking pictures of idols in famous magazines.

He likes to think that is just because of his talent, but he knows his flower boy face helps him to get so many jobs. He pretends not to care.

“We’re here” his line of thought is interrupted because of Jaehwan’s voice. The car is parked in front of a large building, black letters saying ‘Seoul’s Hybrid Shelter’, confirming that this is indeed the place. “Oh, and look! Wonshik-ah and Hakyeon-hyung are already here!”

Both boys are waiting for them next to the door, the older with ears low in his reddish brown hair. Wonshik pets his hair, whispering what Hongbin thinks are soothing words. Just like the youngest of the group, the oldest is distressed with being in the present location.

“Finally” Wonshik exclaims when sees the three approaching “It took you guys long enough” complains, circling Hakyeon’s waist with an arm, bringing the catboy closer to his body in a reassuring manner, kissing the top of his head.

In a mental note, Hongbin notes he’s the only one who doesn’t have a boyfriend.

Frustrating.

They enter the place, and quickly one functionary eagerly presents himself, “Welcome to the Seoul’s Hybrid Shelter. I’m Goo Hyun Mi. How can I help you?” he asks, bowing lightly.

Hongbin speaks “I want to adopt a hybrid”

“Oh, of course! You have an age preference, Sir?”

Hongbin hadn’t thought about an exact age, so he takes a minute to answer “I want someone who can take care of itself when alone. I need to be away from home a lot because of work. Teenagers and adults are the best, I guess”

The man nods, showing the group the way to a corridor full of little jail-like spaces. At first sight it seems to have more than thirty of them, each one with a different catboy or catgirl. “Boys! Girls! We have company!” Hyun Mi shouts, and the effect is immediate. Most hybrids try to arrange their clothes and look more appealing to the visitants. One catgirl lowers her shirt, the swell of her s visible while one catboy opens his shirt, revealing toned abs.

Hongbin can feel the tension in each step he gives. Pleading eyes, forced smiles, insinuating gestures and poses, all with the intention of catching him and his friends’ attention. He can hear very low hisses coming from time to time, and Hongbin doesn’t need to be a genius to know that they are directed to Sanghyuk and Hakyeon, hybrids who already have owners. He feels sorry for bringing them there, but he still wants their opinions.

He stops every now and then, talking with some hybrids, but none is authentic, all trying to please him at any cost. Wonshik sometimes whispers his opinion in his ear, and Sanghyuk tugs nervously his shirt when he’s not comfortable with his ex-owner choice.

Then, “Hakyeon? Hakyeon?!” he listens Wonshik’s worried voice. He turns his head, and sees Hakyeon frozen in his place, ears turning at the slightest of sounds and tail hard as stone behind him.

“I know this scent” it’s the only thing he says before running, passing through Hongbin and the others. Wonshik is quick to follow, and soon all boys are in Hakyeon’s heels. “Leo?! Leo?!” they hear him shouting.

Hakyeon stops at one of the last cage-like spaces, his trembling hands holding the metal bars that separate him from whoever is on the other side. Tears are making his eyes shine, his ears again low.

“What’s happeni-” Sanghyuk tries to speak, but shock interrupts his phrase. A hand comes from behind metal bars, touching Hakyeon’s face gently. The catboy starts to cry, closing his eyes and leaning in its direction.

Wonshik shifts uncomfortably in his place, not liking at all the contact and Jaehwan and Sanghyuk look at each other, communicating with their eyes. They’re confused.

Hongbin is curious. He wants to know what the hell is happening right before his eyes. So he gives slow passes, reaching Hakyeon. He puts one hand in his shoulder. “Hakyeon-hyung… Is everything alright? Who is he?” he asks, looking at the catboy who have his hand on the oldest face.

His face is hidden because of long jet black hair, but Hongbin can see pouty pink lips. He is a few centimeters taller than both Hongbin and Hakyeon, broad shoulders and athletic. Even without seeing his face completely, Hongbin senses his eyes burning his skin. Goosebumps fills his arms, there are butterflies twisting and twisting in his stomach and suddenly nothing else matters but this caged boy.

He is the one.

This boy, Leo, is the one.

He has to be the one.

The photographer never in his life was so certain of something.

Is Hyun Mi who retorts “This is Leo. He’s been here for the past two weeks” and completes “I don’t recommend him. He can be very… aggressive when he feels threatened, and he is one of the oldest. In a few months he will have to leave”

“Why?” Wonshik asks, frowning his brow.

“The shelter takes hybrids from five to twenty five years. After this, they have to leave. Leo is twenty four”

“But… It’s cruel” Jaehwan bits his lips, scanning the room. All these boys and girls…

Hongbin thinks the same. It’s cruel. He can’t bear the idea of Leo in the cold and violent streets of the lowest parts of Seoul, where atrocities happen with both humans and hybrids.

“If we don’t do this, we won’t be able to maintain the shelter. There are too many of them and unfortunately, not so many donations” Hyun Mi genuinely appears sad, but hurriedly changes the subject, not letting personal issues interfere in his business “I reinforce what I said before. Leo can be very violent”

Hakyeon snaps his face at him, baring his fangs and hissing warningly at the functionary “Leo is not violent! He’s very warm and gentle!” he wipes his eyes angrily.

“Hakyeon-ah, stop” the voice is new, and even Hyun Mi seems surprised to hear it. It comes from Leo, and is very soft, sweet and low, almost a whisper.

It’s a shock for Hongbin, who expected a deep and strong voice, like Wonshik’s. His heart flutters, and all he knows is more. He wants to listen more of this oh so sweet voice. He needs it.

“But… Leo” the oldest sniffs “He’s not being fair. You’re not some kind of wild beast!”

“Hakyeon-ah” is a warning.

The catboy quiets, going to Wonshik and hiding his face in the crock of his neck. Hongbin sees Leo biting his lower lip as if guilty, and his curiosity is growing. In his head, there are only thoughts of Leo, of how he would look smiling or without so much hair hiding his face. Suddenly, Hongbin wants to photograph the catboy. He wants to capture every single change of feelings, every minimal difference in expression. He wishes to photograph his smile and his tears, his anger and his sleepiness. Hongbin wants it all so much… It’s almost painful.

“I want him”

The phrase is out his mouth before he can think straight.

Leo’s head whips in his direction, the movement bringing part of his hair away from his face, revealing one single eye, dark and faintly wide in astonishment.

It almost makes Hongbin’s knees buckle. No one should have this kind of eyes, so, but so expressive Hongbin swears he can see every single emotion, every little thought the boy have. Leo is apprehensive, doubtful of Hongbin’s intentions and at the same time, hopeful and fearful. He’s been through so much, and life apparently taught him to not trust anyone but himself. Hongbin also views pain and a bit of happiness? The latter is probably because of Hakyeon, someone he obviously knows and cherishes.

“R-Re-Really, Sir?” Hyun Mi is the first one to recompose, choking in his words. He’s tapping the floor with his feet, anxious.

“Yes” Hongbin replies without looking at the man, his eyes fixed in the catboy. He hears Jaehwan, Wonshik and Sanghyuk whispering behind him, but it doesn’t matter. If fact, he had forgotten about his friends, too concentrated in Leo to notice anyone or anything.

“R-Right! I will ask someone to prepare him for you, so please, come with me so we can take care of the papers”

Nodding, Hongbin follows the man, his eyes lingering till the last second in Leo.

Maybe it is just for one millisecond, but Hongbin guarantees he sees Leo’s pouty lips curving in a small smile. It makes his lips curve in a big dimpled one.

“He’s smitten” Jaehwan jokes, making Sanghyuk and Wonshik laugh. Hakyeon analyses the second youngest, smirking when sees the blush that’s spreading in his cheeks and noting that he doesn’t deny.

As the oldest, he touches Hongbin’s shoulder, squeezing it lightly in a reassuring manner “Take care of him, Binnie-ah. Leo’s more sensible than he looks” there is a certain tone of threat in his voice together with seriousness uncommon of him considering his normally bright personality.

“Yes, Hakyeon-hyung”

.

.

.

.

Leo goes with Sanghyuk in the backseat, wearing new clothes the shelter gave him and as silent as before. Sanhyuk is clearly uncomfortable, and as soon as they arrive the 8th floor, he takes Jaehwan hand, saying a quick ‘Bye hyungs’ before leaving.

“Welcome home, Leo-ya!” Hongbin shouts when they pass through the door, entering the apartment. It was another gift from his parents – yes, his parents used to spoil him too much – and isn’t small or big, being enough for two, maybe three people to live at ease. “Here’s the living room, there is the kitchen and come! I will show you the bathroom and the bedrooms.”

Leo follows Hongbin quietly while the younger shows him the house, babbling about anything that comes in his mind.

It’s always like this. He gets nervous and starts to talk too much, and Leo’s silence is making him jumpy. All his friends talk beyond any limit – Hakyeon and Jaehwan as perfect examples – and Hongbin is not accustomed with quiet people. The fact that Leo’s eyes are burning holes in his neck doesn’t help either.

He stops at Sanghyuk’s old room, opening the door. The furniture resumes itself in nothing more than a bed, a wardrobe and a nightstand, the walls painted in a light green and there is a window with white curtains “This is your new room, Leo-ya” he gives space for Leo to enter, not bothering to treat him with a ‘hyung’ or a ‘sshi’ – Leo is older than him –, and smiles when the catboy looks around him with awe, his pink lips forming an ‘o’ shape.

It’s so cute Hongbin wants to pinch his chubby cheeks and kiss those pink lips.

… Wait.

This is not the type of thought he should have about his new pet – and he hopes, future friend.

“… I never had one…” is a mere whisper, so quiet Hongbin barely caught it. His heart accelerates; the soft voice is like a melody for his ears.

He is confused “What? A room for yourself?”

“Yes” something about his tone just seems wrong. There is too much pain, too much distress and too many secrets to be considered a normal answer. Other people never had a room to themselves before because of siblings and roommates, but Hongbin doubts it was like this with Leo.

So his answer breaks Hongbin’s heart at the same time it makes it beats faster. He doesn’t know if he should feel sad for the catboy who passed for such hardships or happy because apparently Leo was slowly opening to him. He decides to feel the latter, because the past is past, and now Leo has him, who will cherish him with all he has.

“Now you have a room all for yourself” he smiles, walking towards the catboy. He intends to pet his hair, like he often did with Sanghyuk, but Leo jerks away hastily, frowning.

Maybe Hongbin should take things slower.

Leo is very different from Sanghyuk. He has to be treated differently, more carefully.

“Sorry” he scratches his neck, trying to relieve the awkward atmosphere “Hm… You, ahn… Want to take a bath?” he asks, not sure how to proceed. He feels he’s walking on eggshells, attempting to make Leo more relaxed.

The catboy nods, and the photographer turns in his heels, preparing to guide the other when he feels something tugging at his shirt, making him stop. Turning, he sees the top of Leo’s head, since he has it low. The hand he uses to hold Hongbin’s shirt is shaking slightly, and his ears are low.

He is embarrassed and it’s so cute Hongbin wants to cuddle him and pinch his chubby cheeks… again. “Let’s go” he says, his steps slower than normal. Leo quietly accompanies him through the corridor until they reach the last door at the right white painted wall.

If there’s a place in his apartment Hongbin loves besides his room, it’s definitely his bathroom. It’s spacious, with a large bathtub and strong shower. The walls are all in baby-blue ceramic, the sink is white marble and there is a large mirror.

Leo is pleased; his tail wiggling behind him and ears high. His visible eye is shining with contained animation and he spins in his place, taking in the entire bathroom.

Again, Hongbin resists the urge to just hug the catboy.

“You want to take a shower or use the bathtub?” his eyes are fixated in Leo’s face as he asks, so he sees the exactly moment Leo’s cheeks turn a pretty shade of red. Smiling warmly, he already knows the answer.

“… Bathtub” as always, the other’s voice is barely heard, just a sweet whisper.

Bingo, Hongbin thinks. He was right.

“You can undress while I prepare the water” picking the lavender scented soap, the photographer starts filling the bathtub, keeping his curious eyes focused in his task. He hears the tantalizing sound of clothes being discarded, the motion slow and almost calling for him to look. He manages to keep his longing at bail, small beads of sweat appearing in his forehead as result of the scented steam that is slowly covering the room and his effort in containing himself.

He feels like a creep, having so much trouble just because of the sound of ruffling clothes.

“It’s ready” he declares, turning around.

His heart accelerates, his eyes widen, his mouth suddenly is very dry and his body just froze in its place.

Leo is with his back turned in his direction, so Hongbin can see perfectly every muscle rippling as the catboy struggles with his pants – they are a number minor than Leo’s, because he’s very tall and fit and the Shelter didn’t had his size – that are stuck. His shoulders are broad and his back is toned, but is not because of this Hongbin can’t breathe.

Scars. Scars covering most of the catboy’s back, some long white lines, others circular, like cigarette burns. Talking about burns, there is a large spot in his middle back where the skin his redder and slightly wrinkled than the rest of his back, probably caused by fire.

Tears fill the corner of Hongbin’s eyes, because, who, who did this to you, Leo?

He fails to notice his hand stretching itself against his will, reaching out for Leo, touching his back briefly.

There’s pain after that. His left cheek and jaw sting and blood is slowly oozing from four thin lines. Leo is panting; his right hand is trembling like a leaf on the air, sharp nails red. His very dark eyes are wide as if in shock and fear is clearly written on them. Hongbin worries he will break down at any second, because he’s sickly pale and shaking and looking so much like a lost kid… It’s the third – or fourth – time in one day Hongbin’s heart is clenching painfully in his ribcage, all because of this silent and mysterious catboy.

“A-Ah… I…” Leo manages to gag, eyes still wide. His trembling hand falls limply at his side, one single drop of blood dripping on the marble floor. He gives the impression he’s about to throw up.

 

 

 

 

Silence…

 

 

 

 

…Silence…

 

 

 

 

…Silence.

 

 

 

 

Leo sighs and bites his lower lip. He bows 90° degree and picks his discarded shirt, putting it back quickly before leaving the bathroom without uttering any other sound.

Hongbin listens after a bit the faint thud of a door closing.

He cups the gashes with his hand, his back encountering the cold surface of the baby-blue wall behind him. He sinks to the floor, closing his eyes.

"...Aishh"

.

.

.

.


That's it! This is the end of the first chapter.

What did you guys think?