Epilogue - Through His Eyes

My Kitten

Now is official, My Kitten is over.

Thanks to everyone who stayed with me through this. I'll be forever grateful ^^

.

.


.

.

They call him loud, obnoxious, and annoying. They say he needs to shut up a little and pay more attention to his surroundings; he should calm down and stop meddling in other peoples’ life.

People can say whatever they want; Cha Hakyeon knows who he is and differently from what most of those people think, he’s extremely aware of… everything. He lived in the streets for almost as much time as Taekwoon, and just like the other catboy, he saw all kinds of things that happen when no one is looking. He saw the violence, the fight for territory and survival, how hybrids sold themselves for a plate of food.

He and Taekwoon had different ways of dealing with the exposure.

Taekwoon closed himself, not trusting his own shadow and becoming a boy of few words. Just because of his influence the younger learned about affection and how to open up to those he deemed worth of trust. His coldness became shyness and Hakyeon admits that he’s a bit protective of the other. Even after so many years in the streets, Taekwoon is innocent in ways he himself can only dream about being. He wants to protect it; recently, give some of it to Hongbin, who he deemed worthy enough.

He dealt with the harsh life in the only way he knew, which consisted in being positive about everything and purposefully oblivious to negative comments and actions. If people thought he was stupid or simply too ignorant, they would be more lenient and treat him without the typical harsh mannerisms. At the same time, when Taekwoon wasn’t looking, he could be cold and cunning. He knew how to survive, because he knew that to be able to do so, the end justifies the means.

Oh, Hakyeon is everything but oblivious.

.

.

.

.

He sees his best friend’s completely lost expression, and feels sorry for him. He can imagine the inner turmoil going on in Taekwoon’s head; the doubt and confusion swirling and mixing with each other, leaving questions unanswered and new ones popping continuously. Hakyeon can almost see the kind of questions that surround the other catboy’s head.

Did Hongbin really mean what he said?

What if he’s lying?

Should I trust him?

Should I confess?

What I’m supposed to do?

They’re in Wonshik and Hakyeon’s apartment, because the latter thought it would be good for both Hongbin and Taekwoon to spend some time away from each other, to resolve their feelings and for his beloved best friend to make the decision that would change his life forever; whether to forgive or not the photographer. As Taekwoon’s long life friend, he will support the boy no matter what, even if he secretly wishes for them to end together; they match wonderfully and their chemistry is like his and Wonshik’s.

“We don’t have a spare room, so you’ll have to sleep in the couch” Wonshik breaks both hybrids from their thoughts by saying this. He seems apologetic and embarrassed with the fact that his apartment is smaller than Hongbin’s “Sorry”

The younger catboy shakes his head, declining the apology.

Hakyeon smiles slightly “I will pick the blankets and a pillow. Come help, Taekwoonie”

Nodding, the younger follows him while worrying his lower lip – the older can’t help but notice how abused they are, red and bruised – and with his tail completely still behind him. His own tail reaches out for it; they wrap together instinctively, a habit they had several years ago. A form of comfort.

Hakyeon goes to a small space near the kitchen, where all his friend will need is stored in a smaller cabinet; he takes a thick green blanket and a white pillow, stuffing Taekwoon’s arms. “You know what you’ll do Woonie?” he asks in false nonchalance.

With the corner of his eyes, he sees the younger widening his slanted eyes.

“I mean, you know that sooner or later you and Hongbinnie will have to deal with your issues. This isn’t a drama, so… What you’re planning?”

Taekwoon hugs the blanket closer to his body “I don’t know”

“Aish, complicated. You don’t know or you’re afraid?”

“I…” his hesitation is enough answer.

Bingo.

“My Woonie… The fierce Leo is afraid of a dimpled photographer?” a bit of provocation and…. “Really, Taekwoonie, why are you afraid?”

“Hongbin said… He said that he loves me”

“Oh really?!”  Hakyeon’s surprise is genuine “He said he loves you and you’re here?! You’re crazy?!”

“Hakyeon-ah…” Taekwoon’s tone is exasperated “… Please, you don’t understand. Hongbin said this, yes, but how I… Trust him after…”

The older catboy’s gaze softens “You’re afraid he didn’t mean it, that he’ll get tired of you and mistreat you again” it’s not a question, it’s an affirmative.

A small nod confirms it anyway. “I’m tired of being hurt”

“You have all the right to be tired” Hakyeon takes Taekwoon’s face between his hands, and rubs their noses together in an affectionate way. Their tails are still intertwined “I know Hongbin enough to say this: he’s just as insecure as you, and if he had the courage to say this to you, it’s because he mean it”

Taekwoon presses closer to Hakyeon “… You’re certain Hakyeonnie? You can guarantee me that he won’t hurt me?” his soft voice is more like of a child’s.

The older boy sighs, and his ears lower on the top of his head “I can’t guarantee anything, Woonie. There will always be the possibility of being hurt, this is real life. You can hurt him just as much as he can hurt you, both physically and emotionally. This is why you have to trust him, trust that he will respect and love you. We don’t have more guaranty than this” he kisses the younger eyes, tasting the salty flavor of dried tears.

“So I should just forgive him and forget about today?”

“Forgive, yes; forget, never. We don’t forget what harm us; it’s because of our wounds that we grow to be what we are. Forgive Hongbin, but don’t forget his actions, so he won’t ever repeat them”

A small smile graces the pale face, and Taekwoon reciprocates Hakyeon’s kiss with one in the tanned catboy’s cheek. “Thank you Yeonnie” the cute and childish nickname makes said catboy beam brightly; he hugs the younger and they start to head back to the living room.

Proudly smiling, Hakyeon thinks:

Hongbin can thank me later.

.

.

.

.

2 months later…

It’s Christmas Eve and they are all reunited in a cozy restaurant, enjoying good – and cheap – food and each other company.

Or at least, trying to in the midst of so much noise and confusion.

Wonshik and Sanghyuk are eating like pigs, glaring in the other’s direction and with a thick atmosphere around them; a silent competition taking place. The sound of slurps and metal against metal hurt the two hybrid’s sensitive ears, but they choose to ignore it for different reasons. Jaehwan is babbling some nonsense about beatboxing and pterodactyl sounds and ahjummas in Hakyeon’s ears, and the catboy is about to stuff some galbi in the boy’s mouth so he can just shut up.

He wants to analyze the couple in his front calmly, noting all the small movements and Jaehwan is interrupting him.

So, as gently as he can, Hakyeon says “Jaehwan-ah, why don’t you judge Wonshik and Hyukkie’s competition? I’m sure one of them is cheating”

This makes the boy turn his attention to his boyfriend and friend.

Peace.

Hakyeon focuses again in the couple.

They’re close to each other, not enough to outside people know right away about their relationship, but enough to make one question it. Their shoulders touch lightly, and Hakyeon have the impression they are holding hands beneath the table – Hongbin has only the hand which he eats with visible, and Taekwoon’s ambidextrous, so he can hide it well. Every time the hybrid wants to say something, he leans and whispers in the photographer’s ear, his lips brushing skin; the same happens the other way around, when it’s Hongbin talking. From time to time the younger even feeds the catboy discreetly, and they keep sneaking loving and longing glances.

It’s sickeningly sweet and cute.

Hakyeon comes to a conclusion; one that leaves him very satisfied.

“You two definitely went all the way” he says his conclusion out loud, making the entire table fall silent, his words settling in.

Wonshik chokes.

Sanghyuk chokes too, and start to cough like mad.

Jaehwan seems divided between helping his boyfriend and laugh.

Taekwoon blushes so hard that even the tips of his fluffy ears look darker.

Hongbin blushes too, and curses under his breath.

Hakyeon smiles, content with the reactions.

He is right, as always.

.

.


.

.

I love you guys~ 

Fighting Leobin!