After by Anna Todd- Chapter 54

Who Is Anna Todd(One Direction fanfiction author)?

After standing there and wondering what should she do for like a billion years, Tessa turns on a lamp and watches him thrash about on his bed from his nightmare.

I remember Steph briefly mentioning that she heard Harry has nightmares, the rumor must be true.

You know, for someone who claims to be supposedly in love with the guy - I just don’t see it. The fact that there is little insight to how Tessa feels about seeing Harry like this, and we are only given a bare minimum of description in a very offhand, distant and matter-of-fact tone gives me the impression that she and Harry equally think very little of each other. I feel like she’s just observing some animal in pain for a science experiment, instead of seeing a guy she likes suffering like this.

His eyes fly open, terror fills them for a brief moment before confusion, then relief.

Wow Anna Todd, how lazy are you to not even attempt to give some fleshing out of body language/facial expression to show how Harry is feeling these emotions. Then again, this isn’t like her literary magnum opus, so I’ll let that slide.

"Tessa." He chokes. The way he says my name breaks my heart then heals it.

What the hell are you trying to say? If you took away the last three words of that sentence, it’d probably leave a stronger emotional impact. But that’s just my inner-editor speaking here.

He immediately reaches out for Tessa, holding her close against his wet chest (think of all that sweat dripping off of him - just ew). 

They spend the rest of the chapter just cuddling, and if there is one thing Anna Todd loves writing about - it is about the physicality of Tessa and Harry’s relationship. Which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Some people are tactile learners and like to interact with their environment through touch (think of those people who like to do things with a ‘hands on’ approach). 

My problem with the physicality in this book, is really just something that is almost a staple in a lot of romantic/a fiction (and why I can’t get into a lot of romance books I come across). The main characters just want to have with each other whenever they’re in the mood for it (which is generally like all the time), and there is nothing else to it.

Tessa and Harry wanting to have with each other, fine, whatever. But don’t try to convince me that them getting snugly with each other is them expressing theirromantic feelings for each other. I don’t see a couple that finds it easier expresses their feelings through physical contact with each others’ bodies. All I’m seeing is just extremely mild before they start boning each other, and that’s it.

I get this is meant to make them look adorable and affectionate with each other, and how much he really does need her. This is probably just blatant pandering and fanservice to a lot of ‘Hessa’ shippers, and as a fanfic - it’s the least of this story’s multiple problems. But as someone who hates Harry/Tessa’s relationship from the very beginning…

image

Tessa says that she wants to perform some sort of ual favour for Harry, so he can “feel as good as he does me”. Of course, Tessa is coy and freaking out because of her inexperience. Again, I don’t have a problem with that - except she wants to do the D with Harry (who deserves nothing but to be cannon-balled into the sun).

"Is that something you want?" He asks, his hands moving circles over crotch.

Whose crotch are you touching…?

Harry of course, wants a but before that can happen his phone goes off. Thank god for that.

After that call he is immediately closed off and very distant from Tessa, who wants to know why he has to act like this.

Guarded Harry is my least favorite Harry, even less liked than angry Harry.

I… What can you say to something like that? It’s just all kinds of weird and unsettling, that’s what I’m definitely getting from that. Anyway, after she’s done adjusting her outfit, Tessa walks down the hallway and is intentionally trying to ignore Harry. Which of course, fails the moment he wants to know what’s wrong with her.

I don’t know if Tessa and Harry’s nanosecond-long mood switches is something we should all be concerned about in terms of characterization, but I digress.

Harry demands to know what is pissing her off, so she asks who called him. When he doesn’t respond, she asks if it is Molly, regardless that she doesn’t “want to know the answer”. Then why did you ask in the first place?

Thank God Liam shows up, being perky and adorable and Tessa ditches Harry for him as they all head downstairs for breakfast.  They all chatter and eat until Tessa asks Karen about the greenhouse they have. Apparently Tessa spent a lot of time in the greenhouse her family have as a kid, and Karen offers to let Tessa work in hers the next time they come around.

She is so kind, and loving. Everything I wish I had in a mother.

image

Wow, that’s just… one hell of semi-bombshell to kind of throw at us. Not even a hint or clue whatsoever. I get the feeling the mother-daughter dynamic is an afterthought, especially considering we know so little about Tessa prior and throughout this story.

I don’t know. I just feel like this was to give Tessa some sort of sad, angsty back-story (which I am guessing that Harry has one to compete with hers) because Anna Todd wants to use a quick/cheap way for readers to emotionally invest themselves in her barely developed self-insert character. I mean, lord forbid we have a fanfic where someone had a relatively happy, safe childhood.

However, Harry is pressing that he and Tessa need to leave, like now, much to her reluctance.

I knew my time here would end but it has been such a nice departure from my normal life, no lsts, no alarms, no obligations.

Seriously, where the hell is this coming from? Maybe I’m just jumping to conclusion and immediately associating it with the not-so-subtle implication that Tessa’s need to control and plan everything to a micro detail correlates to her dysfunctional relationship with her mother. But I’m guessing that Anna Todd didn’t think about that. And why would she? That requires planning and putting actual effortinto this story.

Harry disappears and comes back with Tessa’s belongings, including her toms which he is holding out for her.

It’s a little discomforting that he went through my things but I overlook it.

image

OH MY FREAKING GOD.

PRIVACY AND PERSONAL SPACE, HARRY. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF IT? BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE YOU DO BUT DON’T CARE. BECAUSE YOU’RE A LIKE THAT.

Good freaking god. I mean, Harry going through people’s is expected, because he is an uncaring . What terrifies me is the fact that it just made Tessa a little bit discomforted?This may be a minor thing to her, but all I’m getting is loud sirens going off and 50 Shades of Grey flashbacks to when Ana was nonchalant at the fact that Christian Grey found her by tracking her cell phone,which he blatantly admitted to.

I’m sorry, but seriously - if Tessa just ‘overlooks’ stuff like this, who’s to say she won’t end up like her mutant twin Ana and end up being stalked, harassed, kidnapped or something even worse! And people are fine with this? WHAT

image

Seriously Anna Todd, what the hell are you trying to convey? Aside from making this into your cash cow.