do you think the movie is actually going to happen?

Who Is Anna Todd(One Direction fanfiction author)?

October 19, 2014

In all honesty? No.

First thing’s first, I’m the realest production companies, I’ve been told, buy the rights to tons of movie scripts/ideas, but they often don’t go through with every single movie they buy the rights to. So even though Paramount bought the rights to After, they might not even make the movie. If they were to sit down and properly think about it, the cons for making it would be:

  • Those who read it are typically under the age of 18. If you make After into a movie, you’d have to obviously include scenes and make it Rated R. How can a movie do well if the main audience you’re shooting for aren’t old enough to see it on their own? None of them would dare ask a parent or older person to take them to see it; they’d be far too embarrassed.
  • Paramount will get SO MUCH for trying to make a cheap version of 50 Shades (which is already problematic enough as it is). They’d basically be the Walmart trying to go up against the Target; they pale in comparison and would never hear the end of it. 
  • With so much opposition, why would they even bother? The backlash would be far worse than the benefits, and One Direction/Harry might even sue them if the boys find out about it.

But, you know, even though I don’t think it’ll become an actual movie, better safe than sorry, yeah? It’s great to sign campaigns/petitions against it, to tweet your opinions (in a civil manner) to Anna Todd or participate in the #SuspendAnnaTodd tag on Twitter (because if we get it trending again, that’d be pretty awesome). You can also blog on Tumblr about it — rant your hearts out, voice your opinions to anyone who will listen, make a ruckus. Hell, go to your nearest bookstores and boycott the book if you’ve got the guts to do so. Keep making a big deal out of it, make sure Anna Todd and her “Afternators” cannot ignore how much opposition is lined up against these awful fanfics. 

Basically, the movie might not become a movie, but that doesn’t mean we should quietly wait for it to flop. If you want a job done right, you gotta do it yourself.