Chapter 2

My scar girl

After the bell rang, I immediately packed my stationary and leave for home.

On the way back, I felt something weird stirred in my stomach. A bad feeling. Cold sweats begin to form on my forehead and hair stood still at the back of my neck. 

 

Someone is telling me to run. A voice in my mind. Telling me to run and escape.

 

RUN.

 

I turned to my back and see if anyone is following me.

 

No one. Just me.

 

I brushed off the uneasiness and placed my hand over my chest, trying to calm myself down. Something is really wrong, I have to get back home right now.

 

I fasten my pace but eventually broke into a run. 

 

Just when I was about to reach home, I saw the door knob was twisting around, instinct took over me as I ran to hide behind a neighbours' storage room which was just beside my house.

 

I peeped.

 

Several men walked out of my house, dressed in black and their face were concealed by a black mask. It was hard to decipher who they are.

 

I tried to eavesdrop what they were talking about but they were all talking in a language that I could not understand.

 

They walked past haltingly as they scrutinised the surrounding. It was as if they were looking for someone. When I caught one of them was about to look at my direction, I immediately turned back my head back to ensure that I'm completely hidden by the silhouette of the storage room. 

 

Even though i could not see the man, i can feel him walking nearer and nearer to me by the rustling sound of the dead, dry leaves on the ground. My heart was pounding relentlessly against my ribs as I held my uneven breath, afraid that he could detect that.

 

When he was about to reach the back of the room where I was hiding, I was suddenly embraced by a person. 

 

Immediately, I struggled in his arms and was about to shout for help when he spoke in my mind.

 

'Don't shout. I'm here to help you.' 

 

I blinked at the familarity of his voice. He was the one who was telling me to run just now!

 

I looked up and saw his face which was full of concern and worry.

 

'Don't worry. They can't see us here.'

 

He embraced me even tighter than before as he stared hard at the man who was now standing at the corner, scrutinising the empty spot that made him felt that that was a presence in front of him. 

 

After a few agonizing minutes, the man finally turned his back and walked back to his group with much hesitance, thinking hard why he felt a presence but there was no one there.

 

I let out a long sigh of relief as I hugged the figure in front of me while he gently patted my back.

 

'You stay here while I go and check if they are gone, okay?' He was about to leave but I held him back by his hands.

 

'Don't leave me alone here.' I don't why but I just developed a reliance on this person that I barely know for a few minutes. Probably because of the situation I am in now.

 

'Okay. But you have to be really careful. They might still linger around here.'

 

I nodded as I held his hands even tighter.

 

When he turned and walked in front of me, I noticed that he had a mark or maybe a tattoo, coincidentally positioned under his left ear, like my scar under my ear. But the only difference is that his one is more beautiful than my hideous scar. 

 

I thought, does he even know I am a freak? Probably he don't. If he knew that I am a freak that most people despised and aloofed, he probably won't even save me.

 

He looked around before leading me out to the walkway, to my house.

 

I slowly pushed the door open and my heart sank.

 

My house was in a total mess. The contents in the drawers and cabinet were all being thrown out on the floor.

The cake, food and presentson the table which were for my birthday party were all destroyed and the cream of the cake was smeared on the marble floor. The tag that wrote 'HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY EUNBYUL' was thrown on the floor, with a few footsteps printed on it.

 

What happened?

 

Then, a trail of blood caught my attention and I followed, hoping that what I am thinking right now isn't true. 

I found Dad lying on the floor, in a pool of blood. A knife was stabbed through his abdomen and his lips was pale white and eyes were shut. 

 

I kneeled down beside him and held his hand tightly. 

 

His hands were freezing cold.

 

'Dad! Dad! Please wake up. Please don't leave me. Please!' I screamed at Dad, hoping that by doing this, he will wake up and be alright again. 

 

Dad did not respond at all and I somehow know that nothing is going to bring him back to me.

 

Not wasting any time, I immediately stood up to find Mum, with the guy followed behind.

 

I took a quick glance around the room and there was no sight of Mum. I ran up the stairs and saw Mum lying lifelessly outside my room, with a metal box in her hands. I stomped towards her and saw her breathing weakly. 

 

There is a ray of hope.

 

'Mum are you okay?' I held Mum's cold hands tightly.

 

Mum flickered her eyes open slowly and smiled weakly. 

 

'Darling are you okay?' Mum said with pauses in between each words forcefully.

 

I nodded many times to ensure I am okay as words are all trapped in my throat and not making their way out easily.

 

'Take this box and make sure you read it. I'm sorry that I cannot protect you any longer.' Mum whispered as she pushed the metal box to me and her breath turn uneven as seconds goes by.

 

Mum turned to the guy who kneeled down beside me.

 

'Keep Eunbyul safe from the evil, Taehyung. I love the both of you. Be safe.' 

 

Blood spilled out of Mum's mouth when she finished her last sentence and the blood forms a red patch on the carpet.

 

'Mum! You can't leave me alone!' I cried as I buried my face to her shoulder. Tears drenched and soaked Mum's clothes. 

 

Things shouldn't be like this. Mum and Dad shouldn't be dying. We are supposed to be happy right now. We are supposed to be cutting cake and laughing at jokes. We are supposed to be singing the birthday song now. Mum and Dad are supposed to be laughing at me wearing my new dress that they gave me as my present, not lying here, dead. Why did things had landed into this state?

 

A hand was placed on my shoulder as Taehyung turned me and hugged me tightly. 

 

I backed a little, looking at him with teary eyes. 

 

'Don't you have power to protect me from the man just now? Can't you save my parents using your power?' I said with much difficulty in between my sobs.

 

He used his thumbs and wiped my tears that were escaping from my swollen eyes.

 

'They have been stabbed by a special knife that was meant to kill keepers.'

 

'Are my parents keepers?' I looked at him, hoping him to say no so that my parents can be save.

 

Taehyung nodded.

 

'The stab is irreversible.'

 

He hugged me again, calming me down from my cry.

 

'What am i going to do now? How am i going to live all alone?' I mumbled against his shirt.

 

'I will take care of you, Eunbyul. I'll keep you safe with me.' Taehyung  reassured as he the back of my head affectionally.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for reading!!! 😊