The Fire

The Cabin: Volume 1

   Wendy was almost done preparing everything for the surprise her and her Mom had just planned for Irene. “Mom, thanks for your help with this, you too Dad,” said Wendy.

   “You’re welcome, sweetie, it’s our job to help you out,” said Mr. Son.

   “Do you think she’ll be surprised or even want to go with me?” Wendy asked as she closed the overnight bag she had been packing.

   “Well…you can never be sure, you may have to take a few minutes to convince her, but I’m sure she’ll go with you,” Mr. Son grimaced jokingly. Wendy frowned, “I’m kidding, Wendy, of course she’ll go with you.”

   Mrs. Son glared at Mr. Son, and then laughed.

   “Just remember what we talked about last night, Wendy, be totally honest, like you were with us. It took courage for you to tell us what was in your heart, now tell the person who really needs to know,” Mr. Son said encouragingly.

   “You redeemed yourself with that advice,” Mrs. Son teased.

   Wendy laughed, “Thanks.”

   “Now just one last thing before you leave,” said Mrs. Son.

   “What?” said Wendy.

   “You have to go wake up Irene….”

   “Oh…right.”

   Wendy tiptoed into the guest bedroom.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

   Wendy was surprised at Irene who had just popped out suddenly from the bathroom, “Did you just catch me talking to myself?” Wendy asked.

   “Pretty much…” said Irene smiling.

   “Welp, that’s embarrassing,” Wendy said in English.

   “What did you say?” asked Irene.

   “Oh,” said Wendy switching to Korean, “I said that you seeing me talking to myself was really embarrassing.

   “It was cute,” said Irene, “and…..maybe a little embarrassing. It’s not the first time I’ve caught you doing that. Just the first time you realized that I had actually caught you.”

   “Cute and Embarrassing: A Novel by Son Seungwan,” Wendy joked, “In stores Winter 2015."

   Irene chuckled.

   “I made cocoa while I was busy talking to myself, want some?” asked Wendy?

   “Wow, cocoa, that means you’re serious,” said Irene.

   “I am serious.”

   “Me too,” said Irene. 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

   After settling in on the comfortable couch, Wendy became fidgety, her face scrunched in thought, she tapped her hand on the mug she was holding, and kicked her foot nervously.

   “Are you ready to talk, Seungwan?” Irene said calmly, “It looks like you may explode from all the thoughts swimming inside your head.”

   “Y-yes, Unnie.”

   “Haha,” Irene laughed, “no need for titles here, this is your territory.”

   Wendy cleared and prepared herself to speak, “Joohyun, I brought you here to spend time with me, to show you how special this place is to me."

   “Yes....”

   “I know how angry you were with me this week, you were angry and I was afraid,” said Wendy.

   “Afraid of what?” asked Irene.

   “Afraid, that you may not feel the same way about me that I feel about you.” Wendy said, “I know we’ve struggled with our feelings for one another, but we’ve got to say the truth out loud...to each other.”

   Irene looked away to the blazing fire, “I wasn’t angry with you, Seungwan, how could I be angry?” she said, “I….I was jealous…..and hurt by what you were doing to me. Avoiding me, I thought you just brought me along for the ride, but now I understand.”

   Wendy peered at Irene who was still staring at the fire, “I know I’ve hurt you, but what were you jealous about?” she said as she grabbed Irene’s hand and entwined their fingers.

   Irene thought for a moment and answered, “I was jealous of your friends, of how well they knew you, of all the time they got to spend with you. I could hardly even keep up with your conversations and I felt left out. Why would you need me when I couldn’t even understand what you were saying, my English is terrible. Then I was hurt because I didn’t think I had any right to feel jealous.”

   “I should have been helping you along the way, I’m so sorry, instead of helping you, I only made things worse. I’m sorry you felt that way. I’m sorry I hurt you,” said Wendy. “I promise I won’t ever do that again.”

   “What, make me feel jealous?"  Irene asked with a slight smirk.

   “No, inadequate. I promise not to make you feel inadequate or unwanted. You’re all I want or need. This whole time, I’ve been afraid to admit that. Admit how much I like you. My family, my friends, I was afraid that they would know the truth," said Wendy.

   “The truth?”

   “The truth of how I want, no need you more and more everyday, the truth of how much I love you,” said Wendy.

   “You said that a lot this week,” said Irene with a grin, Wendy looked confused. "You said I love you to all your friends if I understood correctly," said Irene.

   “Of course I love my friends,” said Wendy, “but I’m in love with you, Bae Joohyun.”

   Irene sat for a moment.

   “Any thoughts? Or am I alone on this island?” Wendy asked.

   Irene blushed just thinking about Wendy’s confession and gripped the hand that was entwined with hers. “I’m in love with you too,” she whispered quietly.

   They both smiled.

   “Do you forgive me?” Wendy asked.

   “hmmmm….” thought Irene.

   “Please?”

   “I forgive you, and anyway, you’ve started making it up to me with this classy cabin,” Irene laughed.

   “Started?" Wendy gulped.

   “We’ve got the rest of the weekend here right?” Irene said.

   "Yes....just so you know though, you have every right to feel the way you feel about me!" said Wendy.

   "Good, that makes the two of us," Irene smiled.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

   With the serious talk over, Wendy felt a lot more at ease, so much so, that she was practically laying on top of Irene while they watched a movie. After finishing the first DVD, eating a ton of popcorn, laughing, and relaxing, the pair stayed on the couch and cuddled.

   “Will you come to bed with me later?” asked Wendy, unaware of how it sounded.

   “Wow, we’re just figuring out that we like each other, and you’re already skipping to that step, you’re minds really in the gutter, Wan-ah.” Irene joked.

   “I didn’t mean it that way,” Wendy yelled.

   “Instead of staying on this couch like I was talking about earlier you want me to stay with you in the only bed in this cabin?” said Irene.

   Wendy nodded.

   Irene leaned into Wendy’s ear and whispered seductively, “Of course, I’ll share my bed with you.”

   Wendy blushed, and watched as Irene began to lean in even closer, just as she was about to reach Wendy’s lips, Irene spoke up, “Want some more popcorn?”

   Irene jumped off the couch laughing and headed to the kitchen, “pick out another movie, Wan-ah, butter or no butter?”

   “No butter, “ Wendy yelled, “……you tease, “ she whispered.

   “I heard that,” Irene screamed back, “and I’m just getting started.”

   "I guess I won't let her know that the couch actually turns into a bed then! Score!" thought Wendy to herself.