The Goodbye

The Cabin: Volume 1

   The rental car was packed and ready to go, as the four stood on the driveway to say goodbye. Wendy was busy saying talking to her father, while Irene was speaking to Mrs. Son.

   “We’re so glad you decided to come with Seungwan, Irene,” said Mrs. Son, “Now you are a part of our family.”

   “Thanks for having me, I promise that we’ll come back as soon as we can, and maybe when everything’s settled back home, we can bring the other girls too, I know they would love it here,” said Irene.

   “I’ll be counting down the days till you come back, make sure you call me, Irene, not just when Seungwan calls.”

   “I will, we’ll both call as much as we can,” Irene walked closer to Mrs. Son. This time it was Irene who initiated the hug, “Thank you for everything, Umma.”

   “Thank you for thinking of me as your mother, Joohyun-ah. Remember what I told you last night, let me know if you need anything,” said Mrs. Son with a wink, “Now let me trade you my daughter, honey” she said letting go of Irene “I need a proper goodbye from her as well.”

   Irene switched places with Wendy, and even got a hug from Mr. Son, “Take care, Irene, I know we’ll see you soon,” he said. “Listen, I know Mrs. Son said to call her, but don’t make that exclusive, you can call me as well, we both have cell phones,” he joked. “I’m just proud of you and Seungwan for following your dreams and your love for one another, I know I leave her in good hands.”

   “Thanks, Appa – I mean Mr. Son,” she corrected herself.

   Mr. Son laughed, “You can call me that, it sounds nice, if she—he pointed at Mrs. Son—gets Umma, then I get Appa.”

   They both chuckled, “Thanks Appa, I’ll be sure to take care of Wendy,” she leaned closer to him, “and I’ll be sure to keep you updated too.”

   “You’ve got my number, right?” he joked again, “I’m just glad you have each other.”

   “Me too, I’m glad we have each other now too.”

   After the goodbyes, and a few tears from Wendy and Mrs. Son, the new couple hopped in their car and set off for the airport, they had a plane to catch.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

   After the cabin, the new couple knew they would be heading back to an unknown situation, still in the car headed to the airport, a sort of mystery hung in the air.

   “I’m not happy to be leaving, Wendy,” said Irene, “But I am glad that we’re going back home together.”

   “Me too, I’m going to miss the time we spent here, but we’ll be back,” said Wendy.

   “I’m really going to miss your family, they were really great to me, Umma – I mean your mom…”

   “You can call her that, I heard her tell you that you could, besides, it’s really sweet, you’re part of the family now. Does that sound too weird?” Wendy laughed.

   “No, it’s not weird. What I was going to say was that Umma was really helpful the other night. I’m really glad I got to meet her and Appa,” said Irene.

   “I’m glad you got to meet them too,” said Wendy.

   A few moments and miles passed by and they were almost to the airport. Wendy grabbed Irene’s hand suddenly and broke the silence, “I really love you, I just wanted you to know.”

   “I really love you too, Wan-ah,” Irene gripped Wendy’s hand tighter, “You look like you have something to say, spit it out.”

   “I know we can’t tell the world about us yet, but do you think we should tell the girls? I’m pretty desperate to tell Seulgi,” Wendy blurted out.

   “Does Seulgi already know?” Irene asked curiously.

   “No, I mean, I think she knows I like somebody, but not you. At least I don’t think she knows,” answered Wendy

   “I think she knows I like someone too, she’s pretty perceptive,” said Irene.

   Wendy nodded her head in agreement. She let go of Irene’s hand to make a turn.

   “I’d really like to tell them, and I don’t think they would say anything to the company…” said Irene thoughtfully.

   “I don’t want to hide it from them, it would be too difficult, but I don’t want to alienate them, make them think we’ll be keeping to ourselves from now on. I still want to spend time all together,” said Wendy, her eyes never glancing from the road.

   “Me too, I completely agree, it wouldn’t be fair to them if we were to be by ourselves at the dorm all the time, let’s tell them,” said Irene decisively.

   “We can’t make a written statement though,” Wendy joked, “How are we going to tell them? Just face the music?” Wendy said in English.

   “Music? What?” said Irene.

   “Oh, we’re just going to have to tell them directly,” said Wendy.

   “Oh, got it, I think you’re right we’ll have to be as direct as possible. We still have the plane ride, we’ll think of the perfect way to tell them…well as perfect as it can be. Let’s not stress about it too much, everything will work out,” said Irene trying to convince herself and Wendy.

   “You’re right, it will work out,” answered Wendy, the sign for the airport came into view, “There it is, our ride home.”

   Irene looked to her right and saw the glare from a plane landing safely at the airport. The sun was bright and the reflection was bothering Irene’s eyes. They began to water.

   “Home,” Irene repeated as they drove closer to the unanswered question, “Are we heading home?” Irene’s thoughts were jumbled and confused.

   “Goodbye for now,” said Wendy as she took one last look toward the unseen, faraway cabin, before pulling into the airport.

   Irene was worried.

   But Wendy glanced over toward her and smiled and Irene thought that maybe home was right next to her. It had been the whole time.