The Movie

The Cabin: Volume 1

   Irene and Wendy walked into Wendy’s parents’ house and were greeted lovingly with hugs from Mr. and Mrs. Son, took off their boots. The pair took off their snow boots and coats in the hall and stepped into the warm living room. Mrs. Son was behind them guiding them to the couch, appearing excited and ready to talk.

   After they’d settled in, Irene and Wendy on the couch and Mom and Dad on the chairs across from them, Mrs. Son piped up, “Soooo…..how was the surprise trip you two?

   Irene smiled, “It was great Mr. and Mrs. Son, thank you for letting us use the cabin.”

   “You’re welcome, Irene,” said Mr. Son, “We were glad to let—

   “What all did you do there?” Mrs. Son spoke over Mr. Son enthusiastically.

   “Mom, calm down, I know you’re eager to hear how things went,” Wendy laughed, “Just to let you know, Irene feels the same way I do….we’re together.”

   Mrs. Son got up from her seat across the room and ran to the new couple, gathering them in her arms. Irene was a bit alarmed but began to smile when she saw Mrs. Son crying, “I’m glad everything worked out, thank you for saying yes Irene.”

   “Wendy told me about your words of support, and you don’t know how much they mean to us. I’m going to take care of Wendy no matter what, I love her.

   “We give you our love too,” said Mrs. Son.

   “We need it, and me especially, I’m glad Wendy informed you beforehand of the situation, I would have been too nervous, I’m already nervous to tell my parents, I’m not sure they’ll feel the same way that you do Mr. and Mrs. Son.”

   “I’m standing beside you, no matter what,” said Wendy, grabbing Irene’s hand.

   “And we’re standing behind you,” said Mr. Son.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

   Later that night, Wendy’s mom suggested they all gather and watch a movie that she had picked out. The four of them sat on the couch together and Mrs. Son pressed play on the DVD player.

   When the title card popped up, Wendy was surprised that it was a horror movie. “Mom, why did you pick this out, you know this is going to freak me out, “ she said in English.

   “It’s okay, Wen, this is a great movie, I’ve seen it before,” said Mrs. Son.

   “What’s wrong?” Irene asked in Korean.

   “Mom, picked out a horror movie, she knows I don’t like stuff like this.”

   “Oh,” said Irene.

   “Hey, go fix some popcorn,” Mrs. Son said to Mr. Son. He glared for a moment but got up and went to the kitchen.

   “I’ll go help him,” said Wendy,”he might burn it.”

   The three women laughed, “Good idea, sweetie,” said Mrs. Son.

   “Besides, I want to see as little of this movie as possible,” Wendy grumbled as she walked away.

   Being that Irene and Mrs. Son were sitting beside each other in the middle of the couch.

   As soon as they’d gone, Mrs. Son paused the move,“I was hoping she may join him in the kitchen,”she said quietly, “that’s why I picked out this movie. I have some things to say…I want you to know that whatever happens when you decide to tell your truth, that we’re going to support you. I know it’s going to be tough when you get back home to Korea, you’ll have to hide your feelings in public, but don’t give up! You sounded a little apprehensive about telling your parents and things are different there than here, but I’m only a phone call away if either of you need me. My daughter means the world to me, and I’m happy that she’s found you.

   Irene had begun crying because of Mrs. Son’s warm words. She knew how much more difficult she may have it than Wendy in terms of telling her parents, but didn’t want to worry Wendy about it. Just the fact that she knew Mr. and Mrs. Son were behind her made her feel better.

   “Thank you so much, Wendy and I promised to be honest with each other. I’m not sure how to tell her about my parents, she knows it may be difficult but I really don’t know how they’ll react. It won’t be like you.”

   “Wendy’s strong-willed, she’ll be right by your side, and will probably say her peace as well. She’s not going to let you go, and I hope you won’t let her go either,” said Mrs. Son.

   “I never will, I love her, she’s precious to me, I’m incapable of hurting her in that way, whatever it is that my parents may say.” said Irene.

   “I know you love her,” Mrs. Son smiled, “you’re like my daughter now though, so remember that you’re precious too.”

   Mr. Son and Wendy appeared again with the popcorn.

   “Mom, did you pause the movie?” asked Wendy.

   “Yes, we just sat here and talked till you guys came back.”

   “Great,” said Wendy, “now more horror for us to watch.”

   “Don’t worry,” said Irene, “I’ll be beside you.”

   Wendy plopped down on the couch and grabbed Irene’s hand, “Thanks, I’ll be beside you too, but I’m not sure how much help that will be, I really get scared.”

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

   “Noooooooo…..” shouted Wendy as she sat up in bed in a cold sweat.

   Irene woke up and grabbed Wendy’s hand, but Wendy tried to shake her off.

   “Wendy, it’s me, Irene. Calm down, it was just a dream.”

   “I’m so sorry,” Wendy said sleepily, I knew that movie would give me nightmares…will you get me some water?”

   “It’s going to be alright, lie back down, I’m going to get you the water, be right back okay?”

   Wendy slumped back down on her pillow.

   Irene walked down to the kitchen to get the water for Wendy, she was halfway through filling the glass when she heard Wendy scream again, “IRENE! Where are you?”

   Irene took off running with the glass, and saw that Wendy was also running towards her.

   “Irene, where did you go? I woke up and you weren’t there!”

   “I went to get you water, see?” Irene showed Wendy the glass, “You woke up from a nightmare and asked for water, I was coming right back.”

   “I must’ve really been out of it, I’m sorry, I was so scared because of that movie.”

   “It’s okay, come here,” Wendy walked with Irene over to the recliner. Irene placed the water glass on the lamp stand. They both sat comfortably in the chair together.

   “Don’t be frightened, I’m right here with you. That movie we watched wasn’t real,” Irene said as she placed her hands around Wendy’s waist and gently massaged.

   “I just woke up and you weren’t there.”

   “I know, but I didn’t leave you,” Irene leaned towards Wendy and kissed her cheek, “Here, take a sip of this water, and let’s get back to bed, you must still be sleepy.

   Wendy took a long sip of the water.

   “Go back to your room, I’m going to take this glass back to the kitchen, I promise that I’ll be right there,” Irene smiled, and even in the dark Wendy could see it.

   “Okay,” said Wendy.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

   After Irene had washed the glass and put it back in the cabinet, she headed back to Wendy’s room but heard a whisper on her way there, “Irene,” it was Mr. Son.

   “Irene, thank you for taking care of her, I heard her yelling and her Mom told me to come to help, but you already had it under control.” He said.

   “You’re welcome, sir, but it’s not just me taking care of her, she takes care of me too,” she smiled.

   “You take care of each other…better get back to Wendy before she comes looking for you again,” Mr. Son laughed.

   “Goodnight,” said Irene.

   “Goodnight,” and they parted ways.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

   Irene got back in bed and huddled close to Wendy, “Get me warm, Seungwan!”

   Wendy turned towards Irene and put her arm around her, “Joohyun, it wasn’t just the movie that scared me.”

   “What was it then?” asked Irene.

   “Losing you.”

   “You’re not going to lose me,” Irene said, “It’s going to be very difficult when we get back to Korea, I’m being honest, you were right about that, It’s going to be even more difficult with my parents. I have no idea what they’re going to say. They’re not going to congratulate us and welcome you to the family like your parents did, at least I don’t think so. Everything’s going to be tough, but you’re not going to lose me. I promise.”

   Wendy stayed silent for a moment, “no matter what, we have each other?”

   “Yes,” said Irene, “and we’re going to spend the rest of time taking care of each other.”

   Both were quiet after that until Wendy broke the silence, "Irene?"

   "Yes?"

   "Did you think the movie was scary?"

   "....well...."

   Even in the dark, Irene could see Wendy's eyebrows lifting.

  "Yes, that movie was really scary," Irene joked.

   They both laughed. After that they snuggled together, and Wendy didn't have anything but sweet dreams.