The Couch

The Cabin: Volume 1

   Irene watched Wendy closely as she changed lanes and got off the highway. Wendy was a careful but assured driver, diligently looking in the rearview and side mirrors, and keeping her eyes on the road. In contrast, Irene couldn’t sit still. She fidgeted and continuously looked out the window. Irene, a bundle of nerves. Wendy didn’t have an ounce of anxiousness as she drove, or if she did she didn’t show it. This would be Wendy’s first time seeing her family in a long time. It would be Irene’s first time meeting them at all. She wondered if the tension she was feeling would affect her when she met Wendy’s parents.

   “Wendy, what should I say when I meet your parents?” Irene anxiously asked.

   Wendy smiled. “Just introduce yourself like you normally would. “

   “Like I normally would,” Irene thought. She began to practice aloud the standard kpop greeting that she had been taught for so many years.

   “Not like that, silly.” Wendy laughed. “Just say hello.”

   “I’m so n-n-nervous,” said Irene, “I won’t be able to speak properly.”

   “Just a quick warning though, we’re a family of huggers. But don’t be nervous, you’ll be just fine, and I’ll be right by your side, Joohyun,“ said Wendy. Irene visibly calmed a bit after hearing her real name being spoken.

   Irene knew they were close to Wendy’s home and though she had been comforted by Wendy’s words, she could still feel the butterflies in her stomach.

   Wendy made the last turn, and began to pull into her childhood home’s driveway. The beautiful home was covered in snow and looked cozy even from the outside. It was idyllic.

   Wendy turned the rented car off and glanced at Irene whose lips were slightly moving. She  appeared to be practicing the new greeting she might say to Wendy’s family.

   “We’re here,“ said Wendy.

   Irene was startled by Wendy because she had been practicing, but was even more startled as she looked up and saw someone bound from the front door. A woman with a red sweater made it to the car in record time and opened Wendy’s door, pulling her into a hug.

   “Seungwan,” she whispered in her ear, “you’re home.”

   Irene quietly exited the car and made her way to the driver’s side where the reunion was taking place. The woman looked up to see Irene standing there wringing her hands together, unsure of what to do.  Irene noticed the look and instantly averted her gaze.

   “Annyeonghaseyo, I am Bae Joohyun,” Irene said as she deeply bowed.

   Wendy and the woman smiled. “Mom, this is Joohyun, my bandmate, my….friend, “ she said.

   Wendy’s mom walked up to Joohyun and leaned into her, “Welcome to our home,” she said in Korean and put her arms around Irene in a hug, “we’re so happy to meet you.”

   Irene was unsure but began to hug Mrs. Son too. Looking over her shoulder she saw Wendy beaming.

   “Now, let’s get inside,” said Mrs. Son, “It’s cold, your father will grab the bags.” She let go of Irene and began to walk toward the house. Wendy’s father met them walking in and also hugged them both before retrieving the bags from the car.

   Wendy sidled up next to Irene, “I warned you about the warm hugs, right?” she said.

   “…..yeah….y-you did,” Irene said.

   “Good, now let’s go inside and let me show you my room……”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Irene was snapped out of her reverie as Wendy pulled down a long dirt road. She had been asleep for a little while or at least that’s what Irene thought. She’d been dreaming about the first day at Wendy’s house. That first glorious day that they had shared with Wendy’s family. She had dreamt of her nervousness and the warm hugs she’d received. Maybe that was what she would have to look back on for fond memories.

   Irene noticed the road narrowing and narrowing and wondered why Wendy had brought them all this way. They went over a road of ice and deeper into a forested area until they’d reached a clearing.

   “I want you to wear this," Wendy said. She had pulled out a bandana from her bag.

   “Really?” asked Irene

   “Please, it’s a surprise,” said Wendy.

   “Alright, let me have it.”

   When Irene had put the bandana over her eyes, the road to wherever they were headed seemed rougher but eventually it evened out. When they finally reached their destination, Wendy stopped the car and rushed out, practically running to the passenger’s door and tearing it open

   “We’re here, “ she said, “Let me help you out.”

   Wendy grabbed Irene’s hand and gently helped her out of the car. “I’ll take the bandana off now.”

   As Wendy pulled the bandana off, Irene was temporarily blinded by the bright sun reflecting off the white snow, but once she got her bearings, Irene really was surprised.

   "Wow….” said Irene.

   Atop the hill they were on sat a quaint and beautiful cabin, a sight seen in paintings.

   “I decided last minute to spend the rest of our time here with you. This is my family’s cabin.” 

   Irene was definitely surprised and truth be told, she was impressed, a whole cabin for just the two of them. This seemed like a romantic’s dream come true. But even in this moment, Irene was still thinking of the other disappointments from the week and it showed in her face.

   “I know you’re upset with me, Irene,” said Wendy, “but I want to do this for you….and for me. Will you stay here with me?”

   Irene looked at Wendy with thoughtful eyes but eventually nodded her head yes.

   “Thank you…….want to go inside?” Wendy asked.

   “Yes.” 

   “Good, let’s go then, I can’t wait to show you what it looks like inside.”

   Both of them grabbed their bags and began the trek inside. Irene couldn’t help but smile at the excited Wendy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   As they stepped through the door, Irene was impressed again. The cabin was large inside and looked gorgeous.

   “You can wander around a bit while I get the power and heat , “ said Wendy.

   And so Irene began to wander and explore the cabin. It was technically a two-story house with a loft serving as the second story. Irene assumed that’s where the beds would be located. A beautiful fireplace lined the wall in the living room, and a comfortable looking couch could be seen as well. The décor was natural and accented the wood that had been used to build the home.

   Irene spotted the staircase and decided it was best to pick out one of the beds and put her clothing away. She made her way to the wooden stairs and walked up them to the loft area. When she reached the top, she looked around and noticed an alarming mistake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   “Wendy,” Irene shouted, “Wendy come here.”

   Having just figured out the power, Wendy was shocked to hear Irene screaming so loudly for her. She ran through the kitchen and straight up to the loft, where she found Irene standing with a look of complete shock.

   “What is it?” said Wendy, “are you okay?”

   Irene pointed in front of her.

    “….What is it?” said Wendy confused.

   “Problem…”

   “What’s the problem?” said Wendy still looking to where Irene was pointing.

   “……o-one……there’s only one…..bed.” said Irene

   “Oh, I know,” said Wendy. “We can share.”

   “Are you sure?” said Irene, “want me to stay on the couch?”

   “What a strange problem to have,” said Wendy.

   “yes….but….” Irene was shocked.

   “We share all the time in Korea and I want to share now too.” said Wendy.

   “We do share in Korea, but won't it be different here?"

   “We’ll figure it out tonight, okay? No worries.” Wendy smiled.

   “ok,” said Irene

   “We have the rest of the day! Want to go outside in the snow and play?”

   “Sure,” 

    “Let’s change and meet downstairs in 20. I’ll take the downstairs bathroom. See you in a bit." Wendy walked away and headed back downstairs.

   Irene was dumbfounded. What had just happened?

   “What about the comfortable looking couch?” she thought to herself.