The Radio

The Cabin: Volume 1

   Irene fiddled with the radio dial for the 20th time that morning. She was tired and annoyed to say the least. Wendy had practically dragged her out of a warm bed and into the passenger’s seat of their rented car to go on a “special trip.” Irene wondered if she even had a change of clothes available, but knowing Wendy, she probably had that and much more packed and ready to go. Wendy and Irene had already crossed the world together so Irene wasn't sure what would make a few more miles “special.”

   For a week, Irene and Wendy had been in Canada visiting Wendy’s family and friends. This vacation was billed as an exciting journey, a chance to spend time together, and Irene started the week with a smile. She knew how much it meant to Wendy to be travelling home and Irene jumped at the chance when Wendy had asked her to come along. What seemed thrilling at first, the chance to travel with Wendy, meet her family, and see a new country, soon turned into confusion for Irene. As idols in Irene’s homeland the rules were well known. Show skinship, but not too much, develop a relationship, but don’t go too deep. Show the fans that you love each other, but not in that way. Create chemistry that looks realistic. So after Irene and Wendy had done these things for months, they had delved too deep. They were more than just friends yet undefined at this point. Heavy thoughts and feelings hung like a cloud in their dorm and even though they clung to each other and secretly knew the others thoughts neither of them were able to confess. What would they tell each other, how could they last, what about the other two members. Questions turned over and over in Irene’s head like a spinning wheel. Irene thought by accepting Wendy’s invitation maybe their problems could be worked out, they could finally talk about their situation. Maybe they could find a way to be together, even if everyone else thought it was wrong.

   The times spent with Wendy’s family were great the first day, the glitches began to arise when they met up with Wendy’s friends every day after . The language barrier was a rude awakening for Irene, even though she knew a little English, it didn’t help when Wendy and her friends talked a mile a minute. Wendy had been unable to translate and after a while stopped trying. She had never seen Wendy like this. It was tough going. The culture shock and food was strange for Irene as well. With friends around, Wendy had become distracted. Irene wondered if Wendy even knew that she was ignoring her.

   One night, when they crowded into Wendy’s home for a party, Irene was left out once more. She knew Wendy had to accommodate her guests but Irene was a guest too. She couldn't even get near Wendy once her friends crowded her. Having not seen her, they cornered Wendy, smothered her at times and because of that Wendy had not even looked Irene’s way. Later that night, she found herself in the room where she was staying alone and wondered why she had even come.

   The problems they’d had in Korea were even worse here. Nothing was resolved. They had barely spoken. Irene wasn’t sure who this Wendy was but it wasn't the same person she knew.

   Thought-filled and unsatisfied with the radio, Irene slumped in her seat and whispered to Wendy, “Where are we going" 

   “It’s a surprise, " said Wendy, “you’ll know when we get there.”

   It was a surprise to Irene that Wendy had even heard her speaking.

   With a silent nod, Irene turned towards the window and watched the snow and trees whip past.

------------------------------------------------

   Wendy had known midway through the week why Irene was acting strangely.

   Being back in her home was special for Wendy. To be able to physically see her family and spend time with the people she grew up with was amazing. She’d brought Irene to show her what her life had been like before she went to Korea. Irene was special to her. At first a friend, but now something more. But what defined more? Wendy wasn't sure. So she’d spent the week avoiding the problem, and avoiding Irene, whom she’d invited. Irene was the girl, no woman that she cared deeply, insanely for. Wendy had been frightened of what the others may say if they’d been seen close together. Even so, Irene was someone she should be proud to tell her friends and family about. Wendy had only been seeing what was in front of her, not who was constantly standing beside her, holding her hand, asking for reassurance. “How awful must Irene think I am,” Wendy said to herself.

   Wendy had seen Irene turning the radio dial, “Do you want to put in a c.d.?” she asked, knocking herself out of her personal thoughts, “There’s not much on the radio.”

   “Whatever you like, “ said Irene, not even bothering to look Wendy’s way.

   At that moment, Wendy promised herself they would iron out the misunderstandings and she would apologize to Irene for what she’d cruelly done all week—cater to her friends first, family second, and Irene last or not even at all. Irene deserved to be taken care of and Wendy knew she’d neglected her responsibilities. “Irene,” she said in her head, “so lovely, quiet, kind, beautiful, will you forgive me soon?”