Stars

JINHOON ISLAND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A tall man in his mid-twenties strolls down the street. Music was blasting in his earphones blocking all the noise and letting him reminisces all the beautiful memories they once had in this place. He stops on his trail, closing his eyes as he smells the familiar aroma coming from the bakeshop they frequent before. It’s his favorite bakeshop since it’s the only one in this neighborhood who bakes banana cake, his favorite dessert. He smiles bitterly, maybe it’s meant to be just a memory now. How he fight over the last piece of the cake and how he stuff himself with it. Maybe the way he orders the same dessert almost every day will be just a fragment of his memories.

 

He continue walking, smiling from time to time. Images flood his mind and he can’t help the tears that tried to escape his eyes but he immediately wipes it away with the back of his hand. He was now standing where they had their first kiss under the rain because both of them were frustrated and mad at the world who can’t understand the two of them. He looks around and saw the coffee shop where he accidentally spilled out his feelings and where his feelings were answered.

 

He still remembers the crazy thing they’ve done just to hide their relationship in the disapproving eyes of the people around them. One of them will lie to their parents just so they can have the whole weekend somewhere far away. Or they will sneak out at night just to have candle light dinner because their parents will never approve of their relationship.

 

He still remembers how they will go up in the hill just a few blocks from his house. They will lie there in the grass or sometimes a mat and they will just watch the stars. They will hold a contest of who can spot the brightest one but he always loses because he always looks at the dull one.

 

The way he always extend his arms and act like he is reaching the stars and how many times he asked the same question but he always respond the same answer. How he will intertwine their fingers and promise to him that they will be each other’s stars no matter who shine the brightest.

 

He remembers it too well. How he snore, how clingy he is, how he smile and laugh at the lamest joke, how he always made a heart shape with his hand every time he audition because it’s his booster. He remembers how he encourage him, how will they spend a whole night getting wasted because he didn’t get in.

 

He remembers when his parents caught them inside his room, kissing. He remembers how they fight for it. How they stood up together and hold hands tighter. It’s a tough battle but soon their parents give up and just let them and as the time pass they eventually support them and accept the fact that they are both in love.

 

It was such a sweet story started when they are in high school to college but everything turns bland because of one decision he made.

 

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

Standing at the front of the coffee shop, he peaks at glass wall looking for one person and there he is. He is sitting at the far corner, a book in his hand and a smile on his face. He pushes the door and chimes accompany it. The man turns his head to his direction and he stand excitedly, hopping slightly at his trail as he make his way to him. The man opens his arms, asking for a big warm hug and who is he to turn down such an offer. He beams at him; high cheekbones popping out and eyes disappearing as he let his body be enveloped with warm arms.

 

“I miss you.” The man mumbles tightening the hug before releasing him.

 

“I miss you too hyung.” He answers and they settle at their table before the waiter came and take their order.

 

“I’ll have Macchiato.” The man with a smile on his face (that he loves so much) says to the waiter.

 

But you’re never a coffee drinker. He wants to say but opted to just order his Espresso. The waiter leaves them with a bow.

 

“So how are you? I heard you’re working with Dad now.” The man asks him settling the book he is reading inside his bag.

 

“I’m fine hyung and yes I’m working with him.”

 

“Stop calling me hyung. Jinwoo is fine besides we’re almost the same age. Right?”

 

But you always love it when I call you hyung. He smiles bitterly, guess he will do that a lot from now on, but Jinwoo didn’t notice it. Of course he wouldn’t.

 

“We haven’t talked for like a year. Why did you stop sending me messages?”

 

Because no matter how many times I did, I can never turn back time.

 

“Been busy since I started working.” Jinwoo nods in understanding and he wish their coffee comes faster because all this setting just reminds him of their past. Every Sunday sitting at the café with his Espresso and Jinwoo’s apple juice.

 

Silence ensues with both of them just looking at each other’s eyes but he turns away because it’s not supposed to be a reunion of two ex-lovers. This is a reunion of friends, best-friends to be exact.

 

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

“Jinwoo can you slow down?” It sounds and taste bitter to him. He never calls him with his name and so is the other.

 

“Seunghoon come on. I told you to prepare for this.” It’s so hard to listen to his name, it never been that hard but because it’s Jinwoo he feels like thousands of knives stabs his heart. It doesn’t sound sweet just like how it used to be.

 

“Why am I stuck with you again?” He finally catches up with the man and he drag him at a fallen tree trunk to sit and rest for a bit.

 

“Because mom told me to spend time with you.”

 

Of course she will ask you for that.

 

“But why here?” Why in the place we held our promises of forever? Why in the place where you used to tell me your dreams for us, for both of us?

 

“Mom has been telling me this place and she said it’s amazing that I better check it out and she told me you’re the only one who can bring me here.”

 

“It’s more than amazing if you bring your special someone there.” It will be more amazing if I’m still that one.

 

“I should bring him here then when he arrives.” Jinwoo stands holding his hand and as they go up to the hill their fingers intertwined.

 

It feels so perfect

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter