The Intruder

❤♡ One Shot Collection ♡❤
The Intruder
Staring: Lim Aemi (OC) x Kim Myungsoo (Infinite) / Song Heejin x Kim Minseok (Exo)
Words: 5,288 words
Genre: Romantic Comedy
 


 
The term soulmates was as nonsensical as the belief of Santa Claus' existence. It was a bedtime story told to hopeless romantic girls—and boys, cause gender equality—to believe in a non-existent fairytale. Plus, it was a way to increase the sale of those equally pathetic romcom Hollywood movies. The marketing strategies might have worked on any other woman her age, but not to Lim Aemi. Nope. She was a realist.
 
“I think I may have found my prince,” her best friend, Heejin, said one day during lunch break. Her eyes were shimmering with streams of rainbow hearts and unicorns, Aemi felt bad to break her bubble.
 
“Princes don’t exist unless they were from a royal bloodline. And if they were, they wouldn’t mingle with us commoners in this city,” Aemi said, as always, a realist.
 
Heejin’s smile turned upside down. “You’re no fun,” she whispered softly.
 
Aemi felt a little sorry, but she did not want to allow any capacity for nonsensical thoughts. It wasn’t that she had zero tolerance for imagination, but there was a thin line between enjoying imagination and believing in delusions. Her best friend was on the verge of the latter. A dangerous territory.
 
“Okay,” she began, poking her fork on a grape as she challenged her friend. “Tell me about this prince.”
 
“Well, his name is Kim Minseok, and he is,” Heejin paused to count on her fingers, “Three years older than us. He took my order at the coffee shop today and said I look pretty when I smile.”
 
Aemi raised her eyebrows, seeing the immediate shift in Heejin’s elation. Look at the way her body unconsciously swayed from side to side, her fingers clasped tightly against her chest, and her eyes emitting fictional hearts. She was releasing thousands of dopamines, the cells responsible for any infatuation related feeling.
 
“I hate to break it to you, but what if he says the same line to every girl?” She asked, plopping the grape into .
 
“No. I watched him for a while, and I know he didn’t say it to any other girl,” Heejin said a little defensively. But then she sighed, and after several seconds, curved her lips into a smile. “I know you’re just worried about me, but you don’t have to be. I know Minseok is really kind, and I really wished I could get to know him more. It would mean a lot to me if my best friend could help out?”
 
The way she spoke was always so harmless and adorable. Aemi couldn’t help herself from smiling against her will, watching her best friend plea with her lips jugged forward, a move she couldn’t resist.
 
“Fine,” she gave in and placed her fork on the empty plate. “I shall help you because you're my best friend.”
 
***
 
Honestly, Aemi regretted her decision as soon as she walked back to her apartment after class ended. Heejin was known for her endless ramblings when her mind was set on one thing, so it was with no surprise she started talking of several possible scenarios on how to develop their relationship. Somehow it included unrealistic scenarios of mean ex-girlfriends, an equally sadistic future mother in law, a life threatening disease, or supporting friends hooking up together.
 
“You’ve watched too much dramas lately,” was all Aemi said, but even the small comment triggered an onset of several other scenarios in Heejin’s mind. So Aemi chose to stay silent, giving few comments here and there to be a good and supportive friend. Whatever conclusion Heejin came up with, she’d support it.
 
The conversation drained more energy than expected. Who knew making unrealistic romantic plans would take up so much brain work? Aemi shook her head, looking forward to return to her bed and rest. Her hand dug into her clutch, a routinized rhythm whereby she’d retrieve her house key just ten steps before reaching her front door. But this time, she had an uninvited visitor.
 
Aemi halted immediately, her expression filled with such confusion when she saw a stranger meddle with her door handle. He was trying to push something small inside, then tried yanking it open by force, using his foot and all for added strength.
 
Aemi couldn’t believe it. Someone was trying to break into her apartment!
 
She quickly looked around her, searching for an object of self defense. The intruder did not even try to disguise himself, openly revealing his face in broad daylight. The black outfit from head to toe was his only attempt to dress like typical burglars would. Aemi could never understand why they chose to dress suspiciously in the first place; had they dressed in normal business attires, no one would’ve placed any suspicions.
 
She was too occupied in her thoughts she forgot to search for a weapon, or to dial 911 for that matter. Not a smart move, Aemi. Her eyes quickly scanned over the area to make up for her lost time. Rows of doors leading to other apartments were on her left, a fence and the scenery of the park from the 7th floor was on her right. There was nothing of use.
 
In that spur moment of tension filled seconds, she accidentally met the intruder’s eyes. He looked at her the moment she decided to look up, realizing he had a boy-next-door kind of visual. Not the type of guy you’d think of as the friendly neighborhood burglar.
 
Then, he had the audacity to smile—the dazzling kind of smile that could make girls fall at his feet. It would’ve worked on those visual driven woman, but not her. It had zero effect on Aemi. Her fears began to deplete, replaced by a sudden annoyance. If he thought his looks and charming smile could permit him to intrude her apartment, boy, had he met the wrong match.
 
“What do you think you’re doing?” She regained the confidence in her voice. Aemi clenched her house key in her hand, realizing it was good enough as a weapon in case something happened.
 
“Sorry, I’m new in the neighborhood. I was trying to get into my apartment, but I can’t open the door,” the guy said, chuckling a little sheepishly. He showed off the dimples to the side of his lips, which could’ve invited girls into his apartment. But not her.
 
Could he be mistaken? Did such things actually exist in the real world? How drunk must he have been to mistake his own apartment? Her eyes darted to the key in his hand, noticing the same keychain that was attached to every key from the landlord. It was a large red colored plaque containing their apartment number, as if it were sending obvious signals to potential kidnappers by exposing their habitat. The error on his part must’ve been intentional.
 
“Maybe that’s because you got the wrong apartment,” Aemi said, trying to sound as friendly as possible, adding a dash of smile to the intruder.
 
“What? That can’t be. I’m in apartment 707,” he said, looking so lost with the key dangling from his hand.
 
Aemi suppressed her annoyance behind her smile. “You must be mistaken. 707 is my apartment.”
 
Instead of admitting his mistake, the guy frowned stubbornly. “No, I’m sure it’s my apartment. The key I received clearly states 707.” Now he held his key up along with the stupid red plaque. Clearly, what was written there wasn’t 707.
 
“It says 701,” she said curtly, forcing a polite smile. She didn’t intend to embarrass the guy, but there was no choice when he was too brainless.
 
He brought his key closer to his eyes, as if looking from up close could magically change the numbers to 707. It was clear he wasn’t willing to let this go without a fight, so Aemi sighed in defeat.
 
Figuring he had the 701 key, he must’ve been an actual new resident—though an incredibly stupid one at that. So she decided it was safe to show him where she lived.
 
“I'm sorry for doing it this way, but I need to get home,” Aemi said, slightly shoving him aside to get access to her door. She inserted her own key, rotated it, and heard the satisfying click of shifting metals. She was still on guard, quickly retracting the key to use as a weapon again.
 
The guy’s jaw fell open in utter shock, and perhaps, some embarrassment. The look made Aemi feel a little more superior, taking pride in her smirk of victory.
 
“You should learn how to differentiate the numbers one and seven,” she said, striding past him to enter her apartment. “Maybe then you wouldn’t look like you were trying to break in people’s house.”
 
The last thing she saw was the anger sinking over his face, ready to made a comeback when she mercilessly shut the door in front of his face.
 
What a strange guy. She hoped to never meet this new neighbor ever again.
 
***
 
The next day, Aemi did not deem the meeting worthy enough to be told to her best friend who was, as expected, talking about Minseok. This barista guy seemed to cross off the ideal guy checklist in Heejin’s head. How was that even possible? Ideal guys don’t exist—our minds simply begin to confirm to the realistic standards placed before us, translating it into the image of perfection.
 
Certainly not like her new neighbor who truly couldn’t use his brain. If he couldn’t even differentiate numbers, how will he get far in his career?
 
She dismissed all thoughts of him and was about to continue drinking her soup in the cafeteria when a familiar figure appeared. That same intruder was now on school grounds, walking around in a physical form and not as a fragment of her imagination.
 
Aemi wrinkled her nose. He attended the same school?
 
“Hey, what’s wrong?” Heejin asked, noticing the silence in Aemi. She even waved her hand in front of her face, trying to gain her focus. “You've been daydreaming.”
 
“Sorry, I was thinking of something,” she mumbled.
 
Heejin waited for a few seconds before her friend would open up, but realized she wasn’t planning on doing so. “If you wanna talk, you know I’m all ears. Maybe I won’t have a clear solution, but sometimes it helps to just rant and let it all out. Like how I usually rant about my projects to you! You’d actually feel a lot better.”
 
Aemi smiled at her, proud to have Heejin as her best friend. She was always so positive and cheerful on the outside, which complemented her cool and composed state. But when Heejin broke down, it was Aemi’s strong mentality that lifted her spirit up. For that reason, she adored their friendship.
 
Obviously, she couldn’t keep things a secret from Heejin who would notice the changes sooner or later. So she started, “There was a guy yesterday...”
 
“Oh my gosh! Love at first sight?”
 
“No.” Aemi flattened her eyes, a visual cue requesting Heejin to focus. “I thought he was trying to break into my apartment. Turns out he got it wrong cause he mistook 701 and 707.”
 
Instead of joining the frustration wagon, Heejin began to laugh instead. “That’s actually really cute. Mistakes like that tend to happen. I mean, the numbers at your place uses a weird font anyway. Remember I was lost the first time I came to visit your apartment? You can’t really blame the guy.”
 
Well, she supposed her friend made a good point. Perhaps it wasn’t entirely the fault of the guy and his lack of wisdom. Beside, if they were going to be neighbors, it would be better to make a peace treaty. Aemi didn’t like living with a grudge anyway.
 
“Maybe I should talk to him,” she decided, getting up from her seat.
 
“He’s here?” Heejin’s eyes went wide, suddenly as excited as a child would be on Christmas morning to unwrap presents.
 
Aemi said nothing, cocking her head to a guy who sat at a table filled with guys and several girls. Huh, so he had acquaintances.
 
“Oh, he’s handsome. But Minseok is more handsome,” Heejin uttered dreamily, of course making a romantic remark that was uncalled for.
 
Aemi shook her head and decided to approach the guy’s table. Maybe she should’ve brought something with her as a form of peace offering, but then figured her kind words would be enough.
 
She stopped beside the table, clearing to notify him of her presence. As soon as he saw her, his laughter died down, as did his friends’.
 
“It’s you,” he remarked, deprived of any emotion. Aemi couldn’t tell whether his recognition was a happy greeting, or a ‘please leave me alone’ kind of greeting.
 
“I want to apologize if I may have been rude yesterday,” Aemi began, straight to the point. On second thought, she had no interest trying to decipher his reaction. “Your poor arithmetic skills and inability to decipher two different numbers from each other shouldn’t be put to blame. As my friend pointed out, the font used to print out the numbers were a little unclear, so I can understand why you mistook my place and tried to break into it like a burglar.”
 
The guy frowned at her, and it was easy to decide this as an angered expression filled with a slight tint of embarrassment. Not exactly the effect Aemi was expecting, but it would do.
 
Suddenly, the entire table began to roar out in laughter. They weren’t laughing at her, but at him.
 
“Myungsoo, I can’t believe you can be that stupid. You got the wrong house?” One of his friends, the tallest one among them all, spoke as he slapped Myungsoo’s back.
 
“How is that even possible?” The prettiest one among them asked, showing more concern than mockery.
 
The intruder, whom she presumed was named Myungsoo, quickly got up from his seat and pushed Aemi to walk along to a more secluded part of the cafeteria.
 
“Just because I made a mistake doesn’t mean you have to rub it in my face and embarrass me,” he hissed.
 
“Embarrass you? I was apologizing for my wrong and presumptive thoughts,” Aemi said, completely aghast by his reaction.
 
“No, you were publicizing my mistakes.”
 
“So you do acknowledge your wrong doing? You should be the one doing the apologizing,” she now demanded instead.
 
“What? It’s not like I broke your door or actually barged into your apartment. I have nothing to apologize for,” Myungsoo said, and it was hard to tell whether he was trying to settle their argument or spark a bigger fire instead. “But if it pleases you, then I apologize.”
 
“That’s not genuine,” Aemi remarked.
 
“As if you sounded any different with your accusations,” he narrowed his eyes. “Point is, I apologized. So stop spreading rumors about me trying to break into your house cause we both know it didn’t happen. My mistake was an accident.”
 
Aemi shook her head, watching as he turned around to head to his table. The reconciliation episode that was supposed to help her feel better had the opposite effect. She was done trying to act all nice. She’d label this Myungsoo guy as someone she hoped to never see or speak to again.
 
***
 
Clearly, her plans didn’t go as smooth. Since they lived in the same apartment, on the same floor, and headed to the same school, a chance of encounter was inevitable. Aemi nearly contemplated taking the stairs, knowing the intruder—the nickname didn’t quite rub off from him—was inside the elevator. Plus she was late, so she couldn’t afford wasting time trying to avoid him.
 
“Thank you,” she mumbled. Because no matter how frustrated she was, she was raised to exhibit proper manners.
 
He said nothing, but chose to mock her through a small scoff instead.
 
This agitated Aemi who made a clear effort to remain civil. She turned to him with a glare. “What is that supposed to mean?”
 
“Well, for someone who enjoys pointing out people’s mistakes in public, you do not come across as someone who possesses common courtesies,” he explained, shifting his head to meet her with a mocking smirk.
 
Aemi rolled her eyes. “Just because you’re incapable of performing day to day tasks, which every normal human being should be capable of, doesn’t mean you have to find faults in me. I wasn’t embarrassing you, I am merely stating the facts. It’s not my fault if you are a little… brainless.”
 
Myungsoo turned to face her entirely, his breath rigging heavier with anger. “You may have mistaken me as an intruder, which I admitted was a mistake on my part, but what’s worse is that you’re labeling me and judging my knowledge without even knowing me.”
 
“I apologize,” Aemi was quick to utter, a faint echo of his earlier half hearted apology at the cafeteria. Clearly, this was done sarcastically too. If her tone didn’t give it away, her lazy eye roll would.
 
Myungsoo was about to counter her words when the elevator reached ground floor and opened its doors. Aemi did not wait for him and stepped outside, unwilling to listen to his arguments.
 
***
 
Cases like these happened almost everyday, and Aemi purposely tried altering her schedule a little to avoid meeting him. Sometimes she’d be up extra early, or slightly later—she couldn't afford being completely late or it would be her loss—but he would always be there. Sometimes he was silent, and she unconsciously started a remark that could lead into a bigger argument. And if she was quiet, he’d be sure to heat up her temper by giving more meaningless side commentaries. Whatever it was, it was clear to declare her feelings for him as one of extreme dislike.
 
“Ah, the tests were so difficult,” Heejin wailed, stretching herself over the cafeteria table at the regained freedom. Their end of semester exams were officially over, and all they had to do was wait for their final grades before entering the Spring semester.
 
“It was,” Aemi reinstated the opinion. She had already retrieved a few of her own exam papers, receiving satisfactory grades for most of them.
 
“Have you checked your grades yet? I’m too scared to check mine. I don’t think I did well,” Heejin pouted, which made Aemi laugh in response.
 
“I’m sure you did well. I did my best, but only got a B for most of them. I got an A for Japanese, but that’s the highest,” Aemi spoke with a casual shrug. She had taken out her exam papers before Heejin inquired to see them and laid it out on the table.
 
“Wow! You’re so smart,” Heejin uttered in pure amazement, looking over the grades of her friend’s exam paper.
 
“Smart?” An uninvited voice intruded their conversation.
 
Aemi jolted her head sideways, frowning when she saw Myungsoo looking down on her. His eyes scanned over her scattered exam papers, and it tilted his lips into an annoying smirk she wished he would stop showing.
 
“If you’re so smart and I am so brainless, then explain how I managed to get better grades than you,” Myungsoo said, throwing a pile of papers on the table.
 
Heejin was more curious and began browsing through his exam papers as Aemi decided to keep her cool and seem as interested as possible.
 
“Oh my gosh! You got all A’s!” Heejin remarked, hanging agape with bigger amazement than the one she held for her best friend.
 
Aemi remained calm, turning to Myungsoo with her lips pressed in a thin line. “What point are you trying to make?” She asked.
 
“That you shouldn’t judge a person’s intelligence by a single error. One mistake does not cover up a hundred of rights,” Myungsoo said, and there was a clear attempt to prove himself. He spoke with some sort of desperation to have her retract her words.
 
“Okay, point taken,” Aemi said as detached as usual. She took his heap of exam papers and handed it back to him. “I told you I’m sorry. You aren’t academically brainless after all.”
 
Myungsoo scrunched his eyes, knowing she was giving a half hearted apology again. He noted the addition of the word ‘academically’ as if being book smart was all he would ever be.
 
“If I were you, I’d be really embarrassed at this point. If the guy whom you call brainless gets straight A’s, what does that make you and everyone else who doesn’t?” Myungsoo said, walking away from their table.
 
Aemi chose to remain quiet, her gaze glued to the mark on her own paper, along with a circled C written in red ink. She was embarrassed. She knew she had been wrong. But her pride didn’t allow her to succumb to Myungsoo’s words. The guy was so annoying he didn’t deserve an actual apology anyway.
 
Heejin stared at her in silence, her lips puckered as she thought of a way to cheer her friend up. “Hey! Wanna help me out?”
 
The offer was quick to make Aemi forgot her dilemma. “Sure,” she said.
 
“Since exams are over, Minseok asked me out on a date. But I was too embarrassed to be alone with him, even though I do enjoy spending time with just the two of us. But I kinda asked him if it was okay to bring a friend, so he said he would bring a friend too. And now it became a double date.”
 
Aemi had that judgemental expression on her face again. “You said I’d tag along without asking me first?”
 
“Yes, cause I thought you would be willing to help me.”
 
“Of course I would. But a date?”
 
Heejin began pouting again. “Please? You’re the only one who knows about my crush. I can’t possibly take anyone else. Just one night. It can help you take your worries off everything else as well. Okay?”
 
When she was being so adorable, there was no way Aemi could have resisted. She did make some good points, and this could be refreshing after their exams. Beside, she wanted to be there to witness her best friend and her prince become a couple.
 
***
 
Aemi would like to believe she was a good and supportive best friend to Heejin, so she did whatever was required of her. If she had to play the role as the accompanying date in the background, she’d comply to the request. She chose a dress in black, one that would make sure she wouldn’t stand out above Heejin. Her best friend was the star today, and she’d support from the sidelines.
 
As expected, Heejin wore a cute red a-line dress which was appropriate for her adorable and cheerful image. Minseok was bound to fall for her or he must’ve been blind.
 
“You look great!” Heejin complimented.
 
“Not as great as you. Let’s go in,” Aemi said, smiling as her friend’s smile faltered a little. Her anxiety was clearly stated on her face, and it made Aemi chuckle a little. “It’s going to be fine. He is your prince after all, right?”
 
Those words were enough to cheer Heejin up, and she happily skipped inside the fancy restaurant. Aemi had to give props to Minseok for choosing this high end looking place that resembled modernized Western fine dining restaurants. The atmosphere was dark, and the light was dimmed all the way down to ensure you could still see, but not too much. Soft lounge music played in the background as a waiter came to them.
 
“Table for two, miss?”
 
“No, we actually have a reservation under the name of Kim Minseok,” Heejin corrected.
 
“Ah, the two gentlemen already arrived. Please, this way,” the water said, carefully guiding them into the depth of the restaurant.
 
Most of the tables were occupied with couples or a group of friends, but no one had a double date kind of scenario like they did. The steak looked delicious, and Aemi hoped her monthly budget could cover it.
 
“Over here, miss,” the waiter’s voice broke her thoughts, directing the two of them towards a table where two gentlemen were already seated at. One of them was Minseok, who immediately got up and greeted Heejin with a peck on her hand. Too old fashioned for Aemi’s taste, but it made Heejin giggle. Then the other gentleman turned around, and all hell broke loose.
 
It was Myungsoo.
 
The look on his face indicated his own surprise, looking appalled, and perhaps even a little intimidated. It made him look a little boyish despite the formal dress shirt he was wearing. Note, he was dressed in black from top to bottom.
 
Heejin must’ve made the same observation as she anxiously flickered her eyes between Myungsoo and Aemi, knowing the two weren’t exactly fond of each other.
 
“This is my friend, Kim Myungsoo,” Minseok introduced.
 
Myungsoo got up from his seat, extending a hand to Heejin. Then he turned to Aemi, making the same formal introduction.
 
“Lim Aemi,” she went along with the flow, as if they never met before, as if she didn’t dislike him. It occurred to her that they had never actually formally introduced themselves until this point.
 
Minseok tagged the seat beside him for Heejin, forcing Myungsoo and Aemi to sit together on the opposing side of the table. Heejin muttered a quick “I’m sorry,” looking more apologetic than ever. But Aemi dismissed it, flashing a quick smile for her not to worry. It was Heejin’s night, and her personal vendetta wasn’t going to ruin it for her best friend.
 
“Here are the menus,” the same waiter said, giving them two food menu and one for the wine selection. It left them no choice but to share as they selected a dish.
 
“Why are you here?” Myungsoo whispered, holding the menu to cover their face from their friends.
 
“Heejin’s my best friend. She asked me to accompany her,” Aemi whispered back, which sounded more like an angry hiss. “Why are you here?”
 
“All of Minseok’s friends were busy. I’m the only one available tonight.”
 
“Lovely,” Aemi muttered sarcastically. “This proves my theory that you have no life. Do you stay at home all day to study and watch anime?”
 
“Hey… I do, actually,” Myungsoo was quick to give in. It wasn’t something he’d like to argue with.
 
“Oh,” Aemi was surprised, not expecting them to share something in common. She cleared , having to remember whom she was dealing with. “Anyway, since I am doing this for my best friend, I will do my best to ignore my dislike for you. I don’t wanna ruin this for her.”
 
“Your dislike? You’re the one constantly attacking me when I have been nothing but civil,” Myungsoo said, unable to help his tone from being raised.
 
Aemi spontaneously pressed her finger against his lips, a quick attempt to keep his voice low. “Shoving your grade in my face wasn’t exactly civil,” she continued.
 
“I would have no need to do so if you hadn’t called me brainless,” he began raising his voice again.
 
“I called you brainless because only an idiot would mistake a one for a seven.”
 
“It was a common mistake. Why can’t you let it go?”
 
“Because—”
 
Aemi trailed off, realizing they had let go of the menu to cover themselves. What started out as a whisper turned into a heated battle which disrupted everyone else in the restaurant, but most of all, Heejin’s lovely date evening with Minseok. What was wrong with her? Aemi wasn’t the type to do such embarrassing things in public.
 
“Do you two… know each other?” Minseok asked unsurely.
 
The moment Myungsoo said yes, Aemi said no. And that small difference was able to spark an annoyed grunt from Aemi.
 
“We are neighbors,” Myungsoo then elaborated. Idiot, now they’d seem close, which they weren’t.
 
“What a coincidence. This double date is perfect since we all know each other,” Minseok said, just as delusional as Heejin was when blinded by her fluttering feelings. Aemi could see they were already perfect for each other.
 
“Yes. So carry on your conversation with your princess, as you’ve been calling her,” Myungsoo said, referring to no other than Heejin. The girl blushed, as did Minseok.
 
“He actually calls her a princess?” Aemi asked with a laugh.
 
My princess,” Myungsoo specifically corrected.
 
“Heejin always calls him my prince as well,” Aemi said, starting to laugh at the ridiculous nickname.
 
“So I take it that I am not the only one who found it ridiculous?” Myungsoo asked, mirroring her laughter.
 
“Unrealistic and delusional, perhaps, but whatever keeps them happy.”
 
“Exactly my thoughts.”
 
Aemi stared at Myungsoo in a new light. Laughing with him instead of at him was actually quite enjoyable. He wasn’t so bad after all when they weren’t constantly trying to rip each other apart. Besides, if he was one of Minseok’s close friends, he couldn’t possibly be that horrible?
 
The rest of the night carried off more pleasant than she could ever imagine. Since she wanted Heejin and Minseok to grow closer together, she was forced to keep conversing with Myungsoo for the remainder of their time there. She didn’t even realize the double date coming to an end when it neared midnight.
 
“I’ll take Heejin home. Since you two are neighbors, I assume you will make sure she gets home safe?” Minseok directed the question to Myungsoo, and he nodded.
 
Heejin looked at her prince, completely mesmerized at his manners. Not only was he thinking of her, but he showed such consideration for her friend.
 
“Of course,” Myungsoo responded. No protest. No anger. Just contentment.
 
Aemi smiled once more to Heejin, silently telling her to enjoy her night with Minseok. She could handle being alone with Myungsoo, especially now that she found her dislike diminishing little by little.
 
“So about earlier,” Myungsoo began as they walked through the cold night. “Why do you constantly point out my mistake?”
 
Her words had been cut off earlier, but it was an excuse for her inability to find the right explanation. Why? She wasn't the type to dwell on people’s mistake, nor did she like to embarrass people. Why was he given the special treatment?
 
“Could it be because…” Myungsoo trailed off, his voice suddenly frail and shy. “You wanted my attention?”
 
“What?” She turned to him, flabbergasted and panicked. The possibility would’ve never crossed her mind, but judging on the way her heart began to react, maybe it wasn’t that far off from the truth.
 
Was she unconsciously trying to talk to him? To get noticed by pissing him off? Because despite it all, she secretly enjoyed conversing and bickering with him. Whenever he appeared in sight, her heart began to panic, and she looked forward to talking to him directly.
 
“Because if that were the case, I need to make a confession too,” Myungsoo said, scratching his head as he refused to meet her eyes. “The only reason I keep bickering with you is because I’m interested in you. Everytime I waited at the elevator just to be able to walk to school with you, I realized it’s because I enjoy being with you.”
 
Aemi couldn’t help but smile at this, realizing her dislike was just a mask to hide her ever growing affections for him. Perhaps, she had been interested in him all along as well.
 
“You really are a brainless idiot,” she muttered, her voice laced with loving affection instead of her usual cold insult.
 
“Still smarter than you,” he remarked with a similar grin, threading his fingers around hers as they headed home.
 
The intruder who failed to enter her house, entered her heart instead.
 
 


I hope you liked it! I'm sorry if it isn't fluffy enough, I lost my fluff feelings.
But yeah, this is how I imagined Aemi and Myungsoo to be since they wouldn't exactly be the overly sweet kind of couple based on what I imagined.
So it came off as a cliche being-mean-cause-I-like-you kind of plot XD