perplexity and perpetuity

I don't think... I'm not in love with you
Please log in to read the full chapter

I don't think... I'm not in love with you

 

Hyukjae wakes up in the morning to something poking his cheek, and he has the fright of his life when he sees Donghae towering over him. The elder is so startled by the action and sight greeting him that he falls out of bed from pure shock.

 

“Why are you in my apartment?” Hyukjae asks, getting up but not trusting his own eyes. Rubbing his sore body parts, Hyukjae does a grand stretch and yawns, tears gathering in his eyes.

 

He watches Donghae scoff and fold his arms, before speaking in a cocky tone, “What do you mean, this is my house. And you fell asleep on me last night, so when I woke up I moved you to my bed for a more comfortable rest.” He states as a matter of fact.

 

Hyukjae could only nod his head dumbly, before he glances over to the clock and realises that he’s late for work. It’ll take at least an hour for him to get ready, then leave Donghae's house and go to the airport. Although, perhaps if he rushed, then there’s still a chance.

 

“Oh ! Hae, why didn’t you wake me up?” Hyukjae fumbles around, and Donghae doesn’t really know what the elder is trying to achieve. Put on his socks? But he's already wearing them.

 

“Please, Lee Hyukjae, you’ll be fine. Just say it was traffic or something important occurred in your family suddenly.” Donghae folds his arms.

 

“Ugh, you're no help.” The raven head groans, deciding to give up whatever he was trying to do and crumbles on the warm bed.

 

Donghae smirks sardonically. “Would Jieun be of much help?”

 

Hyukjae lifts his head and pulls an angry face. “Aish!”

 

***

 

Hyukjae is really confused. As soon as he enters the airport, his head chief calls for him. But, it wasn’t about him being late today (it would be so scary if the chief has some sixth sense that alerts him these types of information), rather it is a plot twist.

 

“Hyukjae, do you know the reason why I've called you here right now?”

 

Hyukjae shakes his head, “No, sir.”

 

“Actually,” The old man begins, solemn and majestic, making Hyukjae curious and deadly wary at the same time. “Actually, you’ve received a promotion to Singapore with a higher role there!” The burly man sitting in front of him smiles from ear to ear, mouth open and waiting for the young, but hardworking male’s answer.

 

“I may have to decline the offer sir, because I'm very satisfied with where I am.” Hyukjae bows apologetically.

 

The other man sighs heavily, eye beads rolling and thinking. “Are you certain? This is the best chance anyone could be offered! It wasn’t chosen randomly, but because of your previous excellent work history and management, the higher ups thinks it should be someone trustworthy sent to Singapore, and you obviously fit the description!”

 

Hyukjae only looks troubled.

 

“How about this, Hyukjae? I’ll make you a deal. Don’t blatantly reject this golden opportunity to expand your horizon, but give it a deep and serious consideration, okay? They’re not urgent right now, but I will ask for your answer again in the future. Don’t be too stressed kid, you're young, go out and have fun!”

 

***

 

“How was it?” Minho comes over and drapes an arm leisurely across Hyukjae's shoulders. The latter had been looking out of the glass screen of the airport, but snapped out of it immediately when Minho came.

 

Minho smacks his friend’s arm playfully. “Come on, don’t pretend I don’t know. How do you feel now that you’re getting a promotion, in Singapore?”

 

Hyukjae only shrugs. “Nothing really.”

 

“Your love line is successful, you are well loaded with wealth, your family’s circumstance is good, and now you're receiving a grand job offer. Why aren't you smiling until the corner of your lips rip?”

 

“I just don’t know, Minho-yah. I don’t want to lose what I've built up here.”

 

“Hyung, are you perhaps worried about your crush being stolen away? Let me tell you, why don’t you just…claim her already; make her your girlfriend, so when you leave for Singapore, you don’t need to fret about her being stolen by some other guy!”

 

Hyukjae furrows his brows. Claim who?

 

“Aish, Jieun of course! ‘Hyukjae oppa’, you guys are totally hitting off each other.” Minho mimics.

 

Just then, the walkie-talkie in Minho’s hand asks for help, and Minho has no choice but to leave, yet, he makes sure to leave Hyukjae with the most important message.

 

“Remember, claim her!”

 

***

 

True to Sehun's words, Donghae smiles against a cup of caramel macchiato every working day. The freshly brewed coffee emanates like the boy’s overflowing wittiness and charisma, which makes Donghae sigh and wish he is another five years younger or so. Now that he’s really thinking, maybe if he is younger than Sehun, or even only one or two years older; with his past confidence Donghae knows his younger self will definitely go after a boy like Sehun. He always wanted to sit under the stars and gaze at the sky; or snuggle together on the sofa—most importantly, he wants his partner to be like his best friend, understanding him at times he’s silent, upset, crying, or simply needing someone to talk or vent out to. He wants to feel lust, love and excitement as he goes through the stages of love with that special him. Of course, that person currently is Lee Hyukjae (minus the lust), but Donghae believes he’ll fine someone to replace that man.

 

“Boss?” Sehun calls, voice ringing clearly in the empty office consisting of only Donghae and himself. His eyes gleam with radiance and a hint of playfulness, and the innocent boy image makes Donghae's heart throb horribly.

 

“Y-Yeah?” The call startles Donghae, whom as a result flips his head up.

 

“Here are the reports you wanted.” As he speaks, Sehun places a stack of piled sheets on Donghae's desk.

 

“Thanks. An you also fetch me another cup of coffee please?” Donghae lifts his mug and shakes, indicating it’s empty. 

 

As Sehun is about to leave the room with the mug in hand, to personally prepare brewed coffee for Donghae, he turns back and smiles. “Don’t forget, boss, we have a meeting at nine tomorrow, don’t worry, I've already prepared your analysis; I’ll email it to you once I finish proofreading it.”

 

The feeling of being looked after, Donghae realises, is really, really nice.

 

***

 

Contemplating his life on his bed is what Donghae pretty much does these days. Arms wide, heart still, and the breeze caressing his face, the male could think over a thousand thoughts. It is his second best place to go to, to ‘talk’ out his feelings, and the first place? Lee Hyukjae.

 

Thinking of Hyukjae, he hasn’t spoken to the other for a few days. Maybe he should call the raven head. Reaching for his phone, Donghae is startled when the device vibrated in his hand as his ringtone comes to life.

 

But it is Sehun instead. “Boss, don’t forget you have a meeting at nine today, wakey wakey!”

 

“Hmm? Oh, okay, Sehun-ah.”

 

“Do you want me to come over and pick you up?”

 

“Ah, no, it’s okay. I’ll see you there.”

 

“Okay then!”

 

Hanging up, Donghae realises the feeling of being cared for is really, really nice.

 

His finger pauses on the call button, under the name best friend, but decides to call anyway. The phone is through after two rings.

 

“Hey Hyuk—”

 

“I'm busy.”

 

The line goes dead.

 

Rude , Donghae mumbles under his breath as he gets up, ready for work. And the prize for making him feel like without a doubt goes to…Hyukjae.

 

***

 

“Hey Hyuk—”

 

“I'm busy.” After locking his phone, Hyukjae mentally whispers an apology to his best friend, but the situation he’s facing currently is in dire need of his attention at once.

 

Early morning, and the airport become crowded with rowdy and rambunctious businessmen and travellers, complaining in sync.  The few people assigned with the role to keep noise and trouble down; Hyukjae, Minho, Kyungsoo, Jieun and a few others are scattered over and between the tourists, trying to calm down everyone.

 

“Everyone, if I may have your undivided attention please.” Hyukjae begins, mouth hovering next to the speaker, “Unfortunately, due to the terrible storm that has hit Seoul right now, all flights are delayed until seven o’clock. Further notice will be updated as the weather manifests, but for now, we would be grateful for everyone to calm down and wait patiently.”

 

More mutters spread across the extensive hall, sounds bouncing off the tiles and walls and echoing around the room.

 

“So far, I have two suggestions,” Hyukjae says, trying to please everyone. “For those who have an important event or meeting, perhaps it would be beneficial to remain seated in the waiting area. And, those who are travelling for sightseeing purposes, then I would advise those to consider travelling tomorrow; and this way, your journey won't be as compact.”

 

There are still some shades thrown here and there, some in Hyukjae's direction and some everywhere. Hyukjae only sighs under his breath. It’s going to be a long day.

 

***

 

“Finally, all those people are gone. Gone.” Minho groans out, stretching his arms and turning his neck. Kyungsoo nods eagerly next to him, his wide doe eyes b with fatigue.

 

“All I want right now is a hot bath. And chocolate cookie crumble.” Minho states, giving Hyukjae the paper in his hands. Hyukjae takes the sheet and scribbles his signature over the bottom corner, and then precedes to hand the sheet to Jieun. She accepts it cutely and signs as well.

 

Suddenly, Hyukjae feels very tired. He walks over to the empty seats and plops himself down, spine bending uncomfortably for the male to rest temporarily. Jieun follows with her sight first, and then quickly comes over to Hyukjae's side and places a neck cushion around the man, causing Hyukjae's eyes to flutter open at the feeling of soft; warm and caressing touches on his neck.

 

“Here.” A bottle of water is offered to him also.

 

Hyukjae accepts it with a smile, unscrewing the cap to take long gulps.

 

“You look tired. Take a rest, I’ll call you in twenty minutes.” Jieun stands up, about to leave when Hyukjae grabs her wrist shyly and looks down as he speaks.

 

“…Thank you, Jieun.” His fingers linger on her pliant and smooth skin.

 

She smiles sweetly. “Don’t thank me, it’s all part of my plan.”

 

Hyukjae raises his eyebrow in questioning.

 

The girl intern winks and grins mischievously, “It’s all part of the plan to make you slowly become addicted to me.”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t know why his heart thumps so hard against his ribcage.

 

***

 

Outside, thunder brews victoriously and the sky bawls rain. Donghae stands just under the entrance, the white building blocks of the dome shielding rain from Donghae. Of course, the only reason why the male hasn’t left yet is because he forgot his umbrella, and the sky is literally chucking it down, and Donghae isn't feeling competitive to rush home in the rain. At least, not today.

 

Just then, a small and squeaky voice calls out his name. Knowing fully who the owner of that voice is, Donghae puts a kind smile on his lips and turns around. “Hi, Sunny.”

 

Since the incident of Donghae catching Sunny and Taeyeon badmouthing him (well more like Taeyeon using her authority to brainwash Sunny), the girl has tried to make it up to Donghae. Like he said, Sunny isn't a bad character, just too naïve. Donghae sees the short black dress she is wearing, and the light make up with nicely done hair and a matching handbag; and concludes that Sunny probably doesn’t have an umbrella either.

 

“You also don’t…” Donghae voices.

 

“…have an umbrella?” Sunny giggles as she finishes his sentence.

 

They both chuckle. “But, Siwon's coming to pick me up. You can come for a ride home.” She offers.

 

Donghae makes a weird face, smiles apologetically and answers truthfully with a white lie. “Actually, no it’s fine! On second thought, I may have a spare umbrella in my office…I’ll just go fetch it.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes! It’s cool, and thanks for the offer.”

 

Just then, a nice red sports car races down the road and parks in parallel to where Sunny is standing. Siwon rushes out with a huge umbrella, jogging up the steps and wraps an arm around Sunny immediately. He then notices Donghae.

 

“Oh, hey Donghae.” Sunny — automatically — snuggles up to Siwon's build. “You want a ride home?”

 

Before Donghae could answer and repeat what he said to Sunny to Siwon, before anyone could react, another voice comes into the picture. “I knew you forgot to bring an umbrella.” As if mimicking Siwon, Sehun comes up to Donghae, tilts the umbrella he’s holding over Donghae head and wraps an arm around the elder. Donghae only stares and blinks confusedly, but catches on and smiles.

 

“Um…someone’s here to fetch me. We’ll go now.”

 

Then Sehun and Donghae walk into the wet road, with Sehun holding the umbrella for Donghae. Not only have I been protected, but also saved from a potentially embarrassing and awkward situation.

 

Siwon looks on with a frown. “Who is that guy?”

 

“He’s Sehun, Donghae’s new intern assistant. They're pretty close I guess.”

 

Whilst on the other side of the road, Donghae looks up to Sehun and feels his heart thump erratically at the closeness; at how he can feel Sehun's warm breath fanning over his neck, and how gentleman Sehun was a moment ago.

 

“Thanks.” Donghae says earnestly.

 

Sehun grins. “Next time you meet with situations like this, just call me.”

 

They look into each other’s eyes, and Donghae slowly feels the air being out of his breath. Okay, calm down heart, he’s only your assistant, he’s only looking up to you as a boss; nothing more. He’s only—…wait, is he really only just an assistant?

 

***

 

On arriving home, Donghae finds out that his brother had brought his husband and their adopted child over, as well as Donghae's sister with her daughter. Great, no rest for me tonight, he grumbles in his mind.

 

The first thing he sees is his sister pulling out his expensive suits and marvelling them, turning the hanger this way and that to see the fabric under different lighting. “And your uncle Donghae says he’s always busy, busy enough to still go shopping and buy pretty clothes.”

 

Donghae rolls his eyes at his sister’s words. Shrugging out of his slightly wet jacket, the brother says, “Actually, some of those are endorsements. And would you stop jumping on my bed, Zitao.” Donghae scowls at his brother’s adopted son but ruffles his hair (the boy is too cute); Zitao is making a mess of his bed. The boy giggles and rolls off the bed, opting to run around the room instead.

 

“And you,” he turns on his sister, “why are you rummaging through my clothing?”

 

She returns the frown and says nonchalantly, “Obviously it’s your brother-in-law; whom have spilt soup over his clothes. Again.” Donghae sig

Please log in to read the full chapter