doctrine and desecration

I don't think... I'm not in love with you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hi I'm back after 5 years of hiatus oops sorry

 

Does anyone still remember this story? Lol I wouldn't be surprised if you don't.

 

Just want to quickly say that I am back in writing mode again, can't promise regular updates but it is a priority of mine to finish a lot of my unfinished stories; I'm gonna try my best to upload as much as I can (with being in my final year at uni and whatnot lol). Also this website changed a lot so I'm still fiddling around with settings, fonts and whatnot. (this chapter looks different to previous but that's bc I don't remember what my settings and fonts were oops). 

 

Anyway, I'm v happy to be back and please enjoy!

I don’t think… I'm not in love with you 

 

 

To be completely honest, it was out of the blue when Hyukjae asked if Donghae wanted to join him on a short retreat. It was a spontaneous offer, and the casualness in the delivery made Donghae think that maybe the awkward night in Incheon should remain unmentioned. If Hyukjae could sweep the elephant in the room under the rug, so could he. Plus, Donghae isn't that keen to face his feelings just yet. Which brings to his current problem: packing. 

 

Staring at what seems to be a non-exhaustive list of items to pack for a mere one night and two-day trip, Donghae realises he may have over did it. Just a little. His eyes scan across the words hastily scribbled down in his notebook, pausing over P.C. as confusion draws upon his features. With fingers nimbler than mind, he dials Hyukjae’s number without realising.

 

“Hyukjae, what items do I own that begin with P and C?” Donghae muses the minute the other end connected.

 

“…P and C? That narrows things down a lot,” the guy huffs.

 

Rolling his eyes as one form of reply, Donghae continues. “It’s just that I’m packing, and I can’t remember what I’d had in mind when I jotted down P.C in a rush. I know for one it’s definitely not purple coat.”

 

“Knowing your fashion sense, I wouldn’t be too sure,” Hyukjae snorts, hearing the other male yelp offendedly. “A vacation with me, surely you wouldn’t need a portable charger? It’s not like you’ll be on your phone all day.” Hyukjae eludes.

 

“Portable charger, that’s it! Of course I’ll need one, you’re so boring to talk to, need to make sure my phone is topped up all the time. Thanks, I’m off to finish packing! Bye!”

 

•••

 

Out of the many things Donghae is expecting for this shared trip with Hyukjae, this is by far the most shocking. Repudiation thrums in his veins, but the male merely swallows back harsh words, opting for a rather forced smile.

 

“Hi Donghae oppa!” Jieun says saccharinely, hopping out of the front passenger seat the minute the car pulls to a stop.

 

Donghae tugs at his lips lazily in response. Wonderful, just wonderful.

 

Hyukjae has a I’m-so-sorry-I-promise-I-will-explain-everything-later grin on his stupid face and Donghae internally groans.

 

“Sorry for crashing your weekend getaway, Donghae oppa. Hyukjae oppa insisted on me staying out of this trip, but I just think surely Donghae oppa won’t mind me tagging along, because you’re not petty but rather generous.” Jieun offers a meagre explanation but a strong claim to which if Donghae refuses, he’ll be labelled ‘petty’. Of course, he wouldn’t want to abash the girl either, much to his pleasure.

 

“I’ve told Hyukjae many a time to invite you with us, but he kept saying you were busy with work,” Donghae returns courteously, continuing, “the more the merrier for trips, right?”

 

“Yay! I have a good feeling this trip will be so much fun!” She says, slipping into the front passenger seat once more. Hyukjae, upon noticing, immediately reaches out to say Jieun should pass the seat to Donghae who has carsickness.

 

“Oh, I guess it doesn’t matter where I sit since I’m third wheeling this trip.” A pout graces her lips, and her whole demeanour turns to that of a kicked puppy.

 

Heaving an innocuous sigh, Donghae says amenably, “Nevermind, I’ll take the wheel. Lee Hyukjae’s driving is slow like a snail.” He breaks his overt gaze on the mentioned male and slides into the driver’s seat with ease, body language familiar with the actions like muscle memory. Hyukjae swiftly moves Donghae’s luggage into the boot of the car before placing his in the front passenger seat, surprising Jieun who had moved to the back.

 

Once on the road, Donghae’s composure noticeably relaxes, with wind passing through his brown locks, a popular tune playing on the radio and with Jieun humming merrily along in the back. She has a family pack sized snack in hand, feeding Hyukjae every ten seconds. Donghae idles, before a hand holding a brightly orange fish shaped snack appears in his peripheral.

 

“Would you like one oppa?” Jieun asks sweetly.

 

Donghae musters a wry smirk, “no I’m fine. I’m actually a bit thirsty.” Jieun nods and places the snack into instead.

 

Hyukjae grabs a bottled water from god knows where and uncaps it before holding it out near Donghae’s face, with the latter grabbing the bottle without breaking his attention to the road and taking a gulp.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Jieun, seeing this interaction, smiles to Hyukjae. “I’m thirsty too!”

 

Hyukjae replies with ease, “would you prefer water or juice?”

 

“Guess.”

 

“What’s there to guess? You can drink whatever you like,” Hyukjae finds hilarity in Jieun’s response.

 

Just then, a phone starts ringing.

 

“Hey, pick it up for me,” Donghae says as he shuffles his leg in a way for Hyukjae to reach down his pocket and retrieve his phone.

 

“Hey Mrs. Lee,” Hyukjae greets amused. He turns to Donghae and says, “I think it’s dark chocolate.” Donghae has an inquisitive look adorning his face, which naturally cues Hyukjae to respond with, “your mum says ice cream is on sale and wants to know your favourite flavour.”

 

Donghae scoffs, his shoulder bunching a little as he bites back. “Acting like you know my favourite flavour.”

 

“Then what flavour do you want?” Hyukjae turns to the guy with an eyebrow raised. When Donghae merely chews on his bottom lip, a wide grin spread on Hyukjae’s face. I thought so.

 

Jieun is quiet in the back, looking pensive and in thought before addressing Hyukjae again. “What flavoured ice cream do you like oppa?”

 

Before Hyukjae answers, Donghae says, “he dislikes ice cream.”

 

“Oh.” Is all Jieun breathes out. Noticing this, Hyukjae recovers, “It’s not that I dislike ice cream, per se. I'm not as fond. But, if I had to choose a flavour, I think…vanilla is not that bad!”

 

“Right! Me too!” She assents, her voice cheery again.

 

Donghae made a left turn sharply, causing Hyukjae to slam into the door with an oompf before pulling the car into the parking lot. “We can take a break here, there’s toilets too for anyone who needs it,” he declares, turning off the engine. Jieun jumps out of the car and heads toward the public toilet.

 

Donghae steps out too, and walks towards the edge of the car park, standing, waiting. Hyukjae is on his tail as he stands opposite to the shorter guy.

 

“Look, I'm really sorry, but she was at the front of my house at dawn, and now that she's already here it’s not like I can chase her away.” Donghae’s expression doesn’t falter an iota hearing this, so Hyukjae apologises again.

 

“Why are you even apologising?” He turns around to finally look his best friend in the eye.

 

“Because you're clearly annoyed at me!”

 

“Oh, so you're apologising because of my annoyance but not because you went with ‘hoes before bros’?” Donghae vociferates.

 

“You know that if I was carnal why would I take you on a trip?” Hyukjae placates, raising his voice.

 

“Oh, so now it’s taking me on this trip.” Donghae rolls his eyes.

 

“Look, if I was and wanted to get some I wouldn’t have spent nearly four hours last night explaining this trip of ours to Jieun so she doesn’t get the wrong ideas.”

 

“And why should I shoulder these problems? If you never told her then there wouldn’t be a problem.”

 

“Hey, she's my girlfriend! Put yourself in my shoes for a second, if your boyfriend disappears for a couple of days, wouldn’t you want to know where they are before they go? Plus, I don’t want our relationship to be weird in the eyes of others.”

 

Donghae is about to extirpate Hyukjae with the power of his words when Jieun appears from nowhere and enquires cautiously.

 

“Are you two…fighting?” She swallows nervously.

 

“No!”

 

“Yes!”

 

Donghae and Hyukjae look at each other, before the former breaks the eye contact wearily and replies, “we like to spar violently with words.”

 

Hyukjae nods as he seats himself down nonchalantly.

 

“What were the two of you talking about?”

 

“Hyukjae was altercating the fact that he drives like a snail.” Donghae says, his body stiff as he sits on the driver’s seat.

 

Once Hyukjae is sat in his seat, Jieun wraps her arms around the seat and the person in it, feeling like she’s the luckiest girl in the world. Donghae only sighs to himself.

 

•••

 

After their arrival at the hotel and left their luggages in their rooms, collectively the trio decides to walk around the vicinity. Donghae walks several metres ahead of the couple constantly, despite Hyukjae calling out for him to wait for them.

 

•••

 

The sun is strong and Donghae wears no form of protection against the rays except a pair of sunglasses, a chilled peach iced tea in hand. Much further away, Hyukjae and Jieun are playing catch and running around like fools.

 

Hyukjae calls out to Donghae only for the latter to turn his head pridefully to the right and sip from his drink.

 

•••

 

Amongst the bustling crowds of tourists and locals, the trio stops finally to look around.

 

“I'm sure the famous restaurant is on this street,” Jieun opens the little brochure to check again.

 

Donghae’s eyes flicker from restaurant to restaurant, his eyes setting on a small noodle place. He doesn’t really care for eating the top 10 unmissable foods you must try (as advertised on the brochure); for heaven’s sake he’s hungry and tired and extremely hot, he just wants to find shelter from the sun and eat something.

 

“I’ll eat here,” he gestures casually, “you two can have a little romantic meal together elsewhere.”

 

“But, wouldn’t it be a shame to come all this way and not try the recommended dishes?” Jieun says hesitantly, a bit unimpressed with how nonchalant Donghae is treating this outing.

 

“Um, you know what, I think we should continue searching and let Donghae eat wherever he wants. I think he's probably really tired and hungry.” Hyukjae chimes in, glancing between his best friend and his girlfriend. Jieun reluctantly acquiesces, biting her lips before nodding curtly and pulls on the arm she has around Hyukjae.

 

Donghae halts in his step into the restaurant, wondering what is wrong with him for acting in this manner. Grumbling and displeased with himself, Donghae shakes his head in a poor attempt to clear it before resuming his footsteps.

 

•••

 

A couple hours after they arrive back at the hotel, Donghae is sitting on the balcony with a book in hand, an intricate cup of coffee on the small coffee table next to the outdoor sofa and with his legs stretching far from his body.

 

A content sigh escapes his parted lips, before he places his book down across his abdomen and closes his eyes, enjoying the slight breeze ruffling through his clothes. A train of quiet but near knocks cause Donghae to abruptly open his eyes and turning his head towards the sounds leads the male’s sight to Hyukjae. He stands in the balcony adjacent to the balcony next to Donghae’s, and upon meeting the latter’s gaze he waves a bit awkwardly.

 

Hyukjae is about to say something when his attention is drawn elsewhere, probably by the knocks at his door. Donghae rolls his eyes (a habit he has been doing an awful lot since coming on this trip), and sits up and takes his belongings back indoors, shutting the balcony door behind.

 

Meanwhile, Hyukjae is not surprised to see Jieun on the other side of his door. Her side profile is what greets his vision, her body slightly slumping against the wall, her eyes angling down.

 

“Oppa, there’s a local market a couple of miles from here, shall we go in a bit?”

 

“Why don’t you go with Donghae instead?”

 

“…You seem to be scared of Donghae oppa,” Jieun notes sensitively.

 

“Not scared, but rather reverence. Otherwise, this trip will be him accompanying us.” Hyukjae states calmly.

 

“So, you mean that I'm the one accompanying the two of you on this trip?” Jieun’s voice is barely audible, she walks past the male standing and sits on the edge of his bed. Hyukjae’s eyes trail after her, before a doting smile tugs at his lips. He closes the door behind and decides to sit next to her.

 

His gaze drops down to his hands, his fingers brushing against his arm carelessly, a thousand-yard-stare blanking his expression before he snaps out of his trance and looks up at the girl.

 

“Didn’t I tell you before, this is our shared tacit understanding of each other. If either one of us meets a setback in life, we would accompany the other to take a break from work and appreciate the wonders of the world; refuelling energy before heading back into work and continue tackling the problem.”

 

“Are you still mad at me for sticking along?”

 

“No, I'm not mad at you,” Hyukjae begins, forming his words carefully in his mind, “I'm just telling you this is a trio’s trip. Two people can reach a consensus, but three will have to form compromises.”

 

Hyukjae smiles seeing Jieun

Please log in to read the full chapter