doting and dating

I don't think... I'm not in love with you
Please log in to read the full chapter

I don’t think… I'm not in love with you 

 

 The next time the two best friends see each other is only three days after their recent meeting. Truth to be told, Hyukjae was a little nervous on his way to Donghae’s, but, as soon as the latter’s boyish grin came into view, everything flew out of his head. So, now, both sit comfortably in the train, traveling to Busan for the day.

 

“You know,” Donghae begins the conversation by cutting the quiet and peaceful tranquillity of the seven o’clock train they are currently boarding. “I’ve always had the dream of one day, suddenly abandoning everyone at home; mum, dad, neighbours, co-workers, you — basically everyone, and get on a bus without knowing the destinations and only having the morning sky to stare at with headphones in. Wouldn’t that be great?”

 

Hyukjae has a solemn expression, one that Donghae did not see because he is admiring the bright yellow and orange hues that devoured the sky; the same sky he is dreaming of to touch.

 

“Are you…feeling ‘trapped’ or under pressure?” Hyukjae jokes but the concerned voice does not go amiss with the younger of the two. Donghae turns around in his seat to Hyukjae whom was next to him, and smiles softly. Hyukjae's eyes caress the golden rays doing Donghae justice, lighting his features and making his lips look a lot more tinted pink.

 

“No, just wouldn’t it be amazing to start a new life? To be able to meet new people? Experience new emotions?” He wonders.

 

Hyukjae sits back in his chair, and glances upwards whilst thinking deeply. It would be nice, he guesses, but wouldn’t you start to miss your relatives and friends soon? He knows that he definitely would miss Donghae, and his own mother. Yet, a new beginning doesn’t sound bad at all, it sounds quite the opposite — bewitching and tempting.

 

“…I suppose you’re right. I would like to do that, and maybe the two of us could go hiking someday? You know, to talk about things under the dark sky; the only light source are the moon and stars?” Hyukjae muses, lips stretching into a wide and heart-warming gummy smile.

 

Donghae blushes lightly under his friend’s heavy gaze, and opts to look away in fear of the said male seeing him act so unnatural and girly. When did Lee Hyukjae look so good? Has he always looked so charming with the sun kissing him?

 

“I must still not be awake yet.” He mumbles, eyes closing. He could still see the red glow of the sun behind his closed lids.

 

“Aww, is our Donghae baby not used to waking up early on his off days from work?” Hyukjae coos like an idiot, despite the very few looks he receives from other passengers on the train.

 

Donghae ignores the dumb person sitting beside him, and chooses to think about potential life partners. Thinking about it, Hyukjae is one step ahead of him winning the money, with someone pursuing after him whilst himself on the other hand, is still a lonely soul; and destined to stay single (and lose the bet).

 

“I’m tired, Hyukjae-yah.” Donghae says with eyes still closed, but he shifts his body sideways to lean his head on Hyukjae's shoulder. It is warm, hard and comforting, like a mother’s cradle.

 

Hyukjae smiles, understanding. “Then rest on my shoulders and sleep. You know you can always rely on me.” His hot breath fans on Donghae's face, and the latter’s nose twitches slightly before Donghae snuggles deeper into his chest, not caring about what they would look like from a different perspective. Hyukjae's here with him, and his stress from before are gone.

 

***

 

“Donghae? We’re here, wake up.”  Hyukjae quietly murmurs, shaking the asleep male whom is now lying across him, specifically speaking, his lap as Hyukjae didn’t want Donghae to injure his neck.

 

The elder places the bent and folded legs of the younger down the chair first, then gently, as if one harsh move and the boy would be fatally wounded, shakes Donghae to reality.

 

“Hae, we’re arriving at the final stop, it’s time to get up.”

 

Donghae releases muffled protests but moves nevertheless, and once they get off the train (with special help form Hyukjae whom guided the half unconscious male to not walk into a door) Hyukjae wipes traces of sleep off of Donghae's face.

 

“Ugh, I'm awake now.” Donghae groans, blinking rapidly to clear his vision of haze. “Let’s go.” He adds, a second later.

 

The warm air blows upon their faces, leaving rosy and flushed cheeks. Hyukjae and Donghae walk side by side, arms occasionally brushing as they head for the theatre. Hyukjae, being a good friend, decided to treat Donghae and himself to a play his mother recommended, ‘Autumn’s Sweetness’. Apparently, the story depicts a young male in his early teens meeting a girl of a similar age through mails, and the play is of how the two managed to love each other without ever meeting, maintain the relationship for a total of twenty four years. However, the woman died before they two lovers could meet towards the end, and the man was given the letters she’d written received from him.

 

It is a tragic story, but Donghae didn’t need to know it beforehand. He didn’t need to have to story ruined by a big-mouth, a.k.a. Lee Hyukjae's mother, whom gushed to her son the entire plot as soon as she got home from the trip (including the miniscule details of the boy’s favourite type of sweets which he really didn’t need to know).

 

“What are you thinking about? You’ve got a stupid expression on your face.” Donghae announces, a sweet smile adorning his lips.

 

Hyukjae shakes his head and chuckles. “Nothing, c’mon, let’s walk quickly and aim to arrive at least ten minutes early.”

 

“What? You mean there’s more walking? But Hyuk, I can't,” Donghae whines, feeling his legs ache from the amount of walking he did yesterday. He travelled across the whole storey of department stores, carrying the out of fashion items and travelling back and forth, re-branding the products and comparing data of percentage of price increases and decreases. In short, his legs killed him yesterday because of work.

 

When Hyukjae continues walking in a paced manner in front, Donghae uses his aegyo and objects to the mundane act even more. “Hyuk, I'm tired.” He pouts.

 

Hyukjae stops, turns and directly looks at the other in the eye. “What do you want me to do about it? Carry you?” Hyukjae is joking, but he finds himself complying to the absurd demand when he sees Donghae's sparkling eyes screaming everything cute and hopeful.

 

“Aish, you’re lucky you’re my friend. Hop on.” And he bent down for Donghae to climb on his back. They receive a lot of weird looks; some blank, some freaked out and a few in admiration but for the friends, it doesn’t matter. Donghae sees his victory and scrambles on top of his tall friend, feeling warmth emit from the layers of clothing.

 

“Ahh, so soft.” He exclaims, very happy with this method of transport.

 

Hyukjae snorts and starts to move forward, and instantly Donghae's arms shoot out to wrap around the elder’s neck loosely; securing himself on a bumpy ride and making sure he doesn’t suffocate his vehicle. “Of course you lazy would like this.”

 

“Shut up, peasant, and march onwards!” Donghae squeals happily.

 

***

 

“How could you, Hyukjae, not tell me about this?!” Donghae sobs out loud with tears flowing down his cheeks. Hyukjae feels bad so he brings the former’s head on his chest to cry on.

 

“I'm sorry, Hae, I'm sorry, don’t be mad at me please.” The male rubs soothing circles on the Donghae's back. Most of the people have already left the auditorium; only a few remaining to gather their belongings or wiping their tears like Hyukjae is doing with Donghae.

 

Donghae cries harder at that and buries his face into Hyukjae's warm chest, tears drenching the cotton product but he doesn’t care. He needs emotional support and Hyukjae is here, as always, to provide him with whatever he wants.

 

Hyukjae is his essential everyday need. It is safe to say his life would be much harder at times without the said male by his side.

 

And on this thought, Donghae cries even more.

 

***

 

“Look at you, a cry baby, getting all worked up and emotional from a play.” Hyukjae teases, taking a sip of his ice cold latte. Donghae only glares from above his ice cream, silently warning the elder not to go too far.

 

“Look, evil Hae is back. And to think I piggybacked you all of the way to the theatre as well.” Hyukjae muttered, stirring his drink now. Donghae makes a sound from the back of his throat to groan in protest of his accusation, hastily finishing the spoonful of freezing but creamy delicacy.

 

“I will seriously hit you Lee Hyukjae if you test my patience once more.” Donghae says, unaware of the white frosting dying the seam of his upper lip from the ice cream. At least, Hyukjae is not able to overcome the urge to wipe it off.

 

So, he leans over the table, stopping Donghae in what he is about to say and using a napkin, stubs ever so gently the white foamy product until it is gone. Donghae slowly turns beetroot red and quietens down, opting to eat and finish eating.

 

“What are you doing?” The boy attempts to fight the blush, wishing his skin would turn back to its original colour. “Stop acting like a boyfriend.” He squeaks, eating the remaining ic

Please log in to read the full chapter