interrogation and infatuation

I don't think... I'm not in love with you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Italic paragraphs are flashbacks whilst italic lines are thoughts

I don’t think… I'm not in love with you

 

It began as a type of protective shield, until their relationship turned into something inexplicable, even now.

 

When Hyukjae transferred to Busan high school, he didn't expect to accidentally steal the popularity of the student school representative, a cute brunet with the name Lee Donghae, and make the latter detest him. Actually, he had the exact opposite intention — he only approached the younger in hopes of becoming good friends. However, from the moment he stepped inside the same room, his body language seemed to convey a different sort of message because instead of receiving a smile from Donghae, a harsh and cold glare was gifted to him.

 

And of course, all of it was too much for a 15 years old Hyukjae to comprehend. Besides, he had no time to understand with the flock of students crowding his personal space. The school had divided into two; half favoured him more than Donghae (which was strange seeing Donghae had their full attention before he arrived), and the other half still stuck loyally to the original student president. So, that was the birth of the school’s second student president; although it wasn’t confirmed or administered on paper and the school’s system, Hyukjae had proposed several good ideas benefitting the students gaining more fans along the journey. Yet, Donghae always objected and refused every one of them, saying Hyukjae's plans were rubbish and ‘not worth his time’. Hyukjae and Donghae's popularity really troubled the teachers, whom couldn’t really decide on who should be the only president and so came up with a stupid plan, which eventually drove Donghae even further away from Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae remembers one afternoon during their form period, the teachers left it to the class to vote for who should be the president, and Donghae would have received more points since he had more numbers on his side, if three of his closest friends didn’t betray him. The male, now reaching an age of embarrassment, could still recount how back in high school Donghae gathered those ‘traitors’ and demanded an explanation on what they were doing.

 

“What did I do wrong? Was I not enough to make your wishes within the school come true? Answer me!” Donghae screamed out his lungs, feeling the hot tears prickle in his eyes, his heart starting to burst in pain, one moment swelling abnormally and the next, minimising to nothing. It was as if he was empty. Fine on the outside, but hollow deep down.

 

The three males looked troubled, but one was brave enough to reply. “We’re tired.” He watched Donghae's composure twist from madness to perplexity. Obviously, little goody two shoes Donghae wouldn’t know what he has done wrong. He never does and probably never will if he doesn’t change that arrogant attitude of his.

 

“What?” Donghae furrowed his brows. So it was his problem?

 

“You’re too controlling. What we had; it began off as something fun, but you’re too demanding, forcing us to agree with everything you say and do. It’s so hard, watching you turn down confession letters, being your arrogant self. Why…why do you always have to win? So what if you win?” Instead of retorting something back, because that’s just Lee Donghae's nature, he turned around sharply and looked at the other two, whom had their heads cowered in fear. They all knew how scary Donghae could become when angered.

 

“It’s an honour for me to win every time, and I thought you would understand me.” Donghae replied curtly.

 

“You mean more like your pride. Don’t think that just because you’ve received a few confession letters it would mean that you're allowed to look down on others. Who do you think you are to break so many people’s hearts? Just because you're the student president? Even if you don’t care, you should at least think about whether we care or not. And, we’ve already had enough of your ways, it’s just that we don’t want to destroy what we have which is why we never told you until now!”

 

“Yes! I am arrogant, selfish and prideful; I am abusing my power as a student president, and I am always turning down confessions, but do you know why I am like that?” Donghae yelled again, this time attracting everyone’s attention, and Hyukjae only looked troubled. “It’s because in our freshman year, there was a boy, whom was bullied by all of the class and the girl he liked. Everyone was calling him names, telling him to die. Everyone would rather have detention than to sit next to or near that boy, which was why I decided to strongly uphold my own opinions and turn down confessions.” The boy looked ashamed, head down as Donghae continued spurring words.

 

“Which was why I brought you into the friendship group, tying our hearts together, which was I brought you to my house, gave you a haircut, new clothes, money and a fresh start. Which was why I tutored you in all of the subjects you were failing in! Everyone in our friendship group, every weekend we would have a cleaning session at your house then go out and enjoy ourselves. Because we promised, to be connected through our heart and always support each other.”

 

“And you two? You think the same?” He spoke in a calm manner as he pivoted his attention onto the other two, whom was silent throughout. Donghae was surprised by himself for speaking so fluently, words not cracking. Because inside his head, there is an internal struggle, making his migraine come into life as he clenched his fists tight; tiny crescent moons forming on his palms. But it’s okay since the pain overcame the need to release the waterworks.

 

Two pairs of timid eyes met his, before their heads nodded meekly. Donghae scoffed, before readdressing the three of his acquaintances.

 

“From now on, we’re strangers. Don’t ever talk to me again, you have destroyed everythi

Please log in to read the full chapter