Chapter 05

Beauty and the Geek - Life Together

 

What am I doing here?

 

And why does it feel like I’m the third wheel on this date?

 

After Krystal agreed on going on a date with Jonghyun I called him the next day to arrange for a time and day. He was so excited and happy that we ended up talking for 5 hours discussing, well more like it’s himself blabbering about where they should go.

 

He ended up confirming that they’ll go watch a romance comedy movie first, then eat lunch and then go to the arcade for some fun. Sounds like a typical date but when I heard that my heart suddenly ached.

 

We never had a date like this before.

 

Since Krystal doesn’t want anyone to know about our relationship we never acted lovey-dovey in public. It kind of pains me and makes me think would it be different if I was a guy. But I never think through it deeply because the truth is scary.

 

I wasn’t planning to take part of their date, I was going to sleep through the entire day but Krystal forcefully dragged me out with her. So there I ended up appearing at the cinema with Krystal beside me. From a far distance I saw Jonghyun waving at us with a bucket of popcorns and hugging two drinks. We walk up to him and the first thing he did was put on his brightest smile for Krystal then gave me a forcefully smile. We then enter the theatre a bit early since there was nothing else to do. Krystal was first to sit down at one of the three seats we’re suppose to sit, she sat on the left seat. Supposedly the middle seat should me mine as I was standing behind Krystal but I suddenly felt a bump the next thing I know my seat was taken by Jonghyun. I glared at him but he only gave me a you-know-what-to-do look and indicates me to sit on the right seat. I sat down and Jonghyun gave one of the drinks to Krystal and shared his bucket of popcorns with her and I whom he calls as a friend had nothing. The lights in the theatre dims and the screen lighten up showing trailers of other movies. More and more people filled the theatre and there was this one tall guy who sat in the seat in front of Krystal blocking half of her view.

 

“Oppa can you change seats with me? The guy is blocking my view.” Krystal whispered.

 

“Ah ok.”

 

They switched seats so now Krystal is in the middle, she turns to me and gave me a sly smile. Instantly a smile formed on my face. Throughout the movie whenever Jonghyun passes the bucket of popcorns to Krystal, Krystal would also share it with me and when my throat is dry because of the popcorns Krystal would pass her drink to me.

 

As the theatre gets colder I saw Krystal rubbing her overly exposed legs.

 

Aish… How can this girl wear such short pants?

 

I was going to undress my plaid shirt to cover her legs but I was a step slower because I went through too much unnecessary thinking. Jonghyun gently place his thin layer of jacket on top of Krystal’s legs. I quickly wrap the shirt tightly around my body and continued watching the movie like nothing happened but inside I was really mad at myself.

 

I should be the one doing that!

 

Suddenly I felt Krystal’s hand crept on top of my thigh under the jacket, her index finger playfully draw circles trying to gain my attention. Instantly a smile appeared on my face. As it was getting ticklish I reach my hand to grab her hand. When our hands touched our fingers instantly intertwine together and were never apart until the movie ended.

 

After we left the theatre Krystal went to the bathroom and I was left with Jonghyun. Jonghyun suddenly headlocked me when Krystal could not be seen.

 

“What are you doing?” I cried in pain.

 

“You shouldn’t have done that.”

 

I froze and stop struggling free from his hold.

 

Don’t tell me he saw us holding hands?

 

My heart began to beat faster and faster not knowing what he was referring to.

 

“You should have given that seat to me in the theatre. Now it looks bad like I snatched it off you.”

 

After I heard that I was relief.

 

Phew.

 

“Sorry.” I apologized and he released me.

 

We waited for another minute and Krystal came out. She was walking beside me while Jonghyun is next to me. I felt that Jonghyun eyes are glaring at me and then I felt a light tap on my arm. I gave him a what’s-wrong look, like he’s trying to send me a message with his eyes contacts and it took me a few seconds to receive his message.  I then pretend to be attracted to a shop nearby and quickly left the duo behind. My face went close to the window staring at the action figurines.

 

“Oh not again Amber…” I heard Krystal’s voice. It’s not the first time she said that to me. Whenever we go out and she sees me like this she would always try to pull me away.

 

I reluctantly left the window and walk beside Krystal who is now in the middle between us. A smile form on Jonghyun’s face and he gave me a thumb up when Krystal wasn’t looking at him. We walk in a straight horizontal line and I can see Jonghyun’s hand itches as it dances along his side. Jonghyun lead us to a Korean restaurant, it’s not something fancy but the food there tastes really nice as to what people commented online.

 

We were escorted to a 4 people table by the waiter. Krystal sat down first and I move over to the other side to sit opposite of Krystal leaving the seat next to Krystal for Jonghyun. His smile stretched wider when I made that move.

 

We order a few dishes which most of all are Krystal’s choice. We ate and talk with laughter throughout the lunch. But most importantly of all under the table I was playing footsie with Krystal. After fulfilling our hungry stomach we went to an arcade center inside the shopping center.

 

“Krystal what do you want to play?” Jonghyun asked as he excitedly dragged Krystal around holding her wrist.

 

My smile disappeared when I saw how tight Jonghyun held onto Krystal’s wrist and Krystal was too fascinated by the games that she didn’t object to the physical contact.

 

“I want to play this.” Krystal pointed at the basketball ring.

 

Jonghyun immediately insert some coins in two machines and once again he left me alone.

 

“Come on Amber insert coins, we’ll challenge each other.” Krystal snaps out of my trance of thoughts.

 

I immediately dug my hand in my jeans pocket to find some spare coins and insert in the machine before the countdown for new challenger ends.

 

“I’m really good in this so watch out.” Jonghyun confidently said and his hands were already in position to grab the basketball when it drops down.

 

…3…

 

…2…

 

…1…

 

…BEEP!….

 

The basketballs came rolling down to us. I quickly grab a basketball and aim it at the hoop. I kept repeating the same movements until the lights blink and the words “game over” was printed on the LED screen.

 

“Amber you really even Krystal beat you.” Jonghyun laughed when he saw my score which was only 25. While Krystal had 40 and Jonghyun had 80.

 

We then played some random games such as car racing, the drum game, air hockey and such. And like predicted I lost in all the games. Although I’m good at online games but I’m bad at these. We then continue to walk around at the arcade center to look for any games we want to play. But we stop when Krystal stop in front of a claw machine.

 

“Which doll do you want?” Jonghyun asked as he saw Krystal’s eyes never left the claw machine.

 

“That one.” Krystal pointed to one of the doll in the machine.

 

Jonghyun then insert a coin in and aimed the claw at the doll that Krystal wants. He manage to grab it after a few tries. When he got the doll Krystal was so happy that they danced in circle in front of me. I felt my heart pulled a muscle and I just walk away without saying a word.

 

The day ended happily, except for me, and we head back to the dorm. Jonghyun walk us there and when we got in front of the dorm gate Krystal told me to go up first. But instead I hid behind the door and quietly stared at them from a far distant. I couldn’t make out what they said since I’m like 5 meters away but I could see Jonghyun’s disappointed expression.

 

I guess Krystal told him.

 

When I saw Krystal heading to my direction I quickly ran to our dorm room.

 

I came puffing back to our room then I quickly grab a magazine and sat on my bed pretend to be reading. One minute later Krystal came back and maybe because of guilt I was hiding my head behind the magazine.

 

“Stop pretending.” She said and grabs the magazine revealing my guilty face.

 

“I saw you peeking at us.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

Krystal hovered to sit on my lap and wraps her arms around my neck. Instantly I wrap my arms around her slim waist. She then gently places a kiss on my lips.

 

“I told him.” Her fingers started playing with my short black hair curling it around her index finger.

 

“I told him I already have someone I like.”

 

“So don’t worry and everything that happened today won’t happen again.” She said before placing another kiss.

 

A smile appeared on my face and I just stayed silent staring at her pretty face. We stayed silent for a couple of minutes just staring at each other before Krystal broke the silence.

 

“So…do you want a ‘massage’?” She seductively whispered beside my ear.

 

She pulled away from my ear and giggled.

 

“But I want to shower.” I playfully said.

 

I could see a pout on her face and I just couldn’t help but to spread my lips wider and carry her to the bathroom.

 

This girl sure knows how to play with my emotions.