Chapter 14

A Perfect Secret

               Luhan received a phone call from Stephanie that he got the job as a dishwasher and he was told that he will start his work today at 3 to 6pm; similar to Seohyun’s work shift. Luhan asked if he can work from 12 to 6pm because Xiumin texted him, that the afternoon class has been cancelled but Stephanie isn’t really fond for her workers to work overtime and told him to work from 12 to 3 pm for today.

               As for the salary, he will receive on Friday. The amount of his salary is similar to Seohyun but only half of the salary from the other workers. This is because other workers work as a cook and waiter alternately. Only Seohyun and Luhan do one job, to be fair, they will receive half of amount of the salary. They usually get their salary every week. Dana thought the idea of giving them the salary every week because she found out that it will be easier for the workers. She knew that some of the workers like to spend their money after they received their salary at the end of the month.

               EXO bought their food at the cafeteria. They asked Luhan where is Seohyun but he’s not interested to answer that question. He looks so messy today and they wondered what happen to him. Did both of them have a fight?

               Two male students approached to EXO hangout place. They looked so timid, maybe because they are meeting the kingka and sunbae of the college. Sunbaenim, hello!” One of the two boys with a feminine look greeted them. They turned to them and they knew who these two boys who greeted them just now. They are their hoobae as well as the kingka for hoobae. Kim Myung Soo and Lee Sung Jong from Infinite; their group name for kingka.

               “We want to talk with Luhan sunbaenim. Personally.” EXO raised their eyebrow when they wanted to talk with Luhan. They never talked to them about anything whenever they come across with each other. “Why don’t you just tell me here?” Luhan told them without looking at them. He looks so uninterested when he asked them.

               “A-Actually, we’re not the one who wants to talk to-to you. It’s our-our fr-friend.” Sungjong stammered while fiddling his fingers. He looks so scared with EXO. “And they need to talk with Luhan sunbaenim only. Now.” Myungsoo continued after noticing that his friend was nervous.

               Luhan followed them to the quiet and far from the class. Where did they want to take him? Who want to meet him? He followed them quickly when they quickened their pace while looking around as if there’s someone who watching them.

               They reached to the place where there are two girls who seemed like waiting for them. He knew that two girls as well. They are Yoo Ji Ae and Kim Ji Yeon from Lovelyz; the hoobae queenka. Unlike EXO and the queenkas, Infinite and Lovelyz are best friends. He heard that Yoo Jiae has been friends with Infinite since high school and rumored that they lived in the same house.

               “Hey! What took both of you so long?” Jiae asked them with her hands folded on her chest. “We have a hard time meeting them and asking sunbae to come with us. You should do this by yourself since you want to talk to him. Why do you have to involve both of us?” Sungjong defended him and Myungsoo from fuming Jiae who looks like they have been waiting for them so long. But what Luhan didn’t understand why these girls wanted to meet him. Did they want to confess to him?

               “Excuse me, I thought that the reason you brought me here because both of you want to talk me not to hear you guys bickering!” He chided them for wasting his time.

               All four of them gulped when their sunbae scolded them. They apologized with their action. “So, what is it?” Luhan proceeded to the main point. Myungsoo nudged to Jiae, “Hey, elephant! Hurry, tell him what you want to say before he kills us.”

 


 

               Luhan stomped along the corridor with an irritate looks. Everyone was intimidated with him when he had that face. He looks like he wanted to kill someone with his bare hands and somehow they knew who is he going to kill.

               He gathered with his friends at the center of the entrance hall. His friends noticed his anger looks of Luhan and decided not to ask him anything but they suspected that the meeting between him and their hoobae might have brought Luhan to become like this.

               Oppa!” The voices that they don’t want to hear have come. Luhan couldn’t help but his anger rose when he heard the happy voice from someone that he wanted to kill now. Sooyi clung her hand on Luhan’s hand which made him pushed her harshly until she fell on the floor. Everyone turned their attention to them with a gasped.

               Sooyi surprised with Luhan’s action before she became breathless when he choked her with his hand. Her head was hurt because it hit on the marble floor after Luhan pushed while choking her. Even with one hand, Sooyi felt suffocate because he choked her really hard.

               “What do you feel? Satisfied? Or suffocate? Do you want to know how I feel right now? I feel so much better when I’m choking you right now. If only I can kill you, I won’t hesitate to do that.” He muttered in fury. He pulled her hair and pushed her towards the wall. Her head was bleeding. Luhan walked towards her and Sooyi trembled in fear when he slowly approaching her. ‘CRACK’ the glass from a frame cracked due to Luhan’s hit on the picture that was hanged on the wall. He hit the picture once again and the frame shattered into pieces. He pushed Sooyi and she fell to the shattered glass that scattered on the floor making her shrieked in pain.

 

~Flashback~

               Myungsoo nudged to Jiae, “Hey, elephant! Hurry, tell him what you want to say before he kills us.” Jiae glared at Myungsoo before she nudged her doll-like friend, “Jiyeon-ah, can you tell him? I’m scared when he scolded us just now.” Jiyeon sighed and pout before turned to her scary sunbae, Luhan.

               “I-I don’t know if you’re the right person to tell sunbaenim about this but yes-yes-yesterday I saw Sooyi sunbaenim pushed Seohyun sunbaenim off the stairs.” She stuttered while telling Luhan what she and Jiae saw yesterday. She didn’t know if he cared about this but since he warned Sooyi not to hurt her, she decided to tell him. All Lovelyz and Infinite hate Sooyi anyway.

               Luhan gritted his teeth after he heard that. He swore that he could not forgive her for killing his and Seohyun’s baby. She killed their innocent baby!

 


 

               Dr. Jimin pulled the small pieces of glass that cut Luhan’s hands using a forceps. He flinched every time Dr. Jimin pulled out the glass. EXO were there as well but didn’t speak anything because they were too afraid to say any words after witnessed Luhan attacking Sooyi in front of their eyes.

               Dr. Jimin cleaned the cuts and covered his hand with a bandage. “Luhan,” She called him with a soft voice. Luhan didn’t turn to her. He stared at the window blankly. “I’m sorry for your loss.” She sympathized with him. EXO confused with her words. Sorry for his loss? Who?

               Luhan covered his face with his palm. A sob was heard and Dr. Jimin patted him before enveloped him into a hug. EXO surprised when they heard and saw him crying. He is not the type who cry easily so this is new to them but why did he cry?

 


 

               “Do you know what you have done will damage our college’s image and reputation?” The tutor reprimanded about his attitude earlier. Luhan looked expressionless, more like bored when he had to face the tutor for hurting Sooyi. “That’s the end for your college life, Luhan. You wasted your 3 years in this college for nothing. I’m sure that Sooyi’s father will kick you out-”

               “Why do you seem to be afraid with her father? Is he the head of this college or what? Did he donate something to this college? As far as I remember, he only cares about his daughter, his image and his reputation as a minister. And all of you bowed to him like he’s a king or something.” Luhan cut her words by questioning why they only cared about Sooyi and her father. “She’s a minister daughter.”

               “But doesn’t mean you can treat her better. You defended a bully than a victim. You defended the guilty instead of the innocent. I heard that you want to kick Joohyun out.” His parents told him about that since the chancellor called them, asking them what he should do. “That’s because she broke the rule.” Luhan scoffed when his tutor said that.

               “Broke the rule? Yeah, maybe. But what does someone who pushed a pregnant girl off the stairs until her innocent unborn baby died should call? A hero? Even if Joohyun broke the rule but it is wrong to kill the baby in her tummy. Because the baby is innocent.” His tutor raised her eyebrow when he seems to try to defend Seohyun. “I don’t understand why we talked about Seohyun-”

               “And I don’t understand why do you call me here?” His tutor looked at him weirdly. Does he act like why he’s here? “Do I have to explain that?” She recalled the incident between him and Sooyi. “If you want to know why I did that, I’m sorry. I can’t tell you. But one thing I want to say is that Sooyi deserved it and I’m not regretting of what I am doing. I’m sure everyone agrees with me.” Luhan took his bag and left the room leaving the tutor dumbfounded.

 


 

               “Are you sure you can do it, Luhan?” Yesung asked him in concerned voice. Luhan nodded to ensure that he can washes all the dishes despite his injured hand. It’s his first day of work and he needs to do it perfectly and finished on time. There are not a lot of dishes in the morning but the dishes kept coming when he started to work since it’s a lunch time.

               The clock strikes 3pm marked the end of his shift. He removed the rubber gloves from his hand and bowed to the other workers. He took his bag and went out using back door.

               “Luhan.” He turned around when someone called him and it’s EXO. How did they know that he’s here? No one knows that he’s working except his parents. Even Dr. Jimin whom he closed with didn’t know about this unless the workers told her. “Your parents told you that you’re working here.” That’s funny. They told him not to tell anyone but they tell his friends.

               “We found out what happened to Seohyun from Dr. Jimin and we’re sorry for your loss.” Suho represents on behalf of EXO. “And we know why did you do that to Sooyi. Xiumin asked our hoobae about why did they want to meet you and now we know why.” They couldn’t believe that Sooyi is such a cruel person who does that to someone weak.

               “Can we visit Seohyun?” Suho asked his permission to visit his wife. Luhan didn’t know how to react. Besides the villagers, no one visits Seohyun. His friends obviously since they don’t know about it. He didn’t know why but he felt strange when they wanted to visit her. “Sure.” He muttered softly.

 


 

               Luhan and EXO arrived at the hospital and just like before, everyone at the hospital eyed EXO weirdly. That’s because they are stranger for them, seeing the people that they have never seen before.

               Luhan opened the door of Seohyun’s room but frowned when she’s not there. Did she awake? Where did she go? “Excuse me! Do you know where Joohyun is?” He asked the nurse nearby. “I saw her at the nursery just now.” She answered to him.

               He frowned when he found out that Seohyun is at nursery. What is she doing there? He rushed to the nursery and there she was. What is she doing at the nursery? He saw the familiar nurses; Irene, Seulgi, Wendy and Joy observed Seohyun worriedly. Seohyun looks like she tried to search for a baby. Whose baby did she search for?

               “Joohyun,” Luhan called her softly and she turned to him with a frantic look. Oppa, I asked them to show me our baby but they said that I’m miscarriage. They’re lying, right oppa?” Luhan froze in his position when Seohyun thought that she gave birth to a baby hence, why she’s here. He looked at the nurses who were staring at Seohyun sadly and then looked at Seohyun with a sad gaze.

               While heaved a sigh, he held Seohyun and apologized to the nurses. “Let’s go to our room first, shall we?” They walked together leaving the nursery. “Poor Seohyun unnie. It’s really hard for someone to lose their baby in a blink of an eye.” The tall nurse who named Park Soo Young on her nametag felt heartache after looking at Seohyun. “I know right. Besides that, this is their first baby after 4 years and the boys waited for a new dongsaeng too.” The nurse who named Bae Ju Hyun remembered about that. “I want to cry when I saw Seohyun unnie cried.” Son Seung Hwan looked sad the most out of all four. “I swear I’m going to kill that girl who does that to Seohyun unnie.” The other nurse, Kang Seul Gi expressed her anger to the person who made Seohyun like this.

 


 

               Luhan and Seohyun sat on the bed and faced each other. “Joohyun,” He sighed thinking how he should continue his words. “They’re right. You’re miscarriage.” Seohyun shook her head vigorously didn’t want to believe with what Luhan said to her just now.

               “No! This can’t be! My baby is still alive! My baby is still alive!” She screamed and ran towards the door but Luhan quickly held her to stop her. “My baby! My baby! Let me go! I want to see my baby!” She squirmed to let go from Luhan’s grasp.

               The doctor and the nurses rushed to the room. One of the nurses brought a small tray that filled with syringe, vial, and cotton swab. “Nurse, give me the syringe.” Dr. Go Ara commanded to the nurse. The nurse attached the needle to the syringe and pulled the piston to draw out the liquid from vial. “Here it is, doctor.” The nurse gave to the doctor and she took it from her.

               “Luhan, please hold her tightly.” Dr. Go enjoined Luhan to hold her hand tightly and he followed her instruction. Seohyun is still squirming in her place while screaming. Dr. Go rubbed the alcohol swab on her arm and opened the cover for the needle to inject Seohyun’s arm. Luhan shut his eyes tightly, didn’t want to look at Seohyun getting hurt. Dr. Go injected the medicine and Seohyun shrieked in pain. Slowly, she felt really weak and everything became blurring in her sight. Her voice sounded so soft, “My- baby-” She managed to say two words before collapsed in Luhan’s arms.

               Luhan carried the unconscious Seohyun and put her to the bed. He hated to see Seohyun like this. He knew her feelings after losing their baby. He experienced that before when he thought that he will be losing her too.

 


 

~4 years ago~

               It’s been a week since Seohyun is in comatose and Luhan waited patiently beside her. He didn’t eat at all and he’s getting skinny. Every day, he whispered to Seohyun to wake up and he didn’t even sleep just to wait for her to open her eyes. “Joohyun, tomorrow is my birthday. I don’t want anything but I want you to wake up as my present from you. Promise? I know that you can hear me, Joohyun. So I want you to wake up tomorrow. We can celebrate my birthday together.” Luhan whispered to her and believed that Seohyun will wake up tomorrow.

               Luhan wanted to stay with Seohyun all the time for his birthday today because she hasn’t wake up yet. He swore that he will wait for the rest of the day for Seohyun to wake up. But his parents forced him to go home because his friends will be coming to celebrate his birthday. He told them that he didn’t want to go but his parents had to bring him back much to his protest. He hadn’t met his friends since Seohyun is in comatose. His parents had to cover him from his friend by saying that he’s sick and he didn’t want to meet them.

               “Happy birthday to you, Luhan!” His friends shouted in joy and blew the blower. Luhan looked uninterested with all the surprises that his friends made for him. EXO looked worried at him. He’s different than Luhan that they used to know.

               “Luhan hyung, are you okay? You look so sick.” Chen saw Luhan’s pale face and asked him if he’s okay. “Hyung, eat this cake. Lay hyung and Kyungsoo made this for you.” Baekhyun put a piece of cake in front of Luhan’s mouth to feed him but he didn’t open his mouth.

               “Luhan, please eat this cake. You looked so skinny.” Xiumin pleaded to Luhan to eat this cake. Luhan opened his mouth slightly. As expected, he only listens to Xiumin since Xiumin is his closest friend out of all EXO.

               Baekhyun fed him the cake. Luhan tried to chew but he felt something in his stomach. He covered his mouth and ran towards the kitchen, specifically to the sink and threw up everything. His parents were worried about that and took him to his room.

               “I’m sorry on Luhan’s behalf. He’s been so sick these days. I hope you understand.” Mrs. Lu bowed to EXO as an apology.

               “You don’t have to apologize about that, Mrs. Lu. We just hope that Luhan will get better soon. Honestly, he should go to the hospital.” They bowed to Mrs. Lu and left the house.

 


 

               Mrs. Lu went inside to Luhan’s room and he was lying on the bed. “Did they gone?” He asked his mother while leaning his back on the headboard. Mrs. Lu nodded at his son but frowned when Luhan got off from his bed. “Where are you going?”

               “To the hospital.” Luhan stumbled while walking and Mrs. Lu stopped him and told him to take a rest here but he is stubborn. He insisted to go to hospital because Seohyun will wake up soon. Mrs. Lu couldn’t do anything to him and left his room.

               He tried to walk but he felt dizzy. His sight turned blur before he collapsed on the floor.

 


 

               ‘Luhan walked through the maze. He looked up and there’s nothing that could help him to leave this maze. He walked here and there but only to meet the dead end. He sat down while leaning against the wall helplessly. He almost gave up himself when he saw a black butterfly flew across him which made him decided to follow that black butterfly.

               He kept following the butterfly without realizing that he managed to get out from the maze. The black butterfly vanished in the thin air which made Luhan wondering where it went. That was when he realized that he was at the parking lot. How did he manage to come here? Now where he should go?

               Luhan saw a glass door and entered the building. He surprised that he just entered the hospital. What’s making him weird is that no one in the hospital except him. He walked while looking for someone and wondered why he’s here.

               He relieved when he saw a girl wore a black dress stood while facing her back to him. She was looking at the body that was covered with white cloth from head until above the feet. He went to her, “Excuse me,”

               That girl slowly turned head and Luhan surprised because that girl is Seohyun, his wife. He dashed to her and hugged her tightly with tears b in his eyes. “I miss you, Joohyun.” She didn’t know how happy he was when he finally hugged her after so long. He couldn’t believe that she’s right in front of him. “What are you doing here?”

               “I’m looking at myself.” She turned to body that covered with white cloth. Luhan followed her and surprised when he saw the nametag on the body’s toe, ‘Seo Joo Hyun’. His eyes widened after he found out the body is belong to Seohyun. He looked at her again and sadness filled in her eyes. She kissed his lips before she looked at him again. “I’m sorry, Luhan.” She said her last words to him before leave him.

               “No, Joohyun! Don’t go! Please come back here!” He pleaded to her but she lost in his sight.’

 


 

               “No! Don’t go! Don’t leave me!” Luhan sat up with his eyes wide opened and he was sweating really hard. He was dreaming that Seohyun is leaving him forever. He looked around his surrounding and noticed that he’s in the hospital. His back of the hand was attached with a needle. He pulled the plaster as well as the needle that has inserted in his vein while ignoring the pain and the blood flowed when he did that.

               He quickly ran to Seohyun’s room and barged into the room without knocking, shocking his parents. He shook Seohyun’s body hardly telling her not to leave him. “Joohyun, wake up! Wake up! Don’t leave me like this. Wake up!” He shouted at unconscious Seohyun while his parents tried to pull him away but he was so strong.

               The doctor came and pulled him as well. He told the nurse something and the nurse nodded before she attached the needle to the syringe and draw out the liquid from the vial into the syringe. Luhan still screamed and tried to push as well as kick everyone near him.

               The nurse gave the doctor the syringe and he cleaned Luhan’s arm with alcohol swab before injected him. After he received the injection, he passed out and Mr. Lu brought him to his room.

 


 

               After a few weeks, Seohyun still hasn’t wake up yet. Luhan carried little Sehun in his left arm while holding Seohyun’s hand with his right hand. Every day, he would bring Sehun to Seohyun’s room and waited for her to wake up.

               Sehun cried loudly and Luhan wanted to calm him down so he tried to pull his right hand but he couldn’t. He felt like Seohyun grasped his hand tightly.

               “J-Joohyun?” He called her softly. He looked at her eyes. Her eyes were moving and slowly opened her eyes.

               The door was opened and his parents entered the room. “Call the doctor now. Joohyun is awake.” Luhan told his parents to call the doctor. Mr. and Mrs. Lu froze in their position trying to absorb what their son said just now. They must be dreaming right now. “Hurry!” They quickly called the doctor.

               Luhan cried in happiness. Words couldn’t say how much he happy when Seohyun finally opened her eyes after how many weeks. He hoped that something like this wouldn’t happen again.

 


 

               Seohyun came back from hospital after 3 days. She froze in front of the stairs while shaking. She touched her belly and gulped while looking at the stairs. Luhan removed her hands from her belly and pulled her hand but she didn’t move. Luhan had to carry her with bridal style and climbed the stairs.

               She had a fear of stairs since that incident happened. She would ask Luhan’s help to bring her downstairs or upstairs. He decided to do something to overcome her fear. He would ask her to climb up or down the stairs as a practice but she’s too scared.

               He hugged her and whispered some words to calm her as well as to encourage her. Seohyun held the handle and climbed down slowly. Seohyun practiced to make sure that she overcomes her fear and she did it. Luhan felt proud of her. Indeed, Seohyun is his wife.

 

 

 

 

 


First of all I would like to wish 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' to everyone!!! It's not too late, right? My new semester will start next week so I think I wouldn't be able to update regularly from now on. But I received my timetable and I don't have class on Friday. Maybe I can update once a week. But I will try to update next chapter on Saturday. If I managed to finish to write it.