Chapter 13

A Perfect Secret

               “I want one goguma latte, please.” Luhan ordered a latte at the school cafeteria. “Here’s your goguma latte.” The waiter gave him and Luhan paid for it before he goes to the EXO’s favorite place.

               Hyung, I didn’t know that you’re drinking goguma latte.” Chanyeol pointed the goguma latte that Luhan bought just now. “It’s for Joohyun.” He answered casually. Yesterday, Seohyun mumbled in her sleep that she wanted to drink goguma latte; a sweet potato latte. He wasn’t surprise about that because she loves sweet potato a lot. He knew she is probably craving for goguma latte, so he wanted to surprise her.

               Seohyun came after that and told them about today’s classes. Because she’s pregnant, EXO didn’t ask her to bring their drinks or cook for them because it will be tiring for her. Her job is to inform them what classes they are having today. Luhan handed the goguma latte to her, “It’s for you.” She hesitated to take it but took it when he glared at her. She thanked him and took a sip from the drink. After sipping the drink, she beamed in happiness, Goguma latte!” her screaming shocked EXO except Luhan who knew why she’s like that. She kissed his cheek making EXO gaped unaware that Sooyi watched them silently in anger. Meanwhile, Luhan smirked with her obliviousness action.

 


 

               Seohyun is so happy after drinking the goguma latte that was bought by Luhan. She looked at her watch and the class will start soon. She quickly went out from the old infirmary and head to the class.

               She climbed up the stairs happily but she encountered with Sooyi and her friends, blocking the way for her to class. “Are you happy now that Luhan oppa treated you better and ignored me? Are you happy that you kissed Luhan oppa when he won’t allow me to touch him at all?” Sooyi muttered angrily. She was scared with her, worried if she will hurt her and her baby. “I know that you brainwashed him. If not, he wouldn’t like a like you.” One by one, the accusation from Sooyi is too much; from pregnant out-of-wedlock and now, she called her .

               “I hate you, ty !” Sooyi pushed Seohyun caused her to fall from the stairs. Sooyi and her gangs left her and went to the class knowing that the lecturer is coming.

               Seohyun slowly got up, feeling hurt after the fall and noticed the blood dripped from her legs. She was petrified with what she saw with her two eyes. “No! No! No!” she bawled. “Somebody help me! Help me!” She cried for help but no one was there. “My baby, please. Please save my baby. Luhan, our baby-” She muttered slowly while holding her stomach with tears flowed non-stop before everything turns black.

               Dr. Jimin walked along the corridor when she saw a familiar person lying on the floor. “Oh my god, Seohyun!” She ran towards her and tapped her cheek before taking out her phone. “Hello! Dr. Oh Jimin is here. I need an ambulance for Seohyun. Please be hurry!”

 


 

               Luhan couldn’t concentrate the lecture thinking where Seohyun is. She wasn’t in the class. Does she felt the sharp pain again? He could’ve texted him telling that she won’t be coming to class. He became more worried. Where is she?

               “That’s all for today.” The lecturer announced marking the end of the lesson. Luhan quickly packed his things and went out first without waiting his friends. While he was going down the stairs, he saw a group of students surrounded in front of the stairs. He took a peek and hoped that they didn’t surround Seohyun. He relieved when he saw the cleaner was mopping the floor but what so special about it? That cleaner working everyday and they saw them every day so there’s nothing to watch.

               “I wonder whose blood was that. Does that person fell from the stairs?” One of the students murmured which can be heard by Luhan clearly. Blood? Fell from stairs? No! No! Luhan shook his head to erase his thought about something might happen to Seohyun. She’s probably rest at the old infirmary. Yes, that’s it! She’s taking a rest.

               He bumped into Dr. Jimin and before he said anything, she told him devastating news. “Why are you here? You should go to the hospital now. Seohyun fell down from the stairs and she was bleeding.” He froze when he heard terrified news. No, this can’t be happening! Seohyun and his baby. “No!”

               Dr. Jimin gave her car key to him. Without waiting anymore, he rushed to Dr. Jimin’s car and sped to the Pyeonghwa Hospital.

 


 

               “Joohyun!” He went to her who was lying on the hospital bed unconsciously. “Joohyun, what happen to you?” His tears fell from his eyes. Why she have to suffer from this? The door was opened by his parents and then Mrs. Lu marched towards him and slapped him hardly. Mr. Lu held her so that she didn’t slap him again. Luhan confused with his mother’s action.

               “You useless kid! What have you done to her?” He didn’t get what his mother is talking about. “I didn’t do anything to her. Why did you slap me suddenly?”

               “How am I not mad at you, Luhan? You broke your promise for I don’t know how many times. You promised to us that you will take care of her but you didn’t. Look what happen to her! She lost the baby, Luhan! She’s miscarriage!” He gasped in shock when he found out that Seohyun is miscarriage. The baby that they waited for a long time is gone. He wondered what his sons would react if they know that they wouldn’t get a dongsaeng. They wanted a dongsaeng so much especially Sehun because he wanted to be a big brother to his dongsaeng.

               “I don’t want to see your face. Don’t you dare to come here until I say so. Get out!” She chased him out of the room.

               Luhan spent his time in the car crying thinking about Seohyun. He kept thinking why all bad things happened when she’s pregnant. He was so happy that Seohyun decided not to abort the baby although Seohyun and their baby received a lot of insults from other students. He never thought his happiness will be for a while and ended with this horrible outcome.

               While Luhan lamented in the car, his phone vibrated and it was a message from his father telling him to pick up his sons and brought them to the hospital but he was not allowed to enter Seohyun’s room.

               He reached at his sons’ kindergarten and they beamed when they saw their father picked them up. Appa, I want to eat.” The boys whined because they were hungry. He took them to their favorite food stall. He took his wallet but realized that he ran out of money. He told them that he needs to go to the bank.

               He looked at his money balance in his account. It has a huge amount of money because his father gave him money every month. Luhan realized that his family never uses his money to buy things that they needed. Seohyun insisted that she wanted to pay using her own money from her job rather than use his money whenever they went out. He wondered why she wanted to use her own money.

               He remembered when Seohyun turned 21 years old; she asked his parents’ permission for allowing her to work at The Grace Café as a cook. They against it at first but after Seohyun explained why she wanted to work; they allowed her with a condition that she only works as a cook. Her explanation still lingers in his mind; “I want to work because I thought that I should be like other families in my village. Other families worked very hard for their family, their children. They are really poor who struggled to find money so that their family can eat to survive and then there’s me who married with someone rich and I easily earn money without doing nothing unlike them. I should be fair to them. I can’t just look at them suffering and tired from work while I’m relaxing in the house while waiting for the money to come to me.” Luhan couldn’t help but to love her more after that.

               Luhan brought them to the hospital and took them to Seohyun’s room. He had to wait outside because his mother didn’t allow him to enter but managed to take a peek when his sons opened the door. She’s still unconscious. He looked at his watch and lunch will be over in 45 minutes before his next class starts. He left the hospital with heavy-heart.

 


 

               Luhan came back to the college in miserable state. He didn’t feel like want to go to the class and wanted to stay at home but since he used Dr. Jimin’s car, he had no choice but to come back. He gave Dr. Jimin’s car key to her. Looking at his depressed look, Dr. Jimin didn’t want to ask him anything about Seohyun but she offered him to stay at the infirmary if he didn’t want to go to class.

               He decided to go to the old infirmary which is Seohyun’s hiding place, to isolate himself from everyone. He wanted to be alone right now. He lied down on the bed and stared blankly on the ceiling. ‘Joohyun, what have I done? Because of me, we lost our baby. Why all this has to be happen? I’m such a bad husband and father. If only I told my friends about you earlier, I don’t have to keep this secret from everyone and we will be happy.’ He thought himself with tears brimmed in his eyes.

 


 

               He woke up from his sleep when his phone vibrated. Suho texted him asking where did he go and they want to go home. He quickly leaves the infirmary.

               In the limousine, Luhan didn’t speak at all. His friends asked him where he went during lunch time, why he skipped the class, why he looked so sullen and someone asked where is Seohyun making Luhan clenched his fist while blinked back his tears. He didn’t answer instead he took his earphone and listened to a song from his phone with a very high volume. Kris, Tao, Suho, and Chen who were sitting opposite to him, could hear the song that he’s listening to. They worried that it could damage his hearing.

               When he reached at the mansion, his parents and his sons were there. His sons looked so sad, probably because of their mother. “The boys will stay here and you will stay with Seohyun.” Mrs. Lu told him without looking. She’s still mad at him but she knows that her son love her so much and Seohyun will ask about Luhan when she wakes up so she allowed him to be with her. “Is she okay?” Mrs. Lu sighed and shook her head. She hasn’t wake up yet.

               “Mom, dad, I have something to tell you,” he took a deep breath and continued, “I want to work.” They were shock when he said that he wanted to work. Mr. Lu didn’t let him to work until he graduates. “No! You’re not allowed to work in my company until you’re graduated. I don’t want you to get distract from studies.” He reasoned out why he didn’t let him to work at his company. “I’m not saying that I want to work at your company. I want to work as a part-timer.”

               “Where?” Mrs. Lu asked in confusion. Why does he want to work suddenly? “I don’t know but maybe I work at Seohyun’s workplace.”

               “And what are you going to do there? Seohyun can cook but what about you? I don’t want you to work as a waiter. If you want to work, make sure that no one know or see you working. You will damage my image and reputation.” He didn’t want the societies to talk bad about his family and afraid that Luhan will get distract from his studies when he’s working.

               “Maybe I can apply as a dishwasher. It’s an easy job so I don’t have to worry about it.” Luhan thought about it. Seohyun told him that the workers who work at the kitchen are both cook and dishwasher. He thought that if he apply as a dishwasher, it would be easy for them to prepare the food while he just washes all the dishes.

               “But why?” The question that was bugging in their mind finally came out. “Do you know that my family never uses the money that you gave to me every month? She said that’s not our money and I wondered why she said that but now, I finally understand why she said that. She meant that money isn’t mine but yours. I remembered what she said when she asked your permission to work before that it’s not fair for a poor people work very hard for their family but she earned money without doing anything. I realized that I never did anything for my family. I’m 24 years old now and I’m the one who supposed to work as the leader of my family not Joohyun.”

               Mrs. Lu hugged him after he said that. She is proud with her son for being mature. She realized that she’s been spoiled him too much by giving everything to him because he’s the only son that she and her husband had been waiting for. It’s really hard for her to believe that he’s 24 years old and already have a family. Time flies so fast. He’s not Luhan that they used to pamper but a mature and responsible Luhan.

               Mr. Lu finally allowed him to work but he told him to make sure that no one knows about it.

 


 

               “Are you sure that you want to work here? As a dishwasher?” Stephanie asked Luhan disbelieve. Luhan nodded at her. He knew what he was doing. “But Luhan, why?”

               He explained to her everything why he wanted to work. Stephanie understood his intention but she needs to discuss with other manager. “I have to discuss with the other so that we know if they agree to let you work here.” He nodded and leaves the room. She said that she will call him for the result. He hoped that he will get that job even it is not too much.

 


 

               He went to the hospital and sat next to Seohyun’s bed. He stared at Seohyun’s stomach for a long time thinking that their baby is no longer in there. He rubbed her stomach smoothly while holding her hand with his other hand and kissed the back of her hand. Then, he her head before kissed her forehead and her lips lightly.

               He softly whispered to her, “Promise to that you will wake up when I’m here.” Those are the words that he said 4 years ago. He put his head near her stomach while holding her hand and closed his eyes.

 


~4 years ago~

               Sunlight hit on Luhan’s face making him stirred in his sleep. He groaned while putting his hand to his right side and got up quickly when he noticed that Seohyun wasn’t on his side. He got off from the bed while roaming his room to find her. He relieved when he saw Seohyun at the balcony of their room and went to her.

               He back hugged her and kissed her cheek before resting his chin on her shoulder. “You scare me to death. Don’t do this to me. Don’t leave me just like that.” He whispered to her, his arms that wrapped around her were above her belly. Seohyun has been pregnant for 7 months but until now Luhan still doesn’t accept that baby.

               She removed his hands and turned to him. Her sad gaze met with his doe eyes. They stared at each other’s eyes before Seohyun passed out in Luhan’s arms.

 


 

               Luhan and his parents sat on the seat provided near the operation theater room at the hospital. Taemin and Jongin were playing around oblivious to their gloomy surrounding. Seohyun was sent for operation due to her tumor had almost reached to cancer stage and must be removed immediately. Mr. and Mrs. Lu worried about the baby as well as Seohyun. The doctor said that she will try her best to save the baby and Seohyun. They were happy that both of them will safe.

               Dr. Zhang came out making them rushed towards her to ask about Seohyun and her baby. “It’s a baby boy and we have to use C-section to deliver her baby. But the baby is premature and he’s too weak. We have to put in incubator but  I don’t know if the baby manages to survive or not because he's only 7 months in womb. Only time will tell.” Mr. and Mrs. Lu were happy mixed with worried about the baby. Now, they hope that Seohyun will survive as well.

               Seohyun is in the operation theater for her next operation; tumor removal. Luhan couldn’t sleep because he kept thinking about Seohyun from morning till now. He didn’t care about his newborn son at all. ‘Joohyun, please don’t leave me. I’m not ready for that.’ He thought himself while thinking about Seohyun’s fate.

               The doctor came out from the operation theater and his face looks like he’s going to tell a bad news. ‘No! Tell me that Joohyun is okay. She does survive.’ He hoped that she’s fine. Nothing is bad going to happen to her. If she’s managed to survive, he will accept that baby as their son.

               We managed to remove the tumor but there was a problem and she’s in comatose.” The doctor announced to them. Luhan felt breathless at this moment. He was glad that she didn’t leave him but comatose is definitely scared him. He didn’t know when Seohyun will wake up. He heard that there’s a person who in comatose for 5 years but what he fears the most that she died during comatose. He wanted to be by her side until she wakes up no matter how long it takes.

 


 

               Seohyun was placed in the intensive care unit ward and Mr. and Mrs. Lu carried Taemin and Jongin to meet their little brother. Indeed, he was so little. According to the nurse, he was only 1.5kg. They looked at him who was in the incubator. Will he able to survive with this little body? Luhan stood far from the nursery. He had no mood to look at his newborn son.

               Mrs. Lu called him to look at his son but he didn’t move from his spot at all. She had to force him to come by pulling his ear and went to the nursery. “Look at your son. He’s so small. You’re like this when you were born except that you were slightly bigger and weighed more than him.” His mother reminisced about the memory of her giving birth to him. “Look at his face carefully. Don’t you see that he’s slightly look like Seohyun?” Luhan scoffed at his mother when she said that. But when he looked carefully, it’s true that he does slightly look like Seohyun. Is this what Seohyun gave to him when she leaves him? Their son that looks like her? But he knows that he will cry if he saw him because he will misses her so much.

               “You should give a name for him now, Luhan. We can’t be late for naming him and we need to register for his birth certificate.” His mother told him. Naming his son? He never once thought about that. His mother pestered him to give his a son a name. “Sehun.” That’s what that came out from his mouth to shut his mother. “Why Sehun?” Luhan didn’t understand why his mother asked why he gave his son’s name 'Sehun' when she was the one who asked him to name his son.

               “From Joohyun’s name.” He answered shortly. He took Seohyun instead of Joohyun that he always calls her to name his son. Just throw two letters and he got his son’s name.

 


 

               The doctor allowed them to visit Seohyun but only one people at one time before she will send to the normal ward. Luhan sat beside her bed and held her hand. “Joohyun, doctor told me that you’ll be able to survive if you wake up. So, I want you to wake up. Please wake up for me. I don’t want you to go. If you wake up, I will accept that baby as our son. I named him Sehun. I took it from your name. Mom told me that he looks like you and he was so small just like me. Joohyun, will you promise to me? Promise to me that you will wake up when I’m around, okay?”