A Contract

The Love Replacement
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you okay?”

Park Shin Hye was lost in her deep thoughts and didn’t realize that her boyfriend, Lee Jong Suk was now sitting beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. His soft voice slowly creeps into her ears, bringing her back to the reality.

She looked at him and smiled warmly. “I’m okay. Why?”

Jong Suk pulled her closer to him and embraced her into his arms. “Since we came back to your apartment, you have been very quiet. Is there anything bothering you? Did my family say anything that… hurt your feelings tonight?”

Shin Hye quickly shook her head. “Of course not.” She sighed silently. His family didn’t say anything that hurt her but one of his family members did something that hurt her before. “Your parents are very nice to me. I was quite surprise with how three of them can live under a same roof so peacefully. It’s really not easy to share a man with another woman.” At least she can’t. She might look soft and generous but deep inside of her, she is a possessive person. She can’t and never will let herself to share a man with another woman, even the woman only stay in his heart, she don’t think she can do it. Not after what had happened before. She will not let her heart to go through the same pain again.

Jong Suk let out a helpless smile. “When you fall in love with a selfish man, heartache is the consequence that a woman needs to bear.”

Shin Hye pulled back slightly and looked up at him. “Your mother must have suffers a lot.”

Jong Suk sighed deeply. “I can’t say she is the only one who suffers in their relationship. No matter what, my mother is still a third party. She did a mistake that almost destroy a family. And I’m the product of their mistake. I’m sure eomeoni hurts a lot in the process. That was why I’ll try my best not to be visible in that house. I don’t want to take anything that was supposed to be hers and my brother. This is the difference between men and women. Men are selfish when it comes to love. They are only capable to ask and take. But in comparison, women are selfless when they truly love a person. They only give and never ask anything in return.”

He looked at Shin Hye and caressed her cheek gently. “I won’t be like my father. If I love that person, I will love her full heartedly without even looking at others. And I already found that woman I wanted to give my whole heart to her.”

Shin Hye held his gaze for a long while before she averted her gaze and buried her face against his chest. “This is because you haven’t really met someone that could make your heart waver for her.”

Jong Suk pulled back and looked at her. “You don’t trust me?”

I don’t trust myself. Shin Hye sighed silently as she placed her hand against his chest, feeling his steady and strong heartbeat. “Your heart is too kind. I’m worried that I will hurt it one day.” She was sure the pain that she will bring to him will be unbearable when he find out about her past with his brother. “If one day you really found someone that can make you love her more, you just need to tell me. I won’t hate you.”

Jong Suk’s face hardened and felt a pang of disappointment in his heart. “You have such a low confidence in me? Because my father has two wives and you think his son would be the same too?”

Not you but me. I have no confidence in myself because I have a dark past with your brother. A past that she had buried inside of her for a long time but finally resurfaced again after the dinner tonight.

“I won’t be like him. Even my brother is not like him. I will be like my brother, only stay loyal to one woman.” Jong Suk continued.

Shin Hye looked up at him in instant when she heard what Jong Suk just said. “Y-Your brother?”

“Hmmm…” Jong Suk nodded. “After three years, he is still waiting for her.”

Shin Hye bit her lip. “His fiancée that he said missing 3 years ago?”

“Yes. So Ra’s parents were my family close friends since I haven’t even born yet. They always brought So Ra to our house to play with us. She was a very soft and a very kind person. As far as I remember, I never see her angry before. She treated everyone so good, so honest and everybody in the house like her so much. We were so worried about her when her parents died in an accident. She was only 10 years old at that time. My brother was there for her the entire time and I think that was when their love story started. My father brought So Ra to stay with us since she don’t have any other relative.” He paused and smiled slightly. “My brother treated her like a princess. He loves her, adores her, protect her and both of them were just like a match made in heaven. Although my brother can be very cold towards people but whenever he was with So Ra, you will not believe he has a very soft side too.”

Soft side?! Shin Hye smiled bitterly. Yes, she knows. She saw that before and at that very second, she thought that softness, that gentleness was meant for her. But she guessed she was wrong.

Jong Suk sighed. “Until now I still don’t understand what happened to So Ra. She loves my brother so much and I would not believe that she will just run away without a word. We have been looking for her everywhere but she just disappeared as if vanished into the thin air. There were no records of her leaving Korea, no records of her in any hospital, police station. My brother almost went crazy and even though he tried to act strong in front of us but the pain in his eyes, I will never forget.”

Shin Hye inhaled a soft breath. “He… He is alone all these while?”

Jong Suk nodded. “Yes. He put all his time, his attention in his work. No matter how eomeoni encourage him to forget about So Ra and start a new relationship, he just wouldn’t listen. He is still waiting for her. He really loves her a lot.”

More pains attacked Shin Hye’s heart and she even started to feel difficult to breathe. He was right. Min Ho love So Ra a lot. She already knows about this very clearly since 3 years ago.

Jong Suk looked down at her and held her gaze. “It’s just like how much I love you too. I’d spent the past 2 years to woo you and make you say yes without giving up. You should understand how deep is my love for you. How can you still have doubts about me?”

Shin Hye let out a soft sigh as she cupped his face. “I don’t have doubts about you. You are just too… good and I don’t have confidence that I could treat you right. You are the last person I would want to hurt in this world.”

Jong Suk smiled at her. “You wouldn’t hurt me. Every tiny little thing you do for me will only make me love you even more. Nothing you could do that possibly hurt me. I’m very sure about that.” He said as he took her hand and kissed it softly.

Shin Hye pursed her lips. “Why do you love me so much?”

“Because you’re worth it.” He said as he leaned down and kissed her lips tenderly. He held the back of her head, drawing her closer as he deepened the kiss when she responded. The kiss becoming more passionate and he slowly pushed her backward, laying her down on the couch with him on top of her.

Shin Hye gasped softly when she felt his kisses moved from her lips down to her neck. One of his hands was under the hem of her blouse, slowly moving up to her back. She knows if she doesn’t stop him now, it would lead to something that she wasn’t ready to do it with him yet. She placed her hand against his chest and pushed him softly.

“Jong Suk…” She whispered.

“Hmmm?” He asked between his kisses.

“I-It’s late now. You should go home.” She said.

Jong Suk immediately stopped what he was doing and pulled back slightly, looking at her. Her eyes were held low as her face was flushed. He inhaled a deep breath. “I’m sorry… I… I was carried away.”

Shin Hye slowly looked back at him when she heard the nervousness in his voice. She smiled softly before pulling him down and kissed his lips. “Don’t be sorry. I’m okay.”

Jong Suk smiled too. “I can’t stay over tonight?”

“Nope. You can’t.” Shin Hye shook her head with another smile.

Jong Suk let out a long sigh. “Okay. I was just trying my luck.”

Shin Hye laughed softly.

Jong Suk nuzzled his nose against hers. “When do you think I can pass the first base and go to the second base or maybe the third… ouch…”

Shin Hye cut him off by hitting his chest. “ert.”

Jong Suk pulled himself up and sat on the couch. “Who can stop being a ert when they are with you?”

Shin Hye straightened herself up and pinched his nose. “You are the only ert I know so far.”

Jong Suk laughed as he pulled her into his arms again. “I love you.” He said as he buried his nose in her hair.

Shin Hye sighed silently as she closed her eyes. She just couldn’t bring the same words out of whenever Jong Suk said that three words to her. She hates herself for that. She hates herself for being so selfish and cruel to him.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Min Ho glanced at his watch before looking out the window again. It was 12.30 am now but there was still no sign of Jong Suk’s car coming home yet. He smirked at himself. What else can a man do in his girlfriend’s house at this hour? He knows he shouldn’t feel like that but just by thinking about it, his heart was burning in rage. Seeing Shin Hye here tonight was a big shock to him but knowing she is with his brother now makes him suffocated. It has been 3 years since that night, the last time he saw her. After she was gone, he didn’t search for her because he was sure that she will come back to him. He knows she love him very much that she won’t be able to survive without him. But he guessed he was just overconfident. She didn’t come back and now, she has become his brother’s girlfriend. This angered him even more.

He was pulled back from his deep thoughts when he heard someone knocked the door. He walked back to his table and sat down on the chair. “Come in.” He said as he flipped the file opened.

Kim Mi Kyung entered the room with a cup in her hands. She smiled at her son as she placed the cup on the table before sitting in front of him. “It’s ginseng tea.”

Min Ho looked up at his mother and smiled slightly. “Thank you.”

“Very busy?” Kim Mi Kyung asked as she watched him signing some documents.

Without looking at her, Min Ho just nodded coldly. “Yes.”

“Your father is quite anxious with Jong Suk’s future. What position are you planning to let Jong Suk try in the company?” Kim Mi Kyung asked cautiously.

Min Ho stopped hand’s movement as he inhaled deeply. He looked at his mother again. “He just graduated and don’t have experience. I might let him start as a management trainee first. I will assess from his performance and see which department suit him. I will slowly train him from there.”

Kim Mi Kyung creased her brows. “Train him to become what? Train him to become an heir of Lotte and take over your place?”

Min Ho sighed deeply. “You know Jong Suk. He is not an ambitious person and he doesn’t like to fight. He knows his position in this house and he knows where he stands. He won’t go across the line.”

“We never know that. He might not want to fight but it doesn’t mean his mother will stay quiet. Even though he is just an illegitimate son but he is still your father’s own blood and flesh.” Kim Mi Kyung argued.

Min Ho leaned back against the chair as he crossed his arms. “Are we going back to that topic again?” He asked in frustration.

Kim Mi Kyung sighed heavily. “Stop thinking about So Ra and move on. Do you really think she will still come back? If she really loves you, she won’t run away from you and she even left you on the wedding day. You are just wasting your time.”

Min Ho clenched his jaw. “This has nothing to do with So Ra.”

“It does. You are losing your fighting spirit because of her. You are losing yourself because of her. It has been 3 years already and you still couldn’t get over the fact that she left you because she doesn’t love you.” Kim Mi Kyung snapped.

Min Ho’s eyes darkened. “She is Kang So Ra. You know her better than anyone. She is not a person who will run away without leaving a word. She is selfless and will only think about others first. She wouldn’t hurt me like that. Something must have happened to her.” He paused as he breathed a deep air. “Even if you are right and she doesn’t love me, she owed me an explanation. I need to know what makes her leave me at the altar without telling me anything.”

“I’m just speaking the truth. Look at the dinner tonight. Can you see how happy your father was? He likes the girl that you brother brought back tonight. He always thinks a man will be more reliable when he has a family. You should stop wasting your time to wait for someone who won’t come back to you. Just find someone like how your brother did and start a family.” Kim Mi Kyung said again.

Min Ho exhaled sharply as he averted his gaze, looking back at the documents on the table. “I have a lot of works to do. I don’t want to continue with this conversation anymore. It’s late now. You should go to sleep.”

Kim Mi Kyung saw her son’s cold expression and she knows this conversation have to stop before he loses his control. She let out another sigh before she stood up of the chair.

Min Ho put his pen down when his mother was gone as he inhaled a deep breath. He moved his hand to his neck and held onto the two rings that were hanging on the necklace. That was supposed to be their wedding bands. It has been hanging on his neck for the past 3 years. His mother’s voice keeps replaying in his mind. She was right. It has been 3 damn years and why he still hasn’t move on yet? Or did he? He looked down and opened the drawer at the side and took an envelope out. He pulled the paper out from the envelope and stared mindlessly at the words on top of the paper.

 

‘CONTRACT’

Made on 17th January of 2011 (The Commencement Date)

Between

Lee Min Ho

And

Park Shin Hye

 

Looking at the contract while his hand caressing the rings, he started to question himself whether he was actually waiting for the owner of the ring or the signee of this contract.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

3 years ago…

 

“Give me nine million now… and you can have all of me.”

Min Ho held her eyes for a long minute before he slowly stood up and walked towards her. He stopped two feet away from her to prevent himself lunged at her again. His eyes slowly gazed down and found her whole body was actually trembling. Her both hands were clenching so hard into fists that her knuckles turned white. He shifted his gaze upward again  and the bruise at the side of her lips caught his attention first. The picture of him kissing her roughly a while ago replayed in his mind again. He was the one who bruised her lips. Her face was pale, so much paler than before she ran out of this room. Her eyes were red and puffy. She cried and he was sure something happened that make her changed her mind.

He was still in his ty mood just now but when he saw her like this, everything was as if paused for her. She doesn’t only make him calm; she can even make his world stop for her. No! He shouted inside. It was not her. He felt like this because of So Ra, not her. He kept reminding himself. He closed his eyes briefly as he shook his head, forced himself to stay clear and rational. But how can he stay rational when all the alcohols were intoxicating his mind now. He opened his eyes again and stared dangerously at Shin Hye.

“I thought you said your pride is priceless. What make you changed your mind?” He asked hoarsely.

Shin Hye bit her lower lip, trying hard to hold her tears. She has to be strong especially in front of this man. She is discussing a deal with him. If she wants to save her grandmother, she has to win no matter what. She inhaled deeply. “I just found out that my pride is actually cost nothing.” She replied bitterly. “What I need now is money not my damn pride or dignity.”

Min Ho narrowed his eyes when he saw the tears pooling in her eyes. He took one step closer until they were just inches apart. “Do you know what it means when you accept my money?” He tilted her chin up with his fingers, forcing her to look at him. “It will not be as simple as just asking questions with you answering it. What I need you to do will be much more than that.”

Shin Hye looked straight into his eyes and nodded softly. “I know.”

Min Ho smirked. “You know? I don’t think you do.”

Shin Hye started to panic as time slowly ticking away. She moved her hands to his arms and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter